Tournament Smogon Premier League 7: OU Discussion & Information Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

p2

Banned deucer.

approved by Celticpride (transfer approved by bludz)
This thread will serve as a place to discuss all things OU (even a little bit about the old gens !) in the Smogon Premier League tournament (SPL). For those unfamiliar with SPL, the way it works is that 10 teams, each leaded by 1 manager and 1 co-manager, draft players via live auction. This year's tier lineup is as follows:
  • ORAS OU
  • ORAS OU
  • ORAS UU
  • ORAS RU
  • ORAS NU
  • ORAS Doubles
  • ORAS LC
  • BW OU
  • DPP OU
  • ADV OU
  • GSC OU
  • Best of 3 (Bo3) RBY OU
Teams will compete for 9 weeks, determining the top 4 teams for playoffs. Members of the winning team get a shiny red trophy by their name o:

For more information on SPL, please see the following links:

Last edited:

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
From an OU perspective, I'm particularly looking forward to seeing Tesung and Leftiez doing work for the Falcons, given Tesung's current consistency and Leftiez' creativity they look the pair to beat. The German 1-2 of Cosine/xray will be up there too for Scooters!

From an OU perspective, I'm particularly looking forward to seeing Tesung and Leftiez doing work for the Falcons, given Tesung's current consistency and Leftiez' creativity they look the pair to beat. The German 1-2 of Cosine/xray will be up there too for Scooters!
we have destiny device so leftiez will start in bw

scooters and raiders have strong oras cores

bruno

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
This thread is so dead it makes me sad x.x

I'll try to revive it and give my thoughts on the ou slots, then! Not rankings my team cuz obv biased reasons(my b for bad english):

Strongest ou is prob tdk+cbb, both are extremely solid players, good builders, and with enough tournament experience to not make missplays and shit. Not much to say.

2nd would be Tesung + DD. Tesung is just destroying everything rn and it's pretty obvious he'll have a fantastic record this year again. Obviously would rank him #1 as strongest ou player this year in general, great building and more than enough tour experience. Echelon didn't have the best year, with his only wcop win being from the amazingness of twave vs sam, which is why this team is not ranked #1 in ou. But he's still a great player with great building and tour experience, and he has more than enough support from tesung, dice and Ary to get back into the game. Definetly expecting at least a positive record.

3rd goes to Cosine+xray. Cosine won/made finals of like 6 oras ou tours in one season. One of the best builders around atm, got far on a lot of tours too. xray also has nice builds and solid playing. Both have tour exp, nice plays n builds. In fact i think they are the strongest buildin core this season, as they love to build with each other all the time, so lookin forward to see what they bring.

4th's ben gay + mencemeat. Altho ben might be a bit rusty atm, he's known for being a fantastic builder, in fact i remember last year he'd just get the best team matchups ever for our team, so definetly great at preparing for the matchas, just gonna come down to how his playing is looking rn. Jamvad's been active all year, had an amazing wcop(unfortunately his team couldn't keep up rip), and is ready to smash the tournament. Only thing that worries me is his activity and the ammount of time he can put into building, but if he's active, he can beat anyone on this list.

5th is Reymedy+Improbable. Rey had like the worst ou record last year, but he builds like 10 billion teams and has the support from a lot of ou players from bigs, as well as a lot of tour experience and good playing. Improbable had a nice wcop and seems to be ready to show what he's got. Not the strongest oras core but not the worst either.

6th is PDC+aim. PDC blew up this year, won wcop, got super far in stour, and just had a super solid spl record. Only thing is the lack of strong builders to get him the squads(unless tdk gives him teams again). Joey is honestly hard to rank because yeah he's solid at playing, but he pretty much had nothing going tournament-wise except for that "incident" against Improbable. Curious to see how he does.

7th is Ender+Abr. Although i really enjoy seeing endre playin, he's rusty with nothing happening since wcop, and his teams always seem to be quite the same thing almost every time, so not that hard to prepare against. Still great playing, tour exp, and solid builds tho. Abr bombed into the tournament scene after making finals of olt, going for quite a lot of money auction-wise!! Personally I really think olt's not a good tournament to judge people's playing skill, specially if u see the foxlord dude's teams(and the fact that he made like semifinals of the tournament). Olt had so much bad playing and so many shit teams(seriously, omg) that i really just refuse to think someone who makes it far into it is "good at pokémon". Despite this, abr beat people like cosine which really surprised me, so i definetly think he has potential. He's known for good building, too.

