Smeargle [QC 2/2] [GP 2/2]

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion

Smeargle is a centralizing Pokemon in the VGC metagame due to its utility and ability to shut down both foes with Dark Void. It has an amazing support movepool that allows Pokemon such as Mega Kangaskhan and Xerneas to set up more easily. Dark Void, however, is the best support move Smeargle can learn and the main reason why you should use Smeargle. Moody can be a very useful ability, as if Smeargle gets one Speed boost, it becomes a huge threat that can fire off a fast Dark Void, so even faster foes will have trouble stopping it; however, a Speed drop allows foes to easily outspeed and KO Smeargle. Smeargle also has horrible defenses and a bad Speed tier, which leaves it outsped and KOed by many Pokemon in the metagame. Smeargle's Speed tier also leaves it vulnerable to fast Taunt users.

[SET]
name: Lady Luck (Support)
move 1: Dark Void
move 2: Spiky Shield
move 3: Follow Me
move 4: Fake Out / Wide Guard
item: Focus Sash
ability: Moody
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dark Void puts both foes to sleep, which can allow Smeargle's partner to set up. Spiky Shield can stop incoming Fake Out or Taunt and damages foes that target Smeargle with physical attacks. Follow Me can redirect attacks away from Smeargle's partner, which is especially useful if its partner is setting up; furthermore, it is also Smeargle's most consistent option to support its team, as it doesn't have to rely on the shaky accuracy of Dark Void. Fake Out can create free turns for partners to set up or finish off a foe. Wide Guard can be used to stop common spread attacks such as Origin Pulse and Precipice Blades.

Set Details
========

252 Speed EVs with a Timid nature allow Smeargle to be as fast as possible. 252 Defense EVs allow Smeargle to survive some weaker physical hits such as Mega Kangaskhan's Power-Up Punch. 252 HP EVs should be used if Smeargle is running Transform, as its HP stays the same after it uses the move. Focus Sash is used because Smeargle cannot survive many attacks without it. Moody is the preferred ability, as even though it can be unreliable, a single accuracy or Speed can boost can win a game.

Usage Tips
========

Smeargle is generally used as a lead to get off an immediate Dark Void. It is not good to switch Smeargle into attacks, as it is quite frail; it is reasonable, however, to switch Smeargle in on Ghost-type attacks or after a partner has fainted. Using Spiky Shield on the first turn can be good if there is a Fake Out or Taunt user that Smeargle's partner can KO. Dark Void has a 36% chance of missing one target, so it is better to make a different play if you don't have to take that risk.

Team Options
========

Almost any Pokemon that can apply good offensive pressure appreciates Smeargle's support. Mega Kangaskhan is one of the best partners for Smeargle, as it provides Fake Out support while Smeargle can help it set up with Dark Void. Xerneas appreciates Dark Void to help it set up Geomancy. Tailwind setters such as Crobat and Talonflame can set up Tailwind for Smeargle, which can allow it to get a faster Dark Void off. Partners with Quick Guard can be useful in stopping Prankster Taunt and Fake Out, and they also help with Brave Bird from Talonflame.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Choice Scarf set can be used to get a fast Dark Void off; however, this makes Smeargle dead weight after it fires off a Dark Void and is really weak to Prankster Taunt. Helping Hand can be used to boost the power of Smeargle's partner's attacks. Magic Coat is useful in stopping opposing Smeargle by bouncing back Dark Void. Smeargle can use Role Play on a Primal partner to reset their weather. King's Shield can punish physical attackers for attacking Smeargle by lowering their Attack by two stages. Wide Guard can be used to block common spread moves such as Precipice Blades and Origin Pulse. Crafty Shield can be used to protect your team from opposing Taunt and Dark Void. Own Tempo can be used if you don't like having to risk the negative effects of Moody. A low-level Smeargle can be used to get a really fast Dark Void off under Trick Room; this set also uses Endeavor for some offensive presence. Mental Herb can be used to make Smeargle immune to Taunt; this, however, makes Smeargle very easy to KO, as it does not have a Focus Sash.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Crobat**: Crobat can outspeed Smeargle and Taunt it. Crobat is also immune to flinching from Fake Out and often carries a Lum Berry, nullifying sleep from Dark Void.

**Mega Kangaskhan**: Mega Kangaskhan can outspeed Smeargle and OHKO it through its Focus Sash thanks to Parental Bond

**Status Prevention**: Status prevention stops Smeargle from using Dark Void, which is what it does best; some moves that do this are Taunt, Magic Coat, Substitute, and Safeguard. Lum Berry can also be used to stop Dark Void but is a bit unreliable, as it has a one-time use. Mega Mewtwo Y in particular is faster than Choice Scarf Smeargle and is immune to Dark Void thanks to Insomnia.

**Spread Attacks**: Spread attacks make it easier to double target Smeargle, and they will still do damage to its partner.

