Smeargle's Studio General Thread: Spriting and Banners go here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@shstakvchlvr These are actually really cute and the purple and yellow go really well with each other. The second evo's tails remind me of Cincinno a bit and your lines seem fine to me.

@Bd4uf Your sprites are really smudgy and a lot of parts look like they put in without proper fusing. I also see detached antennas on your Bug/Dragons and many of your scratched parts don't fit well either, just drawn on without proper shading. My advice is to study sprites and sprite fusions more so you can get an idea of spriting.

@raikou00 What a lovely piece. I don't know if it's a sig or not but the overall graphic is well colored and a really nice touch with the flowers in the background. Also, the text goes well with the overall effect.

@shstakvchlvr These are actually really cute and the purple and yellow go really well with each other. The second evo's tails remind me of Cincinno a bit and your lines seem fine to me.

@Bd4uf Your sprites are really smudgy and a lot of parts look like they put in without proper fusing. I also see detached antennas on your Bug/Dragons and many of your scratched parts don't fit well either, just drawn on without proper shading. My advice is to study sprites and sprite fusions more so you can get an idea of spriting.

@raikou00 What a lovely piece. I don't know if it's a sig or not but the overall graphic is well colored and a really nice touch with the flowers in the background. Also, the text goes well with the overall effect.
Thanks! is a signature

Dinasaurdan they're really nice, the colouring is great, but one tip I have would be to be a bt more inventive and maybe add on a bit more stuff from the spliced mons. For example Milduck could look cool with Miltank's feet or similar black markings.
They're still a great start though, and good luck wih your spriting ;)

Guys, I have a request. I'd like a banner made for my team in the Orange Islands tournament. The name of the team is Team SteelSeed, our colours are Green and Silver, and our mascots are Venasaur and Lucario, but if you want to include Ferroseed in there somewhere, feel free.

If you are unsure of which Green and which Silver to use, go with the ones on Ferroseed for it. Creatively, I will leave the design up to you because I'm the worst at visual art and I have no idea. If anyone can answer this request this would be much appreciated. If you'd like to do additional work (like additional promotional pictures and stuff) I'd be ok with that too, but those are optional extras.

OK I finally finished the full evolution line, but I'll probably make some more edits later.

Pulsat, Pulshrew, Pulsarush

Pulsarush (Electric-type)
80 / 115 / 80 / 116 / 70 / 110
Ability: Exterminated (causes opponent to become badly poisoned when user faints)
Hidden ability: Poison Heal

Notable moves: Swords Dance, Baton Pass, Wild Charge, Ice Fang, Fire Fang, Leaf Blade, Gunk Shot, Superpower, Focus Punch, Acrobatics, Aqua Tail, Thunderbolt, Grass Knot, Air Slash, Sludge Bomb, Encore, Gastro Acid, Acid Spray, Taunt, Clear Smog.

Those are great sprites, but there are other aspects which bug me. It looks more normal/poison than electric, and looks too much like Pikachu. Also, aren't those stats a bit overpowered for a rat, just saying.

Of course, those are my only problems. The sprite itself is shaded perfectly and is well designed.

It's meant to be the electric rodent line of my fakedex, so that explains the similarities to the other electric rodents (albeit Plusle and Minun look much more like Pikachu). The difference between Raichu's stats and Pulsarush's, for example, is comparable to that of Fearow's and Staraptor's (two initial bird Pokemon), so it's really not too overpowered despite its classification as the electric rat.

In terms of Stat Rating it's "above average" which puts it in with Gorebyss, Vespiquen (according to Base Stat Ratings equations I found on the forum). The only boosting move it has is SD and its movepool won't allow it to really sweep, so I don't see it as being OP at all.

In terms of the Poison thing, I wanted it to be similar to Breloom in that it isn't a Poison type but it has Poison qualities. I don't really see Normal since it's yellow, but I guess everyone sees things differently. Stunfisk doesn't have any electric appearance except for a few yellow marks but it's still an Electric-type, so who knows.

