Resource SM OU Viability Ranking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scribble

formerly Dartrix - Joker
is a Contributor to Smogon
I wouldn't say Zygarde 10% is totally outclassed by 50%. The speed tier is crucial, as it avoids Lele speed ties and outspeeds Metagross, Gengar and the Charizards. C+ seems too harsh, and I think it's fine in B.
But how does Zydog even get in on these mons safely? It can't switch in on any of them. It requires a hard double, or a slow pivot with U-Turn/Volt Switch.

So for the sake of argument, let's assume that Zydog isn't totally outclassed by Zygarde. What is Zydog's job? To be a fast revenge killer. What are some other fast revenge killers? Greninja comes to mind, and it has an even better Speed tier, ability, and movepool than Zydog. Greninja can at least threaten the outright OHKO or 2HKO (OHKO after some chip) on all of these mons, and brings far more to the table than Zydog. Zydog's Speed tier is above average, but it's really the only thing it has going for it. The only time you should ever use Zydog over another fast revenge killer like Greninja is if your team really needs that Speed control, could use physical Ground spam, and has enough bulk to make up for the complete lack of defensive presence Zydog has. Greninja doesn't require support; it chooses its moves based on what its team needs most, and it can revenge the same mons that Zydog can. Greninja can also play mind games because it actually has a wide array of viable moves it can use (Zydog 99% of the time clicks Thousand Arrows. While an extremely good move, it is also predictable). On the other hand, when comparing Zydog to Zygarde, Zygarde sacrifices that Speed tier for an extreme boost to its bulk, which is far more valuable in the current meta since it can actually switch into and take hits. Its typing allows it to check non HP Ice Volcarona and Mega Charizard Y. It also gives it the option to set up using Coil or Dragon Dance. It can even stall breall. Its Choice Band set is mainly what pushed Zygarde into A+ because of its lack of switch ins. That is Zydog's only set. However, it isn't nearly as rewarding since Zydog is super frail and highly susceptible to priority.

To me, this is the very nature of a niche mon. Keeping it in B rank would also mean saying it is on the same level of the likes of Pelipper, Kingdra, Kartana, and Kyurem-Black. I doubt there is anyone who disagrees with me in saying that at the very least these four mons are better than Zydog. All of them are pretty unique at what they can do (Especially Pelipper), and if allowed to do their job, they can do it pretty damn well. That is what makes a mon worthy of B rank. When left unchecked, they are extremely potent at what they can do, but when checked properly, they kind of fall flat (see Kartana). Zydog is not extremely potent at what it can do (see its SPL record), outclassed as both a fast revenge killer by Greninja, and outclassed as a Banded Dragon/Ground type by Zygarde. The C+ rank is filled with mons that have niches, such as Mega Beedrill and Alola Ninetales. They're not garbage mons, but their niche isn't that huge when compared to other meta game threats. Zydog fits more closely with them in that it's a pretty good fast revenge killer, but extremely outclassed, frail, and walled by common mons in the tier (a bit reminiscent of Mega Beedrill, now that I think about it).

Tl;Dr: Zydog isn't just outclassed by Zygarde as a Dragon/Ground type, it's also outclassed by mons like Greninja as a fast revenge killer. It's in a similar position to Mega Beedrill. It's not a shit mon, but what it does is rather predictable, outclassed, easily counterable, and niche in the current meta game.

C- -> Something higher than C-
This guy has never been the leader of the pack but year after year it keeps retaining its niche. Hydreigon has a very similar defensive niche as Latios but with a much better movepool and therefore, better breaking power. It's still pretty tricky to switch into and can provide a check to pretty much every grass and steel type in the tier. As for meta shifts that make the hydra better, Flaming Victini says it best in the creative set dump. Bulky fairy types have fallen off the map leaving things that resist its STABs but are 3hkoed by Pulse anyway or things like Magearna and Bulu that fear coverage. Tapu Fini is its worst enemy but even that has fallen a little and its lack of recovery means Hydreigon's teammates can handle it. Does Hydreigon have its problems? Yup, the standards for being ranked have risen but I'd say Hydreigon's strengths put it at C+ for me.

Zydog is hot garbage.

It can barely switch into anything at all, because even decently strong resisted hits 2HKO it, which makes it a shit rkiller. Plus, everyone and their mon carry HP Ice nowadays, and even weak as hell HP Ices from stuff like Tangrowth have a chance of KOing it.

Thousand Arrows is a great move but doesn't pack nearly enough punch on Zydog to justify using it, even with STAB and Choice Band.

Zydog's speed tier is awkward as fuck because it really only needs to outspeed base 110s since every other relevant >110 speed mon outspeeds it, but it can't run adamant because then its speed is too low. 361 speed isn't that great in a meta with so many scarfers and speed boosting mons, especially since it only has a 6% chance of KOing Mega Metagross, whereas something like pre ash gren specs dark pulse is consistent against it and Gren resists its priority. I guess it outspeeds Scarf Magnezone? And Scolipede but lol speed boost.

Overall, it's just completely undeserving of B. I'd also extend that distinction to Buzzwole - why is it the same rank as Kartana, again? Even going down to B-. we have stuff like Breloom, Gastrodon, Dragonite and Bronzong with clear niches (Spore set up sweeper, rain drain special wall, multiscale DD, MMeta Check). What's Buzzwole's niche? What does it do that Kartana doesn't do better or just as well? Why would anyone ever choose it over something like Zygarde for a bulky sub set?

I second the nomination of both to some area of C or at the very least B-.

I'll second the nomination for Hydreigon to C+.

I used it a lot a while ago in combination with M-meta, who it synergizes incredibly well with. They form a very nice bulky offensive core who can beat each other's checks (Fire Blast/Flamethrower helps with skarm/sciz/ferro for example) and cover each other's weaknesses due to good type synergy.

Aside from the nice combo with the best mega in the tier, Hydreigon has some issues though. The transition to SUMO brought an influx of fairies that just don't care about either of its STABs (Bulu still gets bopped by Fblast though) en some things that it checked in XY, like Bisharp, have dropped off. Its base speed of 98 is also a bit underwhelming, but it does let it outspeed stuff like Kyurem, Lele, Zygarde, Lando, ... and a Modest nature still speed ties with Base 85's like Nidoking. And even though fairies give it some trouble, it has all the tools it wants to beat the overly common steel types with Earth Power, Fire Blast, Focus Blast or heck, even Superpower, or Flash Cannon for fairies. I believe it even gets defog, but please don't use that lol.