Last edited:

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
The set should be...
name: Dark Void
move 2: Dark Void
move 3: Dark Void
move 4: Dark Void
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Naughty
evs: 69 HP / 69 Atk / 69 Def / 69 SpA / 69 SpD/ 69 Spe

lol

I don't think that Moody should be used as the main ability as it is unpredictable, it could lower accuracy, speed and defenses. Own Tempo is just a whole lot safer

Mishimono

mish mish
The set should be...
name: Dark Void
move 2: Dark Void
move 3: Dark Void
move 4: Dark Void
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Naughty
evs: 69 HP / 69 Atk / 69 Def / 69 SpA / 69 SpD/ 69 Spe

lol

I don't think that Moody should be used as the main ability as it is unpredictable, it could lower accuracy, speed and defenses. Own Tempo is just a whole lot safer
I think most of the Sash Smeargles now are running Moody but if using Scarf Smeargle Own Tempo is probably safer.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Sash Smeargle should use Moody most of the time because there's a greater chance of it getting a gamechanging boost than not. Generally, you'll only use Own Tempo if you have Teeter Dance alongside it.

Scarf should be using Own Tempo however as it's often forced to switch out, wasting the awesome boosts.

EDIT: Put Follow Me on the main set, and put Crafty Shield in OO.

Ban Dark Void

Last edited:

Jibaku

is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Overview:

- Should mention Dark Void because this move defines Smeargle and empowers the rest of its support options. Spend a turn to stop Dark Void with stuff like Magic Coat or Safeguard and it could just Transform to its ally Xerneas and win the game. It's also the best move in the game.
- Mention the combination of Moody + Dark Void being gamechanging
- Also mention the coinflippy nature of the above combination (for good and bad)

1st set:
- Re-order last move to Follow Me/Transform/Tailwind. Follow Me gives Smeargle the most consistency in supporting, since it can help set up its partner without relying on the shaky accuracy of Dark Void.

For more info: http://nuggetbridge.com/blogs/entry/1057-doble-ing-in-the-dark-arts/#comment-19228

- Tailwind is best used with another Fake Out partner so it can be set up safely. Smeargle can then fire off fast Dark Voids if it wishes
- Team options should include Quick Guard to stop prankster Taunts and Fake Outs. Also helps against Talonflame BB.

2nd set:
- Choice Scarf should be a set.

Checks&Counters:
- Should mention Lum Berry, even though this can be a bit unreliable
- Mega Mewtwo Y is also another check to Smeargle due to Insomnia and being faster than even Scarf Smeargle.

Mishimono

mish mish
Overview:

- Should mention Dark Void because this move defines Smeargle and empowers the rest of its support options. Spend a turn to stop Dark Void with stuff like Magic Coat or Safeguard and it could just Transform to its ally Xerneas and win the game. It's also the best move in the game.
- Mention the combination of Moody + Dark Void being gamechanging
- Also mention the coinflippy nature of the above combination (for good and bad)

1st set:
- Re-order last move to Follow Me/Transform/Tailwind. Follow Me gives Smeargle the most consistency in supporting, since it can help set up its partner without relying on the shaky accuracy of Dark Void.

For more info: http://nuggetbridge.com/blogs/entry/1057-doble-ing-in-the-dark-arts/#comment-19228

- Tailwind is best used with another Fake Out partner so it can be set up safely. Smeargle can then fire off fast Dark Voids if it wishes
- Team options should include Quick Guard to stop prankster Taunts and Fake Outs. Also helps against Talonflame BB.

2nd set:
- Choice Scarf should be a set.

Checks&Counters:
- Should mention Lum Berry, even though this can be a bit unreliable
- Mega Mewtwo Y is also another check to Smeargle due to Insomnia and being faster than even Scarf Smeargle.
I imported what you said except for Scarf Smeargle being a set. I talked to Ksh13 and some other players and they didn't seem to think it needed a set. If more people think it deserves a set I'll add it in.

AM Check

Overview
  • "It is the best move in the game." - This is subjective; there are a lot of really good moves. I think saying that it's the best support move Smeargle can learn is enough, and that this sentence should be removed.
  • "The combination of Dark Void and Moody can be gamechanging" - This and the sentence below are saying the same thing. I'd move what is currently the last bullet point to the third point and delete the quoted one.
Moves
  • Mention the moves in the order that they're listed on the set. Adjust Follow Me and Tailwind accordingly.
Set Details
  • You need to talk about Smeargle's item and ability here as well.
Usage Tips
  • "It is not good to switch Smeargle in as it is quite frail" - Specify switching into an attack. Smeargle can switch into Ghost-type moves or irrelevant support moves, for example, or after a partner has fainted.
  • "Using Spiky Shield on the first turn can be good if there is a Fake Out or Taunt user you can let your partner KO" - The "let your partner KO" bit is only relevant for opposing Taunt users, as you can KO the Taunt user to prevent it from using Taunt the following turn. Fake Out can only be used on the first turn, so it's a moot point.
  • Caution the reader about Dark Void's accuracy; it has a 36% chance of missing at least one target. If there's an alternative play that doesn't involve taking that chance, then it should generally be taken.
Other Options
  • You need to write a short description for each OO. QC need to know your reasoning for including each.
  • I don't think Power Herb and Geomancy should be listed. Geomancy Xerneas can't be used on the same team, Smeargle must give up a second moveslot for Heart Swap or Baton Pass, and it requires specific teambuilding.
  • Add Mental Herb, for the users that consider Taunt more of a threat to Smeargle's usage than damage.
  • Magic Coat may be worth citing due to Smeargle's high usage, as it's a way of dealing with mirror matches.
Checks and Counters
  • Mega Mewtwo Y's Insomnia mention should be merged with "Status Prevention".
  • You may want to add a section for "Spread Attackers", as they make double targeting Smeargle easier.

