CAP 2 Smogon "Create a Pokemon" Part Deux: Poll 1a

What should the base type of our new Pokemon be?

• Ghost

Votes: 86 41.1%
  • Fire

Votes: 32 15.3%
  • Grass

Votes: 74 35.4%
  • Dark

Votes: 17 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, Deck Knight, you're completely right. I simply forgot Swampert's amazing list of resistances. So, Grass/Fire would work both ways: either dishing out damage, and surviving some attacks. Pretty much like... Gyarados? The difference is that the Grass/Fire would never get Dragon Dance, and the STAB moves are different and blahblahblah, but still.

It's a shame Grass won't win anymore, sadly.

Everyone will probably think this is 'broken' but I'm really liking the idea of it.
Fire/Grass
125 HP / 40 Atk / 85 Def / 95 SpAtk / 110 SDef / 80 Spd
535 total
With Drought.
That would end up with a movepool something like
~ Synthesis
~ Grass Knot
~ HP Ice/Fire
~ Thunderwave

This would be the special Hippowdon of Sunny Day teams. Could make Sunny teams way better. Okay it does seem kinda broken. But how more broken than Tyranitar with 700+ Total BS and SS for the team. This pokemon would have horride defense, and unless it goes for HP Ice over fire, then every Dragon counters, and most fliers in general can come in and Brave Bird/Whatever away. This would just provide auto sunnyday for the team, as well as a sp. tank. Blah. Maybe this would make sunnyday teams too powerful, but I wanted to share my idea. =]

Ya that's what I was thinking.. But other than living to provide sun, what else is it doing? It's not like it would harm anything with 95 SpAtk, which probably won't be too high with most EV's going into HP and SpDef.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, Deck Knight, you're completely right. I simply forgot Swampert's amazing list of resistances. So, Grass/Fire would work both ways: either dishing out damage, and surviving some attacks. Pretty much like... Gyarados? The difference is that the Grass/Fire would never get Dragon Dance, and the STAB moves are different and blahblahblah, but still.

It's a shame Grass won't win anymore, sadly.
Actually I forgot about a lot of Swampys resists:

Fire, Rock, Poison, Steel, Immune to Elec is the full list.

Granted that Poison is indeed lol to resist and Steel resistance basically means "I resist Metagross Meteor Mash," in a practical speaking manner.

And Grass types are underrated. They have several unique moves (or at least carbon copies of powerful moves) in Leech Seed, Aromatherapy, Leaf Storm, Leaf Blade, and various powders. Nature Power would be interesting in an enviroment where you can choose arena (Hydro Pump anyone?)

Some also have Growth, which I guess is bad compared to Nasty Plot and Tail Glow, but I wouldn't overlook a Growthed Overheat in terms of Threat level. There is also precedent for Grass types getting Explosion.

Really, Grass types do have some good unique options, and Fire mitigates a lot of grass weaknesses (only Steel does better, and that confers a 4x fire weakness) Its kind of like Water/Ground, where Water mitigates a lot of Ground's weaknesses and in return, Ground gives Electric immunity.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
With Drought.
This. I didn't even stop to see the base stats carefully, but... no. Sand Stream is already an awfully broken trait Game Freak created, it's better only Groudon and Kyogre get Drought and Drizzle, really.

Now, if you want a trait that works like Drought, but then the sunlight stops 5-8 turns (Hot Rock, people) after the pokémon switches out, then I'd maybe agree with you. I still say Chlorophyll/Flash Fire are the best, though. Okay, maybe only Flash Fire, as the Speed boost with powered Fire Blasts and one-turn Solarbeams could be too much.

@ Deck Knight: Nature Power would only be useful in-game, as Shoddy/Competitor always simulate the "indoors" battefield (as it simulates real wi-fi/wireless battle).

It's like a Blissey with Resistances and a bit more attacking power. The lack of 255/130 defenses are slightly helped by the 3/4th recovery and the ability to make Chlorophyll pokemon dominate.

Deck Knight

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ya that's what I was thinking.. But other than living to provide sun, what else is it doing? It's not like it would harm anything with 95 SpAtk, which probably won't be too high with most EV's going into HP and SpDef.
Hi, my name is Overheat. I'm a 140 power fire move that would be STABBED and boosted by Sunlight on such a Drought pokemon. I laugh at Specsmence (damagewise) and I can still belt out STAB Grass Knots and Solarbeams like nobody's business.

Everyone will probably think this is 'broken' but I'm really liking the idea of it.
Fire/Grass
125 HP / 40 Atk / 85 Def / 95 SpAtk / 110 SDef / 80 Spd
535 total
With Drought.
That would end up with a movepool something like
~ Synthesis
~ Grass Knot
~ HP Ice/Fire
~ Thunderwave
Are you saying it would be of the fire type but wouldn't get any fire type attacks other than HP Fire?

Swampert only resists Rock and Fire and is immune to Elec. Granted it only has a 4x weakness to Grass to balance that, but Fire/Grass has some interesting mitigating factors on its weaknesses.

