NU Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Manectricide So first off, I don't know how you claim that Silvally does a respectable amount to Steelix (+2 252 Atk Silvally Flame Charge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 96-114 (27.1 - 32.2%) -- 47.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery) with this kind of paltry damage. It's also important to note how well Silvally stacks up against potential competition and how well it can perform its role(s), so let's analyze what Silvally can offer to a team. Silvally's apparent niche is being some sort of SD Normal-type holepuncher, but it's not alone in that role (Zangoose, Ursaring, Sawsbuck, even Bibarel), and its competition can either offer equal if not more raw power without any need for a Z-move or have better coverage moves. In that case, we'll look at Silvally's other advantages, namely its bulk and ability to boost Speed with Flame Charge. However, Silvally has no usable resistances and no recovery, which in turn makes it difficult to pull off both a Swords Dance and a Flame Charge without putting Silvally at risk from either excessive damage and especially status, making optimal setup opportunities considerably few. On one hand, Flame Charge Silvally can be somewhat cute against offensive teams since it can threaten a KO with Z-Explosion against many offensive Pokemon, including various Choice Scarf users. However, the huge fundamental flaw with this Silvally set (aside from being deadweight against the majority of bulkier teams since they have extremely sturdy Normal resists) is that, even if it is functioning on all cylinders, it is too reliant on surprise factor to consistently work; opponents aware of the set's nature could potentially bait out the Z-Explosion and force the actual Explosion (which can still be baited!) since Silvally's other moves are simply too weak for backup neutral attacks. You may say that forcing the opponent to sac their Pokemon is noteworthy, but there are a ton of setup sweepers that can force similar situations while being far more competent at actually cleaning games. The notions of considering Double-Edge over Explosion or even contemplating Darkinium Z on Silvally honestly just throw away Silvally's niche, since the former drastically cuts into Silvally's raw strength/killing power while the latter ruins the point of the whole set, so they aren't much help at all. There are numerous other 'usable' Pokemon in NU that are currently unranked (like the other SD Normal-types I mentioned earlier), but I don't believe Silvally warrants being ranked atm.

Seconding the Meloetta rise; it's easily the runner-up to being the next S Rank due to its unholy tankiness and versatility, possessing powerful neutral coverage and an array of methods to break through its checks, such as SubCM for Slowking and Fairium Z to wipe out Spiritomb. Melo also has an acceptable Speed tier and is the tier's best answer for specially offensive Ghost-types, giving it good utility in many matches. Meloetta is just an extremely dangerous Pokemon that all teams should definitely prepare for.

Disjunction is right about Cinccino, and it's not just Cofagrigus that is a significant bother to it; the prevalence of Steelix and especially Rocky Helmet Garbodor mean that Cinccino isn't breaking as much as is advertised, which is giving Tauros the better edge amongst the current NU physical Normal-types atm. Cinccino does still do a bang-up job of snatching momentum off Sash leads though, such as Archeops, Vivillon, Omastar, etc.

Last edited:

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm back with another nomination that will get shot down quicker than I can say, eeve... I really don't care if it is or isn't ranked, but I want to share it because I find that it's quite overlooked in the current meta especially when it is a legitimate threat; Jumpluff to c-/c from unranked!

Jumpluff
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Sleep Powder
- Seed Bomb

Jumpluff was a rather fun and niche mon back in the ORAS metagame but never really one that people used a lot, which is a shame. It has a really nice base speed stat of 110 (hitting 350 with maximum investment) which, in a more settled meta, lets it outspeed a lot of the current mons. It also doubles as the fastest non-scarfed user of sleep in the tier which is cool af, and it smacks Virizion hard which is also nice. Yeah, I know that it's hard countered by Steelix, but I really don't see that as a valid enough reason not to use it. It also has competition with Sceptile and Whimsicott, but neither have access to Sleep Powder which gives Jumpluff its specific niche at the moment.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7nubeta-593748211
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7nubeta-593742198
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7nubeta-593030352

Next up is a mon that during the end of ORAS wasn't really that good, and it may seem that it struggles in the current SM meta, but I believe that it's actually a really good mon and deserves a higher rank; Poliwrath to c+/b- from c!

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Scald / Circle Throw
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

The best Sneasel check in the tier at the moment, Poliwrath seems to not get much attention, mainly due to the millions of bulky waters in the tier, yet it cripples or beats many of these water types. I find that the only viable set in this meta is Toxic with Resttalk, because it gives it longevity and makes it a hard counter to Sneasel, whilst also being able to cripple most common switch-ins with Toxic and stall out things that usually give the more offensive sets a lot of trouble. I don't really have many replays of this one but considering it's more of a general showing of a previously decent set rather than showing off something new and wild, I don't think it really needs any.

Talking about things that'll never get ranked regardless of how hard I try... Trapinch to c- from unranked!

Trapinch @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Rock Slide / Crunch / Toxic
- Flail / Crunch / Toxic

Trapping has always been broken in my opinion, it's broken in almost every tier it's present in to some extent. The ability to pick an opponents mon that threatens your team then trap+kill it is quite a dumb concept. Now while I'm not trying to compare Trapinch to how Dugtrio in OU, Diglett in LC and Shadow Tag impact their metas, I do think Trapinch has a place here as a somewhat decent trapping mon, capable of dealing with a lot of the threats present in our meta, as long as its Focus Sash is intact that is. It also works as a nice anti Trick Room mon if you run min speed, but I prefer max as it helps cripple things like Steelix and Rhydon better.

