Smogon Fantasy Football: 2013-2014 Season

So, which 2 of these players would be the best to start...

SJax / Daniel Thomas (if Miller doesn't play) / Ogbonnaya (if McGahee doesn't play) / Montee Ball / Donald Brown / Zac Stacy
I'm prob gonna play Stacy, and was going to start Steven Jackson but idk anymore lol.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I guess you can take comfort in knowing that projections in fantasy are almost never accurate then, Byrne

So, which 2 of these players would be the best to start...

SJax / Daniel Thomas (if Miller doesn't play) / Ogbonnaya (if McGahee doesn't play) / Montee Ball / Donald Brown / Zac Stacy
I'm prob gonna play Stacy, and was going to start Steven Jackson but idk anymore lol.
Thomas if he starts and Stacy.

so my money league picture is looking pretty grim. Gronk is out and AP is out, and MJD probably is too.

Romo + Bryant have been sucking it up.

here's my plan at the moment:

i worry about Shorts, as he's a game-time decision. Smith is boom or bust, but Sanders/Crabtree/Patterson are all unknowns.

need my studs to be studs in a big way.

my "for fun" situation is, as usual, FAR better looking, with the only real stress in determining whose points i'm going to leave on the bench.

i relied on Brady all year, and pre-Gronk he was awful. i have little confidence in him post-Gronk, and the match up seems better to play Big Ben.

fortunately i hung on to Cameron in this league, so no worries there.

i hate sitting Brown, but Tate has such a gravy match-up as opposed to Brown's facing a top 3 D.

in PPR i'm not quite ready to ditch Garcon, but Bowe has been doing really well the past few weeks, and going up against Oaklands leaky secondary, i again give him the start over Brown.

thoughts?

you have to go boom-or-bust with a bunch of backups probably, go with Smith for your flex over Shorts (Ravens will be throwing a lot with Detroit's great D-Line and bad secondary) and probably pick up Todman at RB. Ogbonnaya for the Browns would be a fantastic pickup if he's available, the Bears run defense has been awful lately and McGahee is probably done for the season. If one of them is available, they're definitely worth dropping Sanders for and starting over Donald Brown.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Cutler, Rainey, Gerhart, Jacoby Jones. Team Waiver Wire gonna stick it to MoP yeeeeeeeeeeah!

you have to go boom-or-bust with a bunch of backups probably, go with Smith for your flex over Shorts (Ravens will be throwing a lot with Detroit's great D-Line and bad secondary) and probably pick up Todman at RB. Ogbonnaya for the Browns would be a fantastic pickup if he's available, the Bears run defense has been awful lately and McGahee is probably done for the season. If one of them is available, they're definitely worth dropping Sanders for and starting over Donald Brown.
Obaygobonanayana is noton the wire.

you'd play Todman over Brown?

I see Todman as being a lock for 15+ touches if MJD is out (which is looking likely), probably more. Donald Brown has only hit that mark twice all season, and I'd imagine that Houston is going to lock up the run much better than Buffalo will. Brown is like a 50:50 chance to put up 1 or 2 points (he put up 2 last week, 0 three weeks ago) and in a playoff matchup against any respectable team you can't have a goose egg on your scoreboard. Todman's probably a guaranteed 50-60 yards with the possibility of a TD thrown in, and has a way higher ceiling than Brown does if he can fully replace MJD for a week. Brown's just too risky to start in the playoffs.

I see Todman as being a lock for 15+ touches if MJD is out (which is looking likely), probably more. Donald Brown has only hit that mark twice all season, and I'd imagine that Houston is going to lock up the run much better than Buffalo will. Brown is like a 50:50 chance to put up 1 or 2 points (he put up 2 last week, 0 three weeks ago) and in a playoff matchup against any respectable team you can't have a goose egg on your scoreboard. Todman's probably a guaranteed 50-60 yards with the possibility of a TD thrown in, and has a way higher ceiling than Brown does if he can fully replace MJD for a week. Brown's just too risky to start in the playoffs.
the projections are reversed, which makes me nervous, but ESPN sucks at those anyway.

what the hell.

rolling the dice.

so far:

Ryan Mathews - 18 | Eric Decker - 4

Alright I need some help fellas. There's $200 on the line here. I'm on the left.

I'm nervous about Cousins but he's the best I really got. Palmer is injured a little and against a sort of solid defense so I don't know if I can rely on him.

Marshall and Alshon are obvious locks, but should I go with Cooper or Jordy? Cooper has a better QB throwing at him but Jordy is probably the better receiver overall.

And then the fucking running backs. Will Peterson be back? Should I go with Ogbonnaya or Thomas or Ivory? :X

Cooper or Nelson is a tough call; your gut tells you Jordy because he's the more established receiver, but it just doesn't seem like he and Flynn have developed that chemistry. On the other hand, Foles seems to love throwing to Cooper (seeing nearly 7 targets a game with Foles as QB). If Rodgers plays (doesn't look good at this point), you start Nelson, no question. Otherwise, I would probably lean Cooper, with the upside that he can find the end zone against a beatable secondary.

Shane Vereen was on the wire in my PPR league for some reason.

starting him and Forte at RB, Bowe at flex over Brown/Tate

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Cecil Shorts plays through injury the entire season, then decides to sit out his first game during Week 1 of the playoffs. Shane Vereen, who had scored at least 15 in every game he played this season, chooses the same week to pitch a dud. To top it all off, I was forced to start Logan Paulsen at TE because Owen Daniels, Jordan Reed, AND Delanie Walker got injured this season.

Luckily my opponent is not having a great week either, but I am now projected to lose by 11 after being projected to win by 8.

EDIT: Unless Murray and KC Defense continue this pace...

Last edited:
yeah Vereen screwed me, should have started Tate like my gut said.

and Gordon managed to salvage a shitty performance at the last second, but Cameron went Stud-to-Dud again.

and i sat Brady against my gut too. Ben better at least equal 20 points.

Forte also under-performed.

and things look even worse in my money league, unless Romo + Bryant can get a rhythm going.

Todman was a good call though, 14 points and he looked GOOD.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
For the life of me I cannot figure out why the Cowboys will run the ball all the way down to the 5 yard line with Murray and then start calling pass plays when he's averaging like 12 yards per carry. They do this all the damned time!

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Jamaal Charles. Much godly. Very points. Such wow.

D-Jax continues his trend of two weeks of great fantasy points followed by two weeks of shitting the bed and repeat

And Nick Foles~

I started out poorly after thursday but now I'm getting top projections again

yayyy

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion

I seriously hope the Raiders' team plane fucking crashes and burns... on the way to San Diego next week because they're at home this week jesus christ come on I actually had a shot at this before THE OAKLAND RAIDERS HAPPENED

looks like im gonna win the consolation prize of league d a tleast and considering i beat imo the best team the last week, i feel like i would have won the entire thing. missing out on playoffs at 8-6 suck especially when my team completely just dominated everyone near the end T_T

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
To be perfectly honest Del Rio totally deserves this after spending the first half of the season being screwed harder than almost anyone I've ever seen in fantasy lol. Even if I manage to beat Nubject this week I would have to have the game of my life to keep up with DR's ridiculous points pace.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)