Smeargle's Studio: 'To do' list

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So I have a bit more time on my hands (though not a lot) so I resolved to try and make this place as good as possible. I had some ideas, but I still think there is room for improvement - this is where you come in. If you have an idea as to how to make Smeargle's Studio better, whether it be some kind of project or thread or some form of policy reform it can be discussed here and (if it's suitable) I will take it to those higher up to see what can be done about it.

Note: This thread will remain as a sticky for one week, at which point it will be locked [16th Feb]. There may however be threads similar to this in the future.

Ideas

1. Weekly Spriting Contest - Since I handed it over nothing has happened with this, which disappoints me. I aim to kickstart this and if you have problems with that, take it up in one of the many monthly reviews that I'm having. If you're really against it though, why didn't you jump in to save it? Thank'ee. DONE
  2. Monthly Art Contest - I'm not sure what's going on with this at the moment, I'll chase up Bucky about it.
  3. The Smog Art Contest - This relates to an article which I hope to have included in The Smog. It will run in a similar fashion to the MAC, with the top three (maybe more depending on number of entries) being featured in The Smog. More details to come later.
  4. Clear rules of what is acceptable and what is not - I hope to have the rule against necro'ing enforced more often, and make sure that all know what is acceptable in the Studio and what kinds of threads are suitable for other forums. These differing opinions have been shown recently with threads being moved. PRETTY MUCH DONE
  5. Smogon Collection - A project that involves creating art (either fine art or very detailed pixel art) for all 649 Pokemon. Suggested by chocolate-kipp
I probably won't be able to run these projects by myself, so if you'd like to lend a helping hand just shoot me a PM and I'll find you a way to help out :)

Remember, submit your own ideas too!

~Alch

Maybe a collaboration of all the artists of Smeargle's Studio drawing/making pixel art of every Pokemon? We probably don't have 649 artists, but...I dunno. It probably wouldn't happen but I think it would be pretty cool.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
numbers 2 and 3 on that list sound really similar, why not just combine the two

yeah people necroing threads is really annoying, especially if that artist hasnt been active in months, we need to enforce this more often

also i dont know if one person commenting on 10 different threads within the span of 10 minutes is acceptable? is this considered flooding or something?

i think music and writing threads could possibly go in smeargle studio too, but if the whole place develops into a fanfiction forum then fuck off

Maybe a collaboration of all the artists of Smeargle's Studio drawing/making pixel art of every Pokemon? We probably don't have 649 artists, but...I dunno. It probably wouldn't happen but I think it would be pretty cool.
am i wrong or does this sound like project amethyst or the platinum retype project

Alchemator

I actually quite like this idea, but I think there would be some who would contribute a lot more than others in different stages of the project (e.g. Amethyst). I'll add it to the list though and iron out the kinks when I come to it if I still think that it's suitable.

E: Ninja Fate.

numbers 2 and 3 on that list sound really similar, why not just combine the two

There have been MAC Highlights articles in previous issues, but I'd like one specifically for The Smog. They could in theory both happen at the same time, though practically I don't see that happening.

yeah people necroing threads is really annoying, especially if that artist hasnt been active in months, we need to enforce this more often

also i dont know if one person commenting on 10 different threads within the span of 10 minutes is acceptable? is this considered flooding or something?

I think it's highly dependent on context. Generally intentions are good, but random posts that don't add anything to the topic shouldn't really be acceptable. Most 'conversation' posts should probably be saved for VMs and PMs. I'm not sure that there's even a rule against this though, I'll look it up.

i think music and writing threads could possibly go in smeargle studio too, but if the whole place develops into a fanfiction forum then fuck off

Agreed.

am i wrong or does this sound like project amethyst or the platinum retype project

I think kip is suggesting more on the art side of things rather than the sprite side of things. Pixel art as she mentions here I believe refers to Wyverii-esque pixel art, which is vastly different from anything that Amethyst produces. As for the supposed likeness to the platinum retype project, I don't see much that compares them other than their being projects.

If your trying to revive the Weekly Spriting Contest, why don't you start by judging everything you haven't yet?
Also, should we nominate someone new or something to run it (as SDS has none nothing even close to running it)?

Alchemator

If your trying to revive the Weekly Spriting Contest, why don't you start by judging everything you haven't yet?
Also, should we nominate someone new or something to run it (as SDS has none nothing even close to running it)?
The last few weeks weren't very organised at all. Clean slate is the way to go I think - a new megathread too.

I was thinking of running it, at least until it's on its feet again. Unless you really don't want me to, in which case you run it. I'm tired of people complaining and then doing nothing themselves.

Also I think I'm violating the flooding rule proposed by Fatecrashers !_!
Just kidding, I think this is a good example of a situation in which it would be acceptable - dealing with new content.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I am very for idea 3, I think the an art-specific section of the Smog is a really great idea.