Some calcs:
252+ Atk Trapinch Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Drapion: 276-326 (98.2 - 116%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Trapinch Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Garbodor: 258-306 (70.8 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Trapinch Earthquake vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 164-194 (46.5 - 55.1%) -- 32.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Trapinch Flail (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Virizion: 261-308 (80.8 - 95.3%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Trapinch Flail (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Sceptile: 281-331 (100 - 117.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
I'm back with another nomination that will get shot down quicker than I can say, eeve... I really don't care if it is or isn't ranked, but I want to share it because I find that it's quite overlooked in the current meta especially when it is a legitimate threat; Jumpluff to c-/c from unranked!

Jumpluff
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Sleep Powder
- Seed Bomb

Jumpluff was a rather fun and niche mon back in the ORAS metagame but never really one that people used a lot, which is a shame. It has a really nice base speed stat of 110 (hitting 350 with maximum investment) which, in a more settled meta, lets it outspeed a lot of the current mons. It also doubles as the fastest non-scarfed user of sleep in the tier which is cool af, and it smacks Virizion hard which is also nice. Yeah, I know that it's hard countered by Steelix, but I really don't see that as a valid enough reason not to use it. It also has competition with Sceptile and Whimsicott, but neither have access to Sleep Powder which gives Jumpluff its specific niche at the moment.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7nubeta-593748211
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7nubeta-593742198
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7nubeta-593030352

Next up is a mon that during the end of ORAS wasn't really that good, and it may seem that it struggles in the current SM meta, but I believe that it's actually a really good mon and deserves a higher rank; Poliwrath to c+/b- from c!

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Scald / Circle Throw
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

The best Sneasel check in the tier at the moment, Poliwrath seems to not get much attention, mainly due to the millions of bulky waters in the tier, yet it cripples or beats many of these water types. I find that the only viable set in this meta is Toxic with Resttalk, because it gives it longevity and makes it a hard counter to Sneasel, whilst also being able to cripple most common switch-ins with Toxic and stall out things that usually give the more offensive sets a lot of trouble. I don't really have many replays of this one but considering it's more of a general showing of a previously decent set rather than showing off something new and wild, I don't think it really needs any.

Talking about things that'll never get ranked regardless of how hard I try... Trapinch to c- from unranked!

Trapinch @ Focus Sash
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Rock Slide / Crunch / Toxic
- Flail / Crunch / Toxic

Trapping has always been broken in my opinion, it's broken in almost every tier it's present in to some extent. The ability to pick an opponents mon that threatens your team then trap+kill it is quite a dumb concept. Now while I'm not trying to compare Trapinch to how Dugtrio in OU, Diglett in LC and Shadow Tag impact their metas, I do think Trapinch has a place here as a somewhat decent trapping mon, capable of dealing with a lot of the threats present in our meta, as long as its Focus Sash is intact that is. It also works as a nice anti Trick Room mon if you run min speed, but I prefer max as it helps cripple things like Steelix and Rhydon better.

Some calcs:
252+ Atk Trapinch Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Drapion: 276-326 (98.2 - 116%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Trapinch Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Garbodor: 258-306 (70.8 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Trapinch Earthquake vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 164-194 (46.5 - 55.1%) -- 32.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Trapinch Flail (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Virizion: 261-308 (80.8 - 95.3%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Trapinch Flail (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Sceptile: 281-331 (100 - 117.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
I think Trapinch should run a different set. I suggest the set that was used in mid ORAS PU. Running Speed EVs on Trapinch is just a waste tbh. The best options for the EVs are full HP and Def in my opinion. Running a special defensive set isn't effective due to the large amount of grass and water types in the tier atm. (Just look at the A-Rank). Earthquake and Toxic are must haves on every Trapinch Set. Rest Talk are there for recovery and longetivity of Trapinch

Trapinch @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

The second set that was discovered before this Rest Talk Set is this here: This set uses Crunch to hit prominent Ghost and Psychic-Types and Quick Attack to get off some damage before Trapinch dies.

Trapinch @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Crunch
- Quick Attack

Really don't know if Trapinch actually works in this tier, with all those Fighting, Grass and Water types around at the moment. If you really want to run Trapinch, this should be the two sets to go

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think Trapinch should run a different set. I suggest the set that was used in mid ORAS PU. Running Speed EVs on Trapinch is just a waste tbh. The best options for the EVs are full HP and Def in my opinion. Running a special defensive set isn't effective due to the large amount of grass and water types in the tier atm. (Just look at the A-Rank). Earthquake and Toxic are must haves on every Trapinch Set. Rest Talk are there for recovery and longetivity of Trapinch

Trapinch @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

The second set that was discovered before this Rest Talk Set is this here: This set uses Crunch to hit prominent Ghost and Psychic-Types and Quick Attack to get off some damage before Trapinch dies.

Trapinch @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Crunch
- Quick Attack

Really don't know if Trapinch actually works in this tier, with all those Fighting, Grass and Water types around at the moment. If you really want to run Trapinch, this should be the two sets to go
What is the point of this set? The point of Yogibears's trapinch nomination was to instantly trap and revenge kill or delete a specific threat on the opponent's team. What does yours with HP and Def do? How does the Fighting, Grass, and Water types in the tier become relevant in this?

Nominating Rotom-C to go from A+ -> S.

This thing is meta-defining imo. Due to its typing it is a decent blanket check to several threats such as Sceptile, Jellicent, the Slow duo, Steelix, and more. Its Specs set packs a ridiculous punch, with the combination of Leaf Storm and Thunderbolt hitting a majority of the tier hard, only resisted by Grass types, and even then Signal Beam is an option. Its speed tier isn't even bad for this role, being able to pivot out of its slower checks. Scarf also is a good set that lets Rotom outspeed some of its would-be offensive checks such as Houndoom and Sneasel while still hitting somewhat hard. In addition to these sets, it gets options such as Trick and Will-O-Wisp which allows it to render mons like Golbat and Uxie useless, and cripple attackers that can hurt it such as physical Toxicroak and Virizion respectively. I believe Rotom-C's typing, splashability, utility opportunities and power warrant a rise to S Rank.

