Ubers Smeargle (GP 2/2)

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
QC Checks: Sweep, Fireburn, Dice
GP Checks: Fleurdyleurse, frenzyplant

Overview
########

With access to all moves, Smeargle has carved out a niche in Ubers as a Sticky Web setter. Unfortunately, Smeargle's terrible base stats limit it to only being a support Pokemon. In addition, Smeargle is also much slower than other common leads, such as the Deoxys formes, Darkrai, and Scolipede. Smeargle is also not helped by the fact that it has to compete with Shuckle as a Sticky Web setter, which is free to run a Mental Herb to avoid Taunt. Despite these flaws, Smeargle is able to distinguish itself thanks to its unparalleled movepool and reputation as a high risk, high reward Pokemon.

Sticky Web Lead
########
name: Sticky Web Lead
move 1: Sticky Web
move 2: Nuzzle
move 3: Rapid Spin / Magic Coat
move 4: Taunt / Spore
item: Focus Sash
ability: Technician
evs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

Smeargle is one of two viable Sticky Web setters in Ubers; the hazard allows for easier use of powerful nukes that are typically hampered by their low Speed. Nuzzle is mandatory on this set as it allows Smeargle to spread paralysis even when Taunted, foiling setup sweepers that attempt to boost on Smeargle. The paralysis Nuzzle causes also allows Smeargle to move first on subsequent turns so that if it becomes Taunted, it can lay Sticky Web as soon as Taunt expires. Smeargle has two options for anti-hazard support, the first being Rapid Spin, which eliminates foe hazards without eliminating Smeargle's Sticky Web. The second is Magic Coat, which prevents the opponent from laying entry hazards and also helps combat Taunt and Dark Void, although it is prediction-reliant. Although Smeargle is slow compared to other common leads, Taunt is the best option in the final slot, as opponents can be slowed down by Nuzzle paralysis or Sticky Web; this can be especially helpful against support Arceus, which commonly switches in to Defog. Taunt also helps combat Substitute users or setup sweepers, which will be restrained from boosting. Spore is also an option in the final slot to scare the opponent into their sleep fodder, and the move is generally useful against spinners. If the opponent doesn't switch or doesn't have sleep fodder, this gives Smeargle free turns to set Sticky Web and possibly switch out unharmed. Lastly, Whirlwind is an option that can be used to allow Smeargle to stop Substitute users and setup sweepers.

Set Details
========

Max Speed EVs are optimal to give Smeargle a chance to move first; its offensive and defensive stats are too low to salvage, so the rest of the EVs are put into HP to give Smeargle the best possible chance of tanking hits, although Smeargle is still quite fragile even after HP investment. Smeargle's only option for an item is a Focus Sash to typically ensure that it can set up Sticky Web. A Jolly nature is used to further increase Smeargle's Speed, while Technician allows Nuzzle and Rapid Spin to deal slightly more damage.

Usage Tips
========

Smeargle's purpose is to successfully lay Sticky Web while preventing the opponent from setting up entry hazards. All the other moves are only used to ensure that Sticky Web is set up. Rapid Spin, in particular, should be used to stop foes that choose to stack hazards against Smeargle rather than knock it out.

Team Options
========

The primary purpose of Sticky Web is to be utilized alongside teammates that benefit from it; this includes Pokemon such as Choice Specs Kyogre, Choice Band Ho-Oh, Mega Lucario, Xerneas, Yveltal, Groudon, and Palkia. Choice Scarf Genesect pairs excellently with Smeargle as it can counter Darkrai leads while being fast enough to check threats such as Geomancy Xerneas thanks to Sticky Web. Fast Taunt is also helpful for ensuring that Sticky Web remains for the duration of the battle; Sableye and Thundurus have priority Taunt while Sableye can also handle Mega Kangaskhan counter leads. Mega Gengar and Mewtwo also have access to a fast Taunt in addition to generally threatening support Arceus. A dedicated solution for Mega Kangaskhan leads is also a good teammate; Smeargle fails to set Sticky Web against Mega Kangaskhan. Ghost-types with Will-O-Wisp are useful to check Mega Kangaskhan, while some offensive Pokemon such as Mega Mewtwo X and Mega Blaziken can beat Mega Kangaskhan one-on-one. Smeargle is also strained to set Stealth Rock in addition to Sticky Web, so a reliable setter of Stealth Rock such as Groudon or Dialga is recommended.

