Role Playing Smogon Pathfinder Society

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Approved by Lightwolf

What the fuck is Pathfinder and why should I care?

In 1974 Gary Gygax invented Dungeons & Dragons. What he didn't know at the time was that he had created the first customizable element game, decades before other CEGs like Magic the Gathering or Pokemon. Gary Gygax wasn't worried about game balance, he just wanted a multi-person storytelling device. In his mind, no one would want to play as the rank and file Fighter, and the Wizard was of course the most powerful cause that is how it worked in the Lord of the Rings.

However, Dungeon & Dragons captured the hearts of pre-video game nerds everywhere. Over 35 years and 7 revisions, the game became much more balanced and interesting. Games like Skyrim and Fallout 3 only attempt to capture the thrill of tabletop gaming; an immersive experience where you are totally in control. Then Wizards of the Coasts made 4th Edition D&D with the primary intent of selling collectible miniatures, everyone hated this.

But like at the end of the Two Towers when Gandalf appears with a ton of guys on horseback to save Helm's Deep, the gaming company Paizo used the Open Gaming License to create Pathfinder, now hailed as the spiritual successor to Dungeons & Dragons. Come friends, whether you be an Elven Sorcerer, Dwarven Paladin, Gnomish Rogue, or so on, come slay dragons with us! Fame and treasure are on the horizon!

Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Society is a much more relaxed pulp fiction sort of environment compared to the sometimes year long quests that you can play with friends. You create a character, show up to events with approx. 4-hour long adventures, and leave with loot and experience (for every three scenarios you gain a level). In this way, you can think of Pathfinder Society as sort of a Massively Multiplayer Roleplaying Game. You can take your character from any Smogon PFS game and play locally in Pathfinder events all over the world.

PFS Website said:
Pathfinder Society Organized Play is a worldwide fantasy roleplaying campaign that puts YOU in the role of an agent of the Pathfinder Society, a legendary league of explorers, archaeologists, and adventurers dedicated to discovering and chronicling the greatest mysteries and wonders of an ancient world beset by magic and evil.

The campaign’s home base is sprawling Absalom, the so-called City at the Center of the World, that stands astride the great Inner Sea on the mountain-capped Isle of Kortos. A Pathfinder’s adventures explore the dark alleys and political intrigue of Absalom between far-flung travels to the most interesting and exotic locales in the world of the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game.

In Pathfinder Society Organized Play, you play a member of the Pathfinder Society, seeking fortune and glory all over the face of Golarion. At the same time, your character works for one of the competing factions, all with their own motivations and secret agendas.

Play is organized into Seasons, throughout which the actions and achievements of you and your fellow Pathfinders create an ongoing storyline. Each season consists of at least 28 Pathfinder Society scenarios (short, 4-hour adventures) set in a variety of exotic locations across Golarion.
Beginner Help

For any event you can either create your own character or use a pregenerated character. Using a pregen character gives you a credit towards leveling up any created character. Like Pokemon there is a lot to learn about the d20 system. While not a necessity, purchasing a copy of the Core Rulebook would give you the most thorough understanding of the basic rules. On the plus side, it's also a fascinating book to read through with great artwork. The most comprehensive source of information, if a little overwhelming, is the Pathfinder SRD. If you want to make a character using it, I would recommend starting here. Finally, I'll be making a social group with much more beginner help. The link to that guide is here.

The FREE Guide to Pathfinder Society Organized Play is also required reading regardless of your experience level.

Events

I'll be doing alternating Saturdays right now. The next event is on Saturday, February the 30th, at 12:00 PM PST. I need 4-6 players, please RSVP below. If the date works for you but the time does not, please say so.

These games will be held over IRC, we meet in #flamel. Feel free to get in contact with me to talk about character creation or pregens, I am here to help.

Event Rules

PFS Scenarios are structured like single events. You have no commitment to show up to all of them, or to attend in any order. These are based on in person events usually run in hobby shops. On the internet you often take for granted the rules of common courtesy, but if you attend an event you will show the same basic respect as if you were meeting in person. The following rules are absolutely necessary to ensure that scenarios are run in a timely manner and don't drag past 4 hours. To break these rules is not just inconsiderate towards your GM, it's inconsiderate towards every other player.

1. If you RSVP, set aside plans and be prepared to show up on time.
2. Do not multi-task on the internet while playing; this has been proven to waste time for everyone.
3. Pay attention to the game; if you have to scroll up on IRC or have someone explain to you what has happened, you are wasting time.
4. Be ready to act on your turn. Think about what your character would do before it is the time to do it. This is a common rule in person.
5. If you have to go afk we understand, but please tell people.
6. As soon as you have 2 Prestige, buy and keep a stock of Wand of Cure Light Wounds or Wand of Infernal Healing. You cannot expect others to spend their money healing you.

Finally, you will need to register yourself and your character on the PFS Website. Please take care of this before showing up.

I could come if the time were 4 hours earlier, as I have the Fall holiday for the whole week and could stay up late even on weekdays, but starting at 3 am is a little bit too rough :)

I can wait until you hold it on the Friday/Saturday afternoon timeslot sometime. I'm sure it'll happen sooner or later. (Also magus is the best class.)

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
The first session of Pathfinder Society ran a little long due to some, er, complications, if you are in the next Saturday game, bring powder bombs. But there were some great moments, some comedically bad ideas but also some really smart plans. Though it dragged a bit, it was a good start for Pathfinders General Spoon, Raikage, ginganinja, maxim, and temparentia.

I've scheduled the next two games for Saturday, November the 3rd at 12:00 PM PST and Wednesday, November the 7th at 5:00 PM PST.

Even if you played in the last session, please RSVP below if plan on coming.

RSVP List

Saturday:
Agape
Maxim
Lightwolf
ofstatic

Wednesday:
Temparentia

Uh...putting down a tentative RSVP down for Wednesday. I WILL come to one of these for the full four hours, though if I do come Wednesday I may be a couple minutes late as I have something to do from 6:00 to 6:50 PM (Central Time).

Chances are if I'm not there by roughly ten minutes from start I'm not going to be there, otherwise I'll see you all there :)

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
So we had our first death in the last scenario. It sucks, but we will mourn the loss of Colm (Temparentia) and strive boldly forward!

The next games are on Sunday the 18th (at Agape's behest) and Thursday the 22nd (so that it isn't on my birthday). RSVP please!

18th:
General Spoon
Agape
Temparentia

23rd:
TAS
Maxim

RSVP:ing for Sunday, 2 things though: My calendar lists Sunday as the 18th, not the 17th (I can do Sunday the 18th but not Saturday the 17th). Also hopefully I got the time right through all these DST adjustments, 7h 30min from this timestamp forward, right?

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
The next sessions will be Saturday the 1st at 12PM PST and Wednesday the 5th at 5PM PST. Please RSVP everyone this time, it led to complications last time when players didn't.

Both sessions will be First Steps Part 3, which will conclude the First Steps and put us into faction mission territory!

Saturday:
General Spoon
Maxim
Temparentia
Agape
Lightwolf
lareman

Wednesday:
theangryscientist

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)