SM UU Simple Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard it's early August. As for Mega Aero + TG Xurk... I'd say some VoltTurn support of some kind, like CB Scizor. Both do appreciate pivoting and imo for Xurk it's required. I'd also say a fast special mon like Latias. Finally, both hazard setting and hazard control (pls don't use defog latias), maybe Nidoking and Starmie, respectively.
With all due respect, I don't like the way you discouraged the use of Defog Latias. Defog is actually a really useful move to have on Latias, and while not always super optimal on cm sets, it can definitely be fitted in and is also almost always used on Scarf and Support sets. With Defog, Latias is one of the tier's best hazard removers since it forces switches so easily, which can result in reliable removal. It's also just a bad idea to pair Starmie alongside Latias. Together, the two stack a serious weakness to Pursuit and to threats like Scarf Krookodile, Weavile, etc. and this isn't optimal considering the prevalence of these mons. Overall, Defog Latias is among one of the best removers in the tier, and I really don't know why you think that it shouldn't be used.

i used to think i sort of knew my way around sumo uu
then 2 months passed, 15 mons dropped and now i'm at where i started
with that being said, i would like to build a rain team around mega swampert, but frankly, i don't know where to start.
for example, what would be some good rain setters? what mons synergize well with mega swampert? what checks rain? what are key components to a good rain team? are hazards necessary?
i figured the simple questions thread would make be a good place to start seeing as i have only the slightest idea of what i'm doing
thanks in advance :)

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
full rain is definitely an interesting pick in the meta albeit being, unsurprisingly, very match-up dependent. tbh not much has changed for team structure on rain, it still functions best as an hyper offensive playstyle. the best setters available are either the prankster users, tornadus and klefki, or uxie which as a lead can also provide you with rocks. tornadus supports rain teams with utility such as taunt and knock off (as well as supporting itself with 100% accurate hurricanes), whereas klefki offers hazard stack options and status spreading. rain still tries to pressure opposing teams by breaking through their supposed checks so that another sweeper can clean up later on (double swift swim etc); the basic concept on overloading checks/counters still applies. as for abusers your best bets are probably mega pert and kingdra, although kaputops is a good option as well being able to boost its atk with sd on a predicted switch, and ludicolo might also be worth it (being a check to opposing m-pert actually seems valuable!). other abusers that profit from rain include strong water types like volcanion and primarina, offensive steel types that appreciate the reduced fire damage, and electric types that can make use of the strong thunder without having to worry about its miserable accuracy.

anyway, despite rain being able to overwhelm checks, it also has trouble breaking through some common defensive staples in uu. for grasses, celebi and amoonguss can annoy rain quite a bit being able to pivot into attacks and recovering the damage, while bulky waters like empoleon, suicune and even slowbro can take on the rain sweepers. additionally, mantine is on the rise being a great counter to mega swampert while also taking on kingdra. mega swampert is also pretty common outside of full rain and since most rain builds arent exactly bulky, it might be able to counter sweep given the right circumstances so be careful of that. another issue is the popularity of ninetales-a and the aurora veil support it provides. sure you will be able to overwrite the hail with your setters but instant weather abilities may very well cut your sweep under rain short. fortunately though, sand and sun are not common at all atm.

also, rumour has it that uu will lose m-swampert come the next tier shift (which is in a couple of days) and losing its arguably best abuser would definitely hurt rain as a playstyle a lot so this might not be the optimal time to focus on building a full rain team. on the other hand, might as well use it as long its still available!

heres a team that i threw together in a couple of mins. it should do ok but dont expect too much from it. feel free to adjust it to your liking!
Uxie @ Damp Rock
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Psychic/Memento/Yawn

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Power-Up Punch

Tornadus (M) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off/Superpower
- Taunt
- Rain Dance

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Surf

Xurkitree @ Electrium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Tail Glow/Electric Terrain

Volcanion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave/Sleep Talk
- Hidden Power [Electric]

last slot is pretty flexible tbh could even fit sth like scizor or weavile here
shuca volc is just a safety net should other pert get out of hand

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
Now that mega swampert and pelipper are back to ou, will it be considered, even not immediately, the possibility to unban drizzle?

sparrow

kacaw
Now that mega swampert and pelipper are back to ou, will it be considered, even not immediately, the possibility to unban drizzle?
drizzle has been banned long before m-pert. simply put, drizzle toed + rain sweepers are too much for the tier. for example, toed can run specs and wall break for faster rain sweepers such as kabutops, kingdra, ludicolo even qwilfish. in short, drizzle + swift swim is too much for the uu meta.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
What does the standard UU stall team look like atm?
I can't say for sure because I don't do stall, but I think Blissey, Quagsire, Hippowdon are there. Don't know the others tbh tho I heard Mega Lix is present.
Stall in general is not as good as offense in this meta, because there's a shit ton of prep for and Z move lures can more viably be run in this meta to take out a common wall.

