Resource SM LC Roles Compendium

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
approved by macle & Fiend
beautiful banner by Bummer

In a tier as rich and diverse as Little Cup, it can sometimes be difficult to pick the perfect Pokemon to fill a certain role on your team; newcomers might use ineffective or suboptimal Pokemon, and established players may find themselves in a Mienfoo / Pawniard / Vullaby rut! This is the central issue behind the creation of the LC Role Compendium! The following post will visually showcase the various Pokemon in Little Cup that fulfill given roles, from entry hazard support to Shell Smash sweepers and beyond! Each major section will cover a general role that a Pokemon can carry out, while its subsequent subsections will give a specific list of Pokemon that can accomplish the given role. This compendium will hopefully improve the diversity of teams and prompt discussion on new roles that certain Pokemon can undertake. Feel free to discuss whether a Pokemon should be added to or removed from a certain role; however, please refrain from discussing the order of a given subsection unless something is wildly off! The subsections are listed roughly in order of viability, so if you have any problems with placement, that discussion is probably better suited for the Viability Rankings thread. For now, though, enjoy the roles compendium!

========​

Section I: Generally Good Pokemon

Generally Good Offensive Pokemon
These Pokemon have good offensive presence, both alone and as a teammate.

Generally Good Defensive Pokemon
These Pokemon have good defensive presence or utility.

========
Section II: Entry Hazard Control

Damaging Entry Hazard Setters
These Pokemon have access to Stealth Rock, Spikes, and/or Toxic Spikes.

Sticky Web Setters
These Pokemon have access to Sticky Web.

Entry Hazard Removers
These Pokemon have access to Rapid Spin or Defog. (Natu not included)

Spinblockers and Defog Deterrents
These Pokemon deter the removal of entry hazards via their typing or Ability.

========​

Section III: Specific Offensive Roles

Choice Scarf Users
These Pokemon make good use of a Choice Scarf due to high powered attacks and/or access to a pivot move.

Wallbreakers
These Pokemon use high-powered attacks and/or good coverage to break through defensive cores.

Item Removers
These Pokemon use Knock Off or Thief to remove foes' items.

Priority Attack Users
These Pokemon have access to a useful priority attack, such as Sucker Punch or Aqua Jet.

Offensive Pivots
These Pokemon have access to a pivoting move, such as U-turn or Volt Switch, and use it to switch in and out to gain momentum.

Trappers
These Pokemon use Arena Trap, Shadow Tag, Magnet Pull, or Pursuit to trap and remove certain threats.

Set-up Sweepers
These Pokemon use boosting moves to improve their stats and attempt to KO opposing Pokemon.

Baton Pass Users
These Pokemon use boosting moves and Baton Pass to boost the stats of a teammate; this includes full Baton Pass chains.

========​

Section IV: Specific Defensive Roles

Walls
These Pokemon check threats with their good defensive stats and typings.

Defensive Pivots
These Pokemon have access to good bulk and recovery, allowing them to repeatedly regain defensive momentum.

Clerics
These Pokemon use Heal Bell or Aromatherapy to cure the status of their teammates.

Wish Passers
These Pokemon use the move Wish to restore their teammates HP.

Healing Wish Users
These Pokemon use the move Healing Wish to fully restore the HP and status of a teammate.

========​

Section V: Checks to Important Pokemon

Mienfoo Checks
These Pokemon check Mienfoo.

Timburr Checks
These Pokemon check Timburr.

Vullaby Checks
These Pokemon check Vullaby.

Pawniard Checks
These Pokemon check Pawniard.

Abra Checks
These Pokemon check Abra.

Gastly Checks
These Pokemon check Gastly.

Scraggy Checks
These Pokemon check Scraggy.

Shellder Checks
These Pokemon check Shellder.

Snivy Checks
These Pokemon check Snivy.

Zigzagoon Checks
These Pokemon check Zigzagoon.

========​

Section VI: Weather Playstyles & Checks

Sand Setters
These Pokemon use Sand Stream or Sandstorm to change the weather to Sand.

Sand Sweepers
These Pokemon use Sand Rush or Sand Force to take advantage of Sand.

Sand Checks
These Pokemon change the weather from Sand or beat common Sand Sweepers one on one.

Hail Setters
These Pokemon use Snow Warning or Hail to change the weather to Hail.

Hail Sweepers
These Pokemon use Slush Rush or Snow Cloak to take advantage of Hail.

Hail Checks
These Pokemon change the weather from Hail or beat common Hail Sweepers one on one.

========
Section VII: Type-Spam Playstyles & Checks
Water-Spam Pokemon
These Pokemon excel at breaking down shared checks with other Water-type teammates.

Flying-Spam Pokemon
These Pokemon excel at breaking down shared checks with other Flying-type teammates.

Dark-Spam Pokemon
These Pokemon excel at breaking down shared checks with other Dark-type teammates.

Fighting-Spam Pokemon
These Pokemon excel at breaking down shared checks with other Fighting-type teammates.

Checks to Water-Spam
These Pokemon can hold up against several Water-type threats in the same match.

Checks to Flying-Spam
These Pokemon can hold up against several Flying-type threats in the same match.