8th is Alexander+GeeMick. Wouldn't rank alex too high for the reasons stated above, also rly dislike the teams he's brought so far, and the fact that he repeats teams in general(which is just an autoloss on this tournament). geemick is a great dude, he has some fun builds, but idk how he'll do in a big tour like this, as the spl pressure might hurt him.

9th is reiku+steve. I haven't seen reiku and steve play ou at all for a while now. Although they both had a great wcop, i can't see them beating the top dogs of the tour. Another big thing is that they have pretty much no one on the team to help them in ORAS OU(at least i don't think they do), so they'll have to work it all alone.

Last edited:
power rankings hot off the (flying) presses by dice and reyscarface. i'll just c/p the ORAS OU ones here:

team rankings:
  1. Scooters: cosine180 & xray
  2. Raiders: TDK & CrashingBoomBang
  3. Ruiners: ABR & The Ender
  4. Falcons: Tesung & Destiny Device
  5. Wolfpack: PDC & aim
  6. BIGS: boudouche & Reymedy
  7. Tigers: ben gay & mencemeat
  8. Cryonicles: Alexander & GeeMick
  9. Sharks: reiku & Steve Angello
  10. Classiest: blunder & daftmau5
individual rankings:
  1. Tesung
  2. cosine180
  3. ABR
  4. TDK
  5. cbb
  6. xray
  7. PDC
  8. Alexander
  9. boudouche
  10. aim
  11. ben gay
  12. TheEnder
  13. Reymedy
  14. mencemeat
  15. reiku
  16. Destiny Device
  17. blunder
  18. GeeMick
  19. Steve Angello
  20. daftmau5
edit: daftmau5 is #1 in my heart <3_<3

week 1 of SPL has been posted (here). ORAS OU pairings:

Ruiners v. Wolfpack
  • ABR v. PDC
  • TheEnder v. Laurel
Cryonicles v. Scooters
  • Seeme v. cosine180
  • Alexander. v. xray
Classiest v. Falcons
  • blunder v. Tesung
  • daftmau5 v. Destiny Device
Sharks v. Tigers
  • reiku v. mencemeat
  • Steve Angello v. ben gay
BIGS v. Raiders
  • boudouche v. CrashinBoomBang
  • Reymedy v. TDK

i think abr vs pdc and the bigs vs raiders matchups are the ones to watch imo. i predict abr to win and the other two to split but if one of the teams were to 2-0 i've give a slight edge to the bigs. abr used some really matchup oriented pokes in olt finals fsr. he had some cooler more consistent squads in prior rounds and i think he can win if he just returns to that kinda play.

seeme > geemick in ou is kinda peculiar and i'm not sure if i agree with it? not sure what'sup w/ that. scooters win both of those prob..

tigers should 2-0 imo

week 1's always cool to get a feel for what everyone is using, esp in ou. i'm predicting a lot of lopunny/medicham and a drop off of torn-t. manaphy probably won't be seeing as much usage as it did during wcop but idk. stats will be neat.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
seeme spams wish killer team on the ladder, hes auto winning : )
>:[

I have a lot of sentiment that dice has in his post. ABR does well when he's trying not to be flashy and just focuses on consistency in his builds. That's where his advantage is and he should be fostering that. His match against foxlord was a good example of what he shouldn't be doing, making really questionable plays and bringing matchup based mons creating shaky outcomes. It'll be interesting cause I feel like PDC is a more adequate player but some of his builds fall short sometimes which might end up being what decides the matchup if he focuses way too much on the matchup as opposed to just playing well.

I haven't seen Laurel really play OU for awhile and back then I wasn't exactly blown away but he's familiar with a variety of aspects and has been playing more I guess. Ender hasn't played for awhile in a higher setting since WCOP from what I can tell. I do think he needs to stick with some relatively decent bulky offensive squads though and not some fat balance stuff or those sand offenses he likes to use from time to time. It just seems like a bad move to heavily rely on those and really easy to read just out of a preparation perspective under the guise of familiarity = consistency.

I have 0 interest in the Cryonicles v Scooters series for ORAS OU this week. Doesnt seem like anything too exciting.

It's honestly hard for Tesung to lose in ORAS for the fact he just seems to have a higher understanding of the tier and you never know what he'll actually bring. No comment on daftmau5 v Destiny Device but I'm rooting for daftmau5.

