1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Smogon Premier League 3 - Format Thread

Discussion in 'Smogon Premier League' started by LonelyNess, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Bluewind

Bluewind My appearance, ability, and awesomeness strike fea
    is a Contributor Alumnus

RU had 5 times more games than LC on the ladder
  2. Elevator Music

Elevator Music
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

It also dropped 8K battles in the last month, LC was fairly consistent
  3. Aldaron

Aldaron indefatigable workhorse
    is a Tournament Directoris a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administrator
    OU and IRC Leader

When I pmed Earthworm to lobby for RU, I also lobbied for LC. However, after our long discussion, we came to the agreement that official tier AND activity were important factors.

RU had more battles than Ubers even with NU possibly syphoning away a significant number of battles (over 10k); LC only had 2k battles.

It's unfortunate but it was hard for me to push for LC knowing it only had 2k battles (though I may push for it regardless in the future). Note RU had 18k the previous month and 20k the month before that.
  4. 6A9 Ace Matador

6A9 Ace Matador veni, vidi, vici, VERSACE, VERSACE VERSACE

yeah i'd much rather have a DPP UU or OU over BW RU the playerbase is tiny for RU, and DP UU had a far bigger userbase than DP Ubers and probably still has more people willing to play it for a tournament than willing to play RU.

oh and

it's not hard to be consistent at 2 k battles a month
  5. kokoloko

kokoloko supersmooth
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Past SPL Winner
    UU Leader

12 is better

- 1 BW OU
    + DP Ubers
    + DP UU

???
  6. Alan

Alan

since apparently its cool to argue for old tiers and ones that not a lot of people play, lets add rby uu to the list!?!!??!
  7. Solace

Solace darling i'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

i don't understand why you would WANT to have ties

the tier list seems pretty fair, pretty much a metagame for everyone

also i really don't think another dpp ou/uu/ubers slot even makes sense, its an old generation, and regardless of how popular it might be, it would make more sense to have a bw metagame (like lc) as another slot

even so, an even number of slots is pretty annoying, 11 just makes so much more sense
  8. Delta 2777

Delta 2777 Machampion
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion

I like this format
    Good job!
  9. Texas Cloverleaf

Texas Cloverleaf meh
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Very glad BW RU was added to the list, in my opinion and the opinion of a number of top players the tier is actually fairly balanced right now, with the only thing being banned last test being SmashPass. For the tiering decision coming up within the week nothing so far has been effectively proposed as a suspect yet. Also its invariably easier to consistently find battles on the RU ladder than the LC ladder and th leaderboards reflect this j/s.
  10. Ojama

Ojama Are you watching closely...
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Palace Mavenis the Smogon Tour Season 15 Champion

Let's add Dpp UU or DPP Uber. Lol BW RU...
  11. KnightoftheWind

KnightoftheWind
    is a Past WCoP Winner

I fail to see how ties are a bad thing, losing 5-6 is really lame.

I say add either DPP UU or Dream World OU.
  12. Heist

Heist
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

nice format. i like it
  13. uraga

uraga Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
    is a Contributor Alumnus

14. Go10

Go10 Storm Vanguard !

It doesnt, Farceus wasnt an official mons on this tier anyway.

Let's add DPP Ubers
  15. tennisace

tennisace another eggnog, please
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Social Media Chief

Can we all stop complaining and asking for changes? This is the best format yet and I'm really really happy there are no ties.
  16. undisputed

undisputed
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Frontier Lackeyis a Past WCoP Winner

format's good. congrats

i only question bw ru... are there established "good" bw ru players?
  17. Windsong

Windsong .dancin
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

You could take a look at this or this or this if you want, since most of the established "good" ru players, or at least the ones with the most experience are mentioned (or are voters) in those threads.

But yeah, I like the format!!
  18. zdrup15

zdrup15
    is a Battle Server Moderatoris a Contributor Alumnus

Thank you TDs for adding RU, it was a very good decision not to leave one of the most popular tiers out.

Yes, a whooping 1 thing (smashpass) was banned last round! And only one person on the Council used it. Now we probably won't ban anything. And lol at saying RU lost 10k battles when LC only had 2k...
  19. idiotfrommars

idiotfrommars schemes and plots are the same thing
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Add challenge cup to balance this out O_O

Jokes aside, love the format this year.
  20. Eos

Eos some people just want to see the world burn
    is a Battle Server Moderator

This looks great guys good job!

Even if I can't participate, this should be really fun to watch.
  21. FAFUS

FAFUS

I agree
  22. Kinneas

Kinneas
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

I think you should drop one of the BW OU slots and replace it with CAP ASB
  23. ENZ0

ENZ0
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

good format. as much as i like dpp ou over bw ru, i think they deserve a chance at proving that they aren't just a gimmick. bw ru has had enough time to bring up solid bw ru players, so im looking forward to that. if bw ru players end up coming short, ill definitely regret and be opposed to this next season, considering other metagames wish to have that spot.

looking forward to this season!
  24. TheFourthChaser

TheFourthChaser #TimeForChange
    is a Smogon IRC AOPis a Battle Server Moderatoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

25. jumpluff

jumpluff princess
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I'm glad RU was included, and agree with ENZ0.

While LC has a smaller playerbase and number of battles, making it harder to justify including, its playerbase is established, they have shown good activity in tournaments recently, and the metagame has been developed for awhile relative to most other BW metagames. I would have liked to see them given a chance in an official tournament, but other than that, I'm pretty happy with this resolution. (Disclaimer: I know nothing about LC or RU as metagames.) I feel like including it in SPL would have boosted its activity. Hopefully the LC ladder will be more active next time and can be reconsidered for inclusion in SPL.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)