Role Playing Smogon Pathfinder Society

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I found this really great survey on the Paizo website. While it is a great exercise I really wonder how much other players would read each response. Since we are a more closer knit community, I think this would work better for us.

Anyone who answers these 10 questions honestly and thoroughly gets one free reroll when I'm running scenarios. You may complete this survey with multiple characters to get multiple rerolls.

1. Why are you a Pathfinder?
2. Do you have a name and surname that is not ripped straight out of existing Earth mythology or popular culture?
3. Which nation did you grow up in? How did this nation influence you?
4. What do you look like? What are your wearing? How does this vary when you’re stalking through forests, sewers, deserts or in glittering cities?
5. What do you love? (Treasure and experience doesn’t count)
6. What do you hate? (Unclear and irritating darkness level rules don’t count)
7. Which other Pathfinders (PCs) do you rely on for teamwork, survival and butt-kicking? Do you have a bro? a mentor? a father figure? maybe a rival?
8. How does your race influence your views? Are you a stereotype of a certain race? How are you different from most humans/elves/gnomes/orcs/tengu?
9. What are you afraid of? Do you have any phobias or worries?
10. What is your most treasured possession?

I'll answer with my character later.

Berry answering

Great idea posting that survey here, Von!
Berry Frenzu said:

Hi all! I'm Berry Frenzu but you can call me Berry! ...Why am I a Pathfinder, huh? It lets me explore new places and people! Mostly people, though. I love to make friends! It's so exciting! Also the Venture-Captains are such a big gruffs that they need someone like me to make them smile! I guess I don't exactly need the Society but being a Pathfinder is fun and I'm fun so I'm a Pathfinder!

2. Do you have a name and surname that is not ripped straight out of existing Earth mythology or popular culture?

Aww I don't know about Earth :( Never visited there... What kinds of people live there? My name? Well my family name I got from my family which is a little bit weird since I'm an orphan and I got my first name from my nickname back in the orphanage and it kinda caught on but I think that the family name is from the western Inner Sea because of the syllables Thuvia? Rahadoum? Cheliax? I don't know! I really should find out about my parents so that someday I could go home...

Well my parents ship got wrecked on the shore of Varisia and I was raised in a Varisian orphanage it was sad at first but it got fun in the end. Do you want me to sing about it? ...aww... Alright so from there I was picked up by a travelling gypsy dance troupe. I guess I've got my carefree, free and joyful spirit from them. Or perhaps vice versa! I also visited Taldor for some years, but that's a different epic of its own!

4. What do you look like? What are your wearing? How does this vary when you’re stalking through forests, sewers, deserts or in glittering cities?

Duh can't you see, silly! Now I'm wearing my old easy-to-wash circus outfit because it allows me to move freely in the cities and Chelish manors. When on a society quest I have two sets of armor, one all knight-y with shields and all and the other a little bit lighter with a barbed vest hung over it (protects me from those crazy Shoggoths!) I usually wear perfume when we are in some city quest, but not even always then, it's hard to wash off the scent afterwards.

I love to make my friends smile! I also love making new friends and getting them to smile! Some say that I also love my voice, and I really can't disagree with them!

Well I don't really hate anything except perhaps devils. Also unnecessary violence is bad and shouldn't be done. I also hate myself getting angry...

7. Which other Pathfinders (PCs) do you rely on for teamwork, survival and butt-kicking? Do you have a bro? a mentor? a father figure? maybe a rival?

Pullum is my best friend! He's always so supportive! I'm sure he would make it bearded in Taldor, he's that super. Sasha is a nice guy as well, his horse has such a shining mane! I look up to Elusive somewhat, I admit, she always has fancy dresses and manages to be so stealthy I'm awestruck every time she sneaks past me without me seeing. Such guise! Oh and Stardust also, I'm 100% certain he's bearded already. Oh and then there's Cal, Kyra, Meris... *keeps listing her friends for a while*

8. How does your race influence your views? Are you a stereotype of a certain race? How are you different from most humans/elves/gnomes/orcs/tengu?

