Smogon Awards Nominations Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Some of my picks, and why

In the interest of discussion, I'll mention some of the people I voted for, and why. Despite the fact that I voted for only one person in each category, I'll go through the trouble of recommending two more for each here, when more than one stands out to me.

Best OU Battler-Earthworm (imperfectluck, Gouki)
He's still the guy I would bet on to win any one game in Standard, regardless of the opponent. Innovative and ingenious, almost to the point of "gimmicky".
Best UU Battler-Twist of Fate (I have no idea who else)
With ToF retiring from Pokemon, and LonelyNess not very active in UU at the moment, anyone who claims to know who will claim this title going forward is a liar.
Best Ubers Battler-Jibaku (Mind, Theorymon)
Nearly as innovative as Theorymon but not quite as gimmicky, one of the hardest players to beat in a single game in their chosen tier. Almost single-handedly re-popularized Ubers stall when many of us had given up on its viability. (Mind and Jibaku are both much better at Ubers than I am, btw!)
Best Tournament Player-Earthworm (panamaxis, Gouki)
No one is ever surprised when he wins a tournament. It's not luck.
Best Ladder Player-imperfectluck (Krack, panamaxis)
I have no idea how he wins with that team he uses, yet he's always at or near the top of the ladder somehow.
Most Influential Player-Theorymon (LonelyNess, JabbaTheGriffin)
Still shapes the Ubers metagame more than any other player shapes any other metagame.
Most Gimmicky Player-imperfectluck (Theorymon, TAY)
With apologies to Theorymon, IPL's use of Rest Spiritomb with Pursuit and Curse is pretty ridiculous.
Biggest Upset (This can be a person or a situation in general)-Atticus defeating the Smogon Frontier. (Oceania coming from behind to beat Asia on the strength of Earthworm)
Biggest upset ever. Okay, so it was a relatively weak lineup of Brains. Beating the frontier isn't supposed to happen, especially when the player in question is a relatively unheralded player.
Best Overall Battler-Earthworm (panamaxis, Gouki)
A massively threatening player in every metagame (except Little Cup and CAP?).
Nicest User-Haunter (Legacy Raider, RB Golbat)
A slam dunk. Haunter sets the standard for politeness, courtesy and professionalism. A truly model user.
Wittiest Poster-cookie (I don't really have a clear second, so whatever)
I do not always read Firebot....but when I do, I always notice cookie!
Most Helpful Poster-Haunter (X-Act, RB Golbat)
Smogon's nicest moderator is one of the most genuinely helpful people you could ever hope to find.
Most Improved User-Heysup (Err...that's all I have)
It's been a long time since he has said anything really ridiculous or annoying, and his posting quality is way up.
Most Overlooked User-Misty
My favorite admin, and probably the one you remember last when you try to list the admins.
Most Approachable User-RB Golbat (Haunter, darkie)
A genuinely good guy who loves to answer questions and help out.
Best Debater-ColinJF (Tangerine, DougJustDoug)
One of the most logically consistent individuals I've ever met, he is more than capable of arguing you into a rhetorical corner.
Best Discussion Sparker-Theorymon (Tangerine, aldaron)
Love him or hate him, everyone has an opinion, and for good reason.
Most Influential User-Tangerine (Jumpman16, ColinJF)
Pound-for-pound, no one gets more out of their status on the site. I'd be willing to bet that eight out of ten Smogon newbies believe that Tangerine is an admin.
Best Overall IRC User-ColinJF (august, Theorymon)
I didn't like him back in the Official Server days. I think he's great now. IRC is the reason.
Best Overall Smogoner-DougJustDoug (Tangerine, Theorymon)
No one does more for Smogon. Plus, the April Fool's prank was one for the ages.
Best Stark Poster-Haunter (Legacy Raider, Lemmiwinks MkII)
Best Thread of 2009-Hax in Pokemon Battles
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52050
Best Trou Thread of 2009-"Borderline"
The fact that it was apparently written seriously....
Best Post of 2009-http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpos...05&postcount=1
Best Overall Poster-DougJustDoug
When was the last time you saw a bad DJD post? Yeah, thought so.
Best Shoddy Mod-imperfectluck
He's consistently on, and he consistently kicks the bad guys. That's a good mod in my book.
Best Warstory-http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53649
Best Non official Tournament-The Late Night Tournament (The Reverse Tournament, Team Trials II)
Best Contributor-Theorymon
Ubers, Ubers, Ubers
Best Team Rater-Legacy Raider
Consistent greatness

