CAP 2 Smogon "Create a Pokemon" Part Deux: Poll 1a

What should the base type of our new Pokemon be?

• Ghost

Votes: 86 41.1%
  • Fire

Votes: 32 15.3%
  • Grass

Votes: 74 35.4%
  • Dark

Votes: 17 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apart from the already mentioned Weavile, you do have Houndoom / Spiritomb.
Psh, Houndoom and Spiritomb aren't even real OU pokemon. Would you ever see anyone using them if they didn't have Wondergaurd? No. And for Weavile, I'll re-phrase:

I'd like to see a good OU Dark pokemon not 4x weak to one of the most abused types in the game. If you say Fighting isn't abused, Heracross, Breloom, and Lucario would like a word with you. Also Focus Blast Gengar.

On that note, if Ghost is destined to win, I want Ghost/Normal.

Yeah.

Yeah, but if Ghost/Steel or Ghost/Normal win, we would definatly not give levitate and Scrappy respectivly. Right?
I don't see what the big deal is if it gets levitate, bronzong got levitate but nobody cares. If it's defences are something like 85/90/90 then strong neutral hits especially banded or speced will easily bring it down especially if it doesn't get recover.

I don't get why people think it will be some kind of uber wall that will be impossible to take down. if it got a shitty EQ weak probably nobody would use it.

Or give it an ability that's like heatproof but with ground moves

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What the fuck is the big fucking deal if it fucking gets fucking levitate?! Bronzong got fucking levitate and nobody fucking cares. just don't give it that good defences (porygon2 type defences minus the ability to trace intimidate or recover)

It's not like its gonna be impossible to take down, that's what walls do, they wall shit, but they're not impossible to take down. strong neutral attacks or choice banded/specs attacks will easily bring it down.

Or give it an ability that halves the damage taken from ground moves as a compromise. this thing will probably be heatran fodder anyways.
Until we get the "GIVE IT 555 BASE STATS AND 100 BASE SPEED AND EARTH POWER AND A NEW MOVE GROUND DESTRUCTION WITH 120 BP AND PERFECT ACCURACY" crowd, anyway.

Why would auto sun/rain be so bad?
Sandstream teams and Hail teams arn't too powerful and they have auto weather inducers.
And rocks have x1.5 SpDef, and Hail while not as useful has that whole Stallrein thing.

I know it was banned in ADV, but SD and RD teams were better back then.

I think an auto sun would be cool. Really cool actually. But if everyone really thinks it would be broken then fine whatever....

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
It's just that I don't think Ninty will ever make another Auto weather inducer for Sun and Rain. That's Groudon and Kyogres teritory and you just don't mess with that.

Bull of Heaven

I don't get why people think it will be some kind of uber wall that will be impossible to take down.
Because people automatically jump onto that idea when they hear "Ghost/Steel". A surprising number of people actually want a Ghost/Steel ubertank. They only see the could-be-great defensive typing and ignore any other potential.

Does anyone object to me running the next poll now? I might not be able to get on later tonight, so yah.

Sunday

I don't think Grass can make a comeback at this point somehow... I liked how this was a much closer poll than before. We didn't go off topic nearly as much as we usually do XD

I don't think Grass can make a comeback at this point somehow... I liked how this was a much closer poll than before. We didn't go off topic nearly as much as we usually do XD
Lol next poll is a showdown between Ghost and Grass. When I posted the idea they were neck and neck, there have been no objections, so unless someone thinks of one now, that's the next poll.

Sunday

If you look at the results of this poll I think it's safe to say that most of the people who voted "Fire" will vote Grass in the next poll for the posebility (sp) of a fire/grass (yeehaw!). And the people who voted Dark would be more likely to vote Ghost. So going by that the reslts should be something like 94 votes Ghost and 99 Votes Grass. But you never know do you?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
I want a Ghost/Steel levitating cursed armor of steel with 90/80/90/80/90/50.

Actually, I'd prefer to see Grass winning this poll...

A grass/ghost pokemon sends shivers down my spine. Today I was thinking of a grim dex entry for it.

"Celebi has stopped appearing; in it's place a grim and dreary pokemon looms over this world. Could this be a sign of what awaits us in the future?"
I would love to see a grass-ghost pokemon that fits this entry.

EDIT: Perhaps, rather than have a poll with ten or so options, we could have [ghost/steel, ghost/normal, ghost/other] as choices. That would happily skew the distribution right off the bat.