I can't say for sure because I don't do stall, but I think Blissey, Quagsire, Hippowdon are there. Don't know the others tbh tho I heard Mega Lix is present.
Stall in general is not as good as offense in this meta, because there's a shit ton of prep for and Z move lures can more viably be run in this meta to take out a common wall.
Yeah people do prep a lot for it. Which is why i was asking. To help me prep for it. Having an idea of 4 mons should help me. Thanks!

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
What does the standard UU stall team look like atm?

Here's a couple:
  • http://pokepast.es/60ae62965191f149 - a good stall team that has some weakness to Crawdaunt (hence Z-Haze Tentacruel), SD Ice Fang Gliscor. Also it has to use a suboptimal Blissey set (no Toxic) but the floating targets Toxic hits like Latias and Chandelure get in trouble with the Pursuit users. Overall its a good stall team that covers basically the entire metagame. Also it might be more of a semi-stall team depending on your typology
  • http://pokepast.es/e404c1b2c8edffc8 - another good stall team with the same Alo-Bliss but overall very different. It uses Defog instead of Spin so its somewhat less weak to spikes stacking in that sense. It's weaker to Cobalion and Terrakion and doesn't have Toxic Spikes but has some overall better bulk

quick question, in the forums, where would i put my decidueye set to get other peoples opinions on it? i would go to RMT but the rules says i need to post a full team in detail.

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
Hello. I would be interested in hearing some of the UU Council's thoughts on a possible Scolipede resuspect test, with the primary reason of retesting being the Baton Pass ban.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello. I would be interested in hearing some of the UU Council's thoughts on a possible Scolipede resuspect test, with the primary reason of retesting being the Baton Pass ban.
I'm not a council member, but I'd just like to inform you that Scolipede was banned AFTER baton pass was banned, completely on its own merit as a Swords Dance sweeper.

Last edited:
1. My team has trouble dealing with Blissey&Lax, so I was thinking of using Psyshock on my CM Latias. What important KO's would I miss out on if I swapped Psychic for Psyshock?

2. Is Grass Knot Infernape still a thing?

sparrow

kacaw
1. My team has trouble dealing with Blissey&Lax, so I was thinking of using Psyshock on my CM Latias. What important KO's would I miss out on if I swapped Psychic for Psyshock?

2. Is Grass Knot Infernape still a thing?
Hi, the analysis gives an apt explanation as to the pros and cons of running either Psychic or Psyshock, take a look:
"Psychic lets Latias hit Pokemon like Hippowdon, Gliscor, Cobalion, and Volcanion hard without dropping its Special Attack. Psyshock is also an option to hit most Fairy-types slightly harder and beat certain Calm Mind users like Raikou, but is generally inferior due to its lower damage output on most of the tier."
I recommend you have a look over the analysis for further information regarding Latias.

In regard to Grass Knot on Infernape, it cetainly is a thing, it can run either a mixed offensive set with Close Combat, Fire Blast, Grass Knot & Gunk Shot in order to threaten bulkier builds or it can run a boosting set. I personally prefer to run a Nasty Plot set with access to Vacuum Wave to hit important Pokemon such as Weavile, Crawdaunt & Sharpedo. Once again, please have a look at the analysis for further insight.

Hello UU! I don't really play this tier as much as I'd wish to, but I got curious why are Darmanitan and Arcanine blacklisted on the VR? What makes 'em so bad this gen? I'm pretty sure they had some relevance in gen 6, didnt they?

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Hello UU! I don't really play this tier as much as I'd wish to, but I got curious why are Darmanitan and Arcanine blacklisted on the VR? What makes 'em so bad this gen? I'm pretty sure they had some relevance in gen 6, didnt they?
Darmanitan was blacklisted since people kept proposing a Darmanitan rise (C -> B-/C+ iirc, after Darmanitan rose from C- -> C) even though the head of the VR at the time specifically mentioned that Darmanitan will not be rising any more. tl;dr, people kept bringing up a Darmanitan rise even though it was said that it will not be rising anymore. Darmanitan isn't necessarily a terrible mon, it is just held back by the fact that it gets worn down very fast (recoil + rocks) and its speed tier is pretty mediocre considering how fast pace the meta is now with the new drops.

Arcanine is "blacklisted" since it is a UU mon that dropped to D-rank, and discussion of D ranked mons is not allowed on the VR thread. Anyways, Arcanine is pretty bad since a Fire-type wall just simply isn't needed right now. While it is able to combat the surge of Steel-types, Infernape, Scizor, and Weavile, a bulky Water-type such as Mantine or Alomomola can also combat them while providing utility such as Defog or Wish. The main niche Arcanine has is just its access to Will-O-Wisp. Offensive variants of Arcanine are outclassed by Infernape (better Speed and versatility), Entei (hits hard with Sacred Fire which does not cause recoil), and even Darmanitan which hits way harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)