A Race! You're on! Oh I get it, I just thought you could use some exercise, sitting behind your desk all day making statistics and all that :P I guess I am open-minded and a free spirit like most half-elves duh actually guess I am a stereotypical half-elf... But I'm unique nevertheless! I mean I have to be because I haven't met anyone else that were me except me, right? Though I guess I really don't let the elf side of me show that often, must be the human upbringing! I just can't understand those elven wizards locking themselves up to ebony towers for over a hundred years just to learn some minor cantrips. They might miss the world while at it! Although if learning cantrips is fun in their opinion... Hmm...

...The thing I'm afraid the most is my friends secretly hating and plotting behind my back. Life just wouldn't be worth living without friends to have fun with... Dragons, zombies, demons and other icky monsters are scary as well but that's nothing to be afraid of.

Uh I don't really like judging based on possessions or judging anyway... I'd rather define people and others from their personality and not by the size of their swords. I do cling onto this net, though. It's the only thing that was salvaged from my parents' ship!

So can I now have the cookie you promised earlier? Please :toast:

Caliniel Aldanae said:
To answer this question, you need to understand that when I was a newborn I was left on the doorstep of a tavern here in Absalom. The owners of the tavern were a human family, and they and their descendants raised me. This tavern used to be a place frequented by Pathfinders, though this isn't really the case today. Anyways, as I was growing up helping around there, I couldn't help but notice when Pathfinders who had been expected to return did not return, or when they did return short a member and sat in the corner quietly.

I became a Pathfinder to protect and help other Pathfinders to return alive.
Yes ((used some random elf name generator))
I grew up right here, in Absalom. It so happens that the family that raised me also owned a small brewery, so I began to learn about alchemical processes at an early age.
I have a few sets of clothes that I wear when not on a mission. When I am, I wear my long, thick, dark gray coat that has many pockets and straps to hold things. Because of its dull color, it is serviceable enough until I've time to clean it. It is roomy enough that I can easily wear some armor underneath it.

To tell the truth, I do not need to change my outfit because of the climate, within reason. I learned how to make something that keeps the temperature from bothering me.
When everybody makes it back to the Grand Lodge alive
Frivolous missions that endanger Pathfinders' lives nonetheless
Pullum is good at thinking outside of the box. Berry is good at being supportive, and is full of life.
Being raised by humans, I have noticed that I am a little different than other elves. Most of the ones I've spoken with don't think much of alchemy, which is a shame.
Survivor's guilt; I am afraid that someday I will be the only one to return from a mission.
Currently, I own the tavern and brewery that my adoptive family owned. They came into my hands a few decades ago, and I have kept them open and in good repair since, though the time is quickly approaching when I will give the operation to my great-great-nephew, and open my own business.
Anastasia Tarly said:
To earn money to buy nice things, like jewelery and outfits. I originally applied to the Society when they were recruiting people with wilderness experience. After seeing enough druids and outdoorsmen who were good at handling animals, they just started to hire people who were good at handling animals without bothering to see if they knew their other stuff. Which was fortunate for me, as I really don't have any wilderness experience, despite knowing about nature and how to befriend animals.
Yes. Moving right along...
I grew up in Nirmathis. Living in the Fangwood, I learned alot about nature and animals. I was even supposed to become a druid.
Well, obviously I am wearing a dark green ((Tyrolean)) hat with a red feather in it, a brown cape coat, and a dark green skirt. Also I am of course wearing a gold ring and a pair of sapphire earrings. While you of course can't see it now, though maybe you will get to if you stay a bit longer, I have a large tattoo on my back; autumn leaves in shades of reds, oranges, yellows and browns cover my back.

I do have other outfits that I will wear if the situation calls for it, but most of them are more practical than pretty.
The animals who are my friends are very important to me. The panther sitting beside me is Clare, of course. I found her lost, without a family in the Fangwood a few years ago, and raised her. She is a good friend, and it makes me sad that we'll soon be parting ways, but she deserves to have kits someday soon.

The ferret on my shoulder is Elizabeth. She found me one day, and hasn't left since. The rat here is Tabitha. Its ok, she doesn't bite. Christine is the mule outside, and she doesn't complain when I ask her to carry things. Joseph is the toad here. He doesn't like strangers very much, but we're working to help him get over that.