Which brings me to its main selling points: An unbelievably deep movepool, one of the deepest in the entire game, and great firepower coming off its 125 base Sp.A, combined with a usable Atk. stat of 105 and nice 92/90/90 bulk (this shouldn't be underestimated. It's a perfect R-Wash counter, amongst others).
Not all of its sets are equally good, but these are IMo the usable ones:

- Modest Life Orb with Draco Meteor, Dark Pulse, coverage and Roost (I used this one the most for its wallbreaking potential. M-venu for example loses to this since Hydreigon has just the amount of bulk needed to tank some hits)​

- Timid Specs with STABs and 2 coverage moves​

- Timid/Modest Scarf with STABs, coverage and U-turn (Mostly for beating M-zam. Faster scarfers like Keldeo give it trouble, although it resists Scald and Metagross beats Sword-locked Keldeo)​

I don't have the time right now to compare it against all the S through A- mons, or make a wall of calcs, but it's able to power through more mons than you would think at first sight and surprises or just straight up destroys unprepared teams.
I think I also have some replays but I'd have to go look for them. I'll edit this post with some when I have the time.

If the C ranks are for niche mons, then Hydreigon definitely deserves to sit at the top of it. It needs support and has some common checks/counters, but it puts in tons of work on the right teams. C+ would only do it justice IMO.

Edit: Talking about M-meta: Hydreigon checks it if it doesn't have Hammer Arm. Ice Punch doesn't OHKO and Dark Pulse does.
252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Metagross-Mega: 307-361 (101.9 - 119.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Hydreigon: 252-298 (77.5 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Even Timid OHKO's. Rocks give M-meta a 30% chance to kill you. Scarf has always got you covered.

252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 344-407 (90 - 106.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 361-426 (94.5 - 111.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

You always outspeed and kill defensive Lando-T. Life Orb requires a Modest nature for the kill, but 252 speed EV's still make you faster.

252 Atk Landorus-Therian Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Hydreigon: 232-273 (71.3 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 324-382 (101.5 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Jolly doesn't kill you. Adamant does, but you will always outspeed that and kill first (even when Timid, which outspeeds Jolly Lando). Supersonic Skystrike is a clean OHKO on Hydra. It checks all Landorus sets beside 1.

252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 354-421 (108.9 - 129.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

You OHKO each other. Only Scarf handles Gren, unless it wouldn't be running Ice Beam for some reason

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 165-195 (50.7 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 125-147 (38.4 - 45.2%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

You check A-gren and counter when it hasn't gotten a kill.

252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celesteela: 218-257 (54.7 - 64.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Celesteela Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Hydreigon: 142-168 (43.6 - 51.6%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

You kill it before it kills you, even when Timid. Only Timid scarf turns the 2HKO into a 33% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Mawile-Mega: 250-296 (82.5 - 97.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

This is against Sp.Def Mawile. Modest is a clean OHKO. Iron Head never kills you (it does a max of 77% on the switch in since you're faster anyway), Sucker Punch does like 20% max

252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Lele: 216-255 (76.8 - 90.7%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Timid Specs double you chances. Modest specs is a kill but makes you slower if Lele is Timid.

Tricky matchup. You have to carry Flash Cannon in the first place. You outspeed, unless it's scarfed. If it's locked into psychic/psyshock you get a free hit though

252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 240 HP / 212+ SpD Zygarde: 416-491 (99.7 - 117.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

You always win this matchup. SubCoil only 3HKO's you with TA, you have 3 more points in speed and every other zygarde set is OHKO's by Draco Meteor.

Zard-Y
252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Charizard-Mega-Y: 263-309 (88.5 - 104%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon in Sun: 171-202 (52.6 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Tricky matchup. You live Fire Blast, but don't always OHKO with Draco. Scarf makes you faster, but will never OHKO Zard.

Volcarona
252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Volcarona: 282-333 (90.6 - 107%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

These things don't carry Bug Buzz anymore. Modest LO and Timid Specs make you able to OHKO. HP Ice and Inferno Overdrive from Volcarona do about 55% to you. You always win if they have HP Ground instead of Ice, or some other coverage. You always lose if they have HP Ice and go for QD, but still do a nice chunk of damage in the proces.

Toxapex
252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Toxapex: 105-125 (34.5 - 41.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Toxapex: 168-199 (55.2 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

Toxapex typically doesn't run this much Sp.Def investment, but you still have a nice chance of 2HKO'ing it with LO modest. or 2 Draco's from Specs including the Sp.A drop.
This is vs. PhysDef: 252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Toxapex: 214-253 (70.3 - 83.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

Venusaur
252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 232 HP / 80 SpD Venusaur-Mega: 144-172 (40.1 - 47.9%) -- 50.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 232 HP / 80 SpD Venusaur-Mega: 235-278 (65.4 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

This is vs. Bulky M-venu. You always outspeed and 2HKO. Offensive M-venu dies to a Draco. Sludge Bomb has a 20% chance to 2HKO you.

Hoopa
252 Atk Choice Band Hoopa-Unbound Hyperspace Fury vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Hydreigon: 156-183 (48 - 56.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hoopa-Unbound: 234-277 (77.7 - 92%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

You outspeed this thing. Timid Specs turns it into a 68% chance to OHKO after rocks for you. beware of Drain Punch though. Pair your Hydreigon with Landorus and you cover like half the meta.

Sableye
252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Sableye-Mega: 118-140 (38.8 - 46%)
252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Sableye-Mega: 191-226 (62.8 - 74.3%)

This is from Timid life orb. You 2HKO Sab with every set except Scarf. Chansey obviously walls you to hell and back though.

You beat Ferro, Scizor, Amoonguss, Tangrowth, Excadrill and Magnezone with Fire Blast, beat Gengar when you're scarfed or when it wouldn't be running Focus Blast, beat Heatran, Excadrill and Magnezone with Earth Power and it only gets better when you're looking down the ranks.
(M-venu, Zard-Y, Volcarona, Toxapex, Hoopa, Sableye, ...)