Also, I want to bring up LORD HELIX 65's old idea of an Incineroar rise, which I don't think anyone addressed. I believe Incineroar should rise from B- to B, or even B+.

Incineroar's typing and bulk allows it to check top threats such as Sneasel, Houndoom, and Cofagrigus, making it a nice anti-meta poke. AV Incineroar is a great bulky pivot, having great attacking power while also providing a slow U-Turn for frail teammates like Sneasel and Hitmonlee to come in safely. Fake Out utility allows Incineroar to whittle down opposing mons so sweeper teammates can clean or it can even damage its opponent with its great base 115 attack. A Scarf set isn't even too out of the question either, allowing Incineroar to outspeed and kill mons like Houndoom and Virizion while still maintaining a nice offensive presence. (;[ still falls short of sneasel) As a little bonus, being a good physical attacker being immune to burn is always nice. Overall, Incineroar's great opportunities as a pivot, bulk, good typing, and ability to check dangerous threats are what convince me that Incineroar needs to rise.

Last edited:

A => B+
Honestly golbat is pretty fucking overrated. Its a strong defogger and is really reliable and checking what it needs to check but loses so much offensive momentum for most teams (even while carrying super fang) and in a meta where setup is so fucking strong and bulky offense really doesn't hold up it has a huge opportunity cost to more offensive variants of hazards control (hitmonlee / xatu). Its great bulk and typing does give it a lot of utility but its honestly worn down fairly quickly and is quickly balanced out by how easily it gives the opponent opportunities to set up.
In my opinion, Golbat should lower to A-. Brawlfest posted a lot of really good points of why Golbat should be lowered, all of them which I agree with, but I don't think it should drop all the way to B+, especially when Tyrantrum and Necrozma, two pokemon that really threatened Golbat, are now banned. With that said, Golbat should definitely see a drop in rank because of the issues it faces in the current meta. Probably the biggest problem Golbat faces is how passive it is, and, as Brawlfest said, how it loses a lot of offensive momentum for many teams. Golbat depends on coming in on a pokemon it can wall, using defog, and then switching out, which the opponent can easily react to. There's also the issue that Golbat suffers heavily from four moveslot syndrome, in which it is forced to run defog, roost, and brave bird to be effective, leaving little room for other moves Golbat would want, such as taunt, toxic, and (although probably way more niche) haze, super fang, and u-turn. There's also the issue that many offensive fighting types that Golbat would in theory be able to switch in, such as Hitmonlee and Machamp, carry knock off, which would significantly hinder Golbat for the rest of the match. There's also the fact that Golbat gets worn down from rocks and switch ins a lot. It should also be noted that Golbat doesn't have great matchups against hazard setters, which, in some cases, can force Golbat out. Without taunt, Golbat is unable to prevent things like Garbodor, Steelix, and Weezing from setting up hazards, while Rhyperior can just force Golbat out to get rocks up. So, yeah, Golbat should drop to A-. While it isn't really as good as the other A ranked mons, I don't think Golbat should drop all the way to B+, especially with the Tyrantrum and Necro
Unranked --> B- / B / B+

Already talked about this mon in the np thread but you guys probably forgot to include it. Here's the post:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...st-38-67-for-bans.3606077/page-4#post-7405080
Nomming it for somewhere in the B ranks because i think it's the best OTR mon after Cofagrigus.
Seconding this. Exeggutor just feels really great to use in the current meta, where there aren't really many pokemon with a decent special defense stat that resist dragon. This is only more true when considering Tyrantrum has been banned, encouraging teams to not bring a dragon type counter. Similarly, while the strong poison types in the tier can really harm Exeggutor, they also discourage the usage of fairy types, which is an indirect benefit. Exeggutor is a really strong wallbreaker due to the fact that it has perfect coverage in flamethrower, Draco Meteor, and Leaf Storm and because barely anything in the tier that isn't a fairy can survive a Z-move+another move. Personally, I like synthesis over trick room just so it doesn't get worn out by Rotom-C and the fact that most of the teams I use it on don't have the best synergy with trick room, but that's just me, I guess. Speaking of which, Exeggutor is a very strong check towards Rotom-C, thanks to the quad resists to grass and electric. The only problem is that Rotom can just volt switch, so its up to the user to play around that. Exeggutor can also find chances to come in on the numerous bulky water types in the tier, such as Slowking/Bro, Jellicent, and any of Vaporean's moves besides ice beam. It also thrives on the bulkier, more passive mons in the tier, such as Steelix and Golbat. All in all, I agree with PursuitOfHappiny about Exeggutor being ranked somewhere in B. It really is a fantastic wallbreaker to use, especially considering that many teams lack bulky fairy types such as Aromatisse.

Nominating Rotom-C to go from A+ -> S.

This thing is meta-defining imo. Due to its typing it is a decent blanket check to several threats such as Sceptile, Jellicent, the Slow duo, Steelix, and more. Its Specs set packs a ridiculous punch, with the combination of Leaf Storm and Thunderbolt hitting a majority of the tier hard, only resisted by Grass types, and even then Signal Beam is an option. Its speed tier isn't even bad for this role, being able to pivot out of its slower checks. Scarf also is a good set that lets Rotom outspeed some of its would-be offensive checks such as Houndoom and Sneasel while still hitting somewhat hard. In addition to these sets, it gets options such as Trick and Will-O-Wisp which allows it to render mons like Golbat and Uxie useless, and cripple attackers that can hurt it such as physical Toxicroak and Virizion respectively. I believe Rotom-C's typing, splashability, utility opportunities and power warrant a rise to S Rank.

