Resource SM OU Viability Ranking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think that Volcarona deserves A- rank
This thing literaly desroys most offensive teams whith just one turn of set up, because they rely on scarf pheromosa or in priority to revenge kill the set up sweepers, and this is why volca works so well whith lele
Sure it needs team support to work, but it isnt that difficult to fit a defogger in a team

Also move mega gross to S

Could someone care to explain to me why Pelliper and Kingdra have been knocked down a rank? Is it because weather teams aren't proving as effective as initially thought due to the turn limit still putting a damper on what you can do with it? Or are teams better adapting the mons often used alongside Pelliper?

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Could someone care to explain to me why Pelliper and Kingdra have been knocked down a rank? Is it because weather teams aren't proving as effective as initially thought due to the turn limit still putting a damper on what you can do with it? Or are teams better adapting the mons often used alongside Pelliper?
Pretty much. Rain simply isn't a very consistent playstyle; it still suffers heavily from matchup issues, and even gaining Pelipper and Tapu Koko hasn't really helped this much in the great scheme of things.

Rain also gained Ash-Greninja, which is stupidly powerful.

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Hydro Pump in the rain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 128-151 (42.1 - 49.6%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Hydro Pump in the rain vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Tapu Fini: 150-177 (43.6 - 51.4%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Hydro Pump in the rain vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Magearna: 219-258 (60.1 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Hydro Pump in the rain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 165-194 (40.8 - 48%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Hydro Pump in the rain vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 234-276 (36.4 - 42.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Because i actually started to saw some scarf Koko (which i think is retarded, but probably some stupid meme)

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Water Shuriken (20 BP) (3 hits) in the rain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko: 318-378 (113.1 - 134.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

All of them are not going to like taking hits after hits, that's for sure, and some of those sets (Toxapex, Magearna and Fini) are not optimized against other threats.

I nominate Heracross to C+!

The guts set got buffed this gen since it now only loses 1/16 instead of 1/8 per turn, making it a viable alternative to his mega counterpart (which cant be used atm). I think it is comparable to nidoking and should be in the same rank as this mon. It has sligth 4mss, but i think CC, Facade, Knock off, Sd offers the best coverage.

Calcs
+2 252+ Atk Guts Heracross Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 436-514 (103 - 121.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Guts Heracross Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 357-420 (107.2 - 126.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Guts Heracross Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 260-307 (85.8 - 101.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Guts Heracross Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos: 391-460 (102 - 120.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Guts Heracross Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Quagsire: 252-297 (64.1 - 75.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Guts Heracross Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Clefable: 214-252 (54.4 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-514053021

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
Bug fighting is an amazing type and it's only a small buff he got and he is likly better than his mega. I'm pretty sure he needs to run jolly and some of those 1 hit kills are barely there or jolly might ruin clefable for You.

Just buzzwole is faster and bulkier and can recover some with leech life which herbaceous sadly didn't get else that'd be amazing.

But I could see him completely body ing stall other than maybe bulky Lando or garchomp, mega sableye.

Just feel he's more match-up based than buzzwole, he might be C+

Just some thoughts on shednija, this is one of the best metagames I've ever gotten to use him in, just all the choice item locks, the electric/u turn spam, people not abusing knock off as hard, heatran still being super solid vs fire mons/hp fire coverage

Like even specs ash Greninja that can tear my team apart is afraid to use hrydo pump while I still have shednija. The team type really doesn't struggle vs rocks to much cause there aren't more viable rock setters that can do it vs hp ice Zapdos or mega sableye

It's also a HARD counter to rain which is also viable?

Mega her across was the one slower than buzzwole, my bad

Last edited:

Ema Skye

Work!
I don't see what niche Heracross fills that Buzzwole doesn't.

Like I guess it doesn't care about status but Buzzwole has sub to also not care about status.

Also I don't think Shedinja hard counters rain because Pelipper has Hurricane and they often pack Tornadus-T.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
D rank has now been removed because it has caused nothing but unhealthy discussion and it was full of mons that were too niche to consider for any OU team anyway. That is all.