Last edited:

Mishimono

mish mish
AM Check

Overview
  • "It is the best move in the game." - This is subjective; there are a lot of really good moves. I think saying that it's the best support move Smeargle can learn is enough, and that this sentence should be removed.
  • "The combination of Dark Void and Moody can be gamechanging" - This and the sentence below are saying the same thing. I'd move what is currently the last bullet point to the third point and delete the quoted one.
Moves
  • Mention the moves in the order that they're listed on the set. Adjust Follow Me and Tailwind accordingly.
Set Details
  • You need to talk about Smeargle's item and ability here as well.
Usage Tips
  • "It is not good to switch Smeargle in as it is quite frail" - Specify switching into an attack. Smeargle can switch into Ghost-type moves or irrelevant support moves, for example, or after a partner has fainted.
  • "Using Spiky Shield on the first turn can be good if there is a Fake Out or Taunt user you can let your partner KO" - The "let your partner KO" bit is only relevant for opposing Taunt users, as you can KO the Taunt user to prevent it from using Taunt the following turn. Fake Out can only be used on the first turn, so it's a moot point.
  • Caution the reader about Dark Void's accuracy; it has a 36% chance of missing at least one target. If there's an alternative play that doesn't involve taking that chance, then it should generally be taken.
Other Options
  • You need to write a short description for each OO. QC need to know your reasoning for including each.
  • I don't think Power Herb and Geomancy should be listed. Geomancy Xerneas can't be used on the same team, Smeargle must give up a second moveslot for Heart Swap or Baton Pass, and it requires specific teambuilding.
  • Add Mental Herb, for the users that consider Taunt more of a threat to Smeargle's usage than damage.
  • Magic Coat may be worth citing due to Smeargle's high usage, as it's a way of dealing with mirror matches.
Checks and Counters
  • Mega Mewtwo Y's Insomnia mention should be merged with "Status Prevention".
  • You may want to add a section for "Spread Attackers", as they make double targeting Smeargle easier.
added in

kamikaze

The King Of Games
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
after discussing with some people, I just feel like follow me is too good to drop and its probably better to slash Tailwind and Transform after something like Fake Out instead since you do have Spiky Shield anyway and I have seen more smeargle opting to click the other 3 moves more often.

Or you can have those slashed after both Fake Out and Follow Me if some others really feel fake out is too vital.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Just a note, Nuzzle is really good and deserves a mention somewhere, whether it is in moves or OO it should be there

Okay this looks pretty good, I have a few nitpicks though:

• For Transform be sure to mention that it is especially nice to Transform your own Xerneas when it has set up Geomancy with the free turn that Dark Void creates (or any other setuper such as PuP Kang)
  • In team options change Crobat to Tailwind setters in general
  • Own Tempo for OO
Think that's pretty much it in terms of what I can come up with, after that's implemented QC 1/2

Jibaku

Primary set should be changed to:
- Dark Void
- Spiky Shield
- Follow Me
- Fake Out / Wide Guard

WG + Follow Me is a rather frustrating combo to play against, shared only by Parasect (except it has Rage Powder which makes it less viable). Tailwind and Transform aren't really common enough nowadays to warrant slashes.

Slow Smeargle is fairly prevalent with Trick Room teams (or as a counter to them, as it is slower than the primals), and should be mentioned imo, perhaps as a set of its own. Max HP and Def allows it to survive -1 Double Edge from Kangaskhan, and Bronzong Gyro Ball is a 3HKO. It uses Crafty Shield to protect its ally from Dark Void and Taunts and allows for TR to be set up, and then it can fire off its own Dark Void.

Likewise, low level Smeargle should be mentioned in OO, with Endeavor giving it some solid presence and an even "faster" Dark Void under TR.

Mental Herb in OO because getting destroyed by one sucks...

Seriously screw this mon

Last edited:

Mishimono

mish mish
Primary set should be changed to:
- Dark Void
- Spiky Shield
- Follow Me
- Fake Out / Wide Guard

WG + Follow Me is a rather frustrating combo to play against, shared only by Parasect (except it has Rage Powder which makes it less viable). Tailwind and Transform aren't really common enough nowadays to warrant slashes.

Slow Smeargle is fairly prevalent with Trick Room teams (or as a counter to them, as it is slower than the primals), and should be mentioned imo, perhaps as a set of its own. Max HP and Def allows it to survive -1 Double Edge from Kangaskhan, and Bronzong Gyro Ball is a 3HKO. It uses Crafty Shield to protect its ally from Dark Void and Taunts and allows for TR to be set up, and then it can fire off its own Dark Void.

Likewise, low level Smeargle should be mentioned in OO, with Endeavor giving it some solid presence and an even "faster" Dark Void under TR.

Mental Herb in OO because getting destroyed by one sucks...

