SM RU Simple Questions, Simple Answers

The ru-tiering info seems a bit out of date, I was looking for information on the mega absol ban and found that it doesn't list anything on why or when mega absol, sharpedo and reuniclus were banned. Could the thread be updated?

How do you pressure opposing spinners/defoggers for web teams? Also, which is the best web setter. I know that ribombee is the fastest, but does that mean it is the best?

Speaking of which, what pokemon do well on web teams? I've heard that there are lots of bad web teams and I want to avoid this.

How do you pressure opposing spinners/defoggers for web teams? Also, which is the best web setter. I know that ribombee is the fastest, but does that mean it is the best?

Speaking of which, what pokemon do well on web teams? I've heard that there are lots of bad web teams and I want to avoid this.
First: Ribombee is the best Webs user, Web QD/HP Ground (since it allows you to threaten Sala) STABs can pressure virtually any hazard control in the tier (and its faster than Espeon).
Mons that fit are: Nidoqueen or Necrozma are the best rockers (Specially biased Necrozma with Knock and Twisted Spoon preferenciably) as they can pressure most hazard control in the tier, you can try something like Offensive Milotic if you wanna abuse Defog. All Webs teams imo should have Honchkrow. DD/SD Feraligatr and Kommo-o are nice Webs abusers, so is SD Necrozma. Mismagius should be able to do well against pretty much any Defog user if you wanna try that and can work as a spinblocker (just be careful with it), in general strong slow Pokemon are great wallbreakers for Webs, just make sure you're not 6-0ed by faster airbourne Pokemon like Swellow, Flygon and (mainly) Sigilyph.

Last edited:

Senpai D.M

さようなら
is a Tiering Contributor
Araquanid is worth a mention for a bulkier approach and personally overall better at setting up webs and managing to keep them up in the long run where ribombee dies off alot quicker making it more difficult to even make sure you get webs for remainder of match.

MrAldo

Bird Enthusiast
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Basically Slowbro basically has way too much competition and doesnt manage to stand out as a psychic or water-type compared to its competition. It is just not threatening in the long run as a bulky calm mind user compared to even Cresselia, and doesnt offer the defensive safety that a Pokemon like Milotic offers thanks to Refresh and not being as vulnerable to Toxic. Even Slowking is far more useful since it still has an assault vest that can soft check plenty of special attackers while making better use of its typing to sponge special attacks.

In the end it isnt good, and doesnt offer much to a team to bother using it unfortunately.

Basically Slowbro basically has way too much competition and doesnt manage to stand out as a psychic or water-type compared to its competition. It is just not threatening in the long run as a bulky calm mind user compared to even Cresselia, and doesnt offer the defensive safety that a Pokemon like Milotic offers thanks to Refresh and not being as vulnerable to Toxic. Even Slowking is far more useful since it still has an assault vest that can soft check plenty of special attackers while making better use of its typing to sponge special attacks.

In the end it isnt good, and doesnt offer much to a team to bother using it unfortunately.
Never in my life I ever thought that I would see people saying that Slowking is now better than Slowbro. Oh how the Cycles twist and turn.

what is the best t spiker?
Personally I'd say Roserade - it's quite fast, hits really hard and most of the tiers spinners and Defoggers (bar Rotom-H, which still won't enjoy taking a Sludge Bomb) don't want to switch into it.

Is Special Kommo-O still viable? I know Dragon Dance is likely its best set now, but are its old Special sets still worth using, and if so why?

I'd imagine special sets are still just as effective as they used to be; Specs is still a quite solid breaker with high immediate power, and Autotomize is still a decent wincon that isn't quite as easily revenged as Dragon Dance at the cost of lower overall power. Offensive Rocks Kommo-o also usually is specially biased (Clanging Scales / Flamethrower / Close Combat as its attacks) in order to more easily threaten common hazard clearers and provide the best coverage. Of course, this all comes at the opportunity cost of not using the fearsome sweeper that is Dragon Dance Kommo-o.

what caused almost all the grass types bar like chesnaught to move down 1 or more viability ranks between SM and USUM?
Overall it was because of rise of a few grass-resistant mons, namely kommo, moltres, yanmega, durant, and sigilyph, but its also because Chesnaught and Roserade were both really influential because of Spikes mainly, and those aren't as good now that we actually have defoggers.

Abomasnow was always overrated imo but it fell for pretty much the same reasons + mons like feraligatr often carry superpower now which can deal with it.

Decidueye was really good because he was a really scary balance breaker for his ability to set up (with sub and sd) for free on registeel assuming it gets in without getting toxiced, and since registeel dropped in viability decidueye's viability also dropped. then there's factors like SD necrozma being a better balance as well as stallbreaker so it kinda outclasses decidueye in that regard.