CAP 2 Smogon "Create a Pokemon" Part Deux: Poll 7a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dry Skin because its a mummy! dont you think those bandages would burn? and after being salted and dried it wouldnt mind some water once in a while lol. why does air lock make any sense whatsoever besides being a good ability? its not even in the air i mean come on.

Insomnia

Seriously, I don't understand why everyone's voting for Air Lock. You are all aware that its effect wears off once you switch out, right? I don't see how the ability can benift him in anyway, apart from Leftovers recovery, which is hardly a point to consider. You have absolutely no business staying in against Garchomp, and you'll hardly be able to touch Gliscor, making evading Sandstorm hax useless. Please enlighten me why you'd ever even consider using this ability.

Insomnia is a great ability, and the vast majority of you seem to be underestimating it. The ability to switch in on a Sleep move for free is sorely underestimated. And who's to say this Poke can't adopt a slightly more offensive set to go along with this ability? You guys complain about not being able to use Rest, but don't forget you still have Shed Skin. Apart from Sleep Talk, and the rather ineffective Natural Cure, it is very difficult if even possible to counter sleep. It can often cripple a Poke for the entire match. Sleep Talk isn't even a surefire way to deal with Sleep, due the probability of selecting Rest or another useless attack, thus losing a turn. Switching Natural Cure Pokes in and out does nothing to stop the Sleeper from coming back and doing its job later.

Think of Insomnia as an immunity to the most crippling status there is. And a 100% one at that. Besides, whose to say we can't give this guy Pain Split, when like half the Ghosts get it. Not to mention his rather uncanny resemblance to the Duskull line. Definitely a breeding move.

I seriously believe Insomnia would open a more offensive avenue for this Pokemon, allowing it to fulfill more than one role and become more surprising, something which definitely can't be said for Air Lock. Imagine switching in on a Scarf/Specs Gengar/Roserade's Hypnosis, then Focus Punching their switch-in off the face of the earth. You might think this rather situational, but more than half the time the first move a starting Gengar, and Roserade to a lesser extent, uses is Hypnosis. And most of them are Choiced.

Ultimately, we seriously need a Poke with Insomnia in OU to effectively deal with Sleepers, and frankly I'm surprised so few people realize this.

I bet half the people voting for Air Lock don't realize its effects wear off after switching, and are only supporting it because they think it'll help them deal with Garchomp.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Still going for Snare Trap.

I found it fitting and it would give this a whole different way of battling.

I would vote for Snare trap, but I want it to have a way to recover so: No 2nd Ability.

EDIT: Am i understanding correctly? If we give it only 1 Ability, will it get some way to recover HP?

Gonna have to go with No Second Ability just because I like the idea of Shed Skin, and don't want Air Lock to potentially win out (instead of making a random ability, we steal Rayquaza's? There are so many abilities out there that aren't legendary-exclusive...)

Insomnia.

It makes sense, being a mummy, and all. To me, Air Lock makes no sense on a mummy Pokemon. Rayquaza holds some viability, seeing as it can actually fly, but what qualities does this Pokemon possess that can hinder the weather? Tell me, what? What can a Fighting/Ghost do to stop the sun from shining? Or prevent the rain from falling? What?

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Well, Air Lock looks like it is going to win but I want no ability and at least it's better than the custom ability. Plus Mummys tend to live in places with stable, dry air so yeah whatever lol.

Think of Insomnia as an immunity to the most crippling status there is. And a 100% one at that. Besides, whose to say we can't give this guy Pain Split, when like half the Ghosts get it. Not to mention his rather uncanny resemblance to the Duskull line. Definitely a breeding move.
I would vote for Snare trap, but I want it to have a way to recover so: No 2nd Ability.

EDIT: Am i understanding correctly? If we give it only 1 Ability, will it get some way to recover HP?
Hasn't it been argued that Pain Split would make it steal too much of Dusknoirs spotlight?
Read all three of these in order. Grawl is right. Pain Split means we just made a Dusknoir with better typing and a psuedo-immunity to all status. If you guys want a full out Ghost tank try out Spiritomb or Dusknoir, that's not this guys job. Going back to what Gothic Togekiss stated in the last thread, the entire point of this is a Pokemon that can effectively utilize Bulk Up, not to replace Dusknoir.

This thing is not getting Will-o-Wisp or Pain Split. Rest and Shed Skin is arguably better anyways. We have to do something to differentiate Dusknoir and this, especially since both lines are based on Mummies. We want to create a Unique Pokemon, not a Garchomp (aka take something and completely and totally outclass it).

