CAP 2 Smogon "Create a Pokemon" Part Deux: Poll 6

Which art should we use for our Pokemon?

• Rocko the Taco

Votes: 18 8.8%
  • KoA #1 (mummy)

Votes: 47 22.9%
  • TaB #1 (kana)

Votes: 39 19.0%
  • KoA # 2 (viking)

Votes: 36 17.6%
  • DougJustDoug

Votes: 61 29.8%
  • Sanglunaria

Votes: 39 19.0%
  • KoA #3 (marionette)

Votes: 72 35.1%
  • TaB #2 (fencing)

Votes: 16 7.8%
  • TaB #3 (boxing)

Votes: 28 13.7%
  • Cooper

Votes: 14 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Voted for fencing, Banette Evo, the scarecrow one, and DougJustDoug (which is my top choice.)

...and it looks like that one is winning!

EDIT: No wait, Banette Evo is winning. But that's still awesome.

I'm kind of annoyed the Marionette is so popular. Someone mentioned that there are probably people voting for it who thinks it's going to be an actual Banette Evo, which it's not. My real problem is that it doesn't look like a Ghost/Fighting, just a plain ghost.

Why didnt my one make it this time?
We told you in the art thread that it didn't look Ghost/Fighting enough. Centaurs aren't even Ghosts.

Yeah, people really need to consider the base stats when they're voting. The marionette looks cool and all, but does it look like a tank? No.

In this post, I'll be offering amateur opinion, a very dangerous thing to give. :P I really love all of them, but I think it's easier to choose, here, by process of elimination, so I'll be pointing out what I think is wrong, more than what I think is right.

The biggest problem I have with most of these is that they don't look like what I consider "Pokemon". They're all amazing, but not really sugi-style. Some of them also look a lot like Dusknoir, or at least have his body pose. And Dusknoir could very well be Ghost/Fighting.

I voted for Tea and Blues' jester thing, since it looks awesome. I really like the effort Tea and Blues put into colouring and drawing everything. :) Colour really helps me get a feel for the Pokemon. The main problem with that was how it doesn't really look bulky enough, imo. TaB's fencing Poke looks awesome as well, but more like a Ghost-Steel type. The boxing one made me smile, but I'm not personally a fan of "accessories" on Pokemon. It looks like a ghost type Geodude that killed a Hitmonchan and found a gym membership. :P It strikes me as more of a pre-evo.

RocktheTaco's Viking thing is, like all of the others, awesome, but I dislike the fact that it has an axe. Very few Pokemon have weapons that are not part of their bodies (Marowak is the only one I can think of, right now, and that's arguable :P), so I think the trend should be kept.

I voted for KoA's mummy, 'cause I think it's cool, but it doesn't really look like a Pokemon to me. His Viking is great, too, and it actually reminds me of the cookie monster. :P Just with armour. Hah. The marionette thing seems to be winning because it is really cool, but again, I have a problem with accessories on these things. It's very un-Pokemon-like, and sorta violent, when you see an undead marionette swinging a plank of wood with spikes at your small pink baloon. It's also too much of a mono-Ghost type Banette evolution.

The last one I voted for was Doug's, and although it's the lest in "sugi-style", imo, it's the best. :P The rings idea is cool, it's coloured up awesome, and it's unmistakably Ghost/Fighting (though I guess there is some metal, there...). I also like how it isn't the generic purpley-black that most Ghosts are. My favourite. ;)

Cooper's looks like something straight out of Zelda. Bongo Bongo / one of Vaati's forms / enemy... it looks very Zelda-ish. ;P However, it seemed too similar to Dusknoir, to me.

Sanglunaria's also looks like something from OoT/TP/MM, like Skull Kid (love him). It would've had my unwavering support, had Ghost/Grass been the final, like I had hoped for. :(

So imo, we should try to stick to Ghost/Fighting for sure, that means that no matter how good some of them are, they should be saved for different projects, if they don't look like Ghost/Fighting types.

Cooper's looks like something straight out of Zelda. Bongo Bongo / one of Vaati's forms / enemy... it looks very Zelda-ish. ;P However, it seemed too similar to Dusknoir, to me.
I do enjoy Zelda....

Sorry my own art, but you just didn't fit the stats. I would've voted for you if I had known I could vote more than once though.... Maybe you should edit that into the OT Hyra.

I voted DJD. His genie is the only thing that looks even remotely defensive out of the 10.
It is in the OT. I said you can vote for as many as you like, but that voting for all ten is kind of pointless.

Bugger. None of mine got though. Was fun trying, though!
Actually, yours almost made it. It's just I felt Cooper's design fit more. I originally had yours as the first, but decided that Cooper's was more Ghostly.

Hm.. and how to decide who moves on? Top 4? All those above 20%? 10%? Yeah, the fact that the percentages is votes / voters and not votes / total votes makes the percentages alot higher.

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
Actually, yours almost made it. It's just I felt Cooper's design fit more. I originally had yours as the first, but decided that Cooper's was more Ghostly.
Bah, no need to justify your decision to me. Nice of you to do so, though. I know my art skills are lacking compared to the others. :toast: I just thought I'd throw some designs out there to inspire others.

