1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Smogon Premier League 3 - Week 3

Discussion in 'Smogon Premier League' started by LonelyNess, Jan 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gec

gec i've been crawling through the falling
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

lol = laugh out loud
  2. Ojama

Ojama May your scattered remains entertain me
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Palace Mavenis the Smogon Tour Season 15 Champion

The matchup was strange thats all, gg
  3. franky

franky
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Can I contest this based on the rules laid out here? Since SPL lacks a comprehensive rules list to justify situations like these, its only reasonable to look at the available rules list and fleshing out the rule that best correlates to Floppy and Conflict's situation.

"The timer must be on." This rule was probably made to prevent players from stalling each other. Having Floppy's win being robbed like this is complete hogwash considering the length of the game. Additionally, Floppy offered a rematch plenty times to avert from a longer game, in which Conflict rejected. His reasoning was probably rational but he probably knew the risk that went along with continuing the game.

Since Conflict timed out, its Floppy's decision whether to take the win or not and this is based on past events. You may rule this as a disconnect since Conflict was 'unable to move' - unlike badabing and McMeghan's case. There really is no proof to that considering the lack of server complaints about NB. Additionally, their game connection had been fine for 5 hours so there is no way Conflict was consistently lagging the entire game.

Since SPL lacks a stronger ruling for cases like these, a decision can't be made from thin air. So consider the rules you put up on site and why it was put there in the first place. Conflict didn't disconnect completely as he came back in the towards a meager time frame in which he was given a chance to make a move. I reckon that this would be considered a time-out instead of ruling it as a disconnection. And assuming the rule on site was created to prevent long matches like these from occurring, I'd like to believe that Floppy deserves the win, especially after playing 700+ turns in 5 hours.
  4. TV-Rocka

TV-Rocka
    is a Pre-Contributor

Won my #3 match with much hax and I lost #1+#2 matches with hax...
    The reason why we have to play RBY in the STour
  5. IronBullet93

IronBullet93 Sitting on a cornflake
    is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderator

sent vinc another vm hopefully getting it done tomorrow
  6. WhiteQueen

WhiteQueen boner dethroner
    is a SPL Winner

am has some of the gayest dpp teams ever. no one can beat him in dpp
  7. Jorgen

Jorgen World's Strongest Fairy
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Draw's the right call for Conflict-Gorgie; claims of who might be sufficiently at "fault" for the shameful length of the match or how it ended are dubious and independent of the actual result of the match (stalemate).

However, since I'm seeing so many stalls without teeth in SPL, would it be possible to have external moderation of GSC games? It sucks that people aren't playing with more than a modicum of offense, but if they're not going to, I'd think it'd be worthwhile to have a third party watch the matches and call obvious stalemates (where the game is dominated by both players pointlessly switching around for over 100 turns or so) to prevent this ridiculousness from playing out in the future.

EDIT: While I'm stumping for moderation, I might as well go out on a limb and say that the decision to use NBS exclusively for GSC was probably not a good one. Reflect actually does get factored in in-cart crits if the attacker's Attack stage is higher than the defender's Defense stage, and that's what happens on PO. Meanwhile, PO ignores Reflect if the attacker's Attack stage is equal to or lower than the opponent's Defense stage, whereas NBS doesn't ignore Reflect in crits... ever. Not to mention that NBS is riddled with game-crashing Pursuit bugs. PO's the better GSC sim at this point, so if anything, matches should exclusively be played there.
  8. LonelyNess

LonelyNess PK FLASH
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

This is all I'm going to say about the time out clause.

<Floppy> despite all this theorymoning i should take the win off of timeout
    <LonelyNess> Floppy I don't care about time out it is only there to prevent people from stalling out infinitely
    <LonelyNess> you are never meant to win via time out
    <LonelyNess> period
    <LonelyNess> if I can make a call instead of awarding a win via time out
    <LonelyNess> I will do so
    <LonelyNess> EVERY time
    <LonelyNess> there is almost never a legitimate reason to apply the time out rule and this sure as hell isn't an exception. The match was a draw by every reasonable metric, so that's where it's standing.

I'm getting pretty sick of all of this "then I guess I'm taking the win" talk. Stop trying to find ways to win your matches without actually winning your matches because as you can see in literally every single circumstance this season it has NEVER gone in favor of the person "just taking the win".
  9. JabbaTheGriffin

JabbaTheGriffin Stormblessed
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Since when did we back off of the hard-line "you timeout, you lose" rule

Seems like the current application of the rule just encourages timing out in tight matches (not to mention the current application of dcing rules encourage dcing)
  10. Lady Bug

Lady Bug 銀時 ☆彡 King of the Dessert ☆彡 銀時
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

11. McMeghan

McMeghan Dreamcatcher
    is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Champion

I won, gg.
  12. badabing

badabing hevy hangs da hood,,

i defeeted limitless in a gg
  13. Limitless

Limitless Success is the best revenge.
    is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Battling 101 Leader

14. Cristal

Cristal

Won in a gg
  15. Stellar

Stellar
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Orange Islands

Confirming, gg!
    Let's pull out a tie, Sharks!
  16. twash

twash
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Beat Malekith, gg.
  17. Malekith

Malekith
    is a Community Contributoris a SPL Winner

18. 6A9 Ace Matador

6A9 Ace Matador veni, vidi, vici, VERSACE, VERSACE VERSACE

19. Philip7086

Philip7086 Myuu
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Factory Headis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winnerdefeated the Smogon Frontier

sigh, am, your jokes used to be so good :(
  20. Aldaron

Aldaron All da lil birdies chirpin
    is a Tournament Directoris a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administrator
    OU and IRC Leader

just go with a fat phil one next time am those never get old
  21. BIG loven

BIG loven Not so little anymore

22. 6A9 Ace Matador

6A9 Ace Matador veni, vidi, vici, VERSACE, VERSACE VERSACE

yeah but your teams enough of one that i can take it easy on the humour

(phil fat/ let himself go/ unshaven)
  23. Crystal_

Crystal_
    is a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Won to Carl in a very long and close GG
  24. Carl

Carl or Varl
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

confirming
  25. Zebraiken

Zebraiken is it true what they say, that words are weapons?
    is a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator
    NU Co-Leader

lost in a gg to silentverse with help from a miss x)

sorry team :(
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)