Smogon Grand Slam IV - Introduction | Read post #76

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Vinc2612 Ciele Oglemi

I think we should make Grand Slam this year top 12 just like the Smogon Classic. With the increase in player base with ORAS and simply an increased player base year by year, and the fact that we have six tiers in this (and last) Grand Slam, I believe that 8 is just too few for playoffs. However, I agree that 16 was and still is too easy of a point threshold to meet. Thus, I believe that we should compromise and adopt a top 12 format just like the Smogon Classic, with the top 4 seeded players automatically reaching the quarterfinals, and with the 5-12th seeded players having to battle it out bo5 for their spot.

Thoughts? Top 16 is too many, top 8 is too few, so let's Goldilocks this shit and make it top 12.
make it top 16. 9-16 play round 1, then those winners play 5-8, then quarters. gives more people a shot and heavily incentivizes getting top 4.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Vinc2612 Ciele Oglemi

I think we should make Grand Slam this year top 12 just like the Smogon Classic. With the increase in player base with ORAS and simply an increased player base year by year, and the fact that we have six tiers in this (and last) Grand Slam, I believe that 8 is just too few for playoffs. However, I agree that 16 was and still is too easy of a point threshold to meet. Thus, I believe that we should compromise and adopt a top 12 format just like the Smogon Classic, with the top 4 seeded players automatically reaching the quarterfinals, and with the 5-12th seeded players having to battle it out bo5 for their spot.

Thoughts? Top 16 is too many, top 8 is too few, so let's Goldilocks this shit and make it top 12.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/smogon-grand-slam-iii-introduction.3511668/page-2#post-5790508

??????

Also what Afro said.

yes, top 16 is too easy, just like I have said every grand slam? You can make top 16 without having even really done well in the opens. Not sure what the point of your post is, especially referencing afro when I've made top 8 in two of three???

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
yes, top 16 is too easy, just like I have said every grand slam? You can make top 16 without having even really done well in the opens. Not sure what the point of your post is, especially referencing afro when I've made top 8 in two of three???
watch as you get bodybagged r1

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
this will work almost exactly like the Classic. players compete in the opens, the best performers move into playoffs and fight each other in a best of 5 according to their seeding (#1 in the opens will fight #8, etc). additionally @ the few above, you do not have to post "in" on this thread to compete - you do when you choose to join each individual open. =)

Accel

thanks for the memories
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
this will work almost exactly like the Classic. players compete in the opens, the best performers move into playoffs and fight each other in a best of 5 according to their seeding (#1 in the opens will fight #8, etc). additionally @ the few above, you do not have to post "in" on this thread to compete - you do when you choose to join each individual open. =)
Just playing around no worries :]

1 day left lezzgooo

Will there be a statement on making this Top 12 playoffs? I think that's a really good idea especially since I think this has more participants then Classic.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
So I know you can only pick up to 5 opens, but what if you decide to do only 1 or 2? Do you have to do the 5 to get to the top? It's not like I'm gonna win this (Unless I get the best of luck or soemthing) but I'm just asking.

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE
So I know you can only pick up to 5 opens, but what if you decide to do only 1 or 2? Do you have to do the 5 to get to the top? It's not like I'm gonna win this (Unless I get the best of luck or soemthing) but I'm just asking.
No you can make it to top 8 without playing all 5 opens. Of course it is not likely to happen with just 1-2 opens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)