The bat underneath my hat is Abel. I found him with his wing broken, and helped him to recover. He wouldn't leave me after that, but I think its mostly because he finds my hair comfortable to sleep in. He actually doesn't make a mess out of it, thankfully.

Druids. How dare they say "we don't think that you have the right mindset to be a druid." To make it worse, by the time they got around to telling me this, my family had moved, which made it sort of not possible to go back to them.
Alexander, or Ally-boy, does a good job of holding my stuff. While he's cute, he's a bit too nervous to be a lady killer. Maybe I'll help him work on that someday. I've recently made friends with a Dwarven Pathfinder, Inmissam. Though I tease him a bit, I'm not sure if he notices it.
I don't think I'm a stereotype of humans...I mean I like nice things and I like having a good time, but that doesn't make me a 'stereotypical' human.
Lots of insects or rodents in a group. On their own animals aren't all that aren't scary, either because they simply aren't threatening or because they can be calmed down if they are upset that some Pathfinders are walking through their territory. But angry swarms of small animals can't be calmed down, and they can really do a lot of hurt to anybody who gets in their way.
My sorcerous powers. Without them, I wouldn't have really had any skills or abilities particularly noteworthy after the druids told me "no no you can't be one of us no no," other than an affinity for animals.

By the way, were you going to take me up on that offer?
Clare said:
Ana good friend to me; go with her
((No, but good luck figuring out where in popular culture I pulled this name from.))
Grow up in forest
Look like panther; kinda biggish black cat; I do not look much different in other places
Ana; she like a mother I never had, only better
That I will leave Ana someday to make family; I will be glad for it, but will still hate it when I am leaving her
Like Ana for being there for me. Also like those who help me defeat our foes
I have only met a few other panthers; they do not understand Common language as I do; Ana says this, among other things, make me smarter than most panthers
Afraid Ana get hurt when I not there
Like my strong teeth and jaw; with them I drag prey and foes to the ground

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
I'm going to run a game on Saturday the 19th so I need some RSVPs. Buuut this time I'd also like the level of the character you are going to be playing as, so I can figure out which scenario to pick up. This will be an ongoing practice from now on.

RSVP and Character Level

Saturday
Agape
Lightwolf
General Spoon
Maxim

Also, as you can see Wednesdays are indefinitely canceled. If you want me to host more than once/two weeks, please suggest some dates and times that are not too close to the Saturday. Alternating Saturdays are out for me, which is why I keep the Saturday schedule I do.

EDIT: Cancelling RSVP for Saturday

Aris Tel'zuul said:
The same reason I worship the Pale Priestess Urgathoa, and joined forces with Cheliax, power. If one wishes to gain in power, they must search for it. To me, the Pathfinders represented the best chance for me to obtain new knowledge and control over death.

Yes, the Tel'zuul clan has a long history tending the tombs of Osirion. I doubt you'll find many stories of their adventures...

Osirion was my homeland. However, my family had never been influenced by Osirioni politics, so our humble clan of gravekeepers were never very affected when the ruler of the day changed. At the age of 15, I fled both my kin and Osirion due to... unfortunate circumstances. If the tombs of Osirion taught me anything before I abandoned them, it was that ruling power is but temporary, death equalizes all men who have not received the blessings of Urgathoa.

I am pale-skinned, a rarity among Osirioni, but I have no attachment to my country or its people, so this doesn't bother me. My hair is black and well-groomed, often into into a topknot. However, I've been told that my face seems to be in a constant grimace, so I don't exactly seem friendly. I wear black, hooded robes with armor over them when the situation calls for it. When attempting to blend into a city, I will wear luxurious and fashionable clothing and jewelry. I'll take any chance I can get to infiltrate the filth that floats to the top of society and dismantle them from within.

I love power. I love power, and the deity who has blessed me with it, Lady Urgathoa. I owe her my life, and all I gain in it. Every time I summon a skeletal beast or a zombified human from beyond the eternal grave, I praise her for the unyielding gifts she gives to me so that I may defy the cold grasp of death.

