1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

CAP 2 Smogon "Create a Pokemon" Part Deux: Poll 7b

Discussion in 'CAP Process Archive' started by Hyra, Feb 27, 2008.

?

Ability = ????

Poll closed Feb 28, 2008.
  1. Air Lock

92 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. No Ability

82 vote(s)
    47.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hyra

Hyra
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Previous Information and Threads:
    Poll 7a - Ability
    Poll 7 - Ability
    Poll 6b - Art
    Poll 6a - Art
    Poll 6 - Art
    Part 5 - Base Stats
    Part 4a - Base Stat Range
    Part 4 - Base Stat Range
    Part 3 - Role
    Part 2b - Secondary Typing
    Part 2a - Secondary Typing
    Part 2 - Secondary Typing
    Part 1b- Main Typing
    Part 1a - Main Typing
    Part 1 - Main Typing
    The Beginning

Typing: Ghost/Fighting
    90 HP / 105 Attack / 90 Defense / 65 Sp. Attack / 110 Sp. Defense / 65 Speed
    Total = 525 BST
    Will not evolve from an already existing Pokemon
    Ability: Shed Skin
    This Pokémon has a 30% chance of removing Burn, Freeze, Paralysis, Poison, and Sleep at the end of each turn.
    Looks like this:
    [​IMG]

The question for this poll is "What secondary ability do we give our Pokemon?"
    People can't agree, so we do this again.

Air Lock
    While Pokémon with Air Lock are out, the effects of weather are temporarily disabled. Fire and Water moves are at normal power in sun and rain, Rocks have normal Special Defense in sandstorm, SolarBeam has 120 power and takes 2 turns, and Blizzard and Thunder have normal accuracy. The game will report that the weather is still going, however. The weather's effects will return when the Pokémon with Air Lock switches out.

No Ability
    Self-explanatory. The only option on this Pokemon becomes Shed Skin. Mainly if you don't think any of the remaining abilities fit.

Discuss the moveset for the Pokemon, no abilities in this thread. Otherwise, I won't be able to move on to the next poll. Anyways, the ability discussion is done to death in the other two threads.
  2. Arzamo

Arzamo

This looks like it should be able to Bulk Up, but not Swords Dance or Calm Mind. A recovery move on this would also be weird flavor-wise. Can you see this thing using Recover, Wish, or Moonlight?

EDIT: First post.
  3. Shiny Crobat

Shiny Crobat

Well, it looks like a defensive poke, so air lock sounds like a good choice, but since it has nothing to do with the poke itself, I'm going with no ability.
  4. Gothic Togekiss

Gothic Togekiss

Slack Off? Some sort of zombie/mummy healing powers?
  5. darkie

darkie mfw i see alison brie
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon IRC AOPis a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Public Relations

I can see Moonlight. No Swords Dance, Calm Mind. Nasty Plot makes sense, as does Bulk Up.
  6. Zerix

Zerix

I say no Moonlight, but Morning Sun. Morning Sun seems to be a better choice for a mummy, in my opinion. I also concur with having Bulk Up, Nasty Plot, and Slack Off in the moveset.
  7. CardsOfTheHeart

CardsOfTheHeart

From what I've read about the reasoning for Air Lock, with Air Lock our Pokemon can recreate the atmosphere that it is used to: a tomb. Personally, I believe it only makes sense in Sandstorms. I'll take No Ability over Air Lock.

Movepool...

It has no legs, thus we should utilize its arms. How many of the Punches do we let it learn?

Others to be considered on that concept:
    Arm Thrust
    Brick Break
    Close Combat
    Cross Chop
    Force Palm
    Karate Chop
    Rock Smash
    Seismic Toss
    Smellingsalt
    Vital Throw
    Wake-up Slap

Something tells me that Punishment should be on the table, as well as Body Slam, Strength, Rock Tomb, and Sand Tomb.
  8. Time Mage

Time Mage

I say no recovery move other than Rest, decently varied movepool in the STAB department, but not so much in other types, NO WoW and NO Pain Split. Maybe an elemental punch or two, maybe Rock Slide (not SE), some flavor move like Sand Tomb...

Also, support moves like Trick Room, Heal Block, Taunt, etc.
  9. Hyra

Hyra

It's not getting Slack Off. It doesn't need better recovery than Dusknoir. We are not trying to replace the guy. Moonlight/Morning Sun are the only recovery options I will consider. This ban also applies to Pain Split and Will-o-Wisp to help differentiate this from Dusknoir and not just being a better version of him.
  10. SirRaven

SirRaven

Air Lock barely winning. Come on guys. :[
  11. Grawl

Grawl

I liked most of this

Edit: I think Rest should be his only recovery. He can take a hit en recover it of easily and nailing it with Burn or Toxic won't really work either.
  12. Time Mage

Time Mage

Considering it's very possible it'll get Air Lock, that means those two moves will always recover 50% HP. So that makes them the same as Slack Off/Recover/Roost.

I say no to Moonlight/Morning sun, too.
  13. darkie

darkie mfw i see alison brie
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon IRC AOPis a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Public Relations

Hmm... Air Lock + Morning Sun/Moonlight..

edit: haha same time and idea as Time Mage.
  14. Hyra

Hyra

Ahh, forgot that. Well, since Air Lock seems to be hated, I'll still leave them on the table for now.
  15. Gothic Togekiss

Gothic Togekiss

I only said Slack Off because...okay technically speaking I don't know how a zombie/mummy could slack off anyway? I mean, isn't it constantly moving or something.