It obviously can't run all those sets at once, but beats a lot of top tier threats regardless of set. Looking at this I might even go as far as to nominate it for B-, but I could see how the current meta and its subpar speed hold it back. I used it a lot and enjoyed nuking stuff with it, but speed is definitely a very limiting factor on this thing. If only it were 3 points faster so it tied with Garchomp and outsped the Zards...

Nidoking sits at B- though, and Modest Hydreigon is exactly as fast as Timid Nidoking (285 speed). Ground/Poison STABs are pretty nice in this meta, but Draco Meteor hits almost twice as hard and Dark spam is still good despite the fairies. I guess checking Koko is pretty usefull, so maybe C+ is a good place for Hydra for now.

Last edited:
I'll second the nomination for Hydreigon to C+.

I used it a lot a while ago in combination with M-meta, who it synergizes incredibly well with. They form a very nice bulky offensive core who can beat each other's checks (Fire Blast/Flamethrower helps with skarm/sciz/ferro for example) and cover each other's weaknesses due to good type synergy.

Aside from the nice combo with the best mega in the tier, Hydreigon has some issues though. The transition to SUMO brought an influx of fairies that just don't care about either of its STABs (Bulu still gets bopped by Fblast though) en some things that it checked in XY, like Bisharp, have dropped off. Its base speed of 98 is also a bit underwhelming, but it does let it outspeed stuff like Kyurem, Lele, Zygarde, Lando, ... and a Modest nature still speed ties with Base 85's like Nidoking. And even though fairies give it some trouble, it has all the tools it wants to beat the overly common steel types with Earth Power, Fire Blast, Focus Blast or heck, even Superpower, or Flash Cannon for fairies. I believe it even gets defog, but please don't use that lol.

Which brings me to its main selling points: An unbelievably deep movepool, one of the deepest in the entire game, and great firepower coming off its 125 base Sp.A, combined with a usable Atk. stat of 105 and nice 92/90/90 bulk (this shouldn't be underestimated. It's a perfect R-Wash counter, amongst others).
Not all of its sets are equally good, but these are IMo the usable ones:

- Modest Life Orb with Draco Meteor, Dark Pulse, coverage and Roost (I used this one the most for its wallbreaking potential. M-venu for example loses to this since Hydreigon has just the amount of bulk needed to tank some hits)​

- Timid Specs with STABs and 2 coverage moves​

- Timid/Modest Scarf with STABs, coverage and U-turn (Mostly for beating M-zam. Faster scarfers like Keldeo give it trouble, although it resists Scald and Metagross beats Sword-locked Keldeo)​

I don't have the time right now to compare it against all the S through A- mons, or make a wall of calcs, but it's able to power through more mons than you would think at first sight and surprises or just straight up destroys unprepared teams.
I think I also have some replays but I'd have to go look for them. I'll edit this post with some when I have the time.

If the C ranks are for niche mons, then Hydreigon definitely deserves to sit at the top of it. It needs support and has some common checks/counters, but it puts in tons of work on the right teams. C+ would only do it justice IMO.

Edit: Talking about M-meta: Hydreigon checks it if it doesn't have Hammer Arm. Ice Punch doesn't OHKO and Dark Pulse does.
252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Metagross-Mega: 307-361 (101.9 - 119.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Hydreigon: 252-298 (77.5 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Even Timid OHKO's. Rocks give M-meta a 30% chance to kill you. Scarf has always got you covered.

252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 344-407 (90 - 106.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 361-426 (94.5 - 111.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

You always outspeed and kill defensive Lando-T. Life Orb requires a Modest nature for the kill, but 252 speed EV's still make you faster.

252 Atk Landorus-Therian Continental Crush (180 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Hydreigon: 232-273 (71.3 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 324-382 (101.5 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Jolly doesn't kill you. Adamant does, but you will always outspeed that and kill first (even when Timid, which outspeeds Jolly Lando). Supersonic Skystrike is a clean OHKO on Hydra. It checks all Landorus sets beside 1.

252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 354-421 (108.9 - 129.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

You OHKO each other. Only Scarf handles Gren, unless it wouldn't be running Ice Beam for some reason

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 165-195 (50.7 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 125-147 (38.4 - 45.2%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

You check A-gren and counter when it hasn't gotten a kill.

252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celesteela: 218-257 (54.7 - 64.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Celesteela Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Hydreigon: 142-168 (43.6 - 51.6%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

You kill it before it kills you, even when Timid. Only Timid scarf turns the 2HKO into a 33% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Mawile-Mega: 250-296 (82.5 - 97.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

This is against Sp.Def Mawile. Modest is a clean OHKO. Iron Head never kills you (it does a max of 77% on the switch in since you're faster anyway), Sucker Punch does like 20% max

252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Lele: 216-255 (76.8 - 90.7%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Timid Specs double you chances. Modest specs is a kill but makes you slower if Lele is Timid.

Tricky matchup. You have to carry Flash Cannon in the first place. You outspeed, unless it's scarfed. If it's locked into psychic/psyshock you get a free hit though

252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 240 HP / 212+ SpD Zygarde: 416-491 (99.7 - 117.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

You always win this matchup. SubCoil only 3HKO's you with TA, you have 3 more points in speed and every other zygarde set is OHKO's by Draco Meteor.

Zard-Y
252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Charizard-Mega-Y: 263-309 (88.5 - 104%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon in Sun: 171-202 (52.6 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Tricky matchup. You live Fire Blast, but don't always OHKO with Draco. Scarf makes you faster, but will never OHKO Zard.

Volcarona
252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Volcarona: 282-333 (90.6 - 107%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

These things don't carry Bug Buzz anymore. Modest LO and Timid Specs make you able to OHKO. HP Ice and Inferno Overdrive from Volcarona do about 55% to you. You always win if they have HP Ground instead of Ice, or some other coverage. You always lose if they have HP Ice and go for QD, but still do a nice chunk of damage in the proces.