Seriously screw this mon
I'll ask some other people if I should add the TR set in. Added in everything else

add remove comments

stop "killing" pokemon :v4:
[OVERVIEW]

Smeargle is a centralizing in the VGC metagame due to its utility and ability to shut down shutdown multiple pokemon both foes with Dark Void. It has an amazing support movepool that allows for Pokemon such as Mega Kangaskhan and Xerneas to setup more easily easier. Dark Void, however, is the best support move Smeargle can learn and the main reason why you should use Smeargle. Moody can be very useful ability, (AC) as if Smeargle gets one Speed boost it becomes a huge threat firing off fast Dark Voids, so even faster foes will have trouble stopping it; (SC) however, (AC) a Speed drop allows the foes opponent to easily outspeed and KO kill Smeargle. Smeargle also has horrible defenses and a bad Speed tier, (AC) which leaves it allows it to get out outsped and KOed killed by many Pokemon in the metagame. Smeargle's Speed tier also allows it to get shutdown by leaves it vulnerable to fast Taunt users.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dark Void puts both foes pokemon to sleep, (AC) which can allow Smeargle's partner partners to set up setup. Spiky Shield can stop incoming Fake Out or Taunt and damages foes using physical attacks targeting Smeargle. Follow Me can redirect attacks away from your Smeargle's partner, (AC) which is especially useful if its your partner is setting up; (SC) furthermore, it is also the Smeargle's most consistent option to support its team, (AC) in supporting your partner as you don't it doesn't have to rely on the shaky accuracy of Dark Void. Fake Out can create free turns for partners to setup set up or finish off a foe. Wide Guard can be used to stop common spread attacks such as Origin Pulse and Precipice Precicpice Blades.

Set Details
========

252 Speed EVs with a Timid nature allow Smeargle to be as fast as possible. 252 Defense Evs EVs allow Smeargle to live some weaker physical hits such as Mega Kangaskhan's Power-Up Punch on Kangaskhan. 252 HP EVs Evs should be used if Smeargle is running Transform, (AC) as its HP stays the same after it uses the move when you Transform. Focus Sash is used as because Smeargle cannot survive many attacks without it. Moody is chosen as the the preferred ability, (AC) as even though it can be unreliable, (AC) a single accuracy or Speed can boost can win a game.

Usage Tips
========

Smeargle is generally lead with to get immediate Dark Voids off. It is not good to switch Smeargle into attacks, (AC) as it is quite frail; (SC) it is reasonable, (AC) ok however, (AC) to switch Smeargle in on Ghost-type attacks or when after a partner has fainted. Using Spiky Shield on the first turn can be good if there is a Fake Out or Taunt user you can kill KO with a partner. Dark Void has a 36% (not a fan of mentioning percentages explicitly but it isnt wrong) chance of missing one target so it is better to make a different play if you don't have to take that risk.

Team Options
========

Almost any Pokemon with that can apply good offensive pressure appreciates Smeargle's support. Mega Kangaskhan is one of the best partners for Smeargle, (AC) as it provides Fake Out support while Smeargle can help it set up setup with Dark Void. Xerneas appreciates Dark Void to help it setup a set up Geomancy. Tailwind setters such as Crobat and Talonflame can setup set up Tailwind for Smeargle, (AC) which can allow it to get faster Dark Voids off. Partners with Quick Guard can be useful in stopping Prankster Taunts and Fake Outs, (AC) and they It also helps with Brave Bird from Talonflame.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Choice Scarf set can be used to get fast Dark Voids off; (SC) however, (AC) this makes Smeargle dead weight after it fires off a Dark Void and is really weak to Prankster Taunt. Helping Hand can be used to boost the power of Smeargle's partner's your partners attacks. Magic Coat is useful in stopping opposing Smeargles by bouncing back Dark Void. Smeargle can use Role Play on a Primal partner to reset their weather. King's Shield can punish physical attackers for attacking Smeargle you by lowering their Attack by two 2 stages. Wide Guard can be used to block common spread moves such as Precipice Blades and Origin Pulse. Crafty Shield can be used to block protect your team from opposing Taunt and Dark Void. Own Tempo can be used if you don't like having to risk the negative effects of Moody. A low level low-level Smeargle can be used to get really fast Dark Voids off under Trick Room. The low level This set also uses Endeavor for some offensive presence. Mental Herb can be used to make Smeargle immune to Taunt; (SC) this, (AC) however, (AC) makes Smeargle very easy to KO, (AC) kill as it does not have a Focus Sash.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Crobat**: Crobat can outspeed Smeargle and Taunt it. Crobat is also immune to Fake Out and often carries a Lum Berry. (period)

**Mega Kangaskhan** Mega Kangaskhan can KO Smeargle through it's its Focus Sash with Parental Bond, while also generally outspeeding it. (period)

**Status Prevention** Status prevention stops Smeargle from using Dark Void, (AC) which is what it Smeargle does best; (SC) some moves that do this are Taunt, Magic Coat, Substitute and Safeguard. Lum Berry can also be used to stop Dark Void but is a bit unreliable, (AC) as it has a one-time one time use. Mega Mewtwo Y in particular gets a mention here as it is faster than Choice Scarf Smeargle and is immune to Dark Void from its ability thanks to Insomnia. (period)

**Spread Attacks** Spread attacks make it easier to double target Smeargle, and they as you still will still do damage to its their partner (period)

1/2

Last edited:

Mishimono

mish mish
add remove comments

stop "killing" pokemon :v4:
[OVERVIEW]