Also, I want to bring up LORD HELIX 65's old idea of an Incineroar rise, which I don't think anyone addressed. I believe Incineroar should rise from B- to B, or even B+.

Incineroar's typing and bulk allows it to check top threats such as Sneasel, Houndoom, and Cofagrigus, making it a nice anti-meta poke. AV Incineroar is a great bulky pivot, having great attacking power while also providing a slow U-Turn for frail teammates like Sneasel and Hitmonlee to come in safely. Fake Out utility allows Incineroar to whittle down opposing mons so sweeper teammates can clean or it can even damage its opponent with its great base 115 attack. A Scarf set isn't even too out of the question either, allowing Incineroar to outspeed and kill mons like Houndoom and Virizion while still maintaining a nice offensive presence. (;[ still falls short of sneasel) As a little bonus, being a good physical attacker being immune to burn is always nice. Overall, Incineroar's great opportunities as a pivot, bulk, good typing, and ability to check dangerous threats are what convince me that Incineroar needs to rise.
I'm gonna respond to this as good as I can.

A+ -> S Disagree:
While Rotom-Mow has amazing typing synergy, good movepool, amazing ability, good stats and much more it's not deserving S rank. Trick to cripple defensive teams is also good altho with the introduction of Z-Crystals it makes that job 10 times harder, things like Virizion with a Z-move (what is normally runs), not able to switch in to most of the A+ and A mons and being weak to Sneasel priority does not help it as well. Although Rotom-Mow ability makes it immune to Spikes everytime it switches in it has to take SR damage what brings it faster to getting ohko'ed by the priority in this tier like as mentioned before by Sneasel and some more. Rotom-Mow is 9 out of 10 times also choice locked which makes is it from time to time a 50/50 by either going for Leaf Storm or Volt Switch and if you Trick you lose the speed it really needs since otherwise you get outspeed by 70% of the offensive mons in the tier (Drapion, ScarfBoar, Virizion, Houndoom, Meloetta, Sneasel, Hitmonlee, Vivillon, Toxicroak and Tauros). Overall I still think Rotom-Mow deserves A+ but not S.

B- -> B or B+ Disagree:
The issue with Incineroar is that the things you want to check such as Sneasel, Houndoom and Cofagrigus you have to take 9 out of the 10 times 25% from Stealth Rocks what makes your check getting whittled really easily and with no way of reliable recovery at all. If you pair Inceroar up with a Wish passer like Aromatisse you still probably take rocks 2 times which might mean you get ohko'ed and don't even get the Wish pass of. Then the thing about checking sneasel, it might check Sneasel but for what cost? Getting Knocked Off your Assault Vest what means you don't check things like Houndoom and Cofagrigus anymore, this makes Inceroar a really iffy check to most of the mons it has to check and that is why I think it should stay in B-

Trapinch @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Trapinch @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Crunch
- Quick Attack

I really don't think your point about Fighting, Grass and Water type is relevant when you have Arena Trap which allow YOU to pick up targets you want to eliminate. Unless you are forced to sacrifice Trapinch (to fodder it) or simply play bad Trapinch should never face any of those in the first place, because Arena Trap as mentioned allow you to pick up targets and there is no true counterplay in first place, especially if you trap something once one of Pokemon on your team faint and you get in for free. Ok, I guess U-Turn can handle this somewhat but as a Trapinch user you should know which Pokemon carry this move in first place. And I don't think Trapinch will ever be popular enough to force some walls / tanks to run Shed Shell to counter Trapinchs' trapping effect.

Also I also don't get the point of defensive EVs. You want to eliminate targets, not tank hits from them. Max bulk Trapinch should run is simple max HP and you need those attack EVs to actually hit targets hard enough. If you are worried about Trapinch tanking any sort of hit, run him with Parting Shot users like Alola Persian or Silvally to also lower opponents offensive stats.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
I really don't think your point about Fighting, Grass and Water type is relevant when you have Arena Trap which allow YOU to pick up targets you want to eliminate. Unless you are forced to sacrifice Trapinch (to fodder it) or simply play bad Trapinch should never face any of those in the first place, because Arena Trap as mentioned allow you to pick up targets and there is no true counterplay in first place, especially if you trap something once one of Pokemon on your team faint and you get in for free. Ok, I guess U-Turn can handle this somewhat but as a Trapinch user you should know which Pokemon carry this move in first place. And I don't think Trapinch will ever be popular enough to force some walls / tanks to run Shed Shell to counter Trapinchs' trapping effect.

Also I also don't get the point of defensive EVs. You want to eliminate targets, not tank hits from them. Max bulk Trapinch should run is simple max HP and you need those attack EVs to actually hit targets hard enough. If you are worried about Trapinch tanking any sort of hit, run him with Parting Shot users like Alola Persian or Silvally to also lower opponents offensive stats.

Just my two cents.
Trapinch is too weak for NU anyway. In PU, the special defensive sets allow it to miss out some 2HKOs from the offensive mons, but I understand that the offensive pokemon are to strong to make a defensive set good. But even offensive sets suck tbh. Just made some calcs against Fire Types, Steelix, and Poison Types in the S to B- ranks.