We might also want to determine the true purpose of the pokemon. Many people will want to create a pokemon that has some tangible effect on the metagame. It might even be that people are willing to sacrifice the pokemon's chances of being recognized by Nintendo in order to see something absolutely "ownage" hit the metagame. Even if the pokemon turns out to be some broken Ghost/Steel with Heatproof/Levitate as its abilities, people might be happy with it simply programmed into their battle simulators rather than actually in a game.

The sad thing is that if we do have a "tier" poll everyone will just choose OU. For the sake of balance it might be better to have a set with a higher BST to be worse at its role than something with a lower BST.

Deck Knight

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey, I don't appreciate the blatant Syclant reference.
LOL sorry about that, but in order to look like mocking it actually has to have a past instance of occurrence.

Besides, Syclant's 555 spread was decided among 5 submitted entries and only after a BST was derived. Morevover, none of the stat totals were really that broken all things considered. I mean, it was basically a Lucario with more speed and lesser offensive stats for the most part, and a cruddy defensive typing.

Giving a Ghost/Steel pokemon 555 Base stats is heavily moronic. Remember my bulky Syclant spread with the 101 HP Sub ability and moderate defenses (balanced by a sub-Starmie speed and mediocre attack, since I focused more on SA?) A Bulky Spread on a Ghost/Steel (which WILL come up) is much more likely to draw in votes than an all-out offensive spread.

I suppose one way to circumvent this is to have us choose from say, 5 specific stat totals to work from within a 25 point range, rather than the last topic where we chose in ranges of 20.

Or we could have two polls on the matter, one for a "tier" for lack of a better word with parenthetical ranges of 25 (ex: OU 500-525, UU 470-495, NU 440-465).

In other words we'd have to set limits to avoid brokenness, like no Legendary level pokemon (BST 600) and things like that. Otherwise there's pretty much no way to avoid people choosing the most competitive option available.

Karrot

plant
is a Past WCoP Champion
Grass for grass/fire tank!

Charcoal anyone? or is that too "rocky"
More like sweeper. Grass/Fire is about as "tanky" as an ice type.

Well, whatever this Pokemon turns out to be, I'd have it become an Underused with the same influence as Clefable. I'd rather have a hardcore UU then OU any day.

Deck Knight

Grass for grass/fire tank!

Charcoal anyone? or is that too "rocky"
Piranha Plant :-D

In all seriousness, there are a bunch of tube-like plants on the ocean bottom that live near volcanic vents. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to make them breath out fire. You could even be weird and give them Water Absorb LOL.

http://www.onr.navy.mil/Focus/ocean/habitats/vents2.htm

Yeah, I guess it would be kind of stretching it seeing as the worms themselves don't really have mouths and survive through chemosynthetic bacteria inside their bodies, but, uh, improvise?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
More like sweeper. Grass/Fire is about as "tanky" as an ice type.

Well, whatever this Pokemon turns out to be, I'd have it become an Underused with the same influence as Clefable. I'd rather have a hardcore UU then OU any day.
Well, Grass/Fire is weak to Rock, lol Poison, and Flying, while it resists Grass (4x), Electric, Steel and is neutral to everything else.

Okay, unless a Grass/Fire gets Flash Fire, it's not that good defensive. You're right, it's better dishing out massive damage.

Sunday

This seems to have come to a stage where we're going to have to moderate all sugestions and kill off any that are broken (like heavily defencive Ghost/Steel Spread) before they inevitably get all the votes. It's probably better that way too.

Come to think of it UU does need a good Pinsir counter. Ghost/Steel or even Ghost/Rock with mediocre (I mean something like 80/100/70) defensive stats would do nicely.

Deck Knight

Well, Grass/Fire is weak to Rock, lol Poison, and Flying, while it resists Grass (4x), Electric, Steel and is neutral to everything else.

Okay, unless a Grass/Fire gets Flash Fire, it's not that good defensive. You're right, it's better dishing out massive damage.
Swampert only resists Rock and Fire and is immune to Elec. Granted it only has a 4x weakness to Grass to balance that, but Fire/Grass has some interesting mitigating factors on its weaknesses.

If you're using amount of resistances as your qualification for tankiness, Swampert doesn't really apply.

Think about it: most Rock types really hate getting smacked by STAB Grass attacks, and Fire slaughters the most common flyer (with actual flying moves) around, Skarmory.

Give it enough durability and about 80 Base Speed and about the only thing it will really fear is Tyranitar.

This leaves Poison. Roserade dreads fire types, Crobat, Weezing, and Gengar rarely carry Sludge Bomb. Aside from the occaisional Muk, this doesn't have much to fear from poison attacks.

Im actually sort of glad that we are having another type poll, because i want to change my vote to grass. I want to see a Grass/Fire light Special Sweeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)