Waste. To waste is to reject something given to you and is a heinous crime. Death is the greatest waste known to the world, and I exist to stave off and defeat it for the benefit of the worthy. How can one sanctify the end of one life when there could easily be a second, eternal one thereafter? Phantasma herself may someday try to stop my meddling in her domain, but I and the exquisite Lady Despair shall be waiting for her.

I rely on no one, though a strong body to throw into a crowd of thugs is always a boon. I haven't really bothered to get to know my companions, with the exception of.. the Elvish Bard. What can I say about that annoying waif that no other already has? Also, there's that headstrong sorcerer, Pullum. If you could consider one's natural response of wanting to strangle him occasionally as rivalry, then yes, I suppose I feel that much.

Race is incidental to me. I understand not all humans are so tolerant of the other humanoids, but to me, this difference is null. Race is a non-issue when all corpses animate in the same way.

Well, death is one fear of mine, but... Cats. Cats are devils that want only to watch the world burn. They are horrible creatures that sneak up on men who are doing some innocent grave-digging just to scare them into their mark's grave. Maybe it has to do with the time where I was trapped in the chamber of the cat goddess or maybe it was when "Miss Purr" ate my pet rat; either way,the entirety of the feline family is EVIL.

This may seem odd, but my right leg. Whenever I look upon the hideous, curse-bitten scars on my leg, I am reminded of the day I traded a pound of my own flesh for power over death and the blessing of the Lady. I smile every time.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Pathfinders are hunters of powerful magic relics are they not? There are many boons to being a Pathfinder. Money, fame, clout, power. I require all of these things. The world does not conquer itself.
I am named Jitabha Jagannoth Rakdurai, yes, of the clan Rakdurai. These are noble Vudrani names, befitting a noble Vudrani princess.
I am heir to the throne of all of Vudra! A nation the size of the very continent of Avistan! Or at least I was. In a short thousand years Vudra has gone from the supreme nation of war to a land of bureaucracy and "self-improvement". As a born natural leader I neglected my tutoring, but the last straw was some filthy rumor about my heritage. Whatever gave them the idea...
I am six feet tall as befits a warrior princess. Avistaneans have such light skin and Garundi so dark, I am somewhere in the middle as are all Vudra. I am a dark reddish brown of hair, almost black in certain light. Though I wear chain to protect myself, I cannot let the rabble make any mistake as to my importance from looks alone. Not even in forests, sewers, or deserts. To that end I wear the finest silks (my favorite colors are blue, purple, and salmon), furs, diamonds and other gems, and plenty of gold trim in the style of Vudrani robes. Also I have tiger striped ears. Vudra royalty are the blood of the tiger, and as one destined to extend Vudra's reign it is only natural that I be endowed with this trait.
5. What do you love?
I love luxury. When I am not on a mission or plotting, I am usually on vacation with the finest accommodations. I suppose I am just homesick, though nothing compares to the luxury I had there. I also love all of my vassals, I respect their wishes and I will see them rewarded when the day comes that I rule the world.
6. What do you hate?
I hate Irori and all of his followers. What a fucking douche. Way to single handedly ruin my country you asshole. We could have taken over the whole world by now, but then Irori becomes a god and he is all peaceful and he just wants people to sit and spin. I hate bureaucracy in all forms, especially when it comes at the expense of the common people underfoot.
7. Which other Pathfinders do you rely on for teamwork, survival and butt-kicking? Do you have a bro? a mentor? a father figure? maybe a rival?
I am still new enough to the Pathfinders in that being shuffled around regularly, I have not come to know any of them as much as I would like. As I recruit vassals, I will look out for their needs as is befitting a leader.
I am a paragon of the Vudrani race. I have discarded the trappings of our bureaucratic lifestyle for a the life of a proud warrior as was ancient tradition. Wait, what do you mean Tiefling? Where the fuck did you hear that!?
No one will ever know that I am afraid every day. Every day I fear that having been brought low, that is where I will stay. Every day I fear that I will never rule with a strong and righteous hand, and that more of these plebeians will be terrorized by evil or weak rulers. I fear destiny. If there was no destiny, I would surely write the future of this world myself.
I left everything in Vudra and I cannot look back. I treasure people now, and I will not take for granted any who join my cause.

