1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Smogon Awards 2006: Revenge of the Nerds

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by DM, May 14, 2006.

1. DM

DM Ce soir, on va danser.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

Hello Smogoners one and all. The idea was kicked around earlier about reviving the Smogon Awards, since it has been half a year since we last had them. After a lengthy discussion, I decided to take the reins on the project, and so I present to you this thread.
    READ EVERYTHING BELOW HERE BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING

Ok here is how it works, there will be 5 nominees for each category. You send me a private message nominating 3 people for each category, (self-nominations are not allowed). The nominations will be open for a week. Out of all who receive nominations for a category, the top 5 will be the official nominees. It is pretty simple. After the nomination process has finished, I will post the categories and the final nominees. PM me once again at that point with your final vote for each category. The voting will last a week, whereupon I will announce the winners. So thats about all there is to it. So here are the categories:

edit: there are no standards to go by, just go by your own opinion.

Best RBY Battler
    Best GSC Battler
    Best RS Battler
    Best Overall Battler
    Nicest Person
    Meanest Person
    Best Netbattle Mod
    Best Netbattle Newcomer
    Best #Smogon Op
    Best #Smogon Newcomer
    Wittiest Poster
    Best Thread
    Best Poster
    Coolest Person That Doesn't Come Here Anymore
    Most Annoying Person
    Best Overall Smogoner
    Coolest Noob Poster

Some last tips:
    1. I reserve the right to disregard a nomination if I believe you are just trolling my PM inbox, i.e. nominating chaos for Coolest noob or something like that.
    2. If you don't have any idea who to nominate for a category because you have no experience in it (i.e. myself and Netbattle) then don't just randomly put names in, that defeats the purpose.

Ok go.

NOMINATIONS

Okay, before I post these, I just wanted to let you all know how incredibly close many of these categories were, sometimes it was toss-up between up to 10 people until the very last minute. This has resulted in categories having more than 5 nominees, because I felt there was no way I could justify choosing one name over another when they were tied.

Also, because of the diversity of the nominations not all of these categories ended up with 5 nominees that all got 5 nominations, sometimes a name made the list with 4. So if you're thinking to yourself, "I should have gotten nominated for that!" or "Why isn't so-and-so on that list?" you probably did, and he/she probably is.

EDITED OUTN GIGANTOFUCK LIST

LADIES AND GENTS, THE WINNERS

Wow, this was fun to do. The votes for a couple categories were incredibly close, even coming down to the very last PM I received. Of course, that PM also tied a category up, so you can see how close these races were. The category for #Smogon Op had 7 names, and each got at least 2 votes. Even the homsar/natalie category was only 2 votes apart.

Best RBY Battler
    __Hipmonlee__

Best GSC Battler
    __VIL__

Best RS Battler
    __chaos__

Best Overall Battler
    __VIL__

Nicest Person
    __Hipmonlee__

Meanest Person
    __Hazerider__

Best Netbattle Mod
    __Hazerider__

Best Netbattle Newcomer
    __natalie__

Best #Smogon Op - TIE
    __Steelicks__
    __geeK__

Best #Smogon Newcomer
    __DoomMullet__
    no I didn't rig it there are people that like me :(

Wittiest Poster
    __Articuno64

Best Thread
    __Huckleberry chaos__

Best Poster - TIE
    __Hipmonlee__
    __Dweedle__

Coolest Person That Doesn't Come Here Anymore
    __FM__

Most Annoying Person
    __BLJ__

Best Overall Smogoner
    __chaos__

Coolest Noob Poster
    __Glen__
  2. Zero

Zero

"Coolest Person That Doesn't Come Here Anymore"

Would fm count for that? He said he was taking a vacation but hasn't been back.
  3. The.Lost.Hylian

The.Lost.Hylian I'll have what you're drinking
    is a Researcher Alumnus

Where is "Fattest Poster"
  4. Roy

Roy sux
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

no only cool people qualify for that zero
  5. The.Lost.Hylian

The.Lost.Hylian I'll have what you're drinking
    is a Researcher Alumnus

Roy, your avatar reminds me of Diglett, though I'm pretty sure its from RO.
  6. skarm

skarm I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

It reminds me of a giant semi-flaccid penis.
  7. meddle

meddle
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

roy's avatar hijacked the thread
  8. Basics

Basics

like my penis hijacked your mom
  9. david stone

david stone Fast-moving, smart, sexy and alarming.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Ack, I don't think I can be considered a newbie anymore, so I'm not going to win any of those! And how was Warthog a newb?
  10. chaos

chaos
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
    Owner

He was back then ;/
  11. Kikuichimonji

Kikuichimonji

Three nominees for each category is a limit, not a requirement, correct?
  12. david stone

david stone Fast-moving, smart, sexy and alarming.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Not from my perspective of like 2 months or whatever back then. He's been around for like what, a year and a half now? I'm pushing 8 months or osmething.
  13. Vineon

Vineon Fleurdelysé
    is a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

I think best netbattle newcomer and coolest noob may ressemble each other a little too much.
  14. Kongler

Kongler
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

it reminds me of the ekans toss minigame in stadium.
  15. Shiv

Shiv mostly harmless
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

I could win the #Smogon newcomer, lol!
  16. Kumar

Kumar
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Thats a Hode from RO.
    PS: Please vote for me in every catergory.. Please.
  17. DM

That explains why it's sticky now.
  18. DM

For those of you too lazy to scroll back up, I want you to know I updated the original post with the following:

Some last tips:
    1. I reserve the right to disregard a nomination if I believe you are just trolling my PM inbox, i.e. nominating chaos for Coolest noob or something like that.
    2. If you don't have any idea who to nominate for a category because you have no experience in it (i.e. myself and Netbattle) then don't just randomly put names in, that defeats the purpose.

correct

Coolest Noob should relate to these message boards, I'll go back and clarify that.
  19. skarm

skarm I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Shit.
  20. Jumpman16

Jumpman16 np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

i think we should have a category for blackest pokemoner so chaos and noobster and gk could run but then i would win because they would be DQed
  21. Dweedle

Dweedle
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

i'm black where it counts
  22. skarm

skarm I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS

You have a large ass?
  23. Siphai

Siphai

I think he's referring to his nose.
  24. Dweedle

Dweedle
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

i got soul niggas
  25. dynamo

dynamo

Do we have to put 3 for each category, or is 1 or 2 people okay?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)