And I figured out what I'm going to vote for: Air Lock. It fits because no weather can exist in a tomb. When was the last time you went to the pyramids and said "Oh noes, we can't go in because its raining INSIDE of the pyramid. And it's not as totally redundant as Insomnia is. I mean come on, "I can wake up early already, but I want to never fall asleep ever". It's entirely redundant, you already have one of the best Sleep Absorbing abilities. It's just real greedy and unflavorful to give something two abilities with the same purpose, reducing the power of sleep.

Air Lock.

And my reasoning is simple: I don't want Dry Skin to win, and I don't dislike Air Lock either. And since air Lock is the best candidate to win, I'm jumping in the bandwagon.

Might I add that given this Pokemon's already high base HP, and the likelyhood you'll be investing a serious amount of HP EVs, that Pain Split on this guy is so much inferior to Pain Split on Dusknoir. It's hardly replacing Dusknoir. I'll give you a concrete example:

Using Pain Split at 50% health (with max HP EVs, so 384HP) against a Poke at full health with 320 HP. They lose 20% health, while you gain a whopping 16% health. How great is that.

With Dusknor at 50% health (max HP so 294 HP) against a Poke at full health with 320 HP: They lose 30% health, while you gain 30% health.

Dusknoir's superiority in this domain only becomes more pronounced the lower your HP is.

And you might say that at really low HPs this guy can also abuse Pain Split, but he's quite slow, and I know from experience how often Dusknoir can get off a Pain Split at low health. Not often. And that's with it's awesome defenses. My point is even at low HP he can't really abuse Pain Split, let alone at higher HPs. So giving him Pain Split is really not gonna help him. And if you're so concerned, then just don't give him Pain Split. With or without PS, Insomnia is still the superior trait. As I said you would use Insomnia with a more offensive set, in which case you're not healing yourself as much.

Saying that Shed Skin and Insomnia share the same purpose is a very far strech. Unless you're using a Sleep Talk set (and please, there are other options people) switching the guy into a sleep move is plain stupid. Relying on that 1/3 chance isn't something a good battler would do. Not to mention the obvious fact that Insomnia doesn't help against Burn, Paralysis, etc.

I still have yet to hear a good reason why someone would use Air Lock competitively. You say giving it Insomnia and Shed Skin is giving it to abilities with the same purpose. Why not argue for Run Away instead of Air Lock; it practically serves the same purpose.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Air lock - 18

No ability - 11

EDIT: Also the name idea Revenankh reminds me of Rabenasta from FF12

I still have yet to hear a good reason why someone would use Air Lock competitively. You say giving it Insomnia and Shed Skin is giving it to abilities with the same purpose. Why not argue for Run Away instead of Air Lock; it practically serves the same purpose.
Because CBTar barely 2HKO's with Crunch. Leftovers start to matter here. Air Lock = Leftovers, which means Tyranitar dies. This Pokemon has been largely influenced by FSS's idea of a Ghost/Fighting Bulk Upper that can counter Heracross and TTar. Being immune to Sandstorm only helps.

I'm surprised you'd chose an immunity to sandstorm over an immunity to sleep. So you're telling me you voted for Air Lock on the off chance you face a CBTar, and you switch into its Crunch. You realize with just switching into Stealth Rock, your leftover gains are negated, never mind other residual damage.Besides the fact that I don't know why someone would switch this guy into what you suspect to be a CBed Crunch, and the fact that this is unbelievably situational, consider the following:

- Against a non-weather based team, Air Lock serves absolutely no purpose.
- The number of teams using a Sleeper is greater than the number of Sandstream teams
- Even in a sandstorm, is your extremely situational scenario worth using Air Lock over an ability that helps you counter the most threatening status in the game?

If the reason is solely for Leftovers, then I'm very dissapointed. Do you see other Sandstream-weak walls crumbling under its effects? I use a Dusknoir and a Suicune on my Sandstream team which had me ranked nr. 1 a few weeks back on Shoddy, and I can tell you they do just fine.

Also, Insomnia adds a lot more diversity to this Poke than Air Lock. You can't argue that. Between Air Lock and Shed Skin, I'd chose Shed Skin every day of the week. That's why so many people are content to just have Shed Skin without realizing the extra dimension which Insomnia adds to this guy.

I'd love to discuss this more, but it's past midnight where I live so I'm off to bed.

Air Lock/Cloud Nine because this ablity is awesome and needs to be on a truely OU level pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)