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hehe reach nominates me for most gimmicky...hey it's only a gimmick until it becomes popular =P

And for the record I decided that relicanth just doesn't work in Ubers

Best OU Battler- Earthworm- an OU player who plays consistently and whom I never beaten. He also uses some of the most gimmicky movesets and Pokemon that always seem to work well versus other players. He also impressed me in World Cup finals vs Husk.

Best UU Battler- Eo Ut Mortus- a guy who I have seen to be consistently high on the UU leaderboard.

Best Tournament Player- Husk- He ruined a lot of our 2009 world cup dreams...

Best Ladder Player- Imperfectluck.- I've seen him on top so many times..

Most Influential Player- Loki- Oh man... when I was a wee.. tiny boy.. I had posters of this man

Most Gimmicky Player- Theorymon- This is a guy who always tries to think of something strange..

Biggest Upset- Atticus beating Smogon Frontier- I never thought anyone would beat the brains.. and secretly hoped Atticus failed =o.

Best Overall Battler- Panamaxis- A player who is continuing to rise. Even in a team disadvantage, he finds a way to win or pull close.

Meanest User- Tangerine- I still remember the infraction he gave me when I was very naive...

Best Non official Tournament- Late Night Tournament, one and only where even the 'average' player can make it on top.

Best Researcher- DougJustDoug- Doing long Pokemon statistics and CAP projects just for us...

Best Contributor- Theorymon- Oh boy.. his analysis are long and good..

Fabbles

LN_Slayer
is a Contributor Alumnus
Best OU Battler
- Imperfectluck, Husk (IPL has been the most consistent this gen, while Husk's heroics in World Cup do not go unnoticed)
Best UU Battler
- Loki, ToF, reachzero (No one has really established themselves as UU elite, and Loki is one of the best players all around)
Best Ubers Battler
- Jibaku, reachzero (Jibaku has been a constant Uber force, while reach has established himself this year)
Best Tournament Player
- Imperfectluck, Earthworm, Loki (IPL is just too good on the big stage)
Best Ladder Player
- Imperfectluck (Shouldn't have to explain this)
Most Influential Player
- Loki, Theorymon (Loki is the best overall player, so I personally and I am sure others look at what he is doing)
Most Gimmicky Player
- Theorymon (Shouldn't have to explain this)
Best Overall Battler
- Loki (Whether it be during the Smogon Tours or whatever, Loki has clearly put himself above the rest when it comes to how good he is at each tier. As of now I can't really even find a challenger.)

My opinions for some categories are listed below. I'll refrain from tackling battling / some other categories I have little to no experience in:

Nicest User - Serv / Xia
For Serv, an explanation is insufficient. Go talk to him and see for yourself. Xia is also another candidate for Nicest User, being extremely polite in most, if not all, situations I've communicated with him. Maybe panamaxis too, as he's been awfully patient with me! Malfunction's real nice as well. God, I can't decide...

Best Thread of 2009 - I Found a Dumb Guy

<ImperialXT> You can get my ip if you go to this website
[Sat Aug 29 2009] [22:51:55] <ImperialXT> http://whatismyip.com
[Sat Aug 29 2009] [22:52:03] <ImperialXT> That will tell you my ip
[Sat Aug 29 2009] [22:52:20] <ImperialXT> post it in here
[Sat Aug 29 2009] [22:52:23] <ImperialXT> and i will confirm it
[Sat Aug 29 2009] [22:52:26] <ImperialXT> for you
[Sat Aug 29 2009] [22:52:27] <ImperialXT> if you want
[Sat Aug 29 2009] [22:52:28] <rahahm33> ***.***.***.***
[Sat Aug 29 2009] [22:53:07] <ImperialXT> Thanks for giving me your ip
[Sat Aug 29 2009] [22:53:07] <rahahm33> that is your ip?
[Sat Aug 29 2009] [22:53:07] <ImperialXT> lo0l
[Sat Aug 29 2009] [22:53:11] <ImperialXT> yes
[Sat Aug 29 2009] [22:53:15] <ImperialXT> that's my ip