Smeargle is a centralizing in the VGC metagame due to its utility and ability to shut down shutdown multiple pokemon both foes with Dark Void. It has an amazing support movepool that allows for Pokemon such as Mega Kangaskhan and Xerneas to setup more easily easier. Dark Void, however, is the best support move Smeargle can learn and the main reason why you should use Smeargle. Moody can be very useful ability, (AC) as if Smeargle gets one Speed boost it becomes a huge threat firing off fast Dark Voids, so even faster foes will have trouble stopping it; (SC) however, (AC) a Speed drop allows the foes opponent to easily outspeed and KO kill Smeargle. Smeargle also has horrible defenses and a bad Speed tier, (AC) which leaves it allows it to get out outsped and KOed killed by many Pokemon in the metagame. Smeargle's Speed tier also allows it to get shutdown by leaves it vulnerable to fast Taunt users.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dark Void puts both foes pokemon to sleep, (AC) which can allow Smeargle's partner partners to set up setup. Spiky Shield can stop incoming Fake Out or Taunt and damages foes using physical attacks targeting Smeargle. Follow Me can redirect attacks away from your Smeargle's partner, (AC) which is especially useful if its your partner is setting up; (SC) furthermore, it is also the Smeargle's most consistent option to support its team, (AC) in supporting your partner as you don't it doesn't have to rely on the shaky accuracy of Dark Void. Fake Out can create free turns for partners to setup set up or finish off a foe. Wide Guard can be used to stop common spread attacks such as Origin Pulse and Precipice Precicpice Blades.

Set Details
========

252 Speed EVs with a Timid nature allow Smeargle to be as fast as possible. 252 Defense Evs EVs allow Smeargle to live some weaker physical hits such as Mega Kangaskhan's Power-Up Punch on Kangaskhan. 252 HP EVs Evs should be used if Smeargle is running Transform, (AC) as its HP stays the same after it uses the move when you Transform. Focus Sash is used as because Smeargle cannot survive many attacks without it. Moody is chosen as the the preferred ability, (AC) as even though it can be unreliable, (AC) a single accuracy or Speed can boost can win a game.

Usage Tips
========

Smeargle is generally lead with to get immediate Dark Voids off. It is not good to switch Smeargle into attacks, (AC) as it is quite frail; (SC) it is reasonable, (AC) ok however, (AC) to switch Smeargle in on Ghost-type attacks or when after a partner has fainted. Using Spiky Shield on the first turn can be good if there is a Fake Out or Taunt user you can kill KO with a partner. Dark Void has a 36% (not a fan of mentioning percentages explicitly but it isnt wrong) chance of missing one target so it is better to make a different play if you don't have to take that risk.

Team Options
========

Almost any Pokemon with that can apply good offensive pressure appreciates Smeargle's support. Mega Kangaskhan is one of the best partners for Smeargle, (AC) as it provides Fake Out support while Smeargle can help it set up setup with Dark Void. Xerneas appreciates Dark Void to help it setup a set up Geomancy. Tailwind setters such as Crobat and Talonflame can setup set up Tailwind for Smeargle, (AC) which can allow it to get faster Dark Voids off. Partners with Quick Guard can be useful in stopping Prankster Taunts and Fake Outs, (AC) and they It also helps with Brave Bird from Talonflame.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Choice Scarf set can be used to get fast Dark Voids off; (SC) however, (AC) this makes Smeargle dead weight after it fires off a Dark Void and is really weak to Prankster Taunt. Helping Hand can be used to boost the power of Smeargle's partner's your partners attacks. Magic Coat is useful in stopping opposing Smeargles by bouncing back Dark Void. Smeargle can use Role Play on a Primal partner to reset their weather. King's Shield can punish physical attackers for attacking Smeargle you by lowering their Attack by two 2 stages. Wide Guard can be used to block common spread moves such as Precipice Blades and Origin Pulse. Crafty Shield can be used to block protect your team from opposing Taunt and Dark Void. Own Tempo can be used if you don't like having to risk the negative effects of Moody. A low level low-level Smeargle can be used to get really fast Dark Voids off under Trick Room. The low level This set also uses Endeavor for some offensive presence. Mental Herb can be used to make Smeargle immune to Taunt; (SC) this, (AC) however, (AC) makes Smeargle very easy to KO, (AC) kill as it does not have a Focus Sash.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Crobat**: Crobat can outspeed Smeargle and Taunt it. Crobat is also immune to Fake Out and often carries a Lum Berry. (period)

**Mega Kangaskhan** Mega Kangaskhan can KO Smeargle through it's its Focus Sash with Parental Bond, while also generally outspeeding it. (period)

**Status Prevention** Status prevention stops Smeargle from using Dark Void, (AC) which is what it Smeargle does best; (SC) some moves that do this are Taunt, Magic Coat, Substitute and Safeguard. Lum Berry can also be used to stop Dark Void but is a bit unreliable, (AC) as it has a one-time one time use. Mega Mewtwo Y in particular gets a mention here as it is faster than Choice Scarf Smeargle and is immune to Dark Void from its ability thanks to Insomnia. (period)

**Spread Attacks** Spread attacks make it easier to double target Smeargle, and they as you still will still do damage to its their partner (period)

1/2
implemented

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
amcheck comin' right up
add (AP = add period)
remove
comments

[OVERVIEW]

