Smogon API

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any sort of api into the smogon database? I was considering making a web version of Shoddy/Pokemon Lab because frankly Java == the suckz, but I'm also too lazy to reimplement the vast amounts of information already on shoddy.

In short, help me to help all of us :>

And if there isn't an api, is there anyway I could sweet talk you guys into creating one?

For read access of the database :>. I want to be able to, say, make a call to:

http://api.smogon.com?pokemon="infernape"&moveset="Special MixApe"

and get a JSON representation of that moveset, so I can then load it into the web app.

In this way, I can leverage the wealth of information on smogon and quickly get into the space of writing the web app (so we can get battling in environments without Java, mobile phones for instance).

I, at least, think it could be pretty spiffy.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In this way, I can leverage the wealth of information on smogon and quickly get into the space of writing the web app (so we can get battling in environments without Java, mobile phones for instance).
If you're working on a web battle simulator, supporting Smogon movesets out of the box is a pretty low priority thing when you compare it to the million other things it takes to make such a project work.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I agree with CIM on this one. If you intend to build a full web-based battle simulator, or even build a web-based client to one of the existing sims, you have a great deal of work ahead of you before you need to worry about getting Smogon sets into the mix.

With that said, if you are really interested in getting JSON representations for Smogon movesets, then look at the implementation of the Damage Calculator. I made all the Smogon movesets publicly available in JSON format. Cathy even uses them for her Shoddy team builder. Everything you need is already available.

Well, I used movesets as an example, but I was hoping to have access to all the pokemon related stuff (base stats, move lists, move base-powers & effects, etc, etc) After that, all I really need to do is implement a way for the information to flow together and hard-code in the damage formula and stat formulas.

The more daunting task in creating a web-based battle sim is the research. But if it's already available, awesome :>.

EDIT: Woooooow, Doug, did you seriously reimplement all of that information in your javascript or did you pull it from a database somewhere? That's insane, man. See, that's the sort of work I'm trying to leap-frog, if at all possible. To be frank, if I have to translate all the information that I know is somewhere in a database (either here or Serebii or elsewhere) I'm probably not going to do the sim. If I do do it, you can be sure I'm totally going to set up an api.

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This has all the information regarding pokedex data that you will ever need. In fact, it's where nearly every site gets data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)