252 SpA Life Orb Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Trapinch: 259-305 (88 - 103.7%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Magmortar Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Trapinch: 312-368 (106.4 - 125.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Emboar Superpower vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Trapinch: 387-456 (132 - 155.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

- You also lose to Steelix:

0 Atk Steelix Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Trapinch: 141-166 (48.1 - 56.6%) -- 87.5% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Trapinch Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Steelix: 156-186 (44 - 52.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

- You might lose against Drapion if you run Life Orb instead of Lum Berry

252 Atk Life Orb Drapion Aqua Tail vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Trapinch: 250-294 (85.3 - 100.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

- and Seed Bomb Garbodor

0 Atk Garbodor Seed Bomb vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Trapinch: 138-164 (47 - 55.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

The only things you want to trap and you can beat 100% of the time is Skuntank

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
Trapinch is too weak for NU anyway. In PU, the special defensive sets allow it to miss out some 2HKOs from the offensive mons, but I understand that the offensive pokemon are to strong to make a defensive set good. But even offensive sets suck tbh. Just made some calcs against Fire Types, Steelix, and Poison Types in the S to B- ranks.

252 SpA Life Orb Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Trapinch: 259-305 (88 - 103.7%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Magmortar Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Trapinch: 312-368 (106.4 - 125.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Emboar Superpower vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Trapinch: 387-456 (132 - 155.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

- You also lose to Steelix:

0 Atk Steelix Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Trapinch: 141-166 (48.1 - 56.6%) -- 87.5% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Trapinch Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Steelix: 156-186 (44 - 52.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

- You might lose against Drapion if you run Life Orb instead of Lum Berry

252 Atk Life Orb Drapion Aqua Tail vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Trapinch: 250-294 (85.3 - 100.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

- and Seed Bomb Garbodor

0 Atk Garbodor Seed Bomb vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Trapinch: 138-164 (47 - 55.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

The only things you want to trap and you can beat 100% of the time is Skuntank
Did you miss the part where Trapinch was holding a Focus Sash? With a base 100 Attack and STAB Earthquake, I'm sure it can OHKO many of the above Offensive Pokemon. With a Sash guaranteeing twice hits, Trapinch will also kill the defensive opponents. 200BP Flail is a bonus against even slower opponents.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've been away from the forums for a few days and it looks like there's been lots of interesting discussion I've missed out on. I'll make another proper post later but could I just ask that we focus more on the higher ranks for now in the following discussion? We're very much aware that there are lots of Pokemon missed out from the bottom of the rankings, but the more important task for now is to really pin down the viability of the tier's main threats in relation to each other. We all know what Trapinch does, so in particular I'm putting a blacklist on Trapinch discussion at the moment. We are considering it for ranking and will let you know the reasoning behind our final decision when we make it.

With that said, I'm really impressed both the amount of responses and threads of discussion being created (as opposed to just nomming stuff independently), as well as the number of new users getting involved. I really appreciate that new people feel confident to discuss Pokemon they've used in depth, and that our tier has created a good environment for new people to get involved in. Keep up the good work!

Also I wanted to weigh in on Silvally-Normal since I used it quite a lot in Alpha (and not much has changed for it). Here is the set I used: I think trying to get Silvally-Normal to sweep is going in the wrong direction and giving it too much to do. Z-Explosion + SD is a wallbreaking niche and should be treated as such with teambuilding consideration etc.

Silvally @ Normalium Z
Ability: RKS System
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Explosion
- Crunch
- Double-Edge / Facade

The main thing going for it is STAB Explosion being powerful enough to break through Normal-resists, and +2 Z-Explosion + Explosion being able to brute force its way through Steelix (yes this is how absurdly powerful Normally is). Here are some calcs:

+2 252+ Atk Silvally Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 156-184 (44.3 - 52.2%)
+2 252+ Atk Silvally Explosion vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Steelix: 195-230 (55.3 - 65.3%)

+2 252+ Atk Silvally Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 165-194 (39.8 - 46.8%)
+2 252+ Atk Silvally Explosion vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 205-242 (49.5 - 58.4%)

+2 252+ Atk Silvally Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Minior: 287-338 (109.9 - 129.5%)

This has more than a 50% chance of OHKOing Lix through Lefties (and even if it doesn't, a 10% Lix is death fodder) and Rhydon gets chipped down to 10% in the worst case scenario. Since anything else that switches in is just going to die, you practically lure and trap Steelix with this set. Ghost-types are the main counter to this set (although anything slower has to take a +2 Crunch), but you can build around that to an extent, and they can't hit Normally with their STAB attacks, so you can fair decently against them. I ran secondary STAB in the fourth slot just so you don't have to Boom, since if this set becomes common it could be telegraphed quite easily. You could make an argument for using Substitute over secondary STAB to block Wisps and status, but Mismagius will still Wisp you regardless so it seems moot. More calcs:

+2 252+ Atk Silvally Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 170-202 (53.1 - 63.1%)
+2 252+ Atk Silvally Crunch vs. 0 HP / 8 Def Colbur Berry Mismagius: 230-271 (88.1 - 103.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+4 252+ Atk burned Silvally Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Seismitoad: 373-440 (90 - 106.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

So if Cofag tries to switch in after SD to punish Explosion, you just 2HKO it. If it tries to Wisp, you can just boost up to +6 since it can't actually hit you and burned +4 Explosion will still destroy most mons. Facade is also nice in this respect.

I don't think this set is consistently worth using over other Normal-types (since you rely on SD a lot and Roar is somewhat common on the mons you're trying to lure), but if you don't have another Z-move user it's a decent wallbreaker that can easily overwhelm teams that run squishy Normal-resists.