It is in the OT. I said you can vote for as many as you like, but that voting for all ten is kind of pointless.

Hm.. and how to decide who moves on? Top 4? All those above 20%? 10%? Yeah, the fact that the percentages is votes / voters and not votes / total votes makes the percentages alot higher.
20%+ is probably good, as long as Kana goes on I'm happy.

the marionette is interesting, but the top part with the wooden hanging spikey thing doesn't look too pokemon to me.

I like the TaB boxing one...it looks more pokemon-ish but so does the marionette one and it reminded me about shuppet and bannette.

Can everyone stop whining that what they picked isn't winning? You don't see me whining that FSS' spread was chosen instead of Gothic's. If it wins, it wins. We can do without your whining.
They're more whining that its winning on false pretenses. I forgot to say that it wouldn't be a Banette evo in the OP, that would probably strip some votes off (people who want the design for a real Banette evo) but just because its a good design it would be pretty high. I consider this my 3rd ish choice. First two are the Kana and the Djinn options, and the boxing poke is also up there.

Well, it looks like only five options will move onto the next round as of now. I think I'm going to make the next poll one vote only to speed things up. Of course, that means people actually have to decide next time, unlike this one which is basically choosing what we don't want.

I voted for KoA's marionette art. This looks like a pokemon out of all of them. I could imagine it being in the game.

We told you in the art thread that it didn't look Ghost/Fighting enough. Centaurs aren't even Ghosts.
At least my design was orignal. Almost all the designs you chose look almost exactly the same.
And also mine was a valkarie, if you dont know they are ghosts. Yes it didnt look evil, but thats what dark types are for.

I voted for the mummy, the "viking" as the list calls it, the scarecrow and the fencing one.

Most of the others just don't appeal to me, but there's two I have serious problems with.

Doug's one doesn't look Pokemon-y AT ALL. And the Banette evo is obviously just that: A BANETTE EVO. We are making a BRAND NEW Pokemon, not an evolution of an existing one.

I find it wierd that the two I hate are winning.

I don't like Marionette, as this isn't a Banette evo, and Doug's, as it does NOT look like a Pokemon. Far too humanoid, and just not like something you'd find in the game at all.

I voted Mummy and Scarecrow, as they look the most mon-ish.

late entry that deserves a slot in the voting process

Alright- though i am ecstatic you used my idea for a fighting ghost phys sweeper, i am pretty much let down that 1) you didnt ask my permission or give me recognition whatsoever in the planning process 2) nobody waited for me to submit what i actualy wanted it to look like before making a poll and 3) you had a vote on what its purpose would be when i clearly stated what it should do, after lots of careful study of weaknesses, resistances, and gaps in the OU metagame that needed to be filled (and how). I posted this already and it was SHUT down by mods who said not to post it again - thats wrong to do before hearing my case for why it should be this way. I really dont know what to do since you already had people do so much work on something i had planned out forever and wouldnt have brought up if you were just gonna turn it into a contest. We do not need another tank like dusknoir. The original purpose was to make a fighting ghost about as fast as starmie (making it countered by lesser used weak but speedy sweepers and support sweepers like weavile, starmie, alakazam, and crobat - which need some lovin), that would be able to counter 1) blissey 2) cresselia 3) snorlax 4) weezing 5) tyranitar 6) gengar and 7) swampert from the physical end using its ability to always score a neutral hit with fighting and ghost stab. The animation below was my original idea for look (the above drawing was done later by a friend of mine- she has an eye for style) This thing is like phys sweeper version of starmie meets gengar meets hitmonlee / chan The name i came up with was "caecus" using an archaic play on words with the latin root for blindness.

"Caecus" the blind fighter

pearl pokedex entry rough draft : It opens the eye on its chest once a year to fill its flask with souls.

diamond pokedex rough draft: this near blind pokemon uses its eye to see the souls of potential challengers

example moves : brick break, will-o-wisp, toxic, pursuit (leveling up), protect AND detect (this was my cost for no attack powerups- which trust me WOULD make it overpowered), mach punch, double kick (lvl 1 from move tutor even though it has no legs lol- maybe same move with new name but this would absolutely counter tyranboah for once), shadow claw, shadow sneak, zen headbutt or psycho cut i cant decide (leveling up), cross poison (lvl 1 move tutor), seed bomb (sounds weird but its necesary), drain punch, stone edge, and either knock off or rapid spin (make them breeder moves but you cant have both on same one) No elemental punches as they would make it seriously overpowered and be a clone of dusknoir. No powerups

ability - pressure
HP-65
attack-120
defense - 85
Sp. attack - 75
Sp. defense - 60
speed - 115

that girl helped me out with a bit of color down below. The late nighter is turning into a good one (friends have helped me on AIM). I hope you all give a good thought or two to the work here. thanks- matt (and friends)

sorry dr. koen, but no. We didn't even use your idea. This design was gotten through a series of five polls, not looking at your post and stealing it. Sorry, but please try reading all the polls, not just the one where it resembles your idea enough for you to call plagarism (ooh it is also Ghost/Fighting type, but wait ours is a tank and yours is a sweeper).

Yah, sorry Dr. Koen, but you had almost a month to submit your idea in the art thread, or even contribute at all. IT's your fault for not doing so until now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)