1. Our third apparel sale is live. New design + reprint of the athletic design. Support us and get a shirt!
  2. Watch our World Cup of Pokemon Post-R1 Smogcast with some of Smogon's top players!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  4. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Small Subjective Changes - Controversial Edits

Discussion in 'SM Analyses' started by Oglemi, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Oglemi

Oglemi oh my gosh you found me
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Secret Boss Mod

Post small subjective changes in this thread. This thread is for subjective changes only. If you find an error that is syntactical, grammatical, typographical, orthographical, or technical please use the Small Changes thread

Subjective changes includes:
    • Removing excess move options from a move set.
    • Small additions to a move set.
    • A change in an EV Spread.
    • Any small additions or revisions to Other Options or Counters.
    • Any small change that is subjective in nature, but is too trivial to go in a peer edit.

Notice: To those with SCMS access, you do not need to post here. Simply make the change yourself directly and provide your reasoning in the "Edit Reason" box. If you make a change suggested by another user on the SCMS, please list your reasoning as "Small Changes Thread" so one of us can come and delete the appropriate posts.

Couple each post with a link to the relevant analysis or article you are requesting a change in. Most importantly, if you are suggesting something - back it up with reasoning. It doesn't help us to know that you think Farfetch'd should run 220 HP EVs; what helps us is knowing why you think Farfetch'd should run 220 HP EVs.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  2. Darkamber8828

Darkamber8828

3. Colonel M

Colonel M "Stealth Rocks" is a bannable offense
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

I'll look into these today, though the latter could probably wait until full write-ups come in.

EDIT: To comment on the first error, it was due to a weird coding malfunction of sorts. It should be fixed.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  4. MattL

MattL I have discovered a truly remarkable CT which this box is t-
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

http://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/greninja/

There are no mentions about how the opponent does not know whether it's Protean or Ash when it's first sent out and how this can be taken advantage of. Whether this should be in Overview or Usage tips is up to discretion, but it's important to mention that the threat of it being Ash-Greninja and letting it transform makes the opponent's play slightly more predictable.

Also, Ash-Greninja must be male, so Protean Greninja should always be male since an observant player could notice that a Greninja is female and therefore Protean. This can probably be added in the Overview, and it should be added because revealing Greninja's ability before it attacks decreases its effectiveness.
    Virizain likes this.
  5. sumwun

sumwun

http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/ev_manual
    Add this to the Platinum EV training locations.
    HP: Shellos and Gastrodon by surfing at Route 205 south, Idol Grace in Pokemon centers (Clefairy)
    Physical Attack: Gyarados and Seaking by super rod at Twinleaf Town, Eterna City, and Celestic Town, Guitarist Arturo in Pokemon centers (Kricketune)
    Special Attack: Golduck and Psyduck by surfing at Resort Area, Interviewers Roxi and Olie at Pokemon centers (Gardevoir and Magnezone)
    Special Defense: Tentacruel and Mantyke by surfing at Route 223
    Speed: Poke Kid Ariel at Pokemon centers (Pikachu and Raichu)
    http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/emerald_ev_manual
    Add this to the EV training locations.
    Physical Attack: Carvanha and Sharpedo by super rod at Route 118
    Speed: Smeargle by walking in cave at Artisan Cave, Golbat by surfing at Victory Road B2F
    http://www.smogon.com/ingame/misc/evs_ivs
    Add this to the RSE EV training locations.
    HP: Ditto, Whismur, Loudred by walking at Desert Underpass, Barboach and Whiscash by super rod at Meteor Falls 1F2R
    Physical Attack: Carvanha and Sharpedo by super rod at Route 118
    Physical defense: Geodude, Graveler, Torkoal at Magma Hideout (Emerald only)
    Speed: Golbat by surfing at Victory Road
  6. sumwun