Last edited:

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader
A -> A+
Whimsicott is really good right now in an offensive meta where Fairy-type resists are commonly limited to Steelix (easily whittled, takes a chunk from Giga Drain), Garbodor (gets whittled easily, drops to Psychic), Delphox (weak to rocks, lacks recovery), and Golbat (also gets pressured by Psychic). It has a whole bunch of effective sets, the best and most common being Pixie Plate + 2 Utility moves. There are so many options that Whimsi can fit in its last two slots, that you can basically tailor it to whatever you want, for example Memento to aid a sweeper like Barbaracle, Stun Spore to provide slow wallbreakers with speed control, U-Turn to pivot + gain momentum, and of course Encore to stop setup mons in their tracks. Even more niche picks like Knock Off, Tailwind, Taunt, and Switcheroo can catch opponents off guard in the right situation, which makes Whimsi impressively unpredictable. Apart from the classic Pixie Plate, Z-Growth is another dangerous set which can easily clean up teams late game, and turn Whimsi into a threatening sweeper which can steamroll checks like Golbat, Garbodor, Steelix, and Vileplume at +2. Whimsi is also one of the better Sun setters in the tier, and while I haven't used the Specs set much myself, from what I've seen it's another solid set which can really mess with common checks (mainly Poison-types) floating around atm. Overall, Whimsicott is a very strong pick in the current metagame, and definitely warrants a rise to A+.

A -> A+
Emboar is another really good pick in the meta rn, with Grass-types being amazing, Sneasel being everywhere (and very tough to find switch-ins for), and Fire-type checks being easy to get past (e.g Wild Charge 2HKOs Jellicent, Grass Knot nails Seismitoad etc). In general, this thing just hits really hard and is a monster for most teams to switch into. Scarf is a great revenge killer, and gives offense some great defensive attributes, namely versus Sneasel, Vanilluxe, Houndoom, and Sceptile. CB is stupidly hard to check without predicting right, EBelt lets you lure and destroy checks like Seismitoad and Slowking, and even Defensive Emboar can shine a little on specific teams. All in all, Emboar has ways to beat literally every mon A- to S, it can fit on almost any playstyle, and in particular its Scarf set is really splashable for balance and offense, therefore it should rise to A+.

I wont go into too much detail on some of the other noms since everything has been more or less said already, but agreeing with Drapion rising to A and Vaporeon to B+. Drapion has a number of good sets rn, like Scarf, Shuca SD, and Groundinium-SD which all pull their weight against every playstyle. Vaporeon is one of the few good Wish passers in the tier, and it actually checks a large majority of our Water- and Fire-types without needing too much help. Disagree with Rotom-C to S, It's a great mon, Scarf is annoying for offense, Specs has very few viable switch ins, but its not impossible to deal with defensively (Cryogonal, Vileplume, Virizion, most Grass-types actually, Scarf Drapion, etc) and it can be pressured pretty easily with how common priority is atm.

It's nice to see everyone is eager to get involved in NU, keep it up guys!

Keep Vaporeon where it is I don't think that Vaporeon deserves to go up to B+. There are a lot of better Water Types which simply outclass Vaporeon. Jellicent can act as a spinblocker, access to WoW, Taunt and a better recovery (imo). Both the Slows have a great ability in Regenerator, Flamethrower, good chances to setup with Calm Mind.

Vaporeon is a very passive Mon and has no access to direct recovery, so it always has to give up two moveslots for Wish and Protect, if it wants to heal itself safely. Another thing I might to consider is that Vaporeon loses to almost everything in the ranks above. It loses to:

- all A+ Mons if you run Bloom Doom Houndoom or get a Nastly Plot on Protect turn
- Cofagrigus, Wild Charge Emboar, is helpless against Jelli without Toxic, the Slowtwins, Whimsicott
- Sigilyph, Toxicroak, Vivillon
- Lilligant, Vileplume, Seismitoad without Toxic

Jellicent, Slowbro and Slowking have a better movepool, better typing
The Water Absorb niche is filled in by Jellicent
Wish Pass alone doesn't justify a rise

Yasuo , None of those water types you mentioned directly outclass Vaporeon when it's the only water type that offers cleric support and has the ability to pass huge wishes to it's teammates, that's a good niche if you ask me.

Wish Protect is known to be passive but again you have the option to pass for teammates and Protect can help with leftovers recovery, stall out pp / weather turns , status damage effects and ease up turns on Choice locked Pokemon.

Vaporeon itself isn't just limited to just one set either because surprisingly Z Celebrate and Choice Specs pack a good amount of viability and can catch people off guard. 110 Sp.A means it's stronger than all 3 and with Hydro Pump, ice beam and hp grass it means it can beat Pokemon you say it can't in the higher part of the viability rankings.

I feel like it's movepool is "adequate" and you can't say Jellicent, Slowking & Slowbro have better typing when being a pure water type only leaves you with two weaknesses, whilst they stack additionally dark ghost and bug weaknesses in return for their additional resistances / immunities

Personally, I agree with Vaporeon rising to B+

Cofagrigus A -> S

Was going to wait until after tier shifts to nom this but oh well. Cofag is definitely a top 3 Pokemon rn and as such, fits the definition of S rank very well w its OTR Ghostium set. I don't think I need to go into too much detail about what it does, but yeah it performs well versus almost any archetype and only has a select few counters like Meloetta and Braviary, whom aren't particularly difficult to dispose of / weaken w teammates and hazards. Cofag's great bulk gives it tons of setup opportunities while also letting it act as a check to other prominent pkmn like machamp, toxicroak, and tauros so I would certainly say any shortcoming's it has (slow outside of tr, not as strong as mismagius, knock off weakness) are easily eclipsed by Cofagrigus's numerous positive traits.