If you're using amount of resistances as your qualification for tankiness, Swampert doesn't really apply.

Think about it: most Rock types really hate getting smacked by STAB Grass attacks, and Fire slaughters the most common flyer (with actual flying moves) around, Skarmory.

Give it enough durability and about 80 Base Speed and about the only thing it will really fear is Tyranitar.

This leaves Poison. Roserade dreads fire types, Crobat, Weezing, and Gengar rarely carry Sludge Bomb. Aside from the occaisional Muk, this doesn't have much to fear from poison attacks.
You mention some cool stuff i didn't fully think about.If want i am reading is correct a Grass/Fire type would take neutral damage from water and ground.I got to repeat that a Fire type taking neutral damage WATER and GROUND.Rock is weakness does not matter because they are few rock types that feel comfortable in with a grass type.Grass/fire type looks pretty good to me

Karrot

plant
is a Past WCoP Champion
Oh my god. I did not want Grass type to win for this crap that Ghost is already getting. I'm talking about the people who suggest Drought or giving it anything higher then a base 90 in either defense. If the fire/grass Pokemon is going to look like this, then by all means, let ghost win it ruin that instead.

So it all comes down to Grass and Ghost them? Sorry guys, but posting a Spectral Lynx made me really want Ghost, so I'll have to support that. But I'm still all for a Grass/Fire, if the community decides on Grass.

I love how I'm not contributing to the discussion is any way, much unlike my polls, where every other poll was me defending an opinion. Oh well. Here's something for all you Tentaghoul fans:

Googly-Eyed Glass Squid

Piranha Plant :-D

In all seriousness, there are a bunch of tube-like plants on the ocean bottom that live near volcanic vents. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to make them breath out fire. You could even be weird and give them Water Absorb LOL.

http://www.onr.navy.mil/Focus/ocean/habitats/vents2.htm

Yeah, I guess it would be kind of stretching it seeing as the worms themselves don't really have mouths and survive through chemosynthetic bacteria inside their bodies, but, uh, improvise?
habanero pepper if fire/grass wins imo

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
habanero pepper if fire/grass wins imo
Well expecially in the Australian Outback most plants rely on Fire to germinate their seed Pods so that could be easily incorporated. Like a first form that is pure Grass then it needs to germinate it's seed pods so when it evolves it becomes Grass / Fire.

Alright, maybe synthesis is too much. But I guess it would be Hp ice/ Fire move =/. Doesn't matter I'd still use HP Ice.
And it would NEVER get Overheat, or solarbeam. Well I wouldn't anyway. It would be deadley for supporting Heatran, though.

Okay my bad it was broken lolz

Well expecially in the Australian Outback most plants rely on Fire to germinate their seed Pods so that could be easily incorporated. Like a first form that is pure Grass then it needs to germinate it's seed pods so when it evolves it becomes Grass / Fire.

Would it be worthy of Seed Flare? I believe Seed Flare really fits a Grass/Fire type.

Lol Shaymin. I think we should just wait as the polls go on. No point in discussing it now when it won't really matter.

Deck Knight

So it all comes down to Grass and Ghost them? Sorry guys, but posting a Spectral Lynx made me really want Ghost, so I'll have to support that. But I'm still all for a Grass/Fire, if the community decides on Grass.

I love how I'm not contributing to the discussion is any way, much unlike my polls, where every other poll was me defending an opinion. Oh well. Here's something for all you Tentaghoul fans:

Googly-Eyed Glass Squid
Oh great, another Water type. What are we up to now, 60?

TBH Ghost/Water really isn't that cohesive, either offensively or defensively. The two types have nothing to do with each other chart-wise, which I good if you like that sort of thing.

Weaks: Electric, Grass, Ghost, Dark
Resists: Poison, Water, Fire, Ice, Steel
Immune: Normal, Fighting

Not bad, but weakness to Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball, and Pursuit aren't horribly comforting, and it's hard to make a case for some common Ghost moves like Will-O-Wisp (and indeed, Thunderbolt)

Although the perks are a ghost with Ice Beam and none of the associated baggage Froslass has (hi Ice's defensive prowess.)

The more I read about a Fire/Grass the more I want to do a Sunflora evo. It wouldn't get much of a boost in stats, just a bit more defenses and maybe 110/115 SAttk. The Spd can stay the same; don't want something with an effective double Specs running around with one turn STAB Solarbeams and double-STAB Fire Blasts to be too powerful. Trick Room Sunny Day team ftw?

The more I read about a Fire/Grass the more I want to do a Sunflora evo. It wouldn't get much of a boost in stats, just a bit more defenses and maybe 110/115 SAttk. The Spd can stay the same; don't want something with an effective double Specs running around with one turn STAB Solarbeams and double-STAB Fire Blasts to be too powerful. Trick Room Sunny Day team ftw?
I just don't see sunflora turning into some kind of flaming flower. unless it's head would be the sun or something since it's a sunflower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)