Thanks, though, for the compliments on the shading. I'm gonna keep practicing and hopefully it'll start to look better!

Its BST is too high for a non-pseudo-legendary but I digress. Eagle is right about it not looking Electric. I would suggest adding electric current to the sprite, maybe on the tail, to make it look like a legitimate Electric-type. Also its eyes are a bit too simplistic, they have no detail

I guess I could knock down the Atk and SpA 10 pts, and I agree about the eyes. I had the most trouble with them but can't really figure out what to do.

Shstakvchlvir, if there's one thing I'd suggest, is to add another colour to it. So far you have just yellow and purple, but most pokemon come with colours of three.

red/yellow/greyishbrown
white/blue/black
grey/green/brown

First of all I'd like to say that I appreciate the feedback and usually I try to take it into consideration when developing a final product (as you can see from the first Pulshrew to the second), but I disagree with what some of you are saying about the design. However, I am going to add whiskers with some kind of electric flair to the final design.

If Jynx had never existed and I were to draw it now and say, "This is an Ice/Psychic Pokemon," you would probably say something along the lines of, "Well it doesn't look like an Ice-type at all but I can maybe see Psychic. Put Psychic as the primary type then add some icicles and snowflakes so you can tell it's an Ice-type Pokemon." Yet Jynx is still primarily an Ice-type Pokemon.

Or if I presented Beartic to you as a non-GF designed Poke you might say, "That Pokemon has only one color whereas most have three. Please add two more colors and maybe some more ice details so it will look like Pokemon."

That is to say that you only base what Pokemon "should" look like on the Pokemon you know. It's like saying that someone you know named Melissa doesn't "look like a Melissa." It doesn't make sense in terms of logic just as you can't put every Pokemon created into a little box. This is the design I envisioned and this is the design I produced.

I'm glad someone didn't make the person who designed Jynx add icicles everywhere and I'm glad Beartic only has one color.

I'm making a fangame (using Pokemon Essentials, so no Roms were harmed) and one of the main features is that most pokemon will get at least one recolored alternate form that will generally have an alternate typing. These are the ones I've made so far. Suggestions or sprites for others are greatly appreciated and will be considered, credit will be given if I use someone else's sprite (please note that there are no shinies, though the shiny sprite can act as inspiration). The main concern is Flavor, not competitive viability.

Posted
Bulbasaur Line - Grass/Ground
Charizard Line - Fire/Dragon
Squirtle Line - Water/Steel
Butterfree Line - Bug/Psychic
Pidgey Line - Fire/Flying
Rattata Line - Normal/Poison
Spearow Line - Electric/Flying
Zubat Line - Dark/Flying
Tentacool Line - Water/Electric
Shelder Line - Water/Rock
Porygon Line (yellow) - Electric/Psychic
Porygon Line (blue) - Dark/Steel
Zigzagoon Line - Normal/Dark
Sunkern Line - Grass/Fire
Cacturne Line - Grass/ Ground
Absol - Dark/Ice
Pacharisu - Electric/Normal
Boldore Line - Rock/Ice
Shelmet Line - Bug/Ghost
Druddigon - Dragon/Rock
Planned
Yanma Line- Bug/Dragon
Flygon Line - Ground/Bug -> Dragon/Bug
Snivy Line - Grass/Dragon
Gyrados Line - Water/Dragon
Axew Line - Dragon/Steel
Ninjask - Bug/Dark
Shinx Line - Electric/Dark
Gothita Line - Psychic/Dark
Plusle - Electric/Psychic
Minun - Electric/Dark
Volbeat & Illumise - Bug/Electric
Farfetch'd - Grass/Flying
Starly Line - Fighting/Flying
Gligar Line - Flying/ Poison
Piplup Line - Water/Ice
Mudkip Line - Water/Poison
Meinshao Line - Psychic/Fighting
Stoutland Line - Normal/Ground
Considering
Beedrill - Bug/Dark, Bug/Fighting
Metagross - Steel/Ground, steel/Dark
Emboar- Fire/Ground
Reuniclus - Psychic/Poison, Psychic/Water
Altaria - Grass/Flying, Ice/Flying, Electric/Flying
Torkoal - Fire/Poison, Fire/Rock, Fire/Ice
Samurott - Water/Ice, Water/Rock, Water/Fighting, Water/Steel
Feraligator - Water/Dark, Water/Fighting, Water/Dragon
Onix - Rock/Dragon
Steelix - Steel/Dragon
Krookodile - water/dark
Dragonite - Dragon/Water, Dragon/ Electric, Dragon/Psychic
Scolipede - Bug/ Ground, Bug/Steel, Bug/Dark
Deoxys - Multitype
Crawdaunt - Water/Steel
Typhlosion - Fire/Ground, Fire/Dark
Sceptile - Grass/Dragon, Grass/ Fighting
Weezing - Poison/Fire, Poison/Water, Poison/Ice
Shedinja - Bug/Ground, Bug/Ice
Ninetails - Fire/Ghost, Fire/Psychic, Fire/Psychic
Electrivire - Electric/Dark, Electric/Fighting
Sandslash - Ground/Steel, Ground/Poison
Will not Retype
Wormadam
Cherrim
Rotom
Eeveelutions
Castform
Legendaries
Unown
Wingull

