OU Smeargle

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Overview
########

Smeargle looks like an odd choice for competitive play at first glance with its all-round abysmal stats; however, with access to every move, Smeargle finds itself a niche in OU. With Spore and Stealth Rock, Smeargle is one of two viable Sticky Web users, allowing it to function as an effective support choice for slow sweepers, such as Swords Dance Diggersby. To aid in this role, Smeargle has access to moves such as Taunt, Parting Shot, Magic Coat, and even Dark Void, which makes it the only OU Pokemon able to put Grass-types and Overcoat users to sleep. All in all, Smeargle isn't that great of a Pokemon, but fulfills certain support roles that no other Pokemon can, giving it a place in the OU metagame.

Sticky Web
########
name: Sticky Web
move 1: Sticky Web
move 2: Stealth Rock
move 3: Spore / Dark Void
move 4: Magic Coat
ability: Own Tempo
item: Focus Sash
evs: 96 HP / 120 Def / 40 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

Sticky Web is a valuable support move, lowering the Speed of all grounded opponents by one stage to allow for slower attackers to shine. Stealth Rock is an important entry hazard for offensive Pokemon to secure KOs and get general chip damage on opposing Pokemon. To facilitate setting them up, Spore is run to put an opposing Pokemon to sleep, crippling it for what often turns out to be the remainder of the match and making setup effortless. Dark Void is a viable alternative to put Grass-types, such as Mega Venusaur and Ferrothorn, and Overcoat users, such as Mandibuzz, to sleep, but it has a chance to miss that makes it much less reliable in virtually every other scenario. Magic Coat is used to bounce back opposing entry hazards and Taunt.

Set Details
========

The EVs prioritize Speed so that Smeargle can outrun as many opponents as possible. From there, they serve to balance its defenses. A Focus Sash is necessary because even with the defensive investment, pretty much every attack is going to KO Smeargle in one hit, so it needs the guaranteed survival to get much of anything useful done.

Usage Tips
========

Smeargle is best utilized in the lead position to ensure an unbroken Focus Sash. The first move should be to put the foe to sleep and then to set up Sticky Web, followed by Stealth Rock. Magic Coat should be used to stop opposing entry hazard setup and Taunt as necessary.

Beware of setting up Sticky Web against teams with Bisharp. The Speed reduction is not of much consequence for it, and Defiant will gain it a +2 Attack boost, making it extremely difficult to handle.

Team Options
========

Pokemon such as Swords Dance Diggersby, Crawdaunt, and Mega Medicham love slower opponents so they can fire off their ridiculously high-powered attacks freely, thus enjoying Smeargle's support. Carrying a Bisharp can also be beneficial, as it turns Deoxys-D and Deoxys-S reflecting Sticky Web with Magic Coat into a beneficial scenario because of Defiant. Moreover, it discourages Defog and can take advantage of it, as a +2 Bisharp is extremely threatening. Pokemon such as Greninja and mixed Thundurus that put pressure on opposing Defog users also make good teammates to help prevent Smeargle's hard work from being undone.

Other Options
########

The best alternative option is a SmashPass set, which has the advantage of Spore over Gorebyss, granting it numerous setup opportunities that Gorebyss wouldn't have. An entry hazard-setting variant of Smeargle with Stealth Rock, Spikes, a sleeping move, and a filler was pretty usable last generation. However, the reintroduction of Deoxys-S and Deoxys-D to OU, as well as the Defog buff, have rendered this set rather poor in the generation shift. A gimmicky set with Trick Room / Spore / Endeavor / Dragon Rage can be annoying, putting a foe to sleep and bringing another down to 1 HP, then finishing it off with Dragon Rage. However, the rise of priority in XY has reduced the effectiveness of this set immensely. No other move is really worth running, as Smeargle has abysmal offensive and defensive stats that make it pretty useless outside of its limited niche.

Checks and Counters
########

**Non-Sucker Punch Priority Users**: If a foe has already been put to sleep after having brought Smeargle down to its sash, a priority user can finish it off. Think Mega Scizor, Azumarill, and Mega Pinsir. Sucker Punch users don't work because Smeargle doesn't attack, though.

**Damaging Weather**: Choice Scarf Tyranitar outruns Smeargle and prevents it from doing anything by bringing it down to its Focus Sash, at which point it is KOed by sandstorm.

**Magic Bounce**: Espeon and Mega Absol bounce back Spore, Dark Void, Sticky Web, and Stealth Rock, rendering Smeargle useless.

**Magic Coat**: Used by the likes of Deoxys-S and Deoxys-D, Magic Coat bounces back Spore, Dark Void, Sticky Web, and Stealth Rock in a similar fashion to Magic Bounce.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slash Dark Void with Spore. Ferrothorn, Venusaur, Gourgeist, Breloom, Mandibuzz and Trevenant are the only new relevant mons that Spore doesnt hit (nobody uses Safety Goggles AFAIK), and Smeargle cant really handle missing a Dark Void. It could probably be argued that Spore is better than Dark Void, but I dont use or face Smeargle enough to say that.