Last edited:
Heracross has nuclear power with its SD Status Orb set, which Buzzwole can't really encroach upon. It has 14 more base Attack but its vulnerability to status and worse speed keep it from punching holes quite like Heracross can. I'm not really hip to what stall uses in SM OU, but last gen in UU the way they "dealt" with that set is lots of switching into predicted resists, Protect spam, and revenging with Aerodactyl (which was surprisingly effective on defensive teams). That was when burn clipped off an eighth of your health every turn.

Needless to say SM OU isn't as kind to Heracross as ORAS UU was, but Buzzwole doesn't really outclass Heracross in terms of pure breaking power, so if you need a Bug/Fighting nuke then Heracross is an option.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well looks like I killed the thread lol. Anyways...

RANKING UPDATE

A+ ---> S
A- ---> A
A ---> A-
B ---> B-
Unranked ---> C-
Unranked ---> C
Unranked ---> C+

I know it seems like we just had an update but fuck it, the meta is young and ever changing. Mega Metagross going up to S should honestly be self-explanatory, and it seems like many of you would agree judging by the recent posts. Metagross has benefited from the mega Speed buff more than anything in OU this generation, and because of its it's able to instantly threaten teams with its high powered STABs without having to worry about taking any prior damage from something like Latios, Exca, Heatran, etc. Its typing offensively and defensively is incredible in the current metagame, as it is able to take on a ton of Pokemon found on all archetypes, one of the best checks to Scarf Tapu Lele in the tier as well as Bulu, and a vast amount of coverage move to choose from that heavily limits its reliable switch-ins, as well as Bullet Punch for stuff like Pheromosa and Koko. Outside of Mega Scizor, there really isn't anything in the tier that reliably switches into Mega Metagross without knowing its full moveset, and because of its incredible bulk for an offensive Pokemon, even offensive teams struggle to revenge kill it without losing a mon in return. Most of its flaws are patched up by teammates too. Tapu Lele also forms a nasty core with Metagross, letting it spam Zen Headbutt and OHKO Pokemon hit neutrally by it. Bulu's Grassy Terrain gives it a neutrality to EQ, which lets it 1v1 Pokemon such Lando-T and Chomp, while Zone can trap the Steel-types that give Metagross issues so it can free up a moveslot for something else. Metagross may not be as splashable Lando-T, but offensively it's just as dangerous as Tapu Lele because of how difficult they are to deal with and how they can so easily overwhelm defensive cores as well as offense too. It's easily the best Mega in the tier and it truly defines the SM metagame as an offensive behemoth.

Magnezone was risen because it pairs well some of the best Pokemon in OU at the moment, such as Mega Metagross, Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu, and Mega Zam, as well as some of the most terrifying sweepers in OU, mainly Mega Pinsir and Salamence. Offensively it can stand up to many of the Pokemon found in OU as well, as nothing wants to switch into Specs Volt switches or Flash Cannons, and it's also able to run sets such as Assault Vest or Chople Berry to check a wider range of offensive threats. It's just an outstanding team player that's become standard on many offensive teams for its offensive supporting potential.

Excadrill may come as a surprise to some people but despite a heavy Fairy meta with Tapu Koko running around, it faces plenty of obstacles. First off, its best teammate T-tar, albeit a very solid mon, is not as dominating as it was last generation, so it finds itself on less teams as sweeper. While it can check Tapu Koko and some variants of Lele, there are many other Pokemon that pressure the fuck out of it. Ash Greninja revenge kills every set with Water Shuriken, Pheromosa outspeeds most sets, Bulu's presence keeps it from being able to click EQ and heavily dent anything that switches into it, Tapu Fini gives it a lot of competition as a hazard remover while also checking Driller itself, Buzzwole basically comes in for free on it, both Zygarde forms give it a lot of trouble, Landorus-T is very dominating once again, Celesteela completely walls it, etc etc the list goes on. Excadrill has definitely gotten the shaft this gen more than last, and while it can still perform decently well as an offensive rocker or Sand Rush sweeper, it's not nearly as fearsome as it was back in ORAS, so it doesn't make sense to keep it in the same rank as SM staples such as Bulu, Ferrothorn, and Chomp.