No interest in the Sharks v Tigers serious other than I'd be surprised if ben gay loses.

Bigs v Raiders line up is going to be an interesting watch for sure and it's two games I'm looking forward to seeing, mostly the boudouche v CBB matchup, two guys I love to watch play the game. Rooting for TDK, he smells.

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
ABR vs PDC will be fun to watch just because everybody's saying something different about who's better and the problems each one has, i look forward to some of these claims being made true or broken

Alexander v xray will be nice, given that both are pretty hype players that are popular at the moment

daftmau5 is gonna shred dd

And this week is the week we find out if the Tigers' OU team is rusty

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Week 2 ORAS OU matchups

Bigs vs Wolfpack
  • boudouche vs PDC
  • Reymedy vs Laurel
Tigers vs Classiest
  • ben gay vs blunder
  • mencemeat vs daftmau5
Sharks vs Raiders
  • Steve Angello vs CrashinBoomBang
  • reiku vs TDK
Cryonicles vs Falcons
  • GeeMick vs Leftiez
  • Seeme vs Destiny Device
Scooters v Ruiners
  • xray vs ABR
  • cosine180 vs TheEnder

Last edited by a moderator:

Ragnarock

Banned deucer.
Honest thoughts for all the games barring the classiests cuz yh

Bigs vs Wolfpack
  • boudouche vs PDC - Last Week I don't think PDC really gave a shit about playing ABR since they won the week but if that weren't the case again, this should be a good series between a player whose aggressive with his offensive style vs someone more known to love bulky shit with a bit of offensive style that takes risks when needed, worth recording.
  • Reymedy vs Laurel - Don't know, Laurel messed up big last week hope he can make a comeback vs someone that should have beaten McM for Stour w/ a Zygarde.

Sharks vs Raiders
  • Steve Angello vs CrashinBoomBang - Tim impressed a lot of people last week with his innovative Mag Rise Driller Sand squad so hope he can think up something more clever and try to match-up w/ CBB, should be a nice aggressive game.
  • reiku vs TDK - Yeah, I don't see reiku winning this at all lol
Cryonicles vs Falcons
  • GeeMick vs Leftiez - I have heard a lot about GeeMick and how he's a great builder from spectators and friends of mine but haven't seen him perform a whole lot even tho he's been in some PO tours and was drafted for the french team in WCoP. He went for fuckin 9.5k in the auction and got benched week 1.... Didn't understand that but who is to judge these days. I have confidence in Leftiez bouncing back after last weeks lost, hope this will be an interesting game.
  • Seeme vs Destiny Device - Destiny Device can win this. Seeme was hyped as all fuck by Sweepage however the team he brought vs cosine wasn't impressive... His azu switch-in was Manaphy, and the fact that he let it sleep and then later BOUGHT IT IN vs a potential Belly Drum Azu that would have cost him the game was just very fuckin unsettling. Hope Seeme can bring more to the table, but I don't see Destiny Device losing this.
Scooters v Ruiners
  • xray vs ABR - Nice game here, too great builders and both solid competitors. I honestly don't know who will win this but it should be worth watching over all.
  • cosine180 vs TheEnder - Cosine needs to get his head back into the game or Ender is just going to "End" him like what Seeme did last week. If cosine puts in a bit more work on his teams and branches out of his shell, the game should be a great watch.

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
GeeMick vs Leftiez will be hype, battle of the frenchs, so will ben gay vs blunder
both of the bigs vs wolfpack matches will be close imo, worth watching
SeeMee vs. DD I'd keep an eye out for this one too, both players seem out to prove themselves

i honestly don't think the others will be too close, but hey, who knows :)

totally forgot to add this week's matchups. thanks AM n_n

xray v. ABR is gonna be a fun one. ABR's getting a lot of hype due to OLT (see: #3 on power rankings for whatever that's worth), but at the same time, it seems like a lot of people are underestimating him & thinking he's overrated. i think #3 was a bit of a stretch on those power rankings, but ABR's definitely a top ORAS OU player right now.

it was pretty crazy seeing GeeMick benched week one & Seeme starting, especially considering Seeme's a pretty new face and all lol. i have no idea why he was started over GeeMick, but it proved to be a good choice considering he beat cosine and all lol. it's gonna be cool seeing GeeMick play Leftiez this week; i think Leftiez will be able to win here, but who knows :p

