1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Smogon in the News

Discussion in 'BW OU' started by RBG, Nov 16, 2011.

1. RBG

RBG It feels like a perfect night to dress up like hipsters
    is a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Facebook Manager

2. Eternal

Eternal
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Reppin' SBU
  3. KnightoftheWind

KnightoftheWind
    is a Past WCoP Winner

Seriously?
  4. Molk

Molk tfw zoroark
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    RU Leader

this makes me truely happy that pokemon is going out to more areas such as stony brook, im happy smogon was in the newspaper as well.
  5. TM13IceBeam

TM13IceBeam

uh-huh.
  6. bearsfan092

bearsfan092

As a university student, I really wish there was more of a Pokemon following here. It'd be nice even if they were casual, as most competitive players started casual at some point. I think a club like this would be conducive to that, but I don't have the time or willpower to establish a club like that.
  7. BiGGiE

BiGGiE bangin' on a trash can
    is a Battle Server Moderator

I've actually been to this club once or twice, as I was a student at SBU. They have a bunch of pretty cool clubs here; a couple of friends of mine just started up a proper video game club. Nice article.
  8. Birkal

Birkal CAW
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    CAP Head Mod

Why must you resort to Whimsicott, Almon ;__;

Pretty cool article. I wish that competitive Pokemon (or even Pokemon in general) had a public following at my college. Thanks for sharing, RGB!
  9. Joeyboy

Joeyboy Check out my Youtube channel! JoeyboyGames!
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

Very cool, my feelings mirror everyone elses. "I wish my college had a bigger pokemon following" :) Smogon getting some well deserved publicity woo woo!
  10. jessifer

jessifer

It's great to see competitive pokemon battling get more attention.
  11. Dark Arceus

Dark Arceus

Honestly can't tell if this is serious... (The quoted post not the topic)

Great that Smogon is getting more credibility though (Ignoring the Gym Gym leader thing). (If anyone actually reads these articles) Maybe this could be a good step towards the people who work on pokemon recognizing Smogon. I just hope nintendo never follows Smogon tiers for official tournments if they take notice of Smogon from any news source. The only thing they should follow is events allowed (Barring Darkrai and Arceus for obvious reasons (Maybe shaymin but not skymin?)) but they never will because they don't want people complaining about how unfair it is if they don't have said event (I mean event legends) and many will think a player is hacking and it will anoy a judge to no end if they have to do like 5 hack checks each round in a tournement.

Sorry about the off topic ness of that. But I do believe the people who work on pokemon tournements should notice this site and realize how certain pokes aren't OP just for being events.

Also read the thing about how it's the best (don't quote me on that may have miss read) site in America. This makes me curious about comepetitive Japanese sites and if they exist.
  12. Ace Emerald

Ace Emerald Professional
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Visual Media Head

Legit. I wish my school-- oh wait I live in the middle of nowhere.
  13. Eternal

Eternal
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

They do, but they're quite small compared to Smogon.
  14. Fizz

Fizz

Cool that Smogon got some recognition but MAN was that article terribly written. Just horrible. Knowing that that was written in a university newspaper made me value my college education just a little bit less.

Edit: For example, listing that many banned items would be completely unnecessary to somebody who plays the game, and completely meaningless to somebody who doesn't. What in god's name was the point?

Length?
  15. Firestorm

Firestorm I did my best, I have no regrets!
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Heh I'd wondered the same about the detail but that might be it Fizz. Especially if there was a layout they were trying to fit it to on print. Although there's a lot of other ways they could have done it.
    They do read this site. They just have no reason to change their bans and likely never will. It has nothing to do with being over or underpowered. Why make a complicated list based on arbitrary definitions of power when a simple clear-cut one (event legends and cover legends) works so well already?
  16. breh

breh
    is a Smogon IRC AOP

lol yeah this really does have little to do with competitive. I'd rather something like vgc was covered; it's a lot easier to look like a good player (to an outsider) on PO if you have a silly title like "gym leader" attached to your name, but the same cannot be said of VGC, in which you actually have concrete prowess (1st at a regional, top 8 at worlds, w/e).

still, interesting to say the least.
  17. Eraddd

Eraddd One Pixel
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

The article could use some QCs and GPs. Seriously.
  18. Fizz

Fizz

I know the GP team isn't generally allowed to reject articles but maybe they would have made an exception for this.
  19. BurningMan

BurningMan fueled by beer

Didn't they banned Dark Void in VGCs, because it was overpowered?
  20. Terraquaza

Terraquaza We're just particles of dust, brushed from the palm of a god
    is a Tiering Contributor

You need a Darkrai (which is quite hard to get for many players) to teach your smeargle darkvoid. Guess that's the reason.
  21. PkMARIO

PkMARIO

Doesn't using Metronome to get Dark void work?
  22. waterwarrior

waterwarrior

^Someone who didn't go to the VGC

EVERY Smeargle had Dark Void. And Smeargle was on 1/2 of teams. That's why they banned it, not because one person did it.
  23. Firestorm

Firestorm I did my best, I have no regrets!
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

That's no where close to true...
    No reason given. It was annoying, could prolong matches, and was quite a powerful move. Maybe they just didn't like it? In any case it's irrelevant. Our role as competitive players is to take the tools we have and play to win within the rules provided. Their role as tournament and game designers is to create an environment in which we can do that.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)