Smeargle is a centralizing Pokemon (pretty sure that's the word you forgot here?) in the VGC metagame due to its utility and ability to shut down both foes with Dark Void. It has an amazing support movepool that allows Pokemon such as Mega Kangaskhan and Xerneas to setup set up more easily. Dark Void, however, is the best support move Smeargle can learn and the main reason why you should use Smeargle. Moody can be very useful ability, as if Smeargle gets one Speed boost it becomes a huge threat firing off fast Dark Voids, so even faster foes will have trouble stopping it; however, a Speed drop allows the foes to easily outspeed and kill KO (idk why this was changed in the first place; maybe someone who's better at this than me can give a definitive answer) Smeargle. Smeargle also has horrible defenses and a bad Speed tier, which leaves it outsped and KOed by many Pokemon in the metagame. Smeargle's Speed tier also leaves it vulnerable to fast Taunt users.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dark Void puts both foes to sleep, which can allow Smeargle's partner to set up setup. Spiky Shield can stop incoming Fake Out or Taunt and damages foes using physical attacks targeting Smeargle who target Smeargle with physical attacks. Follow Me can redirect attacks away from Smeargle's partner, which is especially useful if its partner is setting up; furthermore, it is also Smeargle's most consistent option to support its team, as it doesn't have to rely on the shaky accuracy of Dark Void. Fake Out can create free turns for partners to set up or finish off a foe. Wide Guard can be used to stop common spread attacks such as Origin Pulse and Precipice Blades.

Set Details
========

252 Speed EVs with a Timid nature allow Smeargle to be as fast as possible. 252 Defense EVs allow Smeargle to live survive some weaker physical hits such as Mega Kangaskhan's Power-Up Punch. 252 HP EVs should be used if Smeargle is running Transform, as its HP stays the same after it uses the move. (AP) Focus Sash is used because Smeargle cannot survive many attacks without it. Moody is the preferred ability, as even though it can be unreliable, a single accuracy or Speed can boost can win a game.

Usage Tips
========

Smeargle is generally used as a lead to get immediate Dark Voids off. It is not good to switch Smeargle into attacks, as it is quite frail; it is reasonable, however, to switch Smeargle in on Ghost-type attacks or after a partner has fainted. Using Spiky Shield on the first turn can be good if there is a Fake Out or Taunt user you can KO with a partner. Dark Void has a 36% chance of missing one target so it is better to make a different play if you don't have to take that risk.

Team Options
========

Almost any Pokemon that can apply good offensive pressure appreciates Smeargle's support. Mega Kangaskhan is one of the best partners for Smeargle, as it provides Fake Out support while Smeargle can help it set up with Dark Void. Xerneas appreciates Dark Void to help it set up Geomancy. Tailwind setters such as Crobat and Talonflame can set up Tailwind for Smeargle, which can allow it to get faster Dark Voids off. Partners with Quick Guard can be useful in stopping Prankster Taunt and Fake Out, and they also help with Brave Bird from Talonflame.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Choice Scarf set can be used to get fast Dark Voids off; however, this makes Smeargle dead weight after it fires off a Dark Void and is really weak to Prankster Taunt. Helping Hand can be used to boost the power of Smeargle's partner's attacks. Magic Coat is useful in stopping opposing Smeargle by bouncing back Dark Void. Smeargle can use Role Play on a Primal partner to reset their weather. King's Shield can punish physical attackers for attacking Smeargle by lowering their Attack by two stages. Wide Guard can be used to block common spread moves such as Precipice Blades and Origin Pulse. Crafty Shield can be used to protect your team from opposing Taunt and Dark Void. Own Tempo can be used if you don't like having to risk the negative effects of Moody. A low-level Smeargle can be used to get really fast Dark Voids off under Trick Room. This; this set also uses Endeavor for some offensive presence. Mental Herb can be used to make Smeargle immune to Taunt; this, however, makes Smeargle very easy to KO, as it does not have a Focus Sash. (this paragraph in general seems kind of monotonous because it's just a bunch of simple declarative sentences in a row but there's not really anything I can do about that)

Checks and Counters
===================

**Crobat**: Crobat can outspeed Smeargle and Taunt it. Crobat is also immune to Fake Out and often carries a Lum Berry.

**Mega Kangaskhan** Mega Kangaskhan can KO Smeargle through its Focus Sash with Parental Bond, while also generally outspeeding it.

**Status Prevention** Status prevention stops Smeargle from using Dark Void, which is what it does best; some moves that do this are Taunt, Magic Coat, Substitute and Safeguard. Lum Berry can also be used to stop Dark Void but is a bit unreliable, as it has a one-time use. Mega Mewtwo Y in particular is faster than Choice Scarf Smeargle and is immune to Dark Void thanks to Insomnia.

**Spread Attacks** Spread attacks make it easier to double target Smeargle, and they will still do damage to its their partner.

