Finals Smogon Premier League VIII - Finals [NO WINNER]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabella

formerly Booty
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
Even though we lost just wanted to mention a few things

Not really friends with any tigers but congrats p2

Secondly thank you bro fist and CrashinBoomBang for not only drafting me but teaching me that i still have alot to do to grow as a player and guiding me in that direction. I think everyone agrees with this but obii was our mvp he didnt get the chance to play much but the effort and knowledge he put into this season was unmatched. And to TheThorn it was incredible to watch you take your game to another level during the season, it seemed you almost were uninterested in tournaments about a year ago but you have come along way and I am super happy for you. Making it to finals in my first SPL was dope thank you for the chance guys.

Scoot Scoot

Last edited:

keys

It's Prime Time
is a Forum Moderatoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Grats to my brazilian friends on the Tigers, you guys are super cute n_n

I really have a deep amount of respect for some of the Scooters though, especially both of their managers which are not only amazing players but also very passionate and dedicated people, as well as Gunner, Mr. 378 and obii, who I hear has been amazing throughout all of SPL (everyone on the Scooters only has nice things to say about this guy) and is also a super amazing guy. You guys had a great run, you should all be proud of that n_n

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
congrats tigers

thank you to Prague Kick and Esteemed SPL Host Ginku who did a superb job hosting SPL. prague kick i know you didnt expect this opportunity but i think we can both say that you executed this very well. ginku im sorry i wasnt a believer initially, but you've definitely impressed this guy over here. ive seen some of your behind the scenes work (both of you) and youve both impressed me there as well and been very level headed and good to work with. if the situation calls for it again next year im sure the td team of 2017/2018 wont mind having you two host again. thanks for doing this.

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
HOLY SHIT GUYS WE DID IT
I'm in a foreign country and I'm drunk off my ass but I'll be damned if I don't do a shoutout post
tennisace dude I was honestly super surprised when you bought me