Smogon 2013 Fantasy Baseball Thread

We're gonna make an entirely separate thread this year to try and get more interest than in the past couple two years, and so we can discuss settings without clogging up the actual thread. If you're interested, feel free to post!

Confirmed (or assumed from last year):
BiGGiE
Stallion
Disposable Puppets
pookar
ButteredToast
drcossack
Dubulous
Novaray
Cook is God
Texas Cloverleaf
Jackal (sux)
moi
Lakers
kaps

spots not confirmed

Current Scoring Statistics and Play Style

Last year, we ran roto. The problem with that was that it got really, really stale when you get so far behind instantly. I know Stallion didn't like it before hand either, so this is up in the air.

As scoring statistics, we ran AVG, OPS, HR, RBI, Run, SB, W, QS, S, ERA, K, WHIP. I think these are a bit more up in the air. I'd be fine with doing H+S over S, and we get redundant stat doubling with AVG/OPS, W/QS, so I feel as if we have a better way to organise it. We also had a weekly innings limit to stop bullpen usage over starters to win ERA+WHIP easily, but again, we can change things.

Dubulous

I look just like Buddy Holly.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I wasn't in the league last year but I am definitely interested in playing this year. As for the format I'd prefer head-to-head but I've never done a roto league before so I'd be willing if that's what others prefer.

Personally I'd do Avg, H, HR, Runs, RBI, OPS, SB, then W, L, ERA, K's, S, WHIP
These are the general categories that standard fantasy uses but they can kinda suck (triple counting hits would be kinda bad, and it should be six and six)

W/L are really awful... entirely a function of team play - it'd be fine to use one for the sake of not straying too far from normal fantasy (we used W) last year, but both is just overkill, and completely undervalues good players imo.

One thing I actually saw that I wouldn't mind on yahoo is Net Save + Holds, as in (S+H)-BS. Would people be okay with that? It values all relievers relatively equally and adds an emphasis on efficiency of bulk of opportunity.

Questioning: would people be opposed to breaking up OPS into OBP, then running OBP SLG Runs RBI HR SB? Average directly relates into OBP, and now incorporates more players that can get solid OBPs (but now lowers the values of pure contact hitters who didn't walk much). Dunno, up to the people.

Personally I'd go:

AVG, OPS, Runs, HR, RBI, SB

and

Wins, Innings Pitched, Strikeouts, ERA, Whip, Net Saves + Holds

But I'd be fine with the same as last year

pookar

Banned deucer.
i really like the categories chosen. I wouldnt remove any. However adding some that dont overlap might be cool. or replacing saves with net saves/holds

I'm in if you people will have me again. ^_^

Anything I need to do to resign up? Like a league code or something? Just let me know. :)

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
How about having QS as a pitching stat? Wins are the worst, poor Cliff Lee...
Yes. I don't think he'll have a repeat of last year though, provided the team doesn't suck (well, they will), but last year's categories are fine by me.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ill make sure only to set it when I play you. I already explained why I didnt set it this week.

old men stop bickering please :3

to add some content into this post, so for now, we're at AVG OPS Runs RBI SB Hr for hitting and W QS WHIP ERA K Net Save + Holds for pitching.

We haven't really mentioned much for roto outside of slight head to head preference, are we set to going back for H2H?

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'm not fussed, roto means that the best team almost always wins (hehe) but it also means that I had the reason wrapped up somewhat early. Head to head has more drama, but one injury in playoffs can fuck up your entire season.

Head to head is fine if people actually can last through a 162 game season. If there are people who drop out the first 2 months and the rest of the season is riddled with a bunch of freebee gimme matches, then what's the point?

My vote goes to roto, but if people are commited to not pooping out on us before the trade deadline, then I'm fine with head to head...

I love baseball and would love to be in on a league

Let me know if there's space still available. Most of my friends in real life aren't as excited for baseball as I am unfortunately, and most likely would never be able to pay attention for an entire season. . .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)