[Sat Aug 29 2009] [22:54:02] <rahahm33> you will getbanned
[Sat Aug 29 2009] [22:59:06] <rahahm33> my web site says 403 forbidden
[Sat Aug 29 2009] [22:59:10] <rahahm33> you hacked it
Best Trou Thread of 2009 - Future Team Raters
your first OU team and no skarmory or blissey?? what is wrong with you

ok we can fix this, drop your lead for a blissey and drop scizor for skarmory
you should win alot more matches like this
Best Post of 2009 - Legacy Raider's "Rating Basics"
In this post, Legacy Raider explains the basics of rating a team in a simple yet effective manner. I'm not a RMT enthusiast myself, but this post alone serves as a great introduction to the RMT forum and should be used as a basis for new and motivated team raters. Plus, everything is just worded professionally.

Best Forum Mod - Colonel M / Haunter
Colonel M may be new as a C&C moderator, but he's already doing a fantastic job of uploading edits onto the site, something that I believe was never done quickly enough before he possessed C&C moderating powers. And then there's Haunter, who works incredibly to lock most of the nonsensical RMTs that make the RMT section unbelievably messy. Both of these are doing their duties extremely well, more outstandingly than a selection of other candidates, in my opinion.

Best Writer - Arseus
If you haven't observed one of Arseus' writings yet, please do. In an attempt to review four of his recent In-Game articles and spot mistakes, I was left amazed at how few errors were found in them. His use of varying sentence structure and unique and intricate vocabulary choices that seem to surpass those of most other writers make him *the* candidate for Best Writer.

Most Promising New User - Dark Talon
Many have stated that Dark Talon will have a "bright future at Smogon", and I cannot agree more. I thought a guide to entry hazards would be dull and tedious, but it was not so, as Dark Talon proved that he can write and write well.

Best Contributor - mingot
In the process of selecting a candidate for Best Contributor, many people seem to forget mingot. mingot's rise to fame began through his essential research that serves as the very foundations of WiFi today. Since then he has HTMLized oh-so-many guides for In-Game and has written some articles detailing the complexities of the RNG whose scientific distinction I cannot praise enough. Go mingot!

Those are my opinions so far.

The SPrinkLer

Banned deucer.
Reachzero-I didn't like him back in the Official Server days. I think he's great now. IRC is the reason.

Same here, and I only have 1 nomination: Earthworm for all the battling ones, except UU and Uber. I'm not sure about those.

I merely felt like posting my choice as part of my contribution to the community! I may have been selective in my posting though, I don't want to be flamed to death :o

Battling

Best OU Player
Earthworm / Imperfectluck
Best Tournament Player
Earthworm
Best Ladder Player
Imperfectluck
Most Influential Player
Panamaxis
Best Overall Battler
Earthworm

Community

Nicest User
Giant Enemy Crab / Legacy Raider
Meanest User
Stalefish - always waaay too harsh about anybody's RMT when posting -.-
Wittiest Poster
Cookie
Most Helpful User
Dougjustdoug
Most Overlooked User
Zak91
Most Approachable User
Reyscarface
Most Promising New User
Sprinkles
Best Debater
Stathakis
Most Influential User
Earthworm / Tangerine

Forums

Best Firebot Poster
Cookie
Best Thread of 2009
RMT Archive - maybe not technically a thread? I just really liked the concept and I think many have found it a very useful resource.
Best Post of 2009
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpos...5&postcount=13
Best Forum Mod
Haunter

Contributions

Most Promising New User
sprinkles
Best Warstory
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53649
Best Non official Tournament
Forgotten OU Tournie
Best Contributor
Legacy Raider
Best Artist
Rocket Grunt
Best Team Rater
Stathakis

So here were my nominations of the fields in which I actually have expertise and could make up my mind. Don't flame me, bro!

[NOMINATION]
Best Ubers Battler - Jibaku, reachzero
Both of them have deep knowledge of metagame and expert piloting skills that show in every battle they play.

Most Influential Player - Jibaku
Because of Jibaku, we see a Forry/Bliss/Giratina-O in every other team. He basically almost killed off Classical (not modern) Stall with his Rising from the Storms Team.