Other Options
========

Even though it has a massive movepool, Smeargle doesn't have very many alternate options. A SmashPass set with Baton Pass, Shell Smash, Spore, and Magic Coat can work, but is difficult to use in this metagame and is inconsistent; in a similar vein, Smeargle can run a Quiver Pass set. Endeavor is an option, as Smeargle is easily brought to one HP, but there is no room for it on the Sticky Web set. Dark Void can be used over Spore to be able to put Grass-types to sleep; however, the inaccuracy of Dark Void is often not worth this added benefit. Smeargle can also function as a setter of Trick Room and make use of Destiny Bond.

Checks and Counters
========
**Multi-Hit Moves**: Users of multi-hit moves can OHKO Smeargle, ignoring its Focus Sash. Mega Kangaskhan is the largest threat as it can always OHKO Smeargle. Scolipede can occasionally OHKO Smeargle with Pin Missile. Although Cloyster and Breloom can OHKO Smeargle, their lower Speeds allow for Smeargle to still set Sticky Web.

**Substitute users**: These can be combated with Whirlwind, but this is only a temporary solution, as they are still not inflicted with status. In addition, they often break Smeargle's Focus Sash before getting phazed out.

**Darkrai**: Darkrai is difficult to play against without Magic Coat, as Dark Void renders Smeargle useless before it gets to set Sticky Web.

**Mega Gengar**: Mega Gengar is difficult to deal with without Magic Coat, and doubles as a spinblocker if switched to after the opponent lays entry hazards. It can be punished with Nuzzle, but Smeargle will be trapped and likely taken down.

**Defog users**: Defog users are able to remove Sticky Web; however, if they switch in after Sticky Web is set or switch into Nuzzle and Smeargle has Taunt, they can be stopped.

Last edited:
I'd say mention Taunt, as well as Magic Coat, as it can block Defog, which Magic Coat does not do.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd say mention Taunt, as well as Magic Coat, as it can block Defog, which Magic Coat does not do.
I'll mention it, but the problem is that several team's defoggers are the support Arceus forms and they out-speed anyways. Taunt also doesn't block Rapid Spin (I know it's not too common but it is still relevant). Taunt does work on Support Arceus but you have to nail it on the switch which may be even more prediction reliant than Magic Coat. What does QC think, slashed with the main set or left in other options?

I'll move the web setter to number one since very few mons make good web setters in Ubers, also because we know the real reason is because the pun in that name.

And sorry Piexplode, I didn't mention the Imprison + Mean Look + Transform set because it's outclassed by Imprison + Heal Bell + Aromatherapy. No longer will that tyrant Blissey be able to get away with running even Aromatherapy.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Make this the Web set:

Sticky Web Lead
########
Name: Weave Come A Long Way
Move 1: Sticky Web
Move 2: Stealth Rock / Nuzzle
Move 3: Magic Coat
Move 4: Spore / Nuzzle
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Spe / 8 Def
Nature: Timid

Nuzzle is basically Thunder Wave that pierces Taunt, which lets you punish Yveltal and MMY for attempting to Taunt Shuckle. Nuzzle is also better than Magic Coat for fighting Taunt leads (except Gengar) since if they attack you can just set up Web next turn whereas if they Taunt you can switch out and come back in later. Magic Coat is still necessary for Mega Gengar and Darkrai leads though.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
252+ Atk Smeargle (Nuzzle) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Deoxys-A: 29-35 (12 - 14.5%) -- possible 7HKO

Way too OP, I mean it gets a 7HKO on the most bulky mon in the tier with max attack investment. With no investment it does this:

0 Atk Smeargle (Nuzzle) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Deoxys-A: 15-18 (6.2 - 7.4%) -- possibly the worst move ever

Obviously 252 Adamant gets first slash.

Make this the Web set:

Sticky Web Lead
########
Move 2: Stealth Rock / Nuzzle
Move 3: Magic Coat
Move 4: Spore / Nuzzle
Nature: Timid

Nuzzle is basically Thunder Wave that pierces Taunt, which lets you punish Yveltal and MMY for attempting to Taunt Shuckle. Nuzzle is also better than Magic Coat for fighting Taunt leads (except Gengar) since if they attack you can just set up Web next turn whereas if they Taunt you can switch out and come back in later. Magic Coat is still necessary for Mega Gengar and Darkrai leads though.
Is Explosion a viable option as well on this ? What I like about Explosion is that you can just explode yourself while someone tries to Rapid Spin/Defog on you. Once you explode, their Defog/Rapid Spin automatically fails after you go boom, so this works like one time block to any hazards removal attempt. Sounds pretty good on suicide lead like this. The only problem I see is that Arceus forms which invest in Speed are naturally faster, but if they switch directly on Sticky Web you easily outspeed them, so this should still work on certain scenarios. At least OO mention ?