While others have nominated Cofag for A+ earlier in the thread, I think as we have progressed through beta it has only further cemented itself as one of the most dominant pokemon in the tier and its ranking should reflect its massive impact on the metagame.

I'm sorry if I am the party-pooper with the Cofagrigus hype, but I feel you like all are overselling this mon. While this mon has outstanding bulk, you have to realize that it has a low base speed stat, meaning that one can often use taunt (via a fast mon such as Persian-Alola) to prevent it from setting up trick room or apply strong offensive pressure. EX: (252 SpA Choice Specs Rotom-Mow Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Cofagrigus: 262-309 (81.8 - 96.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock) Plus, this mon is also weak to sneasel, an S-ranked mon. While I understand that Cofagrigus can overwhelm stall teams, using said play styles is difficult due to the sheer number of offensive threats in this tier. Plus, Sub-Bulk-Up Braviary and Meloetta are excellent counters to this mon, and Houndoom can OHKO Cofagrigus with Life-Orb Dark Pulse after rocks. I will admit that I am new to the tier, but I haven't really seen this mon be used too successfully.
Edit: I forgot that Mummy suppresses Guts! Sorry~

Last edited:

Natan

is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Also, Guts -Boosted Knock Off from Machamp is a 2HKO on Cofagrigus.
I'd just like to say that Mummy eu surpress Guts so...I think Cofagrigus just have to find a place to set up TR and NP and start threatening everything and is nice against almost any archetype, but I think S Ranking is way to high for now, I'd rank it A+, decent average bulk but it's not that hard to weaken weakened by a lot of Mons and with TR you eu only have 4 turns to aboose it, 3 if you clicked NP after TR (and it lacks 0ower before boosting), that's why I think very cool mon agree with Cofa A+ (but not S)

I think it's pretty important to keep in mind, Cofagrigus chooses who it Trick Rooms up on. It's not going to come in on an Alolan Persian to try and set up a TR. Or a Meloetta, or a Braviary. It's going to come in on a favorable match up to do so. It's a 'mon that you preserve until the end of the game. It's a cleaner of sorts, whilst also being a breaker. You set up TR, get off an NP, and finish the game off. If you're bringing it in turn one and trying to set up while they have a Meloetta, clearly you won't be getting anywhere. Make a team that removes those "problem 'mons" for Cofagrigus, and you're golden.

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
First update
Code:
Cofagrigus A --> S
Hitmonlee A --> A+
Lilligant B+ --> A-
Drapion A- --> A
Whimsicott A- --> A+
Emboar A --> A+
Delphox B --> B+
Vaporeon B --> B+
Mismagius B --> B+
Cryogonal B- --> B
Kangaskhan B- --> B
Samurott B- --> B+
Exeggutor-Alola Unranked --> C+
Vanilluxe C+ --> B-
Guzzlord C --> C+
Omastar C --> C+
Incineroar B- --> B
Audino Unranked --> C-
Poliwrath C --> C+

Houndoom A+ --> A
Tauros A- --> B+
Granbull B+ --> B
Magmortar B+ --> B-
Minior B+ --> B
Jynx B- --> C+
All noms since the thread was made were voted on by the NU Council (plus erisia) and these are the results that a majority agreed on.

Try and keep discussion centered around the upper ranks for now until drops come out in a few days. Focussing on Pokemon that have little impact on the meta detracts from creating a list that is actually representative of the meta, which is what our priority should be right now.

Thanks for all of the great discussion so far guys!

Last edited:

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
Was Meloetta neglected? :(

I still want to push for her to be upgraded to S rank from A+ rank

My proposed set can counter or check, in some cases, every single threat on the S-tier list and the A+ tier list in a 1v1.

Was Meloetta neglected? :(

I still want to push for her to be upgraded to S rank from A+ rank

My proposed set can counter or check, in some cases, every single threat on the S-tier list and the A+ tier list in a 1v1.
If Meloetta is to rise, I don't think it should be on the basis of your proposed AV Pirouette set. Most of my arguments against AV Champ also apply to AV Pirouette, but to focus on Pirouette in general: why would I use this as my fighting type when there's Machamp and Hitmonlee in the tier? Pirouette may be a speed demon and have a ton of power to boot, but it needs a turn to use an attack in order to transform, which may seem like a small detail but can be a significant disadvantage. Since Meloetta has to transform to become a fighting type, it has none of the offensive presence of a fighting type out the gate, like being able to come in on a Steelix's predicted rocks and force it out. Smart players will simply bluff Aria until then, but if Melo's your primary way of pressuring Lix/dark types, you're gonna have some trouble (and if it isn't and you have Lee/Champ/etc on your team, why not just use Aria Meloetta and use that fighting type as your primary fighter?). Not only that, but even in Pirouette it faces competition from other fighting types, being weaker than Champ and having none of the utility of Lee. It's a strong set when it gets going, but needing a turn to become threatening while lacking the immediate offensive presence of other fighters makes it somewhat-niche in my eyes, and definitely not its flagship set when it has so many others, like specs, scarf, and the several CM variations.

I don't think Meloetta should rise, either. It's strong and versatile, sure, but there exists counterplay to nearly all of its sets. The worst offenders I could see are Specs and Z-sets, which, at worst, get a kill before being pursuit trapped by your Sneasel/Drapion/Spiritomb. Scarf can be blocked by special walls like Slowking, and Sub-CM variants are strapped for moveslots, always leaving them walled by a specific threat (if you run DG for Spiritomb, you're walled by Slowking; if you change it to Sball, you now get walled by Dark Types). Compare this to Sneasel and Cofag, who have much more limited counterplay (Sneasel by virtue of its insane dual-stab coverage and high speed and coverage limiting the ability to revenge-kill, and Cofag by virtue of its insane bulk, allowing it to set up easily late-game and sweep). Meloetta just doesn't have the same constricting effects on the tier, in my opinion.

