Playoffs Smogon Grand Slam IV - Play-offs - No Winner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eo didn't say Grand Slam will be deleted forever but it will be discussed.

Tbh the problem is that people that don't usually play subtiers join these tours and then ask ghostings cuz they cant play them properly so where's the fkn sense in joining them (same can be said for Classic I guess)
Maybe to learn the tiers for the enjoyment of playing pokemon? The same reason i slowly improved my OU battling skills, going from being first rounded in every smogtour i ever entered to at one point, actually having a chance to make playoffs after i made finals one week.
It's like you're justifying ghosting here?

Tbh, the main problem is that these players who get ghosted enter too many tournaments at once and never put the time and effort to build themselves a team or to take it seriously enough to bother learning the tier. It's like, if you know you're not going to put effort in, don't bother entering. If you know you won't build or play by yourself, don't get your friends to play for you, because that's what asshats do.

I'm not justifying ghosting I'm just saying that it's nosense. Just don't join tournaments you can't afford to imo js

Tele

a quality human being
This whole tournament scene is really dumb and arbitrary, since there's NO WAY for ghosters or ghostees (?) to get caught if they do it properly. You really have to rely on "honor", which gets easily set aside when a contestant has winning and only winning on his mind.
I shed a tear.

So called ladder heroes get constantly told that ladder means nothing and tournaments are the place to prove your worth; how is that any true in the lights of these facts?
I shed a tear again.

you told it like it is

respect

Whoa, man. Get me a band-aid; I think I just cut myself on your edge.

You said yourself the following:

So what the fuck do you want me to do?
I dont know but back when I was little and we played hide'n'seek and we caught someone cheating we usually called it quits and went our separate ways

Maybe we all need to stop acting like tournaments for a game that's basically a glorified dice(kek)roll are a big deal; this is as far as the tours will go; any further growth and this cheating shit will grow exponentially as stakes grow higher.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
I dont know but back when I was little and we played hide'n'seek and we caught someone cheating we usually called it quits and went our separate ways

Maybe we all need to stop acting like tournaments for a game that's basically a glorified dice(kek)roll are a big deal; this is as far as the tours will go; any further growth and this cheating shit will grow exponentially as stakes grow higher.

There are no 'stakes' because in 99% of the tournaments in this site there isn't a prize worth money. People play for prestige, if they are shamed for getting ghosted, they aren't winning anything, even less if they are actually caught like it's been happening lately. If you think this game is just a dice roll it's fine, just don't get involved in tournaments, nobody will care.

That being said, can I get my OST9 trophy?

Thanks for your opinion; you're free to do just that. We don't need people with your unproductive defeatist attitude in this community.
Allright here's the only possible solution; hold the tournaments in a singular place, say New York, where you can monitor the contestants. If for some reason you aren't able to do this, there's no other solution.

Sorry for being harsh but as some may say, it be what it be. Bigger tours equal more glory for the winner(s), which equal more cheaters. With no way to act other than in retrospect, the tournament scene is kinda fucked. What's the point of tournaments even being held in the future when cheaters can gain an unfair advantage and win them, and all you can do is negate the results afterwards and even that only if the cheaters confess?

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
Newrof didn't exactly confess. There are actual things being done so that ghosting is less of a problem. Just because you cant see it doesn't mean that discussions aren't happening, they're just kept private.

There are no 'stakes' because in 99% of the tournaments in this site there isn't a prize worth money. People play for prestige, if they are shamed for getting ghosted, they aren't winning anything, even less if they are actually caught like it's been happening lately. If you think this game is just a dice roll it's fine, just don't get involved in tournaments, nobody will care.

That being said, can I get my OST9 trophy? ty

Prestige and appreciation are things people are willing to cheat for; sure they know themselves that they cheated, but with no way for the major public to find out, they'll still get a prestigious trophy next to their username.

The diceroll thing was a bad meme; sorry.

can we just admit the fact that Grand-italian-Ghosting-Slam-Run-Bloo-squad is doing some serious underground-business to fuck up even recreated brackets of official tours so smogon will never be taken seriously again ?

mael

not the same but equal
is a Community Contributorwon the 14th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion
he's saying that ladder might be a better competitive environment and that people going off about how ladder sucks and tournaments are the real thing should reconsider what they're saying. nowhere did he claim that you should scrap tours and that's it. did you read his post?

When ur trying to win a tour but suck too much to do it on ur own: Enter Grand Slam.

Edit Marikeinen : Your posts are just bickering without providing a solution aside from "lets scrap tours" which basically defeats the purpose. Maybe think a little bit more before you start posting nonsense next time.
That's because there can be no practical solution, since there is no way to monitor the participants. As I said, the only way to do that, would be to gather all the players in a single location, which isnt practical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)