1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Smeargle's Studio: 'To do' list Bluff

Discussion in 'Inside Poop - April Fool's Day 2011' started by Alchemator, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Alchemator

Alchemator my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Ok so falling in line with the discussion Doug and I had on IRC last night, I'm basically going to use this bluff to put myself in absolute power in Smeargle's Studio. Once I'm there I can convince all of the artists to sign over their work so we can sell them to John Sykes (the guy who's making the Pokémon book being published by these guys later in the year, you all know already how much this deal could get him) to solve this server cost problem. I spoke to chaos recently and he said that the server costs him 1,000 Venezuelan bolivares fuertes (that's where it's hosted) per month, which is pretty extortionate. He's ran out of money and he needs other sources of income, legal or not, to fuel it. So I suggest this. Please comment if you think you can help.

I'm talking about running it smoothly and so we don't get uncovered. It could be pretty hairy.

Here's the OP I'll be posting later today:
    These are basically the biggest organisations in the studio. I'm going to lure Dogfish44 into heading the WSC, but in the end I'll be the puppetmaster there. I'm going to do the same with wickdaggler and the MAC. Ultimately I plan to combine the MAC and the Smog Art Contest, which puts greater reliance on me, giving me more power.

Once all of these have been achieved, I'm just going to bend the rules and get rid of any problematic characters like teddyman13. The idea submission part is simply to make them feel like they have power when really they don't. It's an idea that reachzero suggested to me, thanks bro!

So I'll start PMing artists later in the month and get them to sign over some good work, and then we're in the money!

Unless of course you have any objections, which is why I posted this. Ask away!
  2. cim

cim happiness is such hard work
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

What? Doug said absolutely nothing about this. He said that someone should do it, but he by no means meant you. You're just a project mod, why not get Aragornbird to do it? He's more famous.

I think you'll find it's "bolívares fuertes".

This is simply not true. He's making a decent sum of money already from the royalties he charges for using the name "Smogon".

Overall I just find this idea far too risky for such a little reward. You say the book deal is big, but I checked the website - that's a tiny publisher that I haven't heard of and that means nobody will have heard of it. Step aside and let me do my work, selling the Smogcast will get so much more money than this, and it won't be as illegal as conning people out of their artwork. I even have the Smogcast Foundation charity number registered.
  3. DM

DM Ce soir, on va danser.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

Is this a fucking joke? I can't believe the site has stooped to this level. I find the monetization effort to be abhorrent and wish you would all take just a few moments to step WAY the fuck back and think about how bad you're screwing up. This is a Pokemon fan site and you're really advocating stealing people's artwork to further line chaos's pockets? Moderator compensation has already been reduced to nearly nothing and now this? You people are all fucking idiots.
  4. Alchemator

Doug did say it...

[20:11:57] <&DougJustDoug> I really like the art selling idea. The ethics of the operation don't sit particularly well with me, but as they say "desperate times call for desperate measures". I think Alchemator is probably the best candidate for heading it up. The other moderators, though I obviously respect Cyzir and the others, I think are too distant.

He even pulled out that log for me (darn mibbit) so I don't know what you're going on about.

It's a Pokémon fan site that nobody wants to see go down, so we need to do this. Anyway this isn't the place to talk about Pay Day. You should be speaking to chaos himself if you disagree, and make a donation while you're there.
  5. Fatecrashers

Fatecrashers acta est fabula
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

this thread makes me speechless
  6. Umbreon Dan

Umbreon Dan 〉λ=
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

fatecrashers not showing his fear
  7. Yilx

Yilx Sad
    is an Artistis a Smogon IRC AOP

Please consider this Fatecrashers, the more the merrier.

A deal is a deal... here's a Clefairy that I did specifically for this. I'll do more later if I can...

[​IMG]
  8. Alchemator

I know this is a bit late but for Yilx and anybody else's notice you should be emailing them straight to John Sykes at his email - jsykespokepedia@gmail.com - because we've already negotiated payment and he's expecting emails from multiple people. If you have any questions I'm sure he'd be willing to answer them. To all the people who oppose(d) this well sucks to be you because we've got a good proportion of money already and nobody is any the wiser.

Also if you want you can check out his blog and his profile if you want to be a stalker.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)