Last edited:
To get away.
Yes.
I grew up in Cheliax, in the old capitol of Westcrown. It taught me to respect and work to attain power and strength. My father was an ex-monk, for reasons he didn't even tell me on his deathbed. He trained me, and I grew content in my strength. Fell in love, had two beautiful twins. And then, they were taken from me, because I wasn't strong or powerful enough and it hurt. I started running after that.
I'm of average to slightly above average height at 5'9". My pale skin is contrasted against my long, pitch black hair (kept in a simple ponytail), and my eyes are green (my father said they were the same shade as my mother's). I'm fairly well muscular, but I only wear modest wear: a simple shirt and pants to my knees over a plain set of shoes. I rely on meditation in temperature extremes, to become stronger. Or punish myself, I'm not really sure.
Booze and a small sapphire pendant from my late husband I carry in my pocket.
I hate those who disrespect the dead.
The dwarf, Inmissam, is competent enough, if he could ever find the time to hit anything. I don't have much experience with the others.
Being human doesn't influence anything. I value strength, and anyone can be strong.
I am afraid of staying and really remembering. A tankard of ale alleviates some of that problem.
A small sapphire pendant given to be by my late husband. It is the only thing I have left of them.

LightWolf

lightwoof
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
As many things I do, it is a mere mean that just offers the fastest way to my goals. Or at least at the beginning it was, now I enjoy the thrill it gives, I have never really felt like this outside of listening to my grandpa's stories.
Don't even bother asking about my real name, I threw that away the second I left my family. I am Pullum Inferni and will remain that till death. As for the origin, it's in an Ancient Taldor language, but now I believe the dictionary I used may have had a few mistakes in it...(It's Latin via Google Translate, damn you Google Translate)
For growing up in Qadria I was influenced very little by it, hard to be influenced by anything but your mother when she compels you to study... Doesn't help when they never let you leave the mansion...
I got fashion pounded deep into my brain, but as with anything what my mother forced on me, I dislike it. But one can't deny it's helpful, well dressed it's easier to accomplish my objectives, and it's not like I can't make them serve other purposes at the same time. Though unless I do need them, I'm fine with hiding behind my rugged cloak, it just feels... it just feels more like me, can't find any other explanation for it. Maybe it's because of my pale skin, I just want to cover myself from the sun, who knows if this is the result of being stuck in a mansion for my childhood or just my blood's work?
What a strange word this is, I guess one can say I loved my grandfather, the only family member I don't hate...
My family as I had already said, especially my mother. Who raises a child through various mind affecting spells? More recent? BERRY!!!
As much as I wish I could rely on no one, that's simply impossible. I'm not warrior to fight foes head on, I'm no thief to stealthily acquire objects, I'm no trained cleric to heal my wounds at reliable rate and so on. But a specific person? None, I just take what I get and manipulate them into helping me. The problem is when I'm given Taldor missions... Because damned Berry is Taldor sided too so I get stuck to work with her on whatever objective. I guess one could call Berry my rival, in some twisted way. Whenever I end up with her I feel compelled to hit my head into a wall a couple of times...
What is stereotypical human like in the first place? I have no idea and neither do I really care about it. But whatever it is I am positive I'm as atypical of a human as you can get. Name one who actively searches for their infernal ancestry fueled by thrill, paranoia, hate, curiousness and an oath. Yeah okay you can name me, good job, but that is beside the damned point!
Everyone, EVERYONE in our family who ever searched for our ancestry mysteriously vanished along with their closest relatives... NATURALLY I'M AFRAID! I don't know what got them, I have to fear every shadow, every Pathfinder, everyone I ever meet could be out to get me, to an extent I even understand why my mother kicked me out when she found out what I was doing... But paranoia has it's uses, at least I expect most things others might not think about... Oh and every time Berry opens her mouth a chill run downs my spine, does that count?
It's not really an object, but what I treasure the most is my bloodline, I'm not interested in anything material for the sake of wealth and a good life. I wish to become a wealthy noble only for the financial background it provides for the search on my inheritance. Taldor is just another mean for me to reach that quickly...