I mention it a few times now, but you going have to mention what this guy main role is in a team and how is it different from Dusknoir. Hell I want to know if everyone know what's Dusknoir's role is anyway.
  16. Magmortified

Magmortified <b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>

It doesn't have to be called Air Lock when it's finalized. There are alternative names to it. I remember a few being mentioned in the last topic. Sealed Tomb and Grave Aura particularly jumped out at me. But that's just an opinion.

Anyhow, why does everybody think it absolutely needs a recovery move? Snorlax and Swampert sure don't, and yet you see them out and about.

Hey, why not give it Mach Punch in opposition to Noir's Shadow Sneak?
  17. sanjay120

sanjay120

Air Lock because it makes sense. There is no weather inside tombs as they are (supposed to be) airtight.

But if it does get Air Lock then rofl Morning Sun.
  18. Time Mage

Time Mage

My comments, in bold.

Also, I'd add Mack Punch as another Egg Move, so it can't have both Mach Punch and Shadow Sneak at the same time, but can choose between them.
  19. Grawl

Grawl

He later changed EL to Dynamic Punch IIRC

And WOW is a big no-no, but that's been discussed anyway.
  20. Hyra

Hyra

Spin Blocker (We can't stop this because it is a Ghost type)
    General Purpose Wall with the ability to stop most major threats.

I really don't want to impede on the second one. Dusknoir can cover almost all physical attackers and most special attackers in D/P depending on its moves. Will-o-Wisp and Pain Split are considered the core of most Dusknoir sets, although RestTalk and some 3 attack variants exist. Anything that makes this guy outclass Dusknoir in those two aspects is going to almost going to get axed.

The second part of Dusknoir's great tanking ability is the fact that its movepool is so varied that if you are weak to something, Dusknoir probably learns something to hit you with. It gets much trickier here though. Just because Dusknoir has an attack doesn't mean our Mummy shouldn't have that same attack. However, some of Dusknoir's movepool just doesn't fit the design right off the bat (Earthquake and ThunderPunch come to mind). Other moves we will look at on a case by case basis.

That clear up what I mean?
  21. futuresuperstar

futuresuperstar

Morning Sun is a great idea ... as long as Air Lock is not an option. With Air Lock, this would have 50% recovery at all times.
  22. 1059860

lol 17 to 17 tied.
  23. Jonathan

Jonathan

Just want to point out that giving this guy Moonlight/Morning Sun would actually give Air Lock a decent enough advantage over Shed Skin to consider using.

EDIT: I notice now that others have also pointed this out. Don't forget that you forgoe the advantages of Shed Skin if you want this 50% recovery move. And the 1/3 chance of Resting and waking up on the same turn seems more "broken" than using Moonlight/Morning Sun with a guaranteed 50% recovery...especially as you only have 8PP.
  24. Dane

Dane

Level Up Moves:
    Lvl 01 - Wrap
    Lvl 01 - Curse
    Lvl 04 - Arm Thrust
    Lvl 09 - Sand Tomb
    Lvl 13 - Icy Wind
    Lvl 19 - Spite
    Lvl 22 - Endure
    Lvl 26 - Dizzy Punch
    Lvl 31 - Mean Look
    Lvl 35 - Nightmare
    Lvl 41 - Shadow Punch
    Lvl 47 - Grudge
    Lvl 50 - Rest
    Lvl 52 - Sleep Talk
    Lvl 60 - Glare
    Lvl 72 - Hammer Arm
    Lvl 80 - Bulk Up
    Lvl 89 - Power Whip

Egg Moves:
    HumanShape:
    - Knock Off
    - Punishment
    - Pursuit
    - Revenge
    - Aura Sphere

Indeterminate:
    - Night Slash
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Sucker Punch
    - Night Shade

TMs:
    - 01 Focus Punch
    - 05 Roar
    - 08 Bulk Up
    - 10 Hidden Power
    - 11 Sunny Day
    - 17 Protect
    - 18 Rain Dance
    - 20 Safeguard
    - 21 Frustration
    - 26 Earthquake
    - 30 Shadow Ball
    - 31 Brick Break
    - 37 Sandstorm
    - 39 Rock Tomb
    - 41 Torment
    - 43 Secret Power
    - 44 Rest
    - 54 False Swipe
    - 58 Endure
    - 66 Payback
    - 78 Captivate
    - 80 Rock Slide
    - 82 Sleep Talk
    - 85 Dream Eater
    - 92 Trick Room

HMs:
    - 04 Strength
    - 06 Rock Smash

Here's my prospective move list. Tried to get as many "vengeful" techniques as possible, as well as anything that seems like it would work for him. I gave him HumanShape and Indeterminate egg groups, and tried not to give him the most powerful attacks possible (Shadow Claw and Close Combat, for example).
  25. Gmax

Gmax kuahahahaha
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Well, even if it DOES get Air Lock, I'd say Moonlight wouldn't be all that broken. It has just 8 PP...

@Time Mage, lots of things get EQ, and with this being something that'll likely focus on Defense, EQ won't make a huge difference. And Sunny Day/Rain Dance don't make sense on a lot of Pokemon that learn it. Pokemon really doesn't make sense...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)