Starmie dropped because it's pretty bad with no real solid niche in the meta. Offensively it faces massive competition from Gren, and defensively it's completely outclassed by Fini. The only purpose it serves is as a budget Gren that can remove hazards, but it's a pretty rare situation where you would use it on a team.

All the other mons added to the list were either brought up earlier or were discussed by the VR team as Pokemon with decent enough niches to be added. Scarf Magneton is also a bit more useful than it was in ORAS because its Speed tier it actually pretty crucial versus stuff like Greninja, while maintaining the ability to trap Steels.

Last edited:
keldeo.png
B+>B:
I honestly feel that a pokemon that gets hard countered by tapu fini has no place in the sm ou meta. While admittedly it can often tear through teams lacking a tapu fini, that boy had 20% usage in the past month. Meaning 1 in every 5 games, keldeo will sit in the back and do absolutely nothing. I just now looked up the calc for specs keldeo hp elec on max max phys def fini and it has a 47% chance to 2hko which I suppose is decent, but I won't delete my previous statement as I feel that it still stands somewhat. First of all, you actually have to get the play right on the switch, second of all, after you get that 50ish% on fini, they'll see that it's specs and switch into something that capitalizes on an hp electric-locked keldeo, and so when you eventually bring keldeo back in, you have to make the play all over again except this time they're expecting it, and it's just really messy and not reliable at all. Another thing is, a reason specs keld was so splashable in oras ou was because it could just mindlessly spam scald, do a ton, get the burn, and luck your way to victory. We all know by now that scald is not near as mindless as it once was, and so some of the allure of using specs keld is lost. I'm going to pretend the sub cm set doesn't exist because fini makes it a waste of a team slot in this meta, scarf runs into similar problems as specs except it's worse for scarf as it lacks the firepower on the hp elec. And I haven't even covered the presence of stuff like toxapex, av magearna, and the ever-improving mega venu. Gen 7 just hasn't been very friendly towards keldeo, and I feel that it's viability ranking should reflect that.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
The meta like always is starving for good special ghost offense, but unless trick room is a real thing I'm not completely sure what coffin is for. Wisp hex is a little more meh and toxic spikes is likly done better and there isn't a large demand for spin blocking so I'm fairly confused about it as a whole.

The meta like always is starving for good special ghost offense, but unless trick room is a real thing I'm not completely sure what coffin is for. Wisp hex is a little more meh and toxic spikes is likly done better and there isn't a large demand for spin blocking so I'm fairly confused about it as a whole.
The reason why Cofagrigus is ranked is for its niche in Trick Room teams. That's its only role though, so it's not very high on the list. But, it does have a role.

View attachment 76564 B+>B:
I honestly feel that a pokemon that gets hard countered by tapu fini has no place in the sm ou meta. While admittedly it can often tear through teams lacking a tapu fini, that boy had 20% usage in the past month. Meaning 1 in every 5 games, keldeo will sit in the back and do absolutely nothing. I just now looked up the calc for specs keldeo hp elec on max max phys def fini and it has a 47% chance to 2hko which I suppose is decent, but I won't delete my previous statement as I feel that it still stands somewhat. First of all, you actually have to get the play right on the switch, second of all, after you get that 50ish% on fini, they'll see that it's specs and switch into something that capitalizes on an hp electric-locked keldeo, and so when you eventually bring keldeo back in, you have to make the play all over again except this time they're expecting it, and it's just really messy and not reliable at all. Another thing is, a reason specs keld was so splashable in oras ou was because it could just mindlessly spam scald, do a ton, get the burn, and luck your way to victory. We all know by now that scald is not near as mindless as it once was, and so some of the allure of using specs keld is lost. I'm going to pretend the sub cm set doesn't exist because fini makes it a waste of a team slot in this meta, scarf runs into similar problems as specs except it's worse for scarf as it lacks the firepower on the hp elec. And I haven't even covered the presence of stuff like toxapex, av magearna, and the ever-improving mega venu. Gen 7 just hasn't been very friendly towards keldeo, and I feel that it's viability ranking should reflect that.
I think Greninja and Ash Greninja are flat out better than it purely as water special attackers, but it's stealth rock resistance and ability to actually provide decent defensive utility while still hitting like a truck gives it a lot of advantages over them. The fact that it can actually live moderately powered and weaker super effective hits is a huge boon in it's favor and that gives it enough of a niche to remain in B+ in my opinion. The fact that it has the option to actually switch into to stuff like lando, ttar, mega scizor...etc is pretty great.

