1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Smash your face

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by tintinwong, Nov 28, 2012.

1. tintinwong

tintinwong

Smash your Face?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I am not sure why did i name my team that but okay. whatever. I am fairly sure it has been a while since i posted my last RMT so yeah. This team is pretty cool IMO, and netted me quite some wins. Also, this team is so close to being all blue, but Ferrothorn ruined the fun. Yes, the introduction paragraph is that short.

[​IMG]
    Politoed (M) @Leftovers
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Protect
    - Perish Song
    - Toxic

My weather setter. It used to be scarfed, but after genesect got banned, i removed the scarf and gave it to my genesect replacement, that is terrakion, to still have my dual scarfer status, but this time, i will have a physical attacker and a special attacker.
    Politoed has not much to show off, just maybe the toxic and perish song to force some switches to get my sweepers a free switch in.

[​IMG]
    Cloyster (M) @ White Herb
    Trait: Skill Link
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Shell Smash
    - Icicle Spear
    - Rock Blast
    - Hydro Pump

This guy is my main sweeper. After a single shell smash, this guy is insanely powerful, having the ability to OHKO almost half the tier, and so almost nothing is a safe switch in to this guy.
    A few threats to this guy that i know of would be a bulky rotom-w and techniloom, having to ability to at least get off a 70% on my cloyster.
    Icicle spear and rock blast takes advantage of its skill link ability, and fires off attacks of insane damage, 2HKOing even a 252/252 Deoxys-D. Powerful.
    Hydro pumps is for the physically defensive pokemons attempting to get in my way to stop the sweeps, but nope. Hydro pump. There are a few that can get away with it easily, but will get damaged enough to probably get revenge killed.

[​IMG]
    Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Thunder
    - Water Pulse
    - Substitute
    - Calm Mind

Replacing Amoonguss is a Pseudo-Special Wall. SubCM Jirachi. In the rain, thunder gets 100% accuracy and water pulse gets a 1.5x boost, so why not?
    Set up Substitute and Calm minds upon a set up fodder, and proceed to Parafusion everything possible. It works well in the rain as it also gets its fire weakness removed.

[​IMG]
    Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Thunder Wave
    - Power Whip
    - Spikes

Now we have ferrothorn back, with a different set. Stealth Rocks and Spikes can really help the team quite a lot as people tend to switch out in fear when a few threats come in, and it also netts a few OKHOs for my cloyster. T-Wave helps a great bunch too, as it slows quite a lot of things down to the point where even my cloyster can outspeed it at +0 lol.

[​IMG]
    Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - X-Scissor
    - Rock Slide

Genesect is now in Ubers, where it can reach its full potential with those "slow" dragons and psychics flying and floating out there.
    Replacing it, we have Scarf Terrakion, which replaces Genesect's clean up sweeper role along with Latios, but now we have both a physical attacker and a special attacker, both of which are very strong, so all is good.
    Terrakion, although given the role of a clean up sweeper, tends to appear mid game to threaten stuff out of the way, or revenge kill, which is pretty cool.

[​IMG]
    Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Draco Meteor
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Psyshock
    - Surf

Latios's role is basically the same as terrakions, so you can read its description for info about Latios.
  2. Eranu

Eranu

Hey, cool team.

Your team has a big weakness to Tornadus-T. It can just spam Hurricanes and KO (or 2HKO on Ferrothorn) a member each time it does. A solution could be changing Ferrothorn > Specially Defensive Skarmory. Skarmory can still lay down hazards to support Cloyster, while solving your Tornadus Weakness. Most of the other jobs Ferrothorn does, like taking water moves or Volt Switches, can be done perfectly well by Amoongus. I suggested a special set, because a Life Orb Tornadus-T otherwise still 2hko's you with Focus Blast, while it now does less than 50% allowing you to Roost up and wait for the miss giving you another opportunity to lay down Spikes/Stealth Rocks, depending on the one you like Skarmory to carry. Next up, I'd like to suggest you changing Sludge Bomb > Hidden Power [Ice] on Amoongus. Seeing how Latios and Politoed can only revenge it if they're at over 70% health, being able to take it out with something else seems like a must. Hidden Power [Ice] on Amoongus helps you deal with Landorus as it does around 70%. with your spread on Amoongus, you're able to live two Earth Powers most of the time, giving you the ability to 2hko it. If you do get 2hko'd you can revenge kill it with Brave Bird on Skarmory, since it's specially defensive it will most take a Focus Blast if your at more than half HP. Hope I helped. Good luck.