Toxapex
252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Toxapex: 105-125 (34.5 - 41.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Toxapex: 168-199 (55.2 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

Toxapex typically doesn't run this much Sp.Def investment, but you still have a nice chance of 2HKO'ing it with LO modest. or 2 Draco's from Specs including the Sp.A drop.
This is vs. PhysDef: 252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Toxapex: 214-253 (70.3 - 83.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

Venusaur
252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 232 HP / 80 SpD Venusaur-Mega: 144-172 (40.1 - 47.9%) -- 50.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 232 HP / 80 SpD Venusaur-Mega: 235-278 (65.4 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

This is vs. Bulky M-venu. You always outspeed and 2HKO. Offensive M-venu dies to a Draco. Sludge Bomb has a 20% chance to 2HKO you.

Hoopa
252 Atk Choice Band Hoopa-Unbound Hyperspace Fury vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Hydreigon: 156-183 (48 - 56.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hoopa-Unbound: 234-277 (77.7 - 92%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

You outspeed this thing. Timid Specs turns it into a 68% chance to OHKO after rocks for you. beware of Drain Punch though. Pair your Hydreigon with Landorus and you cover like half the meta.

Sableye
252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Sableye-Mega: 118-140 (38.8 - 46%)
252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Sableye-Mega: 191-226 (62.8 - 74.3%)

This is from Timid life orb. You 2HKO Sab with every set except Scarf. Chansey obviously walls you to hell and back though.

You beat Ferro, Scizor, Amoonguss, Tangrowth, Excadrill and Magnezone with Fire Blast, beat Gengar when you're scarfed or when it wouldn't be running Focus Blast, beat Heatran, Excadrill and Magnezone with Earth Power and it only gets better when you're looking down the ranks.
(M-venu, Zard-Y, Volcarona, Toxapex, Hoopa, Sableye, ...)

It obviously can't run all those sets at once, but beats a lot of top tier threats regardless of set. Looking at this I might even go as far as to nominate it for B-, but I could see how the current meta and its subpar speed hold it back. I used it a lot and enjoyed nuking stuff with it, but speed is definitely a very limiting factor on this thing. If only it were 3 points faster so it tied with Garchomp and outsped the Zards...
I personally would like to see a Hydreigon rise.

I've used it personally and it really does work if you put in the right situation, it does even better with a web team. Fairies do give it trouble, but it has coverage for them in flash cannon, not to mention it pairs very well with Mega Metagross, who eats fairies for breakfast.

I just don't see why a mon who can 2KO or straight up OHKO alot of the upper teir is in the same rank as bloody Seismitoad.

I do however think that slingshoting it directly to B- is jumping the gun a bit, I think C+ would be a good place for it now.

EDIT: The fact that it hard walls A-Maro is also a pretty good selling point too.

Last edited:

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
RANKING UPDATE

Rises:

A- ---> A
B+ ---> A-

Drops:

B+ ---> B
B+ ---> B
B ---> B-
B ---> B-
B ---> B-
B ---> C+
B- ---> C+
C+ ----> C
C+ ---> C
C- ---> Unranked

Very few relevant changes this time, but this update was mostly meant to give the ranks one last clean sweep before the Mosa suspect ends considering that if it gets banned, a lot will probably change. Also the lower ranks were still pretty gross and needed to be touched up.

• Heatran didn't fit very well with the other Pokemon in A-. It's still a decently splashable Pokemon that has the capabilities to rip a lot of defensive cores to shreds atm, especially with all these fat grasses and steels running around. Bloom Doom is still perfectly viable, but we've started seeing a few other sets pop up such as Tectonic Rage for Pex and Wisp for checking Mawile more consistently, while also punishing Zygarde/Chomp switch-ins. Speaking of Mawile, its impact on the meta also influences Heatran because it's a really solid check to the AoA set, and with Wisp it can dodge Sucker.
  • Marowak has seen quite a lot of usage recently, especially in SPL due to the massive influx of Pheromosa usage. Its typing defensively is still really useful, as it resists both of Mosa's STABs (lol Fighting) and takes very little from a +1 Ice Beam, fearing only the rare HP Ground variant. Offensively, it's a monster. Any free opportunity Marowak gets to spam one of its STABs, there's a high chance you're probably losing a Pokemon, so it's extremely punishing in that regard for its ability to capitalize on free switch-ins. It's also a great stallbreaker too, and can provide role compression with SR for offensive teams. Both Lightningrod and Rock Head are viable too, depending on whether or not you want raw power or a better check to Koko.
  • Most of the stuff dropping is pretty self-explanatory or has already been discussed. Driller is a very subpar offensive spinner in the current meta that is walled by a lot more this gen unless running SD Corkscrew, but that forces you to put it on sand. Mence is solid, but Gyarados is better overall. Kartana is ass. Slowbro has been meaning to drop for a while the Mosa meta is just not kind to it, but I could definitely see it going back up in future, as with Mega Bro. Zygarde 10%'s niche is outspeeding meta and Gengar mostly, but other than that, it's extremely outclassed in almost every way by Zygarde.
  • Buzzwole is an overhyped piece of garbage that can't even wall the Pokemon it's intended to, as they often carry coverage for it or in Zyg's case, sometimes Toxic. Loom has a hard time doing anything in a heavy grass infested meta and Lele running around. Necrozma's niche on TR and some niche BP teams is not strong enough to keep it in C+. Shedinja is worthless outside of stall, and on there it still requires a ton of support and smart play to keep it alive. Seismitoad's niche on rain as a Koko check is overshadowed by the fact it's hot garbage and still isn't worth using over other swimmers. Swampert coming out has nothing to do with this, but it would definitely drop at that point anyway.
If you have any questions on current rankings/recent changes, feel free to PM me or any member of the council. Especially TDK because fuck that guy tbh.

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
Okay, I made a similar post to this in the metagame thread, so I might copy some things exactly from there, but I feel like it's an appropriate time to make this nom. Long message incoming:

A+ ---> S

There are little to no drawbacks in using Greninja. Seriously. So first, let me just restate Greninja's exact influence in the meta:

First of all, protean. Can you even counter this thing? It has everything in its movepool - hydro pump, dark pulse, ice beam, hp fire, extrasensory, gunk shot, low kick, spikes (which are phenomenal rn), hell even grass knot iirc. Free stab on every move is huge.