Checks to Dark-Spam
These Pokemon can hold up against several Dark-type threats in the same match.

Checks to Fighting-Spam
These Pokemon can hold up against several Fighting-type threats in the same match.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is awesome! Literally the best resource anyone could hope for.

Also I think you should add Fletchling to Flying-spam. Sure it isn't as good, but it can still perform its main role easier when partnered with Doduo.

E: also add it to Snivy checks as it revenge kills it very easily as long as Stealth Rock isn't up.

I think you should add pikipek to flying spam pokemon. It is in an good speed tier, strong brave bird, and good coverage such as bullet seed and brick break which can help some other flying types in flying spam. It can run a choice scarf set (which is p good with uturn [which could maybe mean it can be added into offensive pivots oo] and other things and pikipek isnt listed in scarfers.) and a life orb set which can both help flying spam teams.

Also add stufful to ziggy checks (+6 196+ Atk Zigzagoon Extreme Speed vs. 116 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Fur Coat Stufful: 10-13 (40 - 52%) -- 9% chance to 2HKO) and pawn checks even tho it doesnt like knock off and being worn down it can beat pawn and not take a lot of damage from it.
(dont mind fur coat btw fluffy calc wasnt working)

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is awesome! Literally the best resource anyone could hope for.

Also I think you should add Fletchling to Flying-spam. Sure it isn't as good, but it can still perform its main role easier when partnered with Doduo.

E: also add it to Snivy checks as it revenge kills it very easily as long as Stealth Rock isn't up.
I added Fletchling to Flying-spam but not to Snivy Checks. It can't ever switch in unless it can pop its Berry Juice, and even then that will only work once.
Rufflet ought to be added as a wallbreaker.
Also, unless the 20% miss chance is the reason it's not counted as such, Rufflet's a check for Mienfoo, Timburr, Pawniard, Scraggy, and Snivy.
I added Rufflet as a wallbreaker, a Timburr check, and a Scraggy set. 0 Atk Mienfoo HJK OHKOs Scarf Rufflet with rocks up, and any non-scarf version is outsped and 2HKOd. Pawniard hits it on the switch and Sucker Punches it against Roost which makes it very very shaky due to a number of 50/50s and speed ties, and Snivy outspeeds, Glares, and Substitutes to fish for a miss or a para. The other two are good tho
I think you should add pikipek to flying spam pokemon. It is in an good speed tier, strong brave bird, and good coverage such as bullet seed and brick break which can help some other flying types in flying spam. It can run a choice scarf set (which is p good with uturn [which could maybe mean it can be added into offensive pivots oo] and other things and pikipek isnt listed in scarfers.) and a life orb set which can both help flying spam teams.

Also add stufful to ziggy checks (+6 196+ Atk Zigzagoon Extreme Speed vs. 116 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Fur Coat Stufful: 10-13 (40 - 52%) -- 9% chance to 2HKO) and pawn checks even tho it doesnt like knock off and being worn down it can beat pawn and not take a lot of damage from it.
(dont mind fur coat btw fluffy calc wasnt working)
did these. I forgot Pikipek existed lmao

Thanks for your input!

Maybe add Natu as an entry hazard remover/preventer, because that's basically its job (granted, the way it prevents hazard-setting is weird and unique, so I don't know where you would put it).

Berks

has a Calm Mind
Add Jangmo-o to Sun checks. Bulletproof beats Bellsprout and it resists Fire Blast from Vulpix.
did it

Maybe add Natu as an entry hazard remover/preventer, because that's basically its job (granted, the way it prevents hazard-setting is weird and unique, so I don't know where you would put it).
Natu literally can lose to every single entry hazard setter because they all have knock off or rock blast. Imma leave this one off for now.

Natu literally can lose to every single entry hazard setter because they all have knock off or rock blast. Imma leave this one off for now.
Don't really care whether or not Natu gets added to that category, but I just want to point out that, while Natu loses 1v1 to every rocks setter (except Ferroseed) it usually does its job, at least in my experience via the mind games magic bounce plays with the opponent. When they see a Natu, they're less likely to click the hazards button and more likely just try to predict your ass. Natu can definitely do the job of deterring hazards, you just have to play it correctly

Amaura and Hippopotas to hazard setters

Rowlet to hazard removers

Bulbasaur to sweepers

Snover to sun checks

I don't think Snivy is worth mentioning in defog deterents. Every defog user beats it unless the Snivy is really lucky with its evasion boost.

Great resource, you did an amazing job with it :toast:

Can we please get a list of viable knock off users added to offense roles? Though this page already makes team building pretty convenient, being able to look up all the knock off users, at a glance, would be icing on the cake.

Can we please get a list of viable knock off users added to offense roles? Though this page already makes team building pretty convenient, being able to look up all the knock off users, at a glance, would be icing on the cake.
I agree that would be super convenient considering the prevalence of knock off, and oftentimes offensive cores rely on these knock off users to cripple defensive mons that would otherwise hold down the fort. Off the top of my head here are some mons that use knock off effectively.