Most Gimmicky Player - Theorymon
Once on #Ubers, he told me he once ran Iron Ball Gengar* just to remove Toxic Spikes. Also the only guy I know who has the balls to use a Froslass as an Ubers Anti-lead.

*Theory told me to emphasize that this was for use on joke teams only...but still, he gets my nomination.

Meanest User - Akuchi
Seeing as we have a history, to be oblique, this nomination is not surprising.

Best Writer - Theorymon
Although Theorymon's analyses are incredibly long, they are also incredibly informative.

Most Promising New User - Sprinkles
To put it succintly, he's wise beyond his post count.

Theorymon
Once on #Ubers, he told me he once ran Iron Ball Gengar just to remove Toxic Spikes.
I did a triple-take trying to get my head around that. Now I'm in the corner, quietly trippin'.... O.o

I did a triple-take trying to get my head around that. Now I'm in the corner, quietly trippin'.... O.o
Theorymon told me to add as an addendum that he only uses this on joke teams. But yes, it's true, and Jibaku can confirm it.

Best OU Battler
Earthworm, Gouki, Husk
..I am better than all three though, of course.

Best UU Battler
ImperfectLuck, Twist of Fate
Both players impressed me in the tour. ToF still sucks in general though.

Best Ubers Battler
Jibaku, Theorymon
I have no Ubers knowledge, this is based on reputation alone.

Best Tournament Player
Earthworm, Panamaxis, Husk
World Cup. Fuck you Husk.

Best Ladder Player
ImperfectLuck, Krack
Only cause I don't ladder, obviously.

Most Influential Player
N/A

Most Gimmicky Player
Aeroblacktyl
I don't understand this man's teams at all. Make a normal team for once.

Biggest Upset (This can be a person or a situation in general)
Atticus Destroying the Frontier
Fucking Duh555. That's supposed to be my trophy! Beast.

Best Overall Battler
Gouki, Earthworm, ImperfectLuck
..and Philip7086

Nicest User
Shiki (Jumpluff), Earthworm
Makes me want to go to Australia. Warau will do, though.

Meanest User
Tangermean
Quit arguing with me ass.

Wittiest Poster
N/A
I do not frequent social forums on Smogon, so I don't see many of these.

Most Helpful Poster
N/A
I am a self-made man.

Most Improved User
N/A
Everybody still sux.

Most Overlooked User
SilentEcho
Quit lurking. Also, probably most underrated battler on Smogon. Too bad he still sucks compared to me.

Most Approachable User
Blue Kirby
Thank god. I'd hate to have an unapproachable head tutor.

Most Intimidating User
N/A
Just like Earthworm, I have Clear Body

Best Mafia Game
N/A
Fuck Mafia spam on xat.

Best Mafia Player
GF Guru, Romeo Just Die, Light-Kun
Fuck Mafia spam on xat.

Best Debater
Tangerine, Blame Game
Sucks cause I often disagree with what they say.

Best Discussion Sparker
#Stark Crew
Da best.

Most Influential User
Jumpman16, ColinJF, Aeolus
Too much power.

Best Overall IRC User
Aldaron, August, Theorymon
Da best.

Best Overall Smogoner
N/A
Philip7086

Best Congregation Poster
N/A

Best Firebot Poster
N/A

Best Stark/Policy Review Poster
Aldaron, RB Golbat, Jumpman16
Only cause I usually agree with them. Except Jump, whose posts are too long for me to bother reading.

Best Wifi User
YoungKnight92, Slowbrosbro
Da best.

Best Thread of 2009
N/A

Best Trou Thread of 2009
N/A

Best Post of 2009
N/A

Best Overall Poster
N/A
Philip7086

Best Shoddy Mod
N/A
It's been too long...

Best Forum Mod
TAY
Bro mod.

Best Writer
N/A
You all write too much.

Most Promising New User
Theorymon
I still believe he hacked Smogon to change his join date to January 2009.
Edit: Also DCJ. Most promising newb.

Best Warstory
N/A
Not a fan of Warstories.

The Ultimate Cup, Team Trials II
Unfortunately the two tournaments I failed at.

