1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Smogon Grand Slam II - Introduction

Discussion in 'Smogon Grand Slam' started by Vinc2612, Jul 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinc2612

Vinc2612 IT'S VINCE DUMBASS
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

[​IMG]

Hello everybody! The Smogon Grand Slam is a tournament from last year, originally hosted by Iconic. It is meant to represent every BW tier, allowing you to play the UU, RU, Uber, NU and LC metagames in a high-level tournament setting with a trophy on the line.

Here is a quick reminder of the format: The Smogon Grand Slam consists of five separate tournaments: The UU Open, the RU Open, the Uber Open, the NU Open and the LC Open. As is the case with the Official Smogon Tournament, each Open is a single-elimination, best-of-three tournament. You will be awarded with points depending on how well you do in each Open. The point system is the same as the one used in the Smogon Tour. The eight players with the most points after the five tournaments qualify for the playoffs, where battlers will duke it out in a best-of-five series (UU, RU, Uber, NU and LC) until one man is left standing and a champion is crowned.

Since it is an official tournament, in addition to fame and celebrity, you will play for the turquoise trophy awarded to the winner: [​IMG]

Signups for each Open will be posted after the completion of round one of the previous Open, which would probably last ten days. The hosts are allowed to play in the tournament they administer, but they must elect someone else to create pairings if they decide to participate in their own Open. Here is the list of the five Opens along with the names of the hosts and the dates each Open will be posted:
    • The UU Open - Hosted by kokoloko (July 22th)
    • The RU Open - Hosted by Oglemi (August 5th)
    • The Uber Open - Hosted by bojangles (August 19th)
    • The NU Open - Hosted by Zebraiken (September 2nd)
    • The LC Open - Hosted by blarajan (September 16th)
    If there are any questions or concerns feel free to post them in this thread and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. Big thanks to Earthworm, Bloo, Aldaron and Iconic for helping to get this tournament off the ground. Also kudos to Stellar for the awesome tournament names.

Keep in mind this tournament will be BW2 for its entirety. If tier shifts occur during a round, they will be taken into account in the subsequent round.

Good luck everybody!

For obvious reasons, I will edit the points onsite only at the end of each Open, but I will maintain a Google spreadsheet with current min/max points during the whole tournament.

If there are any questions or concerns about the tournament, feel free to join #gslam on IRC. I hope we will see some great battles there!

The current standings are available here: http://goo.gl/rkS0M7
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
    Kushalos, Ashley11, Level 51 and 11 others like this.
  2. BLINGAS ♥

BLINGAS ♥

3. Bloo

Bloo
    is a Tutoris a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris Smogon Frontier's Pike Queenis a Past WCoP Winnerdefeated the Smogon Frontier
    Head TD

The death of McMeghan begins.

Predicting kokoloko's and blarajan's Opens to be the most rigged and worst-hosted of the five.
  4. Furai

Furai a Ωdefender // a αguardian
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

5. blarajan

blarajan holla ladies #£14000 #bling #sparkle #bitchesonmydick
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Little Cup Co-Leader

Predicting Bloo's runs through the opens to end at R1 each time.
  6. Oglemi

Oglemi I love you wonderful Minun-Kun!
    is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris an Administratoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    C&C Leader

predicting blara to choke in the finals
    Soul Fly likes this.
  7. Furai

Furai a Ωdefender // a αguardian
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

i got you bro
  8. Lavos Spawn

Lavos Spawn
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

[18:51] <&undisputed> grand slam is like the special olympics of smogon
  9. Leftiez

Leftiez *Stars*

GL everyone
    Kingler12345 likes this.
  10. Ciele

Ciele
    is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a GS1 Winner

Yeah, it's worse than having a tournament where you can get a trophy without playing a single game. GS really needs to be converted into an OU tournament with ~10 possible winners, then it might be somewhat prestigious.
    oSeasons, TPO3, Kingler12345 and 47 others like this.
  11. Iconic

Iconic
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

lol gottem

cielery rules
  12. dice

dice follow @smogmogu for hot content
    is a Contributor Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Arcade Star

dam ciele
  13. Houndoomsday

Houndoomsday

14. Hot N Cold

Hot N Cold PLUTO
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

yep, finally

nice :toast:
  15. Level 51

Level 51 by far the worst
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

I hope I get more than 4 points this time
  16. Kenny

Kenny don't expect me

sounds like fun, good luck everyone :D
  17. xtra$hine

xtra$hine xtraDOLLARshine
    is a Past SPL Winner

In but predicting SIU to win
  18. ~GreenCore

~GreenCore Hardwire

19. kokoloko

kokoloko supersmooth
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Past SPL Winner
    UU Leader

smd bloo how dare you incorporate my name with that of such Scum

also in it to not place 9th this time fuck it all
  20. Windsong

Windsong .dancin
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

ciele cutest user 2013 lgi
    Jukain and CrashinBoomBang like this.
  21. HSA ♥

HSA ♥ I am the God of the new world.

Clavos Spawn is a perpetual imbecile that should be admitted into a mortuary on the condition that he was defenestrated by an ardorial reaction caused by a vehicular collision. Undisputed too.
  22. Chisposo

Chisposo

predicting sogeking to lose in R1 n_n
  23. The Unlucky one

The Unlucky one

I thought Ubers would be before UU so i practiced the shit out of it I suck at UU i will lose the slam
  24. Coren37

Coren37

Let's get it
  25. Windsong

Windsong .dancin
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

rofl and they call ME am jr

although it's all about horse crashes now hsa j/s
    Jukain and Hot N Cold like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)