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
  • boudouche vs PDC
  • Reymedy vs Laurel
  • ben gay vs blunder
  • mencemeat vs daftmau5
  • Steve Angello vs CrashinBoomBang
  • reiku vs TDK
  • GeeMick vs Leftiez
  • Seeme vs Destiny Device
  • xray vs ABR
  • cosine180 vs TheEnder
The matches I'm the most excited for are probably ben gay vs blunder, xray vs abr, and leftiez vs geemick

AM

LCPL Champion
Matchups for Week 3

Raiders vs. Tigers
  • ORAS OU #1: CrashinBoomBang vs ben gay
  • ORAS OU #2: TDK vs mencemeat
Cryonicles vs. Wolfpack
  • ORAS OU #1: GeeMick vs PDC
  • ORAS OU #2: Seeme vs Cicada
Scotters vs. Falcons
  • ORAS OU #1: cosine180 vs Tesung
  • ORAS OU #2: xray vs Destiny Device
Classiest vs. Ruiners
  • ORAS OU #1: blunder vs ABR
  • ORAS OU #2: daftmau5 vs TheEnder
Sharks vs. Bigs
  • ORAS OU #1: Steve Angello vs Improbable
  • ORAS OU #2: reiku vs Reymedy
Thoughts on some things for this week.

I don't think CBB is gonna lose this one. I think he's just in a more consistent state as of lately in terms of team-builds and playing abilities. Ben sort of has an uphill battle for what seems like he's still trying to get back into the groove of things.

TDKs match against reiku was kind of weird in terms of what he was using for team-builds but I've seen him work with crazier stuff so I have confidence in him. Mencemeat kind of brings the same stuff all the time in terms of team dynamics so it'll probably come down to who came better equipped as I think playing wise they're both solid.

PDC's over reliance on using fat stuff I think is what is going to give the fresh starter GeeMick the edge. GeeMicks match against Leftiez wasn't some mindblowing performance but I thought he played pretty well while PDCs mentality seems like everything he's doing is on a whim just asking for some teams he thought were good once and kind of hoping utilizing fat stuff will work. Geemick being more hungry I think will have a lot to do with how this game will turn out and I'm looking forward to what Geemick brings to the table in terms of team-builds.

I don't really know either of these two that well other than Cicada having some relative success and Seeme kind of just someone I'm suppose to know I guess but frankly I have 0 clue about.

Cosine v Tesung will more than likely be a battle that comes down to team-building being a large factor. I think the last thing cosine should be doing is bringing something like PDC brought against boudouche, sort of that fat stuff but you know always dies to the same wall-breakers. If he's ballsy enough full stall might do the trick seeing as how Tesung normally makes stall weak teams but the safer route will probably just bring an offense that can break a fat Clef core or two.

After the way Destiny Device took control of his Week 2 match like it was a snack I don't particularly see him losing. I can't count x-ray out either cause he did well against ABR last week but he made some questionable plays. Maintaining focus and not letting the inevitable SR + 3 spike shitstorm take place should give him some breathing room to play accordingly.

Both played pretty well in Week Two so blunder v ABR should be interesting. I think it's safe to assume ABR had the right idea of just sticking with consistent builds and not going out of his way to tryhard or use anything too stupid. blunder had good control in the ben gay game and I think daftmau5 familiarity with the crowd ABR associates with will help blunder with information to go off of for preparation.

Speaking of daftmau5, him v Ender should be a good watch. I don't have a whole lot to say other than it's good to see Ender not relying on some of the most predictable builds ever and going beyond his comfort zone to obtain better matchups. daftmau5 had a good showing Week 2 so let's see how this game turns out.

I haven't seen Improbable play but honestly it seems like Steve only knows how to use Sand and nothing else and kind of gets by off of some luck here and there. Idk how this match is going to turn out other than it's safe to say him bringing sand again won't be a surprise ~_~.

On one hand I'm not a huge fan of reikus builds or capabilities, on the other Reymedy has some pretty garbage luck when it matters and there isn't a whole lot you can count on when his optimal plays are being decided by RNG a lot. We'll see I suppose.

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
blunder better show who the real #3 is
cosine180 vs tesung will mean a lot but probably be over either way too fast or way too slow
daftmau5 vs ender will be neat due to similarities in builds, it should come to down to the more skilled player winning (or luck...)
cbb vs ben gay, i wouldn't count ben out yet, he might still be getting in the swing but his past two games haven't been the most clean, i think he'll hold his own here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)