I'd also be happy to help on any projects/changes decide on (that are within my abilities, of course). :)

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Smeargle's Studio Guidelines said:
* Artists should not bump their own art threads with trivial comments or content. Meaningful updates or commentary are always welcome. But do not make trivial posts simply to get your thread bumped to the top of the forum.

* Try not to flood the forum with comments about every single art thread. It's fine to voice your appreciation, but don't overdo it.
yeah these two rules i guess was what i was referring too
do 'conversation' posts count as trivial comments?
or maybe it's time to update the guidelines?

Alchemator

I think that the guidelines could use an update. The last time they were updated was when the second rule you quoted was added. I remember reading that debate.

Do conversation posts count as trivial comments - yes, but not when used in moderation. As much as I want to promote critique I don't want the nice, relaxed atmosphere os the Studio to fade so the occasional informal post or two should be absolutely fine. However, when there's a good majority of the page filled with conversation I think action should be taken in the same way that other forums treat irrelevant posts.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
Wow, we've reached 50000 posts in this forum! Anyways...

Weekly Spriting Contest
The last time the WSC was active, the threads cluttered up the front page. However the board moves a lot faster now, so it may not be a problem as long as contests are promptly locked after they are completed. Also having it bi-weekly may be a good idea.

Monthly Art Contest
I miss this. It should definitely be resumed. Having more than one leader for this contest is probably the best way to go so that things can be consistently updated.

The Smog Art Contest
Good idea!

Clear rules of what is acceptable and what is not
Will work on this. I firmly believe that written works do not belong here as visual art and literature are completely different things. Same thing goes for music. Animations and movies are fine since those are visual.

Smogon Collection
I wouldn't start this right now or any time soon. At least wait until the summer when people actually have time.

Alchemator

The WSC moved to a megathred a while back, so - while the polls will still clutter slightly - I don't think that's much of a problem.

I think the main problem with disallowing other forms of art (considered to still be art by popular opinion) is where such threads would go otherwise. As I expressed in the Project New Island thread (which is what really prompted me to include this issue in the list) I really don't think that a forum is the place for these kinds of threads. It's not fun when trolls come and derail your thread and insult your work when you've put arguably more creativity and the same level of effort into it as one might into a piece of fine art.

While I respect your opinion on the matter aragornbird, I will be fighting tooth and nail to keep writing threads here in Smeargle's Studio.

I dunno, but I think the way that anybody can just make a thread may be a little flawed. There are a lot of threads that are made, used for a week or two, and are then dumped. I'm a perfect example of this. I made a thread, posted some pics for maybe 2 weeks, then stopped. It gets kinda bad when there are 5 new threads a week, and then only a few of them are kept going for more than a month. I don't know a solution for this, maybe an application process for making a thread or something? I don't know what would work, or if this is really only a personal problem.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
I don't think inactive threads are a problem, they just drop off the first page and enter the recesses of Smeargle's Studio. Meanwhile the active one stay bumped on the first page, simple.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
The WSC moved to a megathred a while back, so - while the polls will still clutter slightly - I don't think that's much of a problem.

I think the main problem with disallowing other forms of art (considered to still be art by popular opinion) is where such threads would go otherwise. As I expressed in the Project New Island thread (which is what really prompted me to include this issue in the list) I really don't think that a forum is the place for these kinds of threads. It's not fun when trolls come and derail your thread and insult your work when you've put arguably more creativity and the same level of effort into it as one might into a piece of fine art.

While I respect your opinion on the matter aragornbird, I will be fighting tooth and nail to keep writing threads here in Smeargle's Studio.
If that's the case, then they should be kept in one thread similar to the Sprite thread. Maybe it will be stickied, but I'm not sure since there's already so many stickied threads. I'll probably unstick the "Retype a Pokemon" thread.

I dunno, but I think the way that anybody can just make a thread may be a little flawed. There are a lot of threads that are made, used for a week or two, and are then dumped. I'm a perfect example of this. I made a thread, posted some pics for maybe 2 weeks, then stopped. It gets kinda bad when there are 5 new threads a week, and then only a few of them are kept going for more than a month. I don't know a solution for this, maybe an application process for making a thread or something? I don't know what would work, or if this is really only a personal problem.
This isn't a problem. People can update their threads however often they want. If they become busy and stop posting for a while, they can always find it and post in it whenever they're ready. I'm a good example of this. An application process would be a ridiculous hassle and just isn't needed.

Necro'ing threads should definately be enforced more. It is always infuriating when you see a great thread bumped, think "Ooh, new art!" and see its some person posting "MASSIVE LULZ ITS ALL AWESUM I LUV heheheheheh"

I miss the comps. They die just as I get interested and enter (for the MAC) or want to enter (for the WSC)

And conversations/spam should be enforced i think, but often it can be resolved by the thread owner getting angry (in the case of my thread getting spammed with google images I got angry and threatened taking away requesting rights and it stopped) If the thread owner is participating though, it should be enforced. It is alright though if the posts are only a few, but half a page is just too much to bear.