Slash Dark Void with Spore. Ferrothorn, Venusaur, Gourgeist, Breloom, Mandibuzz and Trevenant are the only new relevant mons that Spore doesnt hit (nobody uses Safety Goggles AFAIK), and Smeargle cant really handle missing a Dark Void. It could probably be argued that Spore is better than Dark Void, but I dont use or face Smeargle enough to say that.
Agreed. A single miss will get you. And if they do use a Grass type (or Mandibuzz), you can always switch out.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
These Pokemon you mention are all very common (especially Mega Venusaur and Mandibuzz) and stop Smeargle in its tracks. 80% accuracy is enough. I talked with various QC members about this issue, and we've decided Spore will not be slashed.

These Pokemon you mention are all very common (especially Mega Venusaur and Mandibuzz) and stop Smeargle in its tracks. 80% accuracy is enough. I talked with various QC members about this issue, and we've decided Spore will not be slashed.
Smeargle outspeeds both Mega Venusaur and Mandibuzz, so it can easily get up Rocks and Web before its taken out. Lack of a usable sleep move isnt really a problem there. Breloom is probably the only new mon thats immune to Spore that matters to Smeargle, because it can Spore back or 2HKO with Mach Punch.

Whether or not Spore is better or worse than Dark Void, it's certainly a very viable option that has some significant advantages. Doesnt that meet the criteria for a slashed move?

Jukain

!_!
Just Mega Venusaur being so common is enough. With Trevenant, Mandibuzz, Ferrothorn, etc. all common in OU, Dark Void is so much more useful. Spore will receive an OO mention.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
I think Stealth Rock should go over either Taunt or Magic Coat. The only real reason you'd use Smeargle over something like Galvantula is that he can set up dual hazards.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Don't forget that Smeargle can also put something to sleep, which is very important, as well as Taunt opposing Defog users. Anyway, i agree that SR is very important, as this way you can choose which hazard to set up depending on the team you face, and even set up both against more defensive teams. I would slash it before Magic Coat, as Taunt is too good to pass up, but that's just me...

If I could maybe make a suggestion, perhaps the moveset of the first set could look something like:

move 1: Sticky Web
move 2: Dark Void
move 3: Taunt / Parting Shot
move 4: Stealth Rock / Magic Coat

Personally, I'm inclined to agree on the matter that Stealth Rock is useful for Smeargle, in that teams running Smeargle don't always have the resources necessary to provide an alternate Stealth Rock setter. Magic Coat is definitely useful, ironing out its "lead match-up" against alternate dedicated leads at the very least, but it is generally more of a luxury than anything else, as is Stealth Rock to some extent (if one was to be led to believe that its role is to successfully set up Sticky Web w/out in turn becoming exploited by another 'mon in turn, with anything else being secondary). The way I see it, Magic Coat is far more beneficial in match-ups against offensive playstyles, where the aforementioned "lead match-up" comes into play more heavily, and coincidentally where Sticky Web is more significant (neutering Scarf 'mons, helping your team's attacker edge out v.other offensive 'mons, etc.), so it would make sense that a team concerned about that match-up would run Magic Coat for this purpose. On the other hand, more defensive playstyles would otherwise make such a Smeargle set somewhat of a "dud teamslot", as all it would accomplish is setting up the fairly inconsequential Sticky Web, force a sleep fodder, and limit hazard set-up in the short term, none of which is particularly bothersome really. In this case, it helps to have a secondary hazard to give Smeargle some "weight" in the match, allowing the rest of the team to dedicate itself towards breaking down these defensive teams, w/out having to spread resources on hazards and such. As for the Parting Shot mention, it may just be personal preference, but I've found it to be a very effective choice in the "Taunt slot". I understand the value of Taunt, in that it can prevent set-up post sleep fodder and restrict slow Defog users from simply stalemating w/it, but Parting Shot can accomplish very similar things; the stat drops+U-Turn effect restrict how much a 'mon can typically "set up" on Smeargle, chaining a Parting Shot into Bisharp, or just a hard-hitting follow-up 'mon, similarly pressures Defog users, while actually "stopping" faster Defog users, such as Lati@s, to some extent. This also allows Smeargle to keep momentum for the team, something I found rather obnoxious with a Smeargle lacking it, meaning that it isn't necessarily being put in a strenuous 50-50 every time the opponent packs an Excadrill or something to that effect. Plus, it can usually make for a much more maneuverable death fodder afterwords, since it limits the amount of "manual switching" the player has to do to preserve it for such purposes, especially since the one thing it doesn't immediately account for (Defog) can indirectly allow it to preserve it's sash / keep it at 1 hp for later. That being said, it seems like the most logical slash ordering, with everything else (Metal Burst, [T]Spikes, Whirlwind, etc.) being left to lesser mentions.

Just my two cents tho, take of it what you will x-x

Say, are any of these moves good for Smeargle?
-Destiny Bond
-King's Shield
-Spiky Shield
-Heart Swap
-Foul Play
-Topsy-Turvy
-Power Trick (apparently it can be Baton Passed, maybe with Mega Aggron)
-Final Gambit
-Power Split
-Guard Split
-Memento
-Transform
-Super Fang

No mention of White Herb on the Shell Smash set? Also, what about Power Herb + Geomancy passing?