Last edited:

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Walrein: add remove comments
Me: add remove comments

[OVERVIEW]

Smeargle is a centralizing Pokemon (pretty sure that's the word you forgot here?) in the VGC metagame due to its utility and ability to shut down both foes with Dark Void. It has an amazing support movepool that allows Pokemon such as Mega Kangaskhan and Xerneas to setup set up more easily. Dark Void, however, is the best support move Smeargle can learn and the main reason why you should use Smeargle. Moody can be a very useful ability, as if Smeargle gets one Speed boost, (AC) it becomes a huge threat that can fire firing off a fast Dark Voids, so even faster foes will have trouble stopping it; however, a Speed drop allows the foes to easily outspeed and kill KO (idk why this was changed in the first place; maybe someone who's better at this than me can give a definitive answer) (Pokemon are KOed, not killed, in battle.) Smeargle. Smeargle also has horrible defenses and a bad Speed tier, which leaves it outsped and KOed by many Pokemon in the metagame. Smeargle's Speed tier also leaves it vulnerable to fast Taunt users.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dark Void puts both foes to sleep, which can allow Smeargle's partner to set up setup. Spiky Shield can stop incoming Fake Out or Taunt and damages foes using physical attacks targeting Smeargle that target Smeargle with physical attacks. (Good work on the prose, Walrein. However, don't use "who" to refer to a Pokemon.) Follow Me can redirect attacks away from Smeargle's partner, which is especially useful if its partner is setting up; furthermore, it is also Smeargle's most consistent option to support its team, as it doesn't have to rely on the shaky accuracy of Dark Void. Fake Out can create free turns for partners to set up or finish off a foe. Wide Guard can be used to stop common spread attacks such as Origin Pulse and Precipice Blades.

Set Details
========

252 Speed EVs with a Timid nature allow Smeargle to be as fast as possible. 252 Defense EVs allow Smeargle to live survive some weaker physical hits such as Mega Kangaskhan's Power-Up Punch. 252 HP EVs should be used if Smeargle is running Transform, as its HP stays the same after it uses the move. (AP) Focus Sash is used because Smeargle cannot survive many attacks without it. Moody is the preferred ability, as even though it can be unreliable, a single accuracy or Speed can boost can win a game.

Usage Tips
========

Smeargle is generally used as a lead to get off an immediate Dark Voids off. It is not good to switch Smeargle into attacks, as it is quite frail; it is reasonable, however, to switch Smeargle in on Ghost-type attacks or after a partner has fainted. Using Spiky Shield on the first turn can be good if there is a Fake Out or Taunt user you that Smeargle's partner can KO with a partner. Dark Void has a 36% chance of missing one target, (AC) so it is better to make a different play if you don't have to take that risk.

Team Options
========

Almost any Pokemon that can apply good offensive pressure appreciates Smeargle's support. Mega Kangaskhan is one of the best partners for Smeargle, as it provides Fake Out support while Smeargle can help it set up with Dark Void. Xerneas appreciates Dark Void to help it set up Geomancy. Tailwind setters such as Crobat and Talonflame can set up Tailwind for Smeargle, which can allow it to get a faster Dark Voids off. Partners with Quick Guard can be useful in stopping Prankster Taunt and Fake Out, and they also help with Brave Bird from Talonflame.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Choice Scarf set can be used to get a fast Dark Voids off; however, this makes Smeargle dead weight after it fires off a Dark Void and is really weak to Prankster Taunt. Helping Hand can be used to boost the power of Smeargle's partner's attacks. Magic Coat is useful in stopping opposing Smeargle by bouncing back Dark Void. Smeargle can use Role Play on a Primal partner to reset their weather. King's Shield can punish physical attackers for attacking Smeargle by lowering their Attack by two stages. Wide Guard can be used to block common spread moves such as Precipice Blades and Origin Pulse. Crafty Shield can be used to protect your team from opposing Taunt and Dark Void. Own Tempo can be used if you don't like having to risk the negative effects of Moody. A low-level Smeargle can be used to get a really fast Dark Voids off under Trick Room. This; this set also uses Endeavor for some offensive presence. Mental Herb can be used to make Smeargle immune to Taunt; this, however, makes Smeargle very easy to KO, as it does not have a Focus Sash. (this paragraph in general seems kind of monotonous because it's just a bunch of simple declarative sentences in a row but there's not really anything I can do about that) (That's kinda what Other Options is supposed to be–a list of other possibilities and why you'd use them.)

Checks and Counters
===================

**Crobat**: Crobat can outspeed Smeargle and Taunt it. Crobat is also immune to flinching from Fake Out and often carries a Lum Berry, nullifying sleep from Dark Void.

**Mega Kangaskhan**: (colon) Mega Kangaskhan can outspeed Smeargle and OHKO it Smeargle through its Focus Sash with thanks to Parental Bond, while also generally outspeeding it.

**Status Prevention**: (colon) Status prevention stops Smeargle from using Dark Void, which is what it does best; some moves that do this are Taunt, Magic Coat, Substitute, (AC) and Safeguard. Lum Berry can also be used to stop Dark Void but is a bit unreliable, as it has a one-time use. Mega Mewtwo Y in particular is faster than Choice Scarf Smeargle and is immune to Dark Void thanks to Insomnia.

