Smeargle Card Project

icepick

she brings the rain
is a Top Artist Alumnus
REBOOT!!

Let's get this done, Bummer and I are going to power through them so if you want to do something make a reservation quick

Reserve a card and a pokemon, draw it at 750x1050 pixels, 300 dpi
Available cards: NONE LEFT

Spades

2 - Scepticallistic - Umbreon
3 - bluehoundoom - Tauros
4 - justinjiaxinghu - Shiftry
5 - TheMutant - Liepard
6 - ZapDraws - Tyranitar
7 - Milun - Breloom
8 - Andrew - Scolipede
9 - Kadew - Azelf
10 - Energy Storm - Huntail
J - Cretacerus - Bastiodon
Q - Magistrum - Milotic
K - ToxicPhox - Honchkrow
A - icepick - Bulbasaur

Clubs

2 - Nastyjungle - Ambipom
3 - breh - Cacturne
4 - Magistrum - Crobat
5 - ium - Chespin
6 - Eagle4 - Sudowoodo
7 - bluehoundoom - Yveltal
8 - Andrew - Arbok
9 - Blue Frog - Politoed
10 - Bummer - Torterra
J - Kirbyofthestars - Cofagrigus
Q - aXl - Mega Banette
K - Volmise - Panpour
A - Champion Steve - Giratina O

Hearts

2 - ium - Zweilous
3 - Kirbyofthestars - Shuckle
4 - Bummer - Luvdisc
5 - TrainerSplash - Skitty
6 - defno16 - Smeargle
7 - Hollymon - Flareon
8 - frenzyplant - Reuniclus
9 - icepick - Alomomola
10 - Particular1 - Drifloon
J - bluehoundoom - Scrafty
Q - Yilx - Liligant
K - veiva - Ditto
A - SnowPeashooters - Altaria

Diamonds

2 - elcheeso - Sableye
3 - brightobject - Gigalith
4 - ReddHawk34 - Metapod
5 - RitterCat - Pikachu
6 - The Knights of Wario Land - Regigigas
7 - Twerkerella - Vivillion
8 - bluehoundoom - Skarmory
9 - SailorCosmos - Diancie
10 - Eagle4 - Oddish
J - ium - Garchomp
Q - SnowPeashooters - Meleotta - P
K - Justhavinfun - Kingdra
A - Infernis - Salamence

Big Joker - Furosuto - Mr. Mime
Small Joker - elcheeso - Mime Jr.
Back - Zracknel , studio logo

When we're done, we can have them printed. The best price I've found is artscow for $10, but if anyone else can find better prices or quality let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
This is awesome. I'll take the three of hearts.

Drawing Snover, for the record.

Aah; I would be glad to do this, but unfortunately, I wouldn't want to disappoint you guys for any reason, whether it be inability to upload the image or incorrect art style, image size/shape, etc. (would they just be standard playing card size?)

However, if I were to join, I would want to do Cofagrigus as the Jack (that doesn't mean I can join, though, especially since I'm rather busy).
If I were to make a card, how would you suggest I go about it? Specifically, should I paint it, merely draw it, or make a concept offline and enhance it on the computer?

breh

強いだね
Can I do the three of clubs?

EDIT: I swear to god if nobody does stunfisk as the small joker I will kill someone

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Dibs on 10 of clubs. Don't know what it'll be but I'll think of something.

Edit: I'll go for Torterra. Gonna steal ice's approach and shape it into a club.

Specifically, should I paint it, merely draw it, or make a concept offline and enhance it on the computer?
Most of the contributions will be probably be digital in nature, so I'd suggest going for a computer aided image. At this stage, we should allow all kinds of art, including MSPaint, since it's an open community project with 52 slots where we can hardly expect all participants to be skilled artists. If you DO end up drawing and scanning stuff, then please ink them as well, since we could probably make the image less smudgy and cleaner as long as the lineart is well distinguished from the paper.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i'm feeling four of spades, and I will totally chip in money if needed, got a paypal with $ lying around since i stopped cubing

I'm still unsure over:

• Font of the card's suit. I know we discussed this in IRC but I don't believe we came to a definite answer. Will a template be provided with the font, will the font be added on afterwards, I'm curious. As Birkal said, differing fonts aren't very good for a card player.
  • What goes on the back of the card. Is Zracknel going to do this, and if so, should we all come to an agreement on a certain picture or pattern for the back, or will you (icepick) choose what goes on the back?
  • Is there a quality check? As in, as I assume these cards are being sold, will some artwork be denied for having not enough quality? That would seem fair, since nobody wants to look at bad art on their playing cards.
  • Is their a set darkness for the background of the card art? What I mean by this is that it would look pretty weird seeing playing cards which are both dark and light. Your playing card, icepick, seems pretty dark, so should we follow that set darkness, or near enough to that set darkness?
Okay, that's all my queries. And because everybody else is pointing out which pokemon they're gonna draw, I'd like to join the bandwagon and say that I'm drawing a metapod :)

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is their a set darkness for the background of the card art? What I mean by this is that it would look pretty weird seeing playing cards which are both dark and light. Your playing card, icepick, seems pretty dark, so should we follow that set darkness, or near enough to that set darkness?
I have no strong opinion about whether the cards should be all dark or light or both, but I do believe we may need to follow a color scheme. Spades and clubs could have black and dark colors dominating the image (like ice's card), while heart and diamonds could follow a red (and possibly lighter) scheme. This could make for some issues with more inexperienced artists, since it's easier to just follow the colors of the chosen pokemon and then work yourself out from there. But while I wouldn't be upset if this deck would up end up with a huge variety in both appearance and color, I'd personally vote for keeping the deck restricted to two main color themes so that it's easy to determine what kind of card it is without necessarily looking at the corner.

I have no strong opinion about whether the cards should be all dark or light or both, but I do believe we may need to follow a color scheme. Spades and clubs could have black and dark colors dominating the image (like ice's card), while heart and diamonds could follow a red (and possibly lighter) scheme. This could make for some issues with more inexperienced artists, since it's easier to just follow the colors of the chosen pokemon and then work yourself out from there. But while I wouldn't be upset if this deck would up end up with a huge variety in both appearance and color, I'd personally vote for keeping the deck restricted to two main color themes so that it's easy to determine what kind of card it is without necessarily looking at the corner.
Seconded.

Also if some artists are really struggling with a colours, they could submit a finished piece to be re-coloured more suitably by gradient mapping etc. ?

Outside of what Bummer/Juicy said, I think the cards could probably be modified to have some sort of white (or whatever) border surrounding them so that they aren't too obviously red or black as well. Just in terms of making them not too obvious to other players or what have you... but maybe it won't be necessary. Who knows!

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
just to add, i would love to also contribute to this, but i haven't an idea which card i'll do. i'll think on it though, so count me in!!

eta: ooh maybe metagross as the king of diamonds? or regiice? IDK

eta2: although maybe the face cards should be trainers? NOPERS NVM DON'T LIKE THIS IDEA SO MUCH

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Not trying to manhandle this project or anything, but we had a great chat in #smeargle about this thread. We brainstormed that it might be a good idea to draw the cards without the symbols (A♤). Just the image of the Pokemon. Then, when we're all done, one person can come through and standardize them with borders, card numbers, and that kind of thing. The problem with all of us doing our own drawing of fonts and symbols is that it gets very difficult to read when you're looking at a large hand of cards. The site will standardize the cards for you if you like (example) but we in #smeargle thought that font was mad ugly and feel like we could do a much better job.

In shorter words, if people just draw the images, then one person can come through and make them all look the same at the end.

I'm still unsure over:
  • What goes on the back of the card. Is Zracknel going to do this, and if so, should we all come to an agreement on a certain picture or pattern for the back, or will you (icepick) choose what goes on the back?
orghghh I would love to give a try to making a card back if that's allowed... maybe I can reserve taking a swing at this? Something ornate, 2 colors, woodcut-esque, smeargle/pokeball/koffing themed?

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd love to help out with this and I'll make a pixel art one, I know I don't have a thread or anything yet but az and a few others can vouch for my ability.

100% custom of course no edited sprites and what have you.

I'll take 2 of spades (Edit: 3 of diamonds actually, that would be tight). Will probably end up doing Sneasel, maybe in a glorified 8-bit, or something else in RBY style who knows.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)