Smogon Collection sounds fun, but I agree with aragornbird, lots of people have school etc. so maybe when lots of people have spare time or something. Definately I would love to be involved.

Also, this isn't really a Smeargle change, but maybe forums for writing etc. might work. Idk if I can suggest this but its just a thought.

Also, if there's anything I can do to help that wouldn't be too full on I'd love to see if I can.

I think inactive artists threads should be locked after a certain period of inactivity, if they want it reopened for whatever reason, they could just ask for it couldn't they? This would prevent a lot of people reviving long-dead threads. It might be a little hard to enforce though, Idunno. :/

it'd stop necrobumps yeah, but it'd be a tad annoying having to wait for your thread to be unlocked to post an update for the artists. idk it's a double-edged sword.

I agree with TEA_DEMON. Necrobumping should be stopped, but locking threads would just make things inconvenient and annoying for everyone involved.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
If necrobumps are such a problem then I guess the mods here could always delete the offending posts, I know that used to happen in Firebot but I don't know if it's applicable here...

Also I could help with the art contests if you need it.

Weekly Spriting Contest
This should seriously be revived. Me and a group of friends in the "Super Spriting Thread" were beginning to consider our own little awards and trophies for amazing sprites, creative artwork, etc. If this is coming back, however, I would definetley want to help keep it running. I've been busy with school, but I could definetley make time to help out in any way necessary, whether it be judging, submitting, etc.

Monthly Art Contest
This as well, must be revived. Many people have missed out and forgotten the power and beauty of the artistic side of Smogon. As I stated above, I would LOVE to help out with this in any way possible.

The Smog Art Contest
Ahh, The Smog A.C. I always enjoy seeing these when I read the smog, but it seems to have slowed down a bit, which is why I hope we can get this running again.

Clear rules of what is acceptable and what is not
This should definetley be considered, although from what I've seen, it hasn't been to much of an issue. The necros need to stop though.

Smogon Collection
This sounds like a wonderful idea, actually. Kudos to Kipp for coming up with this. Sureley we couldn't get several hundred spriters, but look at the potential within the studio! Surely we could make it happen!
Edit: As for the Writing side of things, it would probably be best to have a sticky "Slowking's Corner" for stories and poetry, while I hope this doesn't become involved with horrific fan-fics.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
OK, I'm so happy Alchemator posted something like this. I've had this idea in my head in a while.

Smeargle's Museum

The basic idea behind the Smeargle's Museum is to showcase some work of every artist that has a thread or has contributed to Smogon at any point in the past however many years Smeargle's Studio has been around.

What it would be? - Basically, it would ideally be a sticky that combined the WSC and MAC Hall of Fames, and consisted of works of art from every artist that has ever contributed to Smogon. It would be set up as every artist has their own post in the Museum thread with works of art either they have chosen to be put in there (if they are active), or that whoever is running the Museum (ideally me) feels are their best works of art from inactive artists.

How would it work? - In theory, there would be no posting in the thread. It would simply be a Museum where you would go to appreciate the works of art, and leave.

Who would run it? - I would be honored to run it, but if and when I leave Smogon, someone else would have to upkeep it.

What would be the point of it? - It would allow us to move all of the old threads of inactive artists to the Thread Cryonics, clearing up the forum. It would also combine the Hall of Fames into one, creating overall one less sticky in the forum. It would also allow people to appreciate works of art without having to travel through 30 pages of old threads.

I can expand upon this more, but I'm running out of time. Thoughts?

Alchemator

If that's the case, then they should be kept in one thread similar to the Sprite thread. Maybe it will be stickied, but I'm not sure since there's already so many stickied threads. I'll probably unstick the "Retype a Pokemon" thread.
I think just stickying the current 'community' writing thread would suffice - it's basically being treated like the other megathreads.

Also, this isn't really a Smeargle change, but maybe forums for writing etc. might work. Idk if I can suggest this but its just a thought.
A forum for writing has been suggested many, many times and the conclusion has been that there is too little demand for an entire forum (even a sub-forum) to be created. I agree with that sentiment.

i will host wsc if needed
I'm happy with you judging, but I won't let you run it until you prove yourself.

I think inactive artists threads should be locked after a certain period of inactivity, if they want it reopened for whatever reason, they could just ask for it couldn't they? This would prevent a lot of people reviving long-dead threads. It might be a little hard to enforce though, Idunno. :/
I would prefer the offender to simply be warned rather than bringing in complicated systems like this.

Smeargle's Museum
I had an idea like this previously, but I'm not sure if it would work in terms of keeping everything updated and having fleeting people posting mediocre art and then disappearing - it would require a lot of moderation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)