Now I know newer mons like Koko, Pheromosa, and others can outspeed and revenge kill (whereas in ORAS it didn't face much competition as far as speed tier), but I still want to talk about why I think it's thriving just as much in SM as it was in ORAS. In ORAS, it mainly served as a cleaner - it had coverage for everything, Clef and Lati twins were everywhere, it could beat Ttar and even the Keldeo + Mega Venusaur builds, and its unpredictability factor was stellar. Now, it can serve two different roles: cleaning (for bulkier teams) or supporting a sweep (when paired up with things like Metagross, Mawile, or so on). Which leads to my next point:

A vast majority of teams are forced to run things like pex, ferro, steela, etc.. to try and counter the countless offensive threats present now. Teams need answers to Phero, MegaGross, MegaMaw, and so on.. and all these answers can be slammed by Greninja. Literally. Whether it's using these mons to break holes through the opponent's team to the point where ninja can just sweep, or using ninja to aid the sweep of something like mosa, volc, or whatever - there is literally no ninja set that you can't find to benefit your team (as far as I know and from my experience). Besides stall, which you can try and offensively overwhelm with popular partners like Lele + Mosa, there is no matchup where ninja is dead weight because it can adapt to anything. Greninja also benefits from mons like Heatran and A-Wak seeing a rise in usage (although A-Wak will probably drop in the future).

I also don't buy that it has 4MSS. Hell, Metagross also supposedly has 4MSS but look at that thing. Sure, you can scout its movepool based on the other mons and it is limited to only 4 moves, but this is easier said than done. Realistically, pivoting around and playing with its moveset will only mean that your team will become weaker and more vulnerable to other mons, especially with hazards. Nothing can defog/spin on this thing either.

Then there's the problem that from preview, you could also be dealing with specs ash-ninja, which is also ridiculously hard to counter. Ash-ninja's seen plenty of talk already and it goes without saying what it does. Specs hits everything hard, especially with darks and bulky fairies taking a major hit.

Now, I want to try and address the points that were made by the council when Greninja was dropped - realistically, I don't have the time to go sentence by sentence, but I'll try to hit the major points:

"It feels out of place with the other titans that reside in S rank that are basically centralizing the tier by themselves."
-->
This in itself is a bit hard to judge. It's true that Metagross and Lando are on basically every team, but this isn't necessarily something that makes them 'better' than Greninja. Lando is a bit hard to compare due to their different roles, but is not extremely hard to wear down because it gets switched into a lot of attacks and is used to check opposing Lando as well. Metagross has a worst case of "4MSS" than Greninja, also gets worn down by hazards, gets switched into attacks much more often than greninja, and is also hurt with the increase of scarfers.

TL;DR - Greninja has superior versatility than Metagross and are dealt with similarly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Greninja is a lot easier to pressure offensively this generation with the introduction of Pheromosa and Tapu Koko, as well as Choice Scarf users being on basically every team."
-->
Although I know we can't talk about Pheromosa not influencing the tier anymore even though it's getting suspect tested, I'll just say that it being soon gone is amazing news for Greninja. Tapu Koko naturally outspeeds (and is hard to counter in general for a lot of teams) but it also not hard to wear down or revenge kill with scarfers, priority, or just outright using something like Tangrowth, which is on a ton of teams, to counter it. Not to mention a-ninja's shuriken already does a minimum 75% to it and has a chance to ohko after rocks, especially with Koko pivoting around. Scarfers are also not hard to take advantage of (bar Gengar, which has to rely on FB or dies to shuriken with chip as well), and there aren't a lot of scarfers which don't appreciate a water shuriken (IF it happens to be a-ninja and you were saving your scarfers up predicting protean). Things like Chomp, Lele (which rarely runs scarf anymore anyway), and Nihilego are easily switched into (Lele isn't 'easy' but steels are a problem). Scarf Keldeo has also risen in usage because of this (which again shows Greninja's impact on the tier, even though it's not the only reason for its rise), but is not hard to counter: Toxapex, Tapu Fini, Latios, Tangrowth, Clef, and Amoongus, and you will find at least one of these on every build. Not to mention that scarfers like Chomp, Gengar, and Keldeo also threaten the omnipotent MegaGross.

TL;DR - Faster revenge killers aren't hard to counter and take advantage due to the defensive backbones of builds nowadays.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"..any well built balance or BO team should have answers to it defensively, and can rack up damage on it significantly between LO recoil and hazards. Celesteela, Ferrothorn, Mega Venu, Toxapex, AV Magearna, AV Magnezone.."
-->
My favorite types of builds are BO, and it's much, much easier said than done to find answers for Greninja. All of the aforementioned mons are weak to two moves in HP Fire / Extrasensory. Celesteela and AV Magearna are two of the most reliable checks; AV Magearna is wittled down easily and has no reliable recovery, and is also trapped by the annoying Dugtrio. Celesteela is another victim of "Lando syndrome" in that its defensive typing makes it be switched into a lot of other moves. The rare flames max attack low kick 2hkoes it. Not to mention that Greninja only needs a little team support in the form of Zygarde/Duggy to already crap on all of these mons. A lot of people have the common misconception that Greninja is meant to handle all of these mons single-handedly, but with the right team support, it's not hard to break past them. The one major drawback which is hard to control is hazards wearing it down, but this applies to most offensive mons. However, if you're on the opposite side of hazards, it's extremely hard to deal with it considering NOTHING defogs/spins freely on Greninja (and if we're assuming Greninja's suffering from hazards, I don't see why you can't assume you've also set them up on the opposing side).

TL;DR - Greninja's coverage can easily bust past its checks, especially with the appropriate team support, meaning it doesn't have to carry all the weight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"..and depending on the opponent's team structure you honestly should be able to tell what coverage Gren is running.."
-->
I deliberately left out the second half of this point since it was too long to copy/paste, but I think I've hit on this before. It's not easy to tell what coverage Greninja is running, and jumping to assumptions a lot of times can backfire heavily. The time you spend trying to decipher what coverage Greninja is running (assuming you're purely scouting) just means that your team is more susceptible to being swept by the partnered mons. Trying to tell what coverage it has from preview is also hard because if you didn't bring the right answers, then you're in for a hellstorm. Moreover, even if you do know what coverage it's running, your team is still taking chip damage assuming you even brought the right counters to the right set to begin with.