Defensive
-vullaby
-ferroseed
-cottonee
-mienfoo (bulky pivot)
-tirtouga (rocks tank)
- snubbull (thief?)

Offensive
- pawniard
- vullaby (offensive spread)
- mienfoo
- timburr
- snubbull (thief?)
- sandshrew (sand teams)

I know I'm missing a lot but I'm at school I'll edit later with more to help, if you choose to add this.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
relevant KO users:
Abra, Aipom, Archen, Corphish, Cottonee, Croagunk, Doduo, Dwebble, Ferroseed, Grimer-Alola, Inkay, Kabuto, Lickitung, Meowth, Mienfoo, Omanyte, Pancham, Pawniard, Sandshrew, Scraggy, Snivy, Timburr, Tirtouga, Vullaby

Clouds

False Pretenses
is a Forum Moderatoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Don't really care whether or not Natu gets added to that category, but I just want to point out that, while Natu loses 1v1 to every rocks setter (except Ferroseed) it usually does its job, at least in my experience via the mind games magic bounce plays with the opponent. When they see a Natu, they're less likely to click the hazards button and more likely just try to predict your ass. Natu can definitely do the job of deterring hazards, you just have to play it correctly
Strongly agree with this, of course its an optional add; but Natu being the only Magic Bouncer in LC, it's certainly unique and unexpected, and on most teams it's done me incredibly well as an entry hazard prevention. And since it's relatively fast, focus sash is an alternative to hazard setters with knock off. Rock blast is the only thing that really screws it over.

Berks

has a Calm Mind
Strongly agree with this, of course its an optional add; but Natu being the only Magic Bouncer in LC, it's certainly unique and unexpected, and on most teams it's done me incredibly well as an entry hazard prevention. And since it's relatively fast, focus sash is an alternative to hazard setters with knock off. Rock blast is the only thing that really screws it over.
added a disclaimer but Natu doesn't technically remove hazards and i don't wanna reword my section so \_(*~*)_/

add Sandshrew to hazard setters
done

Amaura and Hippopotas to hazard setters

Rowlet to hazard removers

Bulbasaur to sweepers

Snover to sun checks

I don't think Snivy is worth mentioning in defog deterents. Every defog user beats it unless the Snivy is really lucky with its evasion boost.

Great resource, you did an amazing job with it :toast:
done and thanks n_n

Houndour should be added to Trappers because it can run Pursuit.
I don't think Snivy should be in Clerics because Aromatherapy is incompatible with Contrary.
done

I agree that would be super convenient considering the prevalence of knock off, and oftentimes offensive cores rely on these knock off users to cripple defensive mons that would otherwise hold down the fort. Off the top of my head here are some mons that use knock off effectively.

Defensive
-vullaby
-ferroseed
-cottonee
-mienfoo (bulky pivot)
-tirtouga (rocks tank)
- snubbull (thief?)

Offensive
- pawniard
- vullaby (offensive spread)
- mienfoo
- timburr
- snubbull (thief?)
- sandshrew (sand teams)

I know I'm missing a lot but I'm at school I'll edit later with more to help, if you choose to add this.
relevant KO users:
Abra, Aipom, Archen, Corphish, Cottonee, Croagunk, Doduo, Dwebble, Ferroseed, Grimer-Alola, Inkay, Kabuto, Lickitung, Meowth, Mienfoo, Omanyte, Pancham, Pawniard, Sandshrew, Scraggy, Snivy, Timburr, Tirtouga, Vullaby
this has been added to Section III: Specific Offensive Roles as Item Removers! It was expanded from Knock Off Users to Item Removers to include Snubbull's prominent Thief set and Zigzagoon's use of Thief as a coverage move and replacement for its consumed Berry Juice

Stick mag on abra checks. Also timb to breakers imo due to the iron fist Ada Timb gaining popularity and nothing isn't 2hkoed bar Spritz and Snub. And Phanpy on knock users

With things like Deerling and Petilil already there, Cherubi should be added to Sun Sweepers too, since while it is not the most viable thing, it definitely has a niche in Healing Wish alongside a strong Weather Ball.

I'm probably missing something but isn't Beat Up Diglett a viable Abra check? I don't have any problems with it personally, it seems to work very well. The only issue I see is that it really only helps with Abra and Gastly, so it may be considered a waste of a move slot, though potential for said fourth move slot honestly doesn't affect Diglett too harshly for it to not be considered.

Berks

has a Calm Mind
I'm probably missing something but isn't Beat Up Diglett a viable Abra check? I don't have any problems with it personally, it seems to work very well. The only issue I see is that it really only helps with Abra and Gastly, so it may be considered a waste of a move slot, though potential for said fourth move slot honestly doesn't affect Diglett too harshly for it to not be considered.
Originally as I was typing up this resource I left Diglett off of the Abra checks section because Diglett is quite frail, and because it is reliant on other members of the team not being fainted. However, I suppose--with use of the reasonably common Focus Sash or a direct switch on a predicted Abra Substitute, Protect, Counter, or Hidden Power--there are enough feasible situations in which Diglett can switch into Abra (only needing to do so once greatly aids Diglett here) that it could be considered a check. Diglett will be added shortly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)