Best Researcher
ColinJF, Obi, Mingot
Give me a Researcher's badge please. It's the best looking one, hands down.

Best Contributor
N/A
Too many good contributors to decide. Your work is appreciated, thank you.

Best Artist
Aragornbird, Mysteriousfellow, CyzirVisheen
For this, this, and this. (Also, I didn't realize until now that Mysteriousfellow was banned. Can someone PM me why he was banned? I'm just curious)
Edit: I would also like to give a nod to Pirka, who slipped my mind at the time of my submission.

Best Team Rater
August, Tab
Gud rates.

Best Editor
N/A

Forgotten OU Tournie
Well, first of all - thanks!

The reasoning for this post though is that I didn't get something - what makes a tournament official? Do you need approval from the tournament staff to make it official, or does it need to be something big like the ST5?

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The only official tournaments are Smogon Tournament / Smogon Tour / Smogon Frontier

Tangeredit: And the World Cup

Well, first of all - thanks!

The reasoning for this post though is that I didn't get something - what makes a tournament official? Do you need approval from the tournament staff to make it official, or does it need to be something big like the ST5?
I am pretty sure that the reason that the three official tournaments are official is that they are set up, run and supported by the Smogon staff, whereas all other tournaments are set up and run merely by the community, with no (as far as I can see) Smogon Management endorsement.

Oh and by the way, the reason I loved the Forgotten OU Tournament was that it had a simple concept, which both worked and was topical (considering how much people were complaining about typical OU top 6 teams at the time (and still are -.-)), it produced interesting battles and teams, and you started it up at just 200 posts! I wish I'd had to courage to do something like that so early in ^^

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
my 2 cents.

Meanest User

Haunter
:pirate:

Best Discussion Sparker

Heysup

Best Post of 2009

Doug's empoleon post

Best Researcher

ColinJF

Best Contributor

theorymon

Best Artist

wyverii

Best Team Rater

dormin and bloo

This isn't the first time I've said this, we need a most improved player award.

Earthworm for best player, reach for nicest.

Best UU Battler: Eo Ut Mortus, IPL, HeYsUp

Best Ubers Battler: Theorymon, Mind, Jibaku

Most Approachable User: MetaNite

Best Artist: Rocket Grunt, Cartoons, Wyverii

Best Tournament Player - Reachzero, Earthworm

Best Contributor - Theorymon, X-Act, LR

Best OU Battler - IPL, Husk, Panamaxis

Best Overall Battler - Earthworm, IPL, DarkLucario

Best Ladder Player - Krack, Kevin Garett, IPL

Best Contributor - X-Act, Jumpman16, Theorymon

Most Helpful User - RB-Golbat, Jumpman16, Theorymon

Best Team Rater - Haunter, Bloo

[NOMINATION]
Most Influential Player - Veteran in Love, Loki, goofball
Best Overall Battler - Veteran in Love, goofball, loki, husk
Nicest User - jumpluff, Synre, Hipmonlee
Meanest User - tangerine, CaptKirby, justin####
Wittiest Poster - cookie, glen, foreys
Most Helpful Poster - MATAMATO
Most Improved User - shiv
Most Overlooked User - no clue
Most Approachable User - loki, megatron, teifu
Most Intimidating User - huh
Best Mafia Player - im the best
Best Debater - CaptKirby, Colin, Tangerine
Best Discussion Sparker - Vineon, MEGATRON
Most Influential User - chaos
Best Overall IRC User - chaos, carl, matamato,
Best Overall Smogoner - chaos

2 lazy to do anymore

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It's nice that many of you guys are posting your nominations here (this is where you would make your nominations public and discuss them) - but note that it's not going to be counted unless you PM it in.

Although I haven't finished my nominations, I just wanna say that nominating anyone besides Mingot or Wild eep for best researcher would be silly. These two people alone, with their research, have changed wi-fi forever, allowing anyone to get any pokemon with the IVs they want.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Although I haven't finished my nominations, I just wanna say that nominating anyone besides Mingot or Wild eep for best researcher would be silly. These two people alone, with their research, have changed wi-fi forever, allowing anyone to get any pokemon with the IVs they want.
Which makes me wonder why Best Researcher was introduced only this year. :pirate:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)