TL;DR - Greninja's coverage is too expansive to pack all the right answers to it on a single team, and trying to guess its coverage can make you lose to a bluff/other offensive partner.

I know not a lot of people will take the time to read all of that, but I hope my points were made clear to the tiering council as to why Greninja is still as big of a threat as it was before and why it's deserving of S rank. :toast:

Last edited:
I agree with Greninja to S rank. To be honest all that needed to be said was said by DownAbove. One point I need to add is that this mon is currently the best spiker in the tier and any mon in the tier that removes hazards is pressured by it making it very hard to deal with. i.e. Tapu Fini gets bopped by gunk, drill can be bopped by hp fire, or pump. Zapdos and latios get bopped by ice beam and so on. As stated above a certain mon being removed (yes I know this isn't really a valid point as mosa is still ou) doesn't make ninja any easier to deal with. This mons coverage and speed tier are what really puts it over the top. Also, on paper, greninja seems frail, however people forget that this mon, in addition to its insane speed and firepower, has this "artificial bulk" that comes from it's ability. i.e. koko (a common greninja check) comes in on greninja only to find out that it spiked. Now what? the greninja user gained momentum and koko can't do anything. (hp ice doesn't kill from full)
252 SpA Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Greninja: 158-186 (55.4 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Not to mention other scenarios like gren vs. gross (gross goes for thunderpunch or hammer arm, which doesn't kill if gren goes for hp fire) etc.
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Hammer Arm vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Greninja: 212-250 (74.3 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Thunder Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Greninja: 160-189 (56.1 - 66.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Speaking of Gross, gren checks it. It also checks Lando, the other S rank mon. Now why is a mon A+ when it checks not only the 2 S rank mons, but basically most mons in general. Overall it seems really strange that a mon that has 0 counters (at least no conventional viable counters anyway) and can check 2 of the tiers biggest threats (mosa doesn't count) as well as most of the meta in general is in A+.
Tl;dr greninja is a huge threat that teams have to consider and prepare for, or is a huge boon for offensive teams that supports the team immensely and has 0 downsides to using it. A+ seems odd for it when it can do so much and honestly does more than mmeta as far as versatility is concerned (like the post above said) and getting rid of it's would be checks. So I support the rise.

"Greninja is a lot easier to pressure offensively this generation with the introduction of Pheromosa and Tapu Koko, as well as Choice Scarf users being on basically every team."
-->
Although I know we can't talk about Pheromosa not influencing the tier anymore even though it's getting suspect tested, I'll just say that it being soon gone is amazing news for Greninja. Tapu Koko naturally outspeeds (and is hard to counter in general for a lot of teams) but it also not hard to wear down or revenge kill with scarfers, priority, or just outright using something like Tangrowth, which is on a ton of teams, to counter it. Not to mention a-ninja's shuriken ohkoes with 4 hits. Scarfers are also not hard to take advantage of (bar Gengar, which has to rely on FB or dies to shuriken with chip as well), and there aren't a lot of scarfers which don't appreciate a water shuriken. Things like Chomp, Lele (which rarely runs scarf anymore anyway), and Nihilego are easily switched into (Lele isn't 'easy' but steels are a problem). Scarf Keldeo has also risen in usage because of this (which again shows Greninja's impact on the tier, even though it's not the only reason for its rise), but is not hard to counter: Toxapex, Tapu Fini, Latios, Tangrowth, Clef, and Amoongus, and you will find at least one of these on every build. Not to mention that scarfers like Chomp, Gengar, and Keldeo also threaten the omnipotent MegaGross.

TL;DR - Faster revenge killers aren't hard to counter and take advantage due to the defensive backbones of builds nowadays.

I don't have any particular opinion on Protean Gren rising, but I don't understand why you're using water shuriken, specifically A-Gren's Water Shuriken, specifically A Gren's 4 hit Water Shuriken to justify your argument. 1. A-Gren having a 4 hit water shuriken is not a thing; once it transforms, it's locked to 3 hits. 2. A-Gren is not the Greninja you're talking about, so Koko and scarfers not liking its Water Shuriken isn't really relevant. 3. Protean Greninja, unless you're in dire need of priority, shouldn't really be running water shuriken at all.

Can someone explain why we have Torkoal ranked but not any Chlorophyll users? If Torkoal is viable, wouldn't it only be viable when used in conjunction with a Chlorophyll user in order to abuse sun? Just wondering

Torkoal should be unranked or rank Ninetales as it's simply a better sun setter for the 8 turn Heat Rock niche. Torkoal has a bad lead matchup with Landorus and Greninja running around. I get that it gets Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin but it's a horrible spinner so you're better off using something else to deal with hazards. Ninetales has the speed and Special Attack to actually do heavy damage to things trying to switch to it, it's not just there to set the 8 turn sun like Torkoal.

wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on Mamoswine? But i personally think it's really scary and deserves a rise to B+

I keep on running into and find that it can be a really difficult pokemon to deal with. Icicle Crash & Earthquake is an insane stab combination, and it has priority and access to Superpower which only adds to it's coverage. With life orb it puts a severe dent in most things, and it can also get a lot of free attempts to put up Stealth Rock which is still really useful.

It's only real counters are Physically Defensive Skarmory, Celesteela, and M-Scizor, and these weaknesses are easily covered, and even Celesteela and Skarmory won't switch into Icicle Crash repeatedly. M-Scizor is really good but with Mega Metagross everywhere it's not especially common. Mega-Metagross kills it but never switches into an earthquake.

Meanwhile Heatran, Tangrowth, Zygarde, Toxapex, Ferrothorn (if you run Superpower) and Landorus are all really common and are severely damaged by either of its STABS.

& while it's not exactly bulky or fast, it's speed and HP stats are decent to work with. A jolly max speed Mamoswine outspeeds a lot of common Landorus spreads for example.