sumwun

I know I'm wasting my time debating which Pokemon are better for playthroughs, but for some reason it bothers me to see stuff I think is wrong.
    http://www.smogon.com/ingame/misc/dpp_ingametiers
    http://www.smogon.com/ingame/misc/dpp_plat_ingametiers
    In both of them, I want Sneasel to move up to middle tier. Weavile has very good offensive stats, and can get STAB night slash by level up and STAB ice punch by move tutor (though maybe not DP). Froslass is in the middle tier, and I see no reason why Weavile is worse than Froslass.
    I want Tropius to be moved to middle tier in the Platinum page simply because it's such a good HM slave. For some reason, the page says it's "Available too late" despite the fact that you only need three gym badges to get it. Additionally, it was high tier on the RSE tiers, and I don't think it's different in Platinum. If someone does make this change, he/she should also change Budew's description, as it currently says, "outside of Turtwig, it is the best grass-type".
    http://www.smogon.com/ingame/misc/adv_rse_ingametiers
    I want Zigzagoon and Wingull moved to middle tier. Their stats prevent them from being very useful. Zigzagoon is further hindered by the fact that it only has one STAB type, and Wingull is by the fact that it doesn't get any good flying STAB attacks.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  7. Karxrida

Karxrida Paragon Knight
    is a Community Contributor

This probably needs a dedicated discussion in Orange Islands, as that's where in-game tier stuff is ironed out and the changes you are requesting are significant. Contact one of the OI mods and ask if you can start a thread.

(I wanted to change RSE stuff too. For example, Feebas is way too much of a pain to get and evolve, and needs to drop a tier.)
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  8. Demoness

Demoness

http://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/mienshao/

S
    o, on Mienshao's Choice Scarf set (and it's only set), It has a slash after Stone Edge for Poison Jab. I'll just be blunt and say that it sounds like one of the worst things to lock yourself into using (aside from Hidden Power Ice or something silly like that). It only reasonably hits Primarina and Togekiss, but doesn't even OHKO either, and Togekiss has recovery, so it has less of a chance of Primarina to be in kill range of Poison Jab

252 Atk Mienshao Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 178-210 (47.5 - 56.1%) -- 22.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Mienshao Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Primarina: 216-256 (71.7 - 85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Also, what does it do to Clefable?

252 Atk Mienshao Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 150-178 (38 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Thats just simply not worth it when you consider that UU has shit like Mega-Aerodactyl, Bisharp, Terrakion, Scizor,and really, almost anything that can take an unboosted, 80 power Poison-type move. Stone Edge isn't really that much better, but it at least allows Mienshao to kill things like Venomoth and Talonflame, which are both fairly threatening, fast Pokemon that it's nice to be able to revenge kill.

To sum up, deslash Poison Jab from Mienshao's Choice Scarf set and give it an Other Options mention if you really need to.
  9. pokeisfun

pokeisfun formerly hilarious
    is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

A few changes should be made for Mew's Gen 7 UU Nasty Plot analysis:
    • Dazzling Gleam does not get a super effective hit on Bisharp as the set details imply; replacing that mention with Krookodile is probably a good idea
    • Giga Drain does not give pseudo recovery, probably what was meant was semi-reliable recovery or something like that
    • And since the only Unaware user Giga Drain can break is Quagsire, that bullet point should read something like "...break past Unaware Quagsire in addition..."
    • Since Necrozma is not UU, maybe replace the mention of it being a Shadow Ball target with Azelf or Latias
    • In the bullet starting with Dazzling Gleam, no comma needed after Bisharp (which again should be replaced)

I hope I was helpful!
  10. Stan Soojung

Stan Soojung

11. GMars

GMars It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
    is a Contributor to Smogon

http://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/medicham/

Medicham's pre-Mega Evolution ability should be Telepathy - it prevents ability thiefs like Ditto from profiting off of pre-Mega Medicham. Since it Mega Evolves 100% of the time before attacking, not having Pure Power in its non-mega form does not harm it.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)