**Spread Attacks**: (colon) Spread attacks make it easier to double target Smeargle, and they will still do damage to its their partner.
There's some good stuff here, Walrein. Just two things to remember:
  1. "You" is used to refer to the player. In Usage Tips, you, the player, are not KOing a Fake Out or Taunt user.
  2. Keep the close details in mind, and make sure they're clear to the reader. For example, Crobat is immune to flinching, not Fake Out itself, and Parental Bond does not directly KO Smeargle.
  3. Smogon uses the serial comma. "X, Y, and Z," not "X, Y and Z."
I'm just happy that you took my advice! You've got a future here.
GP 2/2

Mishimono

mish mish
Walrein: add remove comments
Me: add remove comments

[OVERVIEW]

Smeargle is a centralizing Pokemon in the VGC metagame due to its utility and ability to shut down both foes with Dark Void. It has an amazing support movepool that allows Pokemon such as Mega Kangaskhan and Xerneas to set up more easily. Dark Void, however, is the best support move Smeargle can learn and the main reason why you should use Smeargle. Moody can be a very useful ability, as if Smeargle gets one Speed boost, (AC) it becomes a huge threat that can fire off a fast Dark Void, so even faster foes will have trouble stopping it; however, a Speed drop allows foes to easily outspeed and KO Smeargle. Smeargle also has horrible defenses and a bad Speed tier, which leaves it outsped and KOed by many Pokemon in the metagame. Smeargle's Speed tier also leaves it vulnerable to fast Taunt users.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dark Void puts both foes to sleep, which can allow Smeargle's partner to set up. Spiky Shield can stop incoming Fake Out or Taunt and damages foes that target Smeargle with physical attacks. Follow Me can redirect attacks away from Smeargle's partner, which is especially useful if its partner is setting up; furthermore, it is also Smeargle's most consistent option to support its team, as it doesn't have to rely on the shaky accuracy of Dark Void. Fake Out can create free turns for partners to set up or finish off a foe. Wide Guard can be used to stop common spread attacks such as Origin Pulse and Precipice Blades.

Set Details
========

252 Speed EVs with a Timid nature allow Smeargle to be as fast as possible. 252 Defense EVs allow Smeargle to survive some weaker physical hits such as Mega Kangaskhan's Power-Up Punch. 252 HP EVs should be used if Smeargle is running Transform, as its HP stays the same after it uses the move. Focus Sash is used because Smeargle cannot survive many attacks without it. Moody is the preferred ability, as even though it can be unreliable, a single accuracy or Speed can boost can win a game.

Usage Tips
========

Smeargle is generally used as a lead to get off an immediate Dark Void. It is not good to switch Smeargle into attacks, as it is quite frail; it is reasonable, however, to switch Smeargle in on Ghost-type attacks or after a partner has fainted. Using Spiky Shield on the first turn can be good if there is a Fake Out or Taunt user that Smeargle's partner can KO. Dark Void has a 36% chance of missing one target, so it is better to make a different play if you don't have to take that risk.

Team Options
========

Almost any Pokemon that can apply good offensive pressure appreciates Smeargle's support. Mega Kangaskhan is one of the best partners for Smeargle, as it provides Fake Out support while Smeargle can help it set up with Dark Void. Xerneas appreciates Dark Void to help it set up Geomancy. Tailwind setters such as Crobat and Talonflame can set up Tailwind for Smeargle, which can allow it to get a faster Dark Void off. Partners with Quick Guard can be useful in stopping Prankster Taunt and Fake Out, and they also help with Brave Bird from Talonflame.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Choice Scarf set can be used to get a fast Dark Voids off; however, this makes Smeargle dead weight after it fires off a Dark Void and is really weak to Prankster Taunt. Helping Hand can be used to boost the power of Smeargle's partner's attacks. Magic Coat is useful in stopping opposing Smeargle by bouncing back Dark Void. Smeargle can use Role Play on a Primal partner to reset their weather. King's Shield can punish physical attackers for attacking Smeargle by lowering their Attack by two stages. Wide Guard can be used to block common spread moves such as Precipice Blades and Origin Pulse. Crafty Shield can be used to protect your team from opposing Taunt and Dark Void. Own Tempo can be used if you don't like having to risk the negative effects of Moody. A low-level Smeargle can be used to get a really fast Dark Void off under Trick Room; this set also uses Endeavor for some offensive presence. Mental Herb can be used to make Smeargle immune to Taunt; this, however, makes Smeargle very easy to KO, as it does not have a Focus Sash.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Mega Kangaskhan**: Mega Kangaskhan can outspeed Smeargle and OHKO it through its Focus Sash thanks to Parental Bond

**Status Prevention**: Status prevention stops Smeargle from using Dark Void, which is what it does best; some moves that do this are Taunt, Magic Coat, Substitute, (AC) and Safeguard. Lum Berry can also be used to stop Dark Void but is a bit unreliable, as it has a one-time use. Mega Mewtwo Y in particular is faster than Choice Scarf Smeargle and is immune to Dark Void thanks to Insomnia.

**Spread Attacks**: Spread attacks make it easier to double target Smeargle, and they will still do damage to its partner.
There's some good stuff here, Walrein. Just two things to remember:
  1. "You" is used to refer to the player. In Usage Tips, you, the player, are not KOing a Fake Out or Taunt user.
  2. Keep the close details in mind, and make sure they're clear to the reader. For example, Crobat is immune to flinching, not Fake Out itself, and Parental Bond does not directly KO Smeargle.
  3. Smogon uses the serial comma. "X, Y, and Z," not "X, Y and Z."
I'm just happy that you took my advice! You've got a future here.
GP 2/2
implemented

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)