Quagsire C- to B

Hey I'm just out here wondering why my boy quasire is being neglected rn. Phys def unaware stops any physical sweeper that doesn't have grass coverage (which to be fair are a decent amount of the top tier threats) but still significant none the less. It works as a decent check to Sneasel

252 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 133-157 (33.7 - 39.8%) -- 29.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

as well as scare of physical attackers with scald burn. It has access to recover, therefore allowing to continually soak up hits, as toxic wears down all walls not named Golbat and steelix (the latter is which is scared by scald).

Quagsire also has access to water absorb, so if you want to use it that way to deal with water types you can.

Overall, I think quagsire is being pretty overlooked rn. Unaware is a great ability for any wall, and scald/recover allow it to take more hits than before. All this being said, I think quagsire should move from to C- to B.

Quagsire C- to B

Hey I'm just out here wondering why my boy quasire is being neglected rn. Phys def unaware stops any physical sweeper that doesn't have grass coverage (which to be fair are a decent amount of the top tier threats) but still significant none the less. It works as a decent check to Sneasel

252 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 133-157 (33.7 - 39.8%) -- 29.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

as well as scare of physical attackers with scald burn. It has access to recover, therefore allowing to continually soak up hits, as toxic wears down all walls not named Golbat and steelix (the latter is which is scared by scald).

Quagsire also has access to water absorb, so if you want to use it that way to deal with water types you can.

Overall, I think quagsire is being pretty overlooked rn. Unaware is a great ability for any wall, and scald/recover allow it to take more hits than before. All this being said, I think quagsire should move from to C- to B.
That's a huge jump. Quagsire shouldn't use water absorb because its main niche is walling physical attackers with unaware. Also, Quagsire fits mainly on the stall archetype since it is relatively passive.

Moot point, though. It says B to S rank discussion only, not below B-.

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
B+ -> A-

There are a number of reasons why I think Braviary should join the A ranks. Let's talk about its sets first. Braviary can run a Sub Bulk Up set which shits on every fat balance team cause throwing scalds at it won't help. It's able to 1v1 a lot of mons with this set and in some cases even rockers like Steelix and Rhydon. Then there's the Scarf set that shits on more offensive builds and the good thing about the scarf set is that it doesn't lose that much firepower and does well with all the fast Grasses running around. With Defiant it punishes Defoggers like the everpresent Golbat and Intimidaters like Hitmontop and Qwilfish. This not only helps you beating hazardremovers but also one of the more viable hazardsetters. Muricabird can run a bulky Defog set or a Choice Band set and both work! 100/75/75 is respectable bulk and Band hits superhard. Another positive is that Braviary has the ability to deal with both S-rank mons and a bunch of A-rank mons. For me the biggest downside is the stealth rock weakness but that can be patched up with hazard removers and the fact it has reliable recovery. To sum it al up Braviary can be a big threat for slower, fatter and more offensive teams. It's consistent at what it does and can be a reliable wincon/cleaner. I think that Braviary has as much positives as the other A- mons for it to rise to A-.

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
B+ -> A-

I'd like to try a less controversial nomination, one that more people can agree upon: Accelgor from B+ to the ranks of A.

Evidently, the most striking factor of Accelgor is its Speed: It may be a surprising fact that Timid Accelgor can actually outspeed many Choice Scarf users: all Positive Speed Scarfed Base 80s (Medicham and Braviary) and Neutral Base 90s (Meloetta, Lilligant) are literally outspeed by Accelgor who does not need its own Scarf or boosts. Its unique Speed tier allows it to function as a revenge killer who has the privilege of not being locked to a move, AND also to hold a different item, such as Choice Specs or Life Orb, to further increase its damage output.

Accelgor's Base 100 Special Attack is also very high, with an expansive movepool including offensive options U-turn, Focus Blast, Energy Ball, Sludge Bomb, as well as Utility moves such as Spikes, Encore, Knock Off, and even Yawn. Acid Spray may also see some viability on Accelgor, allowing it to melt passive walls. These allow Accelgor to be a threatening revenge killer, especially with Choice Specs or Life Orb, cleaning teams with ease.

Furthermore, the Bug-type as an offensive typing happens to be unusually useful in the current SM NU metagame, with many Grass-, Psychic-, and Dark-types being commonly found on teams. Sneasel comes to mind, as well as several A+ rank Pokemon (Sceptile, Rotom-C, Meloetta) and the Slow walls. Despite the numerous typings that resist Bug, relatively few Pokemon in the NU tier actually do so (with the exception of Ghost-types), which gives Accelgor the privilege to spam Bug Buzz, by the virtue of having neutral coverage on many Pokemon in the metagame. It also happens to be the case that even fewer of these have reliable recovery, allowing Accelgor to beat them down to facilitate a sweep later in the game.

Although its defenses are weak, Accelgor should not be expected to take hits anyway, as it often faster than many opponents. It is only a pity that its typing is not as potent as Sneasel's, as I believe that Accelgor fulfils every role better sans that. However, Accelgor is privileged to be resistant to the common Mach Punch, while not being weak to any priority, with the exception of the rare Accelerock.

With its strong offensive potential, and the Speed that allows it to outspeed even common Choice Scarfers, as well as the viability of multiple utility moves (fast offensive Spikes stacker), I believe that Accelgor should join the ranks of A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)