PFS Scenario RSVPs

As I have no classes on Monday owing to MLK Day, I plan to host a scenario this coming Monday. While the scenario I am hosting is the follow-up to the one I hosted last Saturday, it makes no difference whatsoever whether you played in that one or not.

I am tentatively planning to start at Noon CST, but if this time is too early for you, please make a note of it in your RSVP. I am very open to altering the starting time based on what you tell me (like, starting way later is fine with me), as I have nothing going on this day. So long as you let me know what time would work for you, I can probably find a time that works for everyone interested.

RSVPs:
LightWolf
HD
vonFiedler
Phoenix512
MrcRanger97
Aura_Guardian (tentative)

As of now it looks like we will begin at Noon CST on Monday.

No more RSVP please.

Tentative in for Spoon's session. Not sure whether I'll bring my pally that I meant to bring last time or just use the Samurai for consistency sakes but I'll be level 1 whatever the case.

I will RSVP for the Spoon's thing
Will be playing this toon for the first time.
EDIT: Time to answer the survey thingy.
I am a Pathfinder because I am constantly running, running from my past, for my life. All that running leaves me little opportunity to settle down and relax, so I keep running.
Yes in fact, I do. My name was something my father created for me. I am Tetalos D'Arald, and you should forget you ever heard of me.
I grew up in the city of Erages, in the nation of Kyonin. Growing up has taught me to accepting, because living in a half-elf settlement in an elven nation, you learn to accept others, because we all needed to stick together. I have also learned how to detest elves.
I am rather tall, but light. My fashion sense is very simple. I usually where my cloak and hide in the hood so people cant see my heritage and feel pity, I hate pity. I usually adjust to different environments as needed.
I love knowledge, I can not get enough of learning new things. The only other thing I love is my familiar.
I hate pity. Pity for my mixed heritage. I also have a strong dislike of the haughty elven overlords that rule Kyonin.
I have no one I can count on for support. I am used to working alone. But even I need help sometimes. I have no family left, not any that would care for me anyways...
As a Half-Elf, I will never live up to expectations my Elven teachers put on me, and I will always be frowned upon by humans for my mixed blood. I do not know if this is stereotypical for my race, for I grew up among other Half-Elfs who knew of my suffering. I relate most well with other Half-Elves, only they know of my pain.
I am afraid of snakes. I really dislike snakes.
My most treasured possession is my spellbook. It is the only thing I have left to remember my master by, The one elf who thought I was an actual person, and not a despicable half-blooded creature. He gave me my spellbook while I was training with him, and I have kept it ever since.

Hmm, with this many players perhaps we should consider hosting two overlapping sessions sometime instead of having 7-player tables with not everybody interested even getting in... (I could test that some Saturday if there were over 7 RSVPers)

Shards of Ice Part 2: Exiles of Winter

I just read the #flamel logs; I didn't have Harmless Performer because I multiclassed fighter and thus didn't get a third Bard level :P

I will be hosting Shards of Ice Part 2: Exiles of Winter this Saturday (26th) starting between 10 and 11 PM GMT+2, that is, the time Von's scenarios usually start but with one hour of leeway for me to arrive (+10/11 hours from this timestamp). This is because I'll be very busy that day and can't be sure if I'll make it to ten.

For the day choice (Saturday): I know it's been implied that sessions being held every Saturday is awkward, but Saturdays are the only times I'm able to hold a full-length scenario (maybe Fridays but CoT is usually on Fridays). I could move the scenario forward by a week but then it'd overlap Von's next scheduled scenario, I think.

If you want me to move it, tell me so here or in #flamel. The Scenario will be subtier 1-2 unless you want to play up in which case it will be subtier 4-5 (actually little easier than the scenario held last Saturday).

Sign-ups:
General Spoon
vonFiedler
Aura Guardian
Phoenix512
Lightwolf (pretty sure)
HD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)