Minority

Numquam Vincar
Isn't Rapid Spin with Magic Coat sort of repetitive, or should it be slashed with Magic Coat, but then you get shut down by Taunt. Maybe Rapid Spin could be slashed with Stealth Rock and Nuzzle, but I still feel like Rapid Spin with Magic Coat is repetitive since if you expect hazards you should just coat. Granted running Rapid Spin leaves you slightly less prediction reliant and thus free to web against anything that doesn't Taunt, but I don't know how useful it is, I slash it for now and try it out.

Explosion does little to no damage and can only OHKO Deo-A. It's about as useful as Taunt when it comes to preventing hazard removal since speed is an issue. Technically it's already in OO.

Spin+Nuzzle helps so much vs Deo-S leads. You can usually come out with Webs up against no hazards. Magic Coat isn't a great alternative as mons with Taunt are usually faster and breaks your Sash.

Furthermore, since you are relatively fast, there are many opportunities where you can get off a suicide spin for something like Ho-oh.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
Spin+Nuzzle helps so much vs Deo-S leads. You can usually come out with Webs up against no hazards. Magic Coat isn't a great alternative as mons with Taunt are usually faster and breaks your Sash.
From the way you worded it Hack it sounds as though you want Rapid Spin first slashed with Magic Coat. Against Deo-S you can Nuzzle first turn when you expect the Taunt and then Rapid Spin until your Taunt is up to lay web since you are now faster. As for Own Tempo it really only trolls swaggkeys, but even with Jolly Technician the amount of damage Smeargle will be doing is basically nothing. I'll put it in anyways.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
Alright, I've been testing it out all day and I like Rapid Spin + Nuzzle quite a bit. Even without Magic Coat you aren't really Taunt bait since you can punish common Taunt users like Mega Gar, Yveltal, MM2, and Deo with Nuzzle. Rapid spin also prevents hazards from being set on you while you wait for Taunt to expire. I'm going to first slash Nuzzle over rocks since with Rapid Spin you need Nuzzle.

IMO the set should look like this:

Sticky Web Lead
########
Move 2: Nuzzle
Move 3: Rapid Spin / Magic Coat
Move 4: Spore / Whirlwind
Nature: Jolly

Whirlwind should be given a mention (moves at least?), it's pretty useful to make sure setup sweepers with Substitute, mainly Xerneas and some CM Arceus formes, do not get out of hand. Also, as far as hazard control goes, Rapid Spin > Magic Coat, although the latter is nice for bouncing back status.
Am I the only one who thinks SR should go in moves? Wanting webs + rocks just seems like too much to ask for as Smeargle will be hard-pressed to set up both hazards. Also, webs teams have a good few viable users of SR so you don't really have to compress roles here.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
Playing with this set Lugiass and Sub Geo Xern are quite annoying as they are fast enough to get up their sub while Lugiass doesn't really mind paralysis anyways. Whirlwind would be handy against Sub Geo Xern, but stuff like Lugiass gets to break your sash first before being phazed out. I'll slash it and try it out as well, but I think I like Spore better even though it is very predictable. As for Stealth Rock I think it still has merit to be slashed second as Smeargle sometimes finds itself with one extra turn before death after setting up Web and it's nice to be able to capitalize on this. Does QC agree?

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I would toss Breloom into the Checks and Counters section as a check because it is immune to Spore and will always limit Smeargle to 1 turn with either a 3 Hit Bullet Seed or a low roll 2 Hit + Mach Punch. This is really bad if you have the smash pass set and it limits the Sticky Web set to setting up Webs once.

Also, (ask QC before doing this) I feel like the Smash Pass set should be first since the webs set faces stiff competition from Shuckle who is arguably better at this since it doesn't rely on a Focus Sash.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
I'll add Breloom.

Based on what the QC team has previously posted I assume they want the Web Lead first even though it faces competition from Shuckle while others believe that webs are just a gimmick anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)