There other some other things Smeargle can use that aren't mentioned in the thread yet: Lunar Dance, Endeavor, Trick Room (FEARgle is more viable now thanks to no permanent sandstorm), Spikes, Glare, and TrickScarf.

edit: oh yeah ;c

Last edited:
No mention of White Herb on the Shell Smash set? Also, what about Power Herb + Geomancy passing?

There other some other things Smeargle can use that aren't mentioned in the thread yet: Lunar Dance, Endeavor, Trick Room (FEARgle is more viable now thanks to no permanent sandstorm), Spikes, Glare, and TrickScarf.
Ah, I remember my old Level 1 Smeargle idea. But I don't think it'll work as well anymore because Fairy types are immune to Dragon Rage.

Jukain

!_!
Without a Focus Sash (ignoring the Ingrain BP set for now because that's an entirely different animal) Smeargle can't do shit. It's just too frail and doesn't outrun enough to work consistently without a Focus Sash.

FEAR has massively reduced in effectiveness this generation due to the rise in priority, and will receive an OO mention, but no more.

Anyways this is QC Ready :)

Minor thing about the smashpass set. You should Shell Smash first, then Spore, so you can Baton Pass for free while your opponent switches instead hoping your recipient doesn't get wrecked on the pass.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
- With access to the excellent Sticky Web it has skyrocketed in usage to reach OU status
Don't talk about its popularity, only about its viability. It's one of the only two viable users of Sticky Web in OU, which is huge, and the main reason to use Smeargle. SmashPassing and Ingrain passing are like drops in the ocean regarding Smeargle's viability in OU.

On the first set, explain how Magic Coat works best against HO teams, which usually pack semi-dedicated hazard leads too and Magic Coat is incredibly useful, not to mention that Sticky Web alone is often good enough against those teams. Dual hazards is superior against balanced and defensive teams.

In the team options of the first set, mention Pokemon that can outspeed and dent/OHKO the common Defog and Rapid Spin users. Choice Scarf Genesect, Analytic Starmie, and U-turn Greninja are good examples.

Also, if you forgo SR for Magic Coat on Smeargle, it is good to have another Pokemon to set it up. SR + Taunt Terrakion is the best partner for this job, as it can find many chances to set up SR, keeps up the fast face, and has Taunt to prevent Defog users from getting rid of Sticky Web and SR, as well as Close Combat to OHKO Excadrill. Mega Aerodactyl with Taunt and SR, or 3 attacks + SR, is another Pokemon that has respectable offensive presence and can protect your hazards vs the common anti-hazard mons.

In the SmashPass set, mention how multiple priority users are problematic for Smeargle, as the opponent can OHKO you after it has brought you down to your Sash. For example, if the opponent leads with Talonflame, it can just use U-turn to break your sash, and go the the other priority user to finish you off. If you use Dark Void on the first turn, the opponent can simply switch back into Talonflame as you use Shel Smash and OHKO you. Mention that leading with Smeargle against teams with multiple priority users is not the best option, and that Smeargle should be sent out against a slower foe against which it can safely use Dark Void while keeping his Sash intact, and then use Shell Smash + Baton Pass as the opponent brings in his priority user.

Mention Memento in OO, it's a very nice alternative to Parting Shot.

QC APPROVED 1/3

Why not at least slash Spore with Dark Void? I've been using Spore on all of my Smeargles and I find that as long as my opponent doesnt lead with a pokemon immune to Spore they will always switch to it immediately, knowing this I use Sticky Web on the first turn and essentially get a free turn anyway. Although I guess it comes down to personal preference, but that's why I think it deserves a slash.

Without a Focus Sash (ignoring the Ingrain BP set for now because that's an entirely different animal) Smeargle can't do shit. It's just too frail and doesn't outrun enough to work consistently without a Focus Sash.

FEAR has massively reduced in effectiveness this generation due to the rise in priority, and will receive an OO mention, but no more.

Anyways this is QC Ready :)
Can't Smeargle just use Extreme Speed and bypass most priority anyways?

I haven't used Smeargle much, but I also find it hard to see why Spore doesn't get a slash. Switch ins like Venusaur, Ferrothorn, Gourgeist and Trevenant are hardly terrifying as none of them can stop Smeargle from doing whatever job it's setting out to do, and some of those pokemon can't even 2HKO it. Mandibuzz can't Defog if you're running Taunt and can't 2HKO either. Dark Void gives a better matchup against these pokemon in the sense that you'll likely put them to sleep and get your hazards up, as opposed to just getting the hazards up, but it gives a worse matchup against everything else. A dark void miss gives a good chance that your Smeargle will die for nothing, I think weighing that risk against the potential rewards of putting grass types to sleep is a legitimate decision for the player to make.

Jukain

!_!
made some updates (most notably spore slashed before dark void, and also sr is slashed with sub on the full bp set), so this should be ready for qc #2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)