IMO it just seems a lot better than Kyurem as an ice-type wallbreaker, with more utility thanks to Stealth Rock, and more or less on par in terms of viability with things like Bisharp and Tyranitar. Thought it was worth discussing because I feel like I keep on getting screwed by it, although that could just be because I'm a bad player

wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on Mamoswine? But i personally think it's really scary and deserves a rise to B+

I keep on running into and find that it can be a really difficult pokemon to deal with. Icicle Crash & Earthquake is an insane stab combination, and it has priority and access to Superpower which only adds to it's coverage. With life orb it puts a severe dent in most things, and it can also get a lot of free attempts to put up Stealth Rock which is still really useful.

Good STAB Combo, but not as much power as you'd like for a wallbreaker, even with Life Orb. It can't even reliably OHKO Megagross unless rocks are up, and can't do it at all if it doesn't have Life Orb. It's not even guaranteed to OHKO phys. defensive Lando at -1! It isn't guaranteed KOs on Lele, can't 2HKO Ferrothorn, can't OHKO Tangrowth and may not even be able to 2HKO it after giga drain takes most of Mamoswine's health. It's really underwhelming power-wise.

It's only real counters are Physically Defensive Skarmory, Celesteela, and M-Scizor, and these weaknesses are easily covered, and even Celesteela and Skarmory won't switch into Icicle Crash repeatedly. M-Scizor is really good but with Mega Metagross everywhere it's not especially common. Mega-Metagross kills it but never switches into an earthquake.

Lol M-Scizor is all over the place explicitly because of Megagross, because it's one of the few reliable checks to it. It can't reliable 2HKO Celesteela. It's basically checked by anything bulky that doesn't take SE hits from its attacks.

Meanwhile Heatran, Tangrowth, Zygarde, Toxapex, Ferrothorn (if you run Superpower) and Landorus are all really common and are severely damaged by either of its STABS.

Tangrowth can actually 1v1 it (Phys Defensive or AV), Toxapex isn't one hit and can get the burn off with scald, simultaneously taking half its health. Ferro walls none-superpower variants and since you have to choose from freeze dry, ice shard, and SR you often can't afford to run superpower. Heatran, Zygarde, and Lando are 4x weaknesses ofc and will never stay in on it.

& while it's not exactly bulky or fast, it's speed and HP stats are decent to work with. A jolly max speed Mamoswine outspeeds a lot of common Landorus spreads for example.

It's pretty weak. Most offensive mons will 2HKO it with neutral STAB, and any SE hits will take a shitton off it. It finds it really difficult to switch in and get an attack off, and it's a subpar SRer for that reason, unless you want to do a suicide lead.

IMO it just seems a lot better than Kyurem as an ice-type wallbreaker, with more utility thanks to Stealth Rock, and more or less on par in terms of viability with things like Bisharp and Tyranitar. Thought it was worth discussing because I feel like I keep on getting screwed by it, although that could just be because I'm a bad player

Kyurem has a lot more power as well as more options with Sub and mixed sets.
Overall I think it's fine where it is. It can do well in its job, but having weak defenses holds it back from being a great wallbreaker.

Overall I think it's fine where it is. It can do well in its job, but having weak defenses holds it back from being a great wallbreaker.
Is it not the typing that makes it weak to hits? On the physical side 110 base HP and 80 base defense isn't bad at all. That's pretty solid for an offensive mon. The typing and 60 base special defense is what hurts it.

Is it not the typing that makes it weak to hits? On the physical side 110 base HP and 80 base defense isn't bad at all. That's pretty solid for an offensive mon. The typing and 60 base special defense is what hurts it.
It has to do with the really bad typing it has. Ice/Ground really isn't the best thing defensively. Although, offensively I do think it can cause problems. I made a team and then faced a Mamoswine... realizing it breaks my face open all on its own. Have to sack a mon just to kill it. lol. So if you are unprepared for it, Mamo can destroy teams. Don't sleep on the guy.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Offensive mons don't need great defenses. What holds Mamo back the most is speed by far. If you took 20 def -> speed it would be a huge threat dude.

Yeah pretty neutral on Mamo, i feel like what you guys are saying isnt totally wrong as it doesnt offer that much defensive synergy to bulky offense teams (which mons like Keldeo and Landorus-T do, while still maintaining offensive prowess). I do find it a little difficult to put it too far above mons like Nidoking which are similarly threatening to Lando/Tang/Steel cores, so B might be fine atm

Offensive mons don't need great defenses. What holds Mamo back the most is speed by far. If you took 20 def -> speed it would be a huge threat dude.

Yeah pretty neutral on Mamo, i feel like what you guys are saying isnt totally wrong as it doesnt offer that much defensive synergy to bulky offense teams (which mons like Keldeo and Landorus-T do, while still maintaining offensive prowess). I do find it a little difficult to put it too far above mons like Nidoking which are similarly threatening to Lando/Tang/Steel cores, so B might be fine atm
I meant more in a sense as a wallbreaker, bulk would really help it out so it could take a few hits and maybe switch in safely while it does its job. Speed would too but speed would help any mon ofc.

It's a mixture of both really.

While 110 HP is pretty good 80 defense is pretty lackluster, especially uninvested and it's special defense is so low the HP doesn't really make up for it that well. It isn't taking any super effective hits particularly well, and with 5 weaknesses it faces that problem quite often. And it isn't like Hydreigon or Zapdos who have reliable recovery so if they do get weakened they can keep on fighting, no, once mamo gets hit with stealth rock, or a hidden power or just get damaged in general it's lost that health permanently, life orb just makes it worst.

And while it isn't particularly bad for an offensive mon it's less then ideal for one with only 80 base speed.

Buzzwole is te new mega gallade(started A+ in oras, ended in C+) if pheromosa get banned some things will change anda The future introduction of mega lop will help it too, but right now there's no reason to use a 2 turn move based on predict when you can kill a mon per turn with mosa.

I don't want this post to be useless so i will nom pyukumunku to C+ again, i posted about it two uptades ago, nothig really changed, but it's really unfair to have this usefull stall mon ranked along ir below trash like torkoal, hydriegon, diggersby, blissey(wich only beats Manaphy, a mon dropping in viabiltiy that is beaten by pyukumunku too, and doesn't take your blob slot in stall) besides beating most set-up sweepers(including z-movers) you can have a win con passing curse to sab or skarmory(set up curse when your enemy have bulu as a stallbreaker is nice since you can BP to skarmory that will survive even a +2 AOP, and remove his chance against you) a-marowak rise is also in his favor since nothing else in stall likes to face this(clefable is 2KO'ed, quagsire hates burns, and shedinja needs a lot of prior damage to revange kill it).
Ps: is extremely weird to have clefable above chansey as a stall mon.

