Smogon Community VGC YouTube Channel: Who's up for it?

Do you want a Smogon VGC YouTube Channel?

• No

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • Yes

Votes: 69 90.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally think this would be a great idea, usually it's so tedious to find VGC videos on youtube but with this it would be a lot easier to watch battles since they'll all be in one place.

Admiral Kuzan

formerly MavsObbession
I think you should wait for Firestorm before you decide anything! I know he's been working with Smogon YouTube.
Yeah, you're right, but the SmogonU YouTube channel doesn't really focus on VGC. I'm waiting for the authority to show up anyway. I just wanted to throw out an idea for Smogon VGC players.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think Smogon has its own Youtube channel, so whoever has control over that (symphonyx64, Firestorm, etc not actually sure since locopoke was banned), should probably upload the videos.

Admiral Kuzan

formerly MavsObbession
I think Smogon has its own Youtube channel, so whoever has control over that (symphonyx64, Firestorm, etc not actually sure since locopoke was banned), should probably upload the videos.
That's true, but they don't really focus on the VGC metagame. The SmogonU YouTube channel, focuses on other tiers such as OU, UU, Ubers, etc. That's why I thought a Smogon VGC channel would be a GREAT idea; it only focuses on one metagame.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, I could talk to whoever the lead is for SmogonU and see if they'd be okay with the amount of video content being produced out of this community finding a home on our YouTube channel. Otherwise we'll see if there's a need for our own SmogonVGC channel. Will get back to this.

Admiral Kuzan

formerly MavsObbession
Well, I could talk to whoever the lead is for SmogonU and see if they'd be okay with the amount of video content being produced out of this community finding a home on our YouTube channel. Otherwise we'll see if there's a need for our own SmogonVGC channel. Will get back to this.
SmogonU usually upload videos of tiers like Ubers, OU, etc. They very rarely upload VGC videos.

If this is primarily focusing on the fact that rarely used tiers are being pinpointed for revolution in terms of raising awareness, I'm all for it, since the media is the first place people look to for new information, and if hundreds upon thousands of people like them are looking at it and/or using this new information, mainstream psyochology says they'll do so as well.

tl dr; nice idea.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'll post once I've talked to them. They're not online right now. HOLD YER HORSES PEOPLE!

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
i like this idea. it would certainly make finding great vgc footage easy, and i'm going to need that when the time comes for me to complete Pokemon VGC Project 2012

selfless promotion ~ (or is it selfish promotion?)

But seriously, i really like this idea. Dozz pretty much said the other half of what i was going to post.

I'm down for this as well. If you guys have seen my video's. I can narrate as well, I think this is an amazing idea. Another thing I would like to see on that is cross division battles via wifi, let's say like Cybertron vs Human or something of that sort. It'd be really cool. Who says you have to use your team for Nats, you can make one on the fly if you can RNG or have someone that can. :P But I am totally for this idea.

Dimsun

VGC 2012 Seniors Champion
I'm down for this as well. If you guys have seen my video's. I can narrate as well, I think this is an amazing idea. Another thing I would like to see on that is cross division battles via wifi, let's say like Cybertron vs Human or something of that sort. It'd be really cool. Who says you have to use your team for Nats, you can make one on the fly if you can RNG or have someone that can. :P But I am totally for this idea.
Actually, if someone got the footage together, I have a nice enough mic that I could narrate as well. I also agree with cross division matches showing up, it's always good to see how different playstyles might be.

In addition to cross division matches, I would say that we should go for cross region matches as well. While the Americas and Europe have similar metagames, East Asia has a bit of uniqueness that could bring a nice spark to the channel (however, how you go about contacting them is past me.)

Of course, a snazzy introduction alongside unprecedented quality are also needed. With the amount of manpower available I'm sure we can get some amazing videos up whether it be on the SmogonU channel or something completely new as long as this project is kept organized.

Just a suggestion with how you should go about this - take your time. All the excitement and willingness to help can make it seem like the sooner this is done, the better. While there is truth to this, make sure to remember quality > quantity, especially with the first couple videos so that a high standard is established.

If there is anything I can do to help, let me know. Best of luck!

Well just to get things clear.....Can the community submit videos under the VGC rules of the current season?
Also a few ideas
Battle of the week
Team Analysis <Tips>
Rate My Team

Good idea!

I would love to be a part of the Smogon Youtube channel. I agree with Dozz that this channel should have certain standards to enhance the appearance of our brand. From this thread, we should identify < 10 key contributors to have a Skype meeting to sort out the following points:

1. Subject matter: What will we cover? VGC, OU, UU, Analysis?.
2. Who will administer the youtube account
3. How often will the channel release videos
4. Who will make standard assets to use for visuals/audio for producers to share?
5. Strengths of video producers? Should we specialize in certain areas? (Writing, video editing, music)

I'd like to be a contributor. If we don't use copyrighted materials, we could set up this account to make ad revenue. That money could be used to sponsor a Smogon tournament winner to go to a VGC event. We would have to build up a lot of viewers to make this happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)