First of all I'd like to say that I appreciate the feedback and usually I try to take it into consideration when developing a final product (as you can see from the first Pulshrew to the second), but I disagree with what some of you are saying about the design. However, I am going to add whiskers with some kind of electric flair to the final design.

If Jynx had never existed and I were to draw it now and say, "This is an Ice/Psychic Pokemon," you would probably say something along the lines of, "Well it doesn't look like an Ice-type at all but I can maybe see Psychic. Put Psychic as the primary type then add some icicles and snowflakes so you can tell it's an Ice-type Pokemon." Yet Jynx is still primarily an Ice-type Pokemon.

Or if I presented Beartic to you as a non-GF designed Poke you might say, "That Pokemon has only one color whereas most have three. Please add two more colors and maybe some more ice details so it will look like Pokemon."

That is to say that you only base what Pokemon "should" look like on the Pokemon you know. It's like saying that someone you know named Melissa doesn't "look like a Melissa." It doesn't make sense in terms of logic just as you can't put every Pokemon created into a little box. This is the design I envisioned and this is the design I produced.

I'm glad someone didn't make the person who designed Jynx add icicles everywhere and I'm glad Beartic only has one color.
Not bad, you're quite the clever spriter. I agree with most of the things you say.
However I have to add on some comments about your sprites.

- (middle evo) I've really never seen a pokemon stand from that angle. THat's almost symmetrical of the sprite.

- It unfortunately does look a little Poison-type, and it's not just the purple - features count.
The final evo has three sharp spiny tentacles for tails. That's a good sign of Poison right there.
You might want to change it so that it helps further your Electric-typing; I won't tell you what, but remember not to make it like Pikachu.

- The eyes are quite small. If you refer to Rajaion Tagami's convenient sprite sheet (excellent job, by the way), you'll find that most of the pokemon have larger eyes than yours.
Even if they are small, they're shaped in a way that would spell out an emotion (e.g. Absol, who has a sagely and cynical gaze; Spearow, bright and confident).
That's the problem - I can't really find an emotion in your Pokemon. Change the pupils or make the eyes larger.

That's all for now. Otherwise, keep it up - you're on the way to being a great spriter.

EDIT: Zacchaeus: because I have no revamping experience, I'm sitting back too and waiting for some awesome guy who can do the job.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I suppose I'll take that challenge, ICC. (It's procrastination, really. :P)

Zacchaeus: Yes, I can.

Colors from B/W Golbat and Lickitung (for tongue). I'm not sure how my style translates to the intended creepiness of the original; I kept those eyes and saliva droplets and everything that makes my sense of anatomy cringe, but I touched up some of the irregular outlines and shading.

I don't know if it would be allowed to copy and paste DW Art and just recolour them, but if so, then yes. We wouldn't want this thread to get clogged up with the same topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)