Edit: i agree with alomomola rising, i guess is the only mon that can switch fearless in both greninjas(avoid battle bond to activate) bar chansey(stall only) and gastrodon(shitty answer because it only takes 1 flinch to screw everything), the fish have chances against lando-t, metagross and some pheromosas, also wish passing is very apreciated by balanced mons like magearna, lando-t and coil zygarde

Last edited:
Buzzwole is te new mega gallade(started A+ in oras, ended in C+) if pheromosa get banned some things will change anda The future introduction of mega lop will help it too, but right now there's no reason to use a 2 turn move based on predict when you can kill a mon per turn with mosa.

I don't want this post to be useless so i will nom pyukumunku to C+ again, i posted about it two uptades ago, nothig really changed, but it's really unfair to have this usefull stall mon ranked along ir below trash like torkoal, hydriegon, diggersby, blissey(wich only beats Manaphy, a mon dropping in viabiltiy that is beaten by pyukumunku too, and doesn't take your blob slot in stall) besides beating most set-up sweepers(including z-movers) you can have a win con passing curse to sab or skarmory(set up curse when your enemy have bulu as a stallbreaker is nice since you can BP to skarmory that will survive even a +2 AOP, and remove his chance against you) a-marowak rise is also in his favor since nothing else in stall likes to face this(clefable is 2KO'ed, quagsire hates burns, and shedinja needs a lot of prior damage to revange kill it).
Ps: is extremely weird to have clefable above chansey as a stall mon.

Edit: i agree with alomomola rising, i guess is the only mon that can switch fearless in both greninjas(avoid battle bond to activate) bar chansey(stall only) and gastrodon(shitty answer because it only takes 1 flinch to screw everything), the fish have chances against lando-t, metagross and some pheromosas, also wish passing is very apreciated by balanced mons like magearna, lando-t and coil zygarde
Hydreigon isn't trash right now. Only Fini, Clef, and Chansey switches in effectively on LO 3 Atk + Roost. Hydreigon gets free switches against locked Gengar, A-Marow, Ferrothorn, Pex, Skarm, locked Gren and many others. It teams well with MegaGross. With Phero out its viability will go up. Pyukumuku's biggest problem is Taunt makes it worthless since it has no attacking moves except Counter. I like Pyuk, but even on Stall it doesn't really do much compared to other mons Stall can run.

Hydreigon isn't trash right now. Only Fini, Clef, and Chansey switches in effectively on LO 3 Atk + Roost. Hydreigon gets free switches against locked Gengar, A-Marow, Ferrothorn, Pex, Skarm, locked Gren and many others. It teams well with MegaGross. With Phero out its viability will go up. Pyukumuku's biggest problem is Taunt makes it worthless since it has no attacking moves except Counter. I like Pyuk, but even on Stall it doesn't really do much compared to other mons Stall can run.
My biggest problem with hydriegon is that hoopa-u can perform a very simillar role, being able to get the KO's/2KO's in a easier way(beating fini, chansey and clef too), doesn't have to rely on prediction to much since specs dark pulse hits everything fucking hard and while he lacks a good defensive typing he have a nice sp.def that allows you to switch in things like pex and instant treat the enemy, being a switch to a-marowak is awesome i admit, but that means you have to run roost+LO and then you failed to 2KO pex, and i really hate miss a prediction and throw a draco meteor on a metagross. Taunt is deadly agaist pyukumunku, and this is the reason he is only viable in stall, where his teammates can take care of the taunter, and he only competes with clefable, quagsire and shedinja for a teamslot(maybe mantine?) and i think he is at least on quagsire level of viability.

I can second this.

There is honestly so much Hydra hate right now it isn't even funny, it can beat some of the most popular mons right now with it's LO 3 Attacks+Roost set, having it as low as C- when it cleanly OHKO's stuff like Landerous, Mega Metagross and Mega Scizor (Draco,Dark Pulse,Fire Blast) is simply unfair.

And the main problem with Pyukumuku is that it's probably as passive as passive gets, it can't throw out a scald, or an ice beam, the most it can do is sit there and pray that the opponent is stupid enough to let something get toxic'ed. Speaking of toxic, this mon hates it, unless it has purify it's on a timer and it's basically dead weight the instant it's posioned because after about 4+ turns the damage racks up to the point to where it can't do it's job.

Oh yah, also struggling every time you get taunted is a huge downside, haven't seen a mon hate taunt this much since shuckle.

My biggest problem with hydriegon is that hoopa-u can perform a very simillar role, being able to get the KO's/2KO's in a easier way(beating fini, chansey and clef too), doesn't have to rely on prediction to much since specs dark pulse hits everything fucking hard and while he lacks a good defensive typing he have a nice sp.def that allows you to switch in things like pex and instant treat the enemy, being a switch to a-marowak is awesome i admit, but that means you have to run roost+LO and then you failed to 2KO pex, and i really hate miss a prediction and throw a draco meteor on a metagross. Taunt is deadly agaist pyukumunku, and this is the reason he is only viable in stall, where his teammates can take care of the taunter, and he only competes with clefable, quagsire and shedinja for a teamslot(maybe mantine?) and i think he is at least on quagsire level of viability.
Well of course Hoopa is better than Hydreigon. That isn't much of a debate. However, Hydreigon is a Ground Immunity, is bulkier, and is a Ghost resist which is sorely lacking on every team. Hoopa is none of those things. Hoopa is usually locked into something as well and easy to revenge kill due to that. It also falls over to Ash Gren while Hydreigon resists both STABs. Thing is that Hydreigon has a good niche while Hoopa is just more easily spamable. Hydreigon may not be as good, but it most certainly is not trash.

As for Pyuk... The problem is that Clef, Quag, and Shedinja are all better. Clef can wish pass and is a Fairy Type. Quag isn't as passive and can get burns and has EQ, and Shed has Wonder Guard. Pyukumuku can only poison things and BP out. It just has less versatility. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)