1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Please refer to this thread for the current Smogon Tier Lists.
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Smogon Premier League 3 - Week 1

Discussion in 'Smogon Premier League' started by LonelyNess, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. commi$$ioner

commi$$ioner

won the rby slot machine vs royal flush gg
  2. Tobes

Tobes Woo-hoo, woo-hoo, woo-hoo-hoo!
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a World Cup of Pokemon defending champion

played like shit and loss to Ciele, gg and sorry team
  3. pi face

pi face a
    is a Past SPL Winner

i won in a gg
  4. Ciele

Ciele
    is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a GS1 Winner

I won against Tobes, good game.
  5. Go10

Go10 Storm Vanguard !
    is a Tutor

GG, sorry team.
  6. McMeghan

McMeghan Dreamcatcher
    is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Champion

I won via time-out.
    It's a team decision, not my own to take it.
  7. Bloo

Bloo
    is a Tournament Directoris an Administratoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winnerdefeated the Smogon Frontier
    Head TD

Ah Folgorio, you're lucky I'm not infracting you for taking my name and posting that; instead I'll just change your name back to Folgorio. inb4 Phil jokes.

Anyway, there are only a few times in Pokemon where a player has a game completely won, and badabing's case is one of them. Yeah, badabing "lost" a game he had 100% in the bag via timeout because his computer's horrible, and now you guys are taking the win. Cool.

McMeghan clearly had the game lost versus badabing; there's no two ways about it - McMeghan himself even admitted badabing had the game won. There was absolutely no possible way he could've won that battle against badabing. McMeghan was essentially defenseless against one of badabing's Pokemon - McMeghan couldn't touch it, and his only defense against said Pokemon was running out of PP to deal with the Pokemon badabing would eventually win with. So unless McMeghan hacked the server to somehow give his Pokemon more PP, he had no chance of winning. badabing was essentially 10 minutes away from winning versus McMeghan had he not timed out, but whatever man. I can honestly tell you if I were in your position, I would have rewarded your team with the win despite the time out rule instead of taking an undeserved win (not sure if Jackal would do the same, but you have my word I would). I'm sure Jackal will have a lot to say about this situation anyway when he sees what happened.

Since this will inevitably come up: before anyone comes up with any idiotic "oh yeah, badabing timed out because The Wolfpack were ghosting him; there's no way McMeghan could lose to him!," comments, just shut up now. If you actually saw the game, you could quickly tell badabing simply had to brainlessly switch between two Pokemon throughout the entire game and waste the PP of the only Pokemon on McMeghan's team that stood a chance of stopping badabing's one Pokemon.

Let's go team, we can still win this; that time out rule really should be re-defined somehow, heh.
  8. idiotfrommars

idiotfrommars schemes and plots are the same thing
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a World Cup of Pokemon defending champion

God I love SPL.
  9. Hikari

Hikari
    is a Past SPL Winner

Beat nails in a GG.
  10. Jackal

Jackal I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Ok well here are my thoughts: I understand why the timeout rule is there, I am the one who made it. It is to prevent stalling the timer / taking long on every move / to some extent ghosting. It is not there to determine the winner of a battle when one person lags out.

When someone lags out (which is what happened in this case, badabing moved as fast as his computer would let him) then it is to be treated as a disconnect. It is really that simple.

Luckily, we also have protocol in place for how to treat disconnects; I believe that in this situation one of those methods should be employed.

There is a very clear difference between timing out because you took too long and lagging out because you cant physically move. Let's acknowledge that distinction and act accordingly.
  11. Nails

Nails EAST 2014
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a World Cup of Pokemon defending champion

Confirming my loss

and badabing had a 100% win @stone and atticus. there was literally no way out for mcmeghan.
  12. JabbaTheGriffin

JabbaTheGriffin Stormblessed
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

gg tigres. glad things got interesting there at the end, that would've been a hell of a comeback.
  13. Fishy

Fishy

tsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss x 3
  14. badabing

badabing hevy hangs da hood,,

im really sorry to my team to give away a sure win (that even Mcmeghan acknowledged) due to technical problems. fuck po

also you clueless nigs cant predict worth a shit lmao i worked on him
  15. wilson46

wilson46
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Defeated Seven Deadly Sins, good game.
  16. LonelyNess

LonelyNess PK FLASH
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Ok, I've cleaned what I think is all of the shit out of this thread... don't fill it back up again or I'm going to start handing out infractions.

badabing is being awarded the win for a number of reasons...

I've looked at the log and except for that ridiculous triple scald crit + burn, there is literally no way for him to lose the match. We're talking about a scenario where badabing is like... more likely to be struck by lightning while simultaneously being eaten by a shark and that's how he loses the match than he is by losing it for real.

The other reason is because of the loopholes around DC/timeout rules, once he started lagging and found out he was likely to return (and subsequently time out) instead of just DC'ing... it would have been more advantageous for him to just close out the PO window and fake a DC... because then he would have had the option to replay the match up until the point of DC (if feasible to recreate the scenario), or replay with different teams. Both of these scenarios are more favorable to badabing than just being handed a loss.

Everyone is seriously getting far too caught up in what is and isn't 100% explicitly stated in the rules. SPL has taught us that it is IMPOSSIBLE to account for every single possible variation of potential rulebreaking and we can't have a million subsets of scenarios in the rule page. At some point we have to just use common sense, and common sense to me says badabing wins.
  17. Iconic

Iconic
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

logic prevails, thank you
  18. Alan

Alan

19. Cybertron

Cybertron Can't Hit WoW
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

20. R Inanimate

R Inanimate Grasp the earth, Grasp the World.
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

I think I've had a triple critical happen to me before, which led me to win the battle. No burns during the criticals though.
  21. Huy

Huy INSTANT BALLS
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

for the record, i lost my round 2 match in seattle 2011 to 3 quick claws iron head flinch crits in a row from an escavlier to my chandelure outside of trick room...weirder things have happened.

also congratulating the team raider pirate people on a well played match. we almost had that one =(
  22. Folgorio

Folgorio I KickTehAss
    is a Past SPL Winner

i won with the help of a p. good matchup gg
  23. kokoloko

kokoloko yes, this is dog.
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Winner
    Underused Leader

folgorio da champ
  24. Zebraiken

Zebraiken neca eos omnes, deus suos agnoscet
    is a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderatoris a Super Moderator Alumnus

ggs raiders

almost pulled it off after an 0-5 start >__<
  25. IronBullet93

IronBullet93 Sitting on a cornflake waiting for the van to come
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

gonna play FlareBlitz tonight or latest by tomorrow
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)