Set:

Show Hide
    Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 248 HP / 248 SDef / 12 Spd
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Brave Bird
    - Stealth Rock
    - Roost
    - Whirlwind
  3. Organization Member XIV

Organization Member XIV

Being that Amoongus is your special wall and Ferrothorn having a Curse set, I recommend you make your Politoed a dedicated physical wall with a spread of 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Speed with a moveset of Scald, Toxic, Encore/Ice Beam, and Perish Song. This set will allow you to have a dedicated physical wall who is able to burn and poison opponents. Ice Beam could be used for Dragons, while Encore stops set-up sweepers.
  4. Electrolyte

Electrolyte I could hear the sirens sound
    is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator
    Mentor

Hey

Your team really really hates all formes of hazards. Cloyster is severely crippled, Latios and Politoed will fall quickly, and Genesect won't be able to set up as often. For this reason, I think you should replace Ferrothorn with Defensive Forretress.

Forretress @ Leftovers
    Relaxed / 252 HP /252 Def / 4 SpD
    Rapid Spin / Stealth Rock / Gyro Ball / Spikes

Forretress is a great general support pokemon for your team. It spins, keeping annoying hazards away- and, it sets some nice hazards of it's own, which definitely helps Latios, Politoed, and Genesect sweep, as all three force switches like no tomorrow. Gyro Ball is a good STAB to use, and it hits opposing scarfers pretty hard.

As for your Latios, I'd run Hidden Power Fire instead of Dragon Pulse, being that opposing Genesect can do quite a lot of damage to you. On Amoonguss, Clear Smog will probably be more useful than Sludge Bomb, since it's a better way to handle Techniloom and other setup sweepers. Genesect should use an Expert Belt instead of LO, this will let you survive longer and it is a good way to conceal your set. Since your coverage is amazing, EB should boost you more than enough times.

awesome
  5. tintinwong

tintinwong

Looked through your suggestions. Tornadus-T weakness, no Flying resist and a lack of a spinner. Got that.

I decided to replace Amoonguss with Jirachi as it
    1. Counters tornadus-t
    2. Good in rain
    3. Spreads status as well as Amoonguss
    4. Resist them rocks

and Forretress over Ferrothorn as Electrolyte Suggested.

and Expert belt to Genesect.

Thanks guys.
  6. Jimbon

Jimbon FAKE TRAIN
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

hi there,

interesting team you got here, especially the use of cloyster who is one of the most potent sweepers in the current meta. but yeah, i noticed that you decided to go with the forretress suggestion, which imo really doesn't fit your team. forretress slows down all your momentum which really isn't ideal on an offensive team such as this, while it also seems like you will have a hard time switching it in. honestly, forretress really is not that good in this metagame, as it's 2hkod by most common moves, and with no special defense investment you lose the ability to check dragons such as lati@s well, which is important as your only other dragon resist can only switch in once or twice. it seems like you're relying a lot on forretress to get up hazards and spin, when in reality that's not gonna happen in most matches. if you are looking for a spinner, then i'd recommend starmie or tentacruel over forretress, mainly because both benefit from rain and aren't total set up fodder. starmie provides you with a fast spin while tentacruel checks terrakion just like forretress, but also provides you with some sort of buffer against genesect.

if you feel like this change doesn't work for your team, then i'd highly suggest you go back to your ferrothorn over forretress. spinning doesn't seem essential to your team, especially given that the only thing overly weak to hazards is cloyster, and will only be switching in once or twice, as usually it will either sweep or be straight up killed, either way a rapid spinner isn't 100% necessary. ferrothorn still gives you hazards, but you keep that second steel type too, while also being able to take on latios and other dragons in rain. a spread of 252 hp / 88 def / 168 sdef and a moveset of stealth rock / thunder wave / power whip / spikes or leech seed would be optimal, as you make it easier for cloyster + genesect to sweep with hazards plus thunder wave support.

if you still feel like you're overly weak to tornadus-t, then the easiest possible change would be to revert jirachi to a specially defensive set. between specially defensive jirachi + scarf politoed + scarf latios, you really won't have any problems with tornadus. standard 252 hp / 252 sdef could work, with a set of iron head / body slam / wish / filler. the filler could be u-turn, protect or even stealth rock meaning you open up a moveslot for ferrothorn to run another move. personally i like u-turn, as you can switch into tornadus-t, then u-turn out into one of your scarfers. you could also try thunder somewhere on that set to help vs keldeo and stuff, who also looks quite annoying. if you think you lose any offensive momentum by changing to a specially defensive set, then i think that offensive role is more than covered by your 2 scarfers + rp genesect, as well as u-turn on jirachi for initiative on the switch.

if you are using scarf politoed, then one of it's signature niches is that it can run a fast perish song. this is great for forcing out opposing enemy sweepers, especially calm mind latias and sub calm mind jirachi, both of which set up against many of your team members. this is great because it means you can switch in genesect and essentially grab a free rock polish as they have to switch, putting you in a great position to sweep. perish song would probably fit best over encore, mainly because with the ferrothorn change you lose your spinner, and being locked into encore just encourages you to switch more and more, racking up more hazard damage. perish song is just a great last ditch effort to stat boosters when your sweepers can't cut it.

good luck!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)