Plus it's bulk lets it do shit like potentially stay in on a rotom volt switch and not die to stop momentum. It has a really good chance of living a +1 giga drain from Volcarona

Most of all, Fini is not a complete stop to it. Moonblast is only a 2hko since once again keldeo actually has solid enough bulk to live hits, so if fini is switching in it actually has to be able to tank 3 hits in a row. Resisted specs Hydro is doing like 30% to ma hp fini. Fini does not like sitting there eating that all day especially with zero recovery.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Unranked ---> C-
So I know C- isn't really something worth arguing over, but Gary's post never really explained this so I gotta ask: what exactly is Raikou doing in this meta that something else doesn't fulfill better? Particularly Tapu Koko, which is faster, stronger, has a better movepool, and even competes with it in Calm Minding due to access to Roost, which also lets Tapu Koko check stuff like Tapu Fini and non-Sludge Wave Tornadus-T better.

As far as I can tell, Raikou's only real niches amount to being able to better check Sludge Wave Torn-T and Tapu Koko itself (and even then, I'm skeptical on declaring this niche C- worthy for Raikou even if it had kept Volt Absorb), as well as Extrasensory to let CM Raikou hit Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss while not being weak to Poison. Other than that, I'm quite lost on what else Raikou's supposed to do here.

Last edited:
Bewear: C- to Unranked

I don't see how this little guy has a niche in the metagame when Buzzwole and Landorus do his job better. Looking at usage stats, it appears that the only people using him are those using pre-bank "fun" teams in Pokebank OU.

Code:
| Teammates|
| Muk-Alola +7.108% |
| Dhelmise +4.738% |
| Araquanid +4.717% |
| Arcanine +4.253% |
| Marowak-Alola +4.048% |
| Mimikyu +3.735% |
| Xurkitree +3.275% |
| Tsareena +3.138% |
| Golisopod +2.887% |
| Minior +2.705% |
| Necrozma +2.627% |
| Raichu-Alola +2.572% |

Giagantic

True Coffee Maniac
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OM Leader
Cofagrious was likely ranked for more then just its Trick Room sets but also due to its ability to check Mega-Metagross, Pheromosa, basically most physically focused OU staples. This is my conjecture and also something I have played around with on a Bulky Offense team I made a few weeks ago.

I think I wanna bring up a potentially contentious nomination but feel like in the current state of the metagame Charizard-Y for A rank and the reason I say this stems from multiple reasons.

The metagame in its current state lacks many pokemon that can effectively deal with Charizard-Y such as the prevalence of Sand namely Tyranitar, Lati Twins being in somewhat lesser straits due to Fairy dominance, priority is severely lacking due to Lele, and the number of switchin's is utterly pathetic.

I have found myself in situations versus this beast and faced with only one option, sack shit and hopefully be better able to pressure it to prevent it from ravaging my team.

I think that at the very least bringing this monster up for better awareness is necessary whether it actually is put into A or kept at -A.

Cofagrious was likely ranked for more then just its Trick Room sets but also due to its ability to check Mega-Metagross, Pheromosa, basically most physically focused OU staples. This is my conjecture and also something I have played around with on a Bulky Offense team I made a few weeks ago.

I think I wanna bring up a potentially contentious nomination but feel like in the current state of the metagame Charizard-Y for A rank and the reason I say this stems from multiple reasons.

The metagame in its current state lacks many pokemon that can effectively deal with Charizard-Y such as the prevalence of Sand namely Tyranitar, Lati Twins being in somewhat lesser straits due to Fairy dominance, priority is severely lacking due to Lele, and the number of switchin's is utterly pathetic.

I have found myself in situations versus this beast and faced with only one option, sack shit and hopefully be better able to pressure it to prevent it from ravaging my team.

I think that at the very least bringing this monster up for better awareness is necessary whether it actually is put into A or kept at -A.
Cases in point:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-514977826
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-514987434

The first replay shows what happens if you don't have anything to check it well while the second replay demonstrates that even mons like Heatran aren't safe switching in as Earthqake is a very real possibility on Mega Charizard Y.

And to support the Volcarona cause:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-514990502

A fine demonstration of how threatening this bug can be if you let it get a single Quiver Dance and don't have anything to handle it at that point.

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus
B+ -> B / B-
Realistically, Clefable has fallen flat ever since the beginning of this generation and it just keeps getting worse in my eyes; the rise of other Fairy-types such as Lele, Fini, and Bulu has lead to Steel-types becoming even more increasingly common with the main example being Mega Metagross which absolutely blows Clefable back. Along with this, just about everything in the S/A+/A ranks bullies Clefable to no end; Lele, Metagross, Bulu, Koko, Ash-Gren and others force too much offensive presence for Clefable to do just about anything in the meta with ease, whether that be perform as a CM wincon or set up Rocks like it used to be able to do. The omnipresence of Fini also makes Clefable irrelevant since Taunt sets completely shut it down while also forcing more threats like Protean Greninja to shove Gunk Shot in their movesets to take Fini out, which also means that they have Clefable covered for as well. Clefable is hanging by in the current meta due to its performance as an Unaware user on stall builds, but even with that in mind, Clefable is a threat that I just never have to worry about whatsoever when building because preparing for the high ranked threats 99% of the time means that you have Clefable covered for, and that is not the type of quality I would expect from a B+ rank mon, or even a B rank mon. So overall, if shoving Clefable down two ranks is too much, then moving it down one rank is fine too, but it's quite obvious from playing this meta as of late that it is way too harsh against Clefable and thus should move down to either B or B- rank.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Charizard Y is a difficult mon to completely justify going up to A without objection. While I admit the absence of its problematic Pokemon certainly help it, it is quite restricted to a specific team playstyle. Compare this to the plethora of A Rank Pokemon that are quite splashable on teams and that need very little-to-no real support. The closest is maybe Zygarde, but one thing that really helps leverage it is that SubCoil with Thousand Arrows swallows teams if they rely on physical Pokemon or bulkier threats to take on threats. Zard Y teams are quite vulnerable to Mega Metagross and Ash-Greninja as well, which really doesn't help it. Personally I'm on the fence, but I think A- fits mildly better. For what it's worth I wouldn't throw a hissy fit over A.

On another note, I actually disagree with Terrakion rising and feel it needs to go to B Tier instead. Terrakion is a great Pokemon, but it faces severe competition from Landorus-T. For starters Landorus-T gives it very stiff competition as far as a Z Move user. Landorus-T has the options of Continental Crush and Supersonic Skystrike. Furthermore, it can set up much easier thanks to the better typing, access to Intimidate, and better durability. Terrakion runs into the issue where it would need to use Substitute or else face severe risk of being revenge killed by Mega Scizor, which has been somewhat popular as a Mega Metagross check. Landorus-T has a much easier time setting up things such as double dance or Stealth Rock as well. Terrakion's other sets are "okay", but they really don't stand out very well. Many of the Pokemon in B+ Tier fill a rather unique niche that is difficult for its peers below to really compare. Bisharp is still a good Pokemon to punish Defog as its use has increased rapidly with the arrival of Tapu Fini while Chansey, Clefable, and Toxapex fit excellent molds in defensive teams. I think Supersonic Skystrike Salamence is borderline A- next to Dugtrio (I really think this mon should rise by the way, but let's leave that another day) and I'm sure Volcarona is about to rise to A- anyway. Basically notice that many of these Pokemon in B+ tier have rather solid niches behind themselves... while Terrakion is just another strong offensive Pokemon. It's terrifying if it sets up, but it still requires a tad more support to get through teams effectively than some of its comparable counterparts.

For reference I know a few people who have faced the same dilemma as I when it comes to building a team with Rockium Z Terrakion. It sounds flames on paper, but you realize you almost go to Landorus-T because it's easier to set up or provides a unique utility component behind it (Stealth Rock, Double Dance, Knock Off).

Last edited:
Dunno about the Z set, but Terrakion definitely has the niche of being the best stealth rock setter on offensive teams. I've played with the sash Taunt/SR/Stone Miss/CC set and it's really great on offensive teams with it's ability to consistently throw down rocks while shutting down opposing rock setters/defoggers with taunt.

Decreased usage of the latis is a great boon to it since they were the only common defoggers who outspeed it.

I'm still good guys...

Hi. I would like to nominate Volcanion for B+ rank.

Volcanion @ Grassium Z
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Toxic / Hidden Power [Electric] (suggested by Uribe13)

The reason is that, similarly to Heatran, Volcanion has gotten a huge buff with Z-moves thanks to Grassium-Z, which allows Volcanion to fire off a stupidly strong grass-type move that targets it's best previous checks, bulky Water-Types, outright killing or severly weakening them. It also loves the Lati twins being a bit less relevant.
Volcanion immediately becomes more difficult to check, as it' offensive typing and great moves to abuse it are now harder to play around. Volcanion also still boasts great utility thanks to it's great defensive typing, Water-Absorb ability, and decent bulk for an offensive Pokémon. To top it all off, we all know how hazard control is in good shape in this metagame, making Volcanion way better than it was in the late ORAS Metagame. Do I have to mention how still busted Steam Eruption is, even with the nerf of burn?

This set packs maximum power, with 176 speed EVs allowing Volcanion to reach 220 Speed, outspeeding 52 spe Tapu Fini, 96 spe Tapu Bulu, still gets the jump over most Rotoms, Defensive/Offensive Mega-Venusaur, etc. The remaining 80 EVs are put in HP for more overall bulk, and allow Volcanion to always survive Mega-Metagross's Thunder Punch after Stealth Rock, and Mega-Alakazam's Psychic after Stealth Rock, for exemple.

252+ SpA Volcanion Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 300-354 (99.6 - 117.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Volcanion Bloom Doom vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mantine: 170-200 (45.4 - 53.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Volcanion Bloom Doom vs. 248 HP / 16 SpD Tapu Fini: 358-422 (104.3 - 123%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Volcanion Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Magearna: 288-338 (79.1 - 92.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Volcanion Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 144 SpD Thick Fat Venusaur-Mega: 122-146 (33.6 - 40.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Volcanion Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celesteela: 230-272 (57.7 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Sableye-Mega: 141-166 (46.3 - 54.6%) -- 59.8% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Volcanion: 236-278 (73.5 - 86.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Thunder Punch vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Volcanion: 200-236 (62.3 - 73.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Alakazam-Mega Psychic vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Volcanion: 202-238 (62.9 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I disagree with dropping Alolan Marowak. A lot of the arguments for it to drop are treating its primary role as a switchin to Pheromosa, Tapu Koko, and Mega Scizor. I'll tell you right now if you are using a slow breaker that's weak to Rocks as your U-turn switchin, then yes it's going to find itself in unfavorable matchups often and will not perform to expectations.

Marowak's best role is not as a switchin, but as a breaker. Ghost resists are almost non existent and Thick Club Adamant Shadow Bone is quite difficult to switch into. While Tapu Fini and Landorus-T can come in, they don't particularly punish the Shadow Bone, especially because it dodges Rocky Helmet from Lando-T. Earthquake is a solid coverage move which prevents Tyranitar from being a safe switchin.

So yeah, if you throw your Marowak out every time there's a pokemon it hard checks on the field, that's not necessarily gonna work out for you. Its defensive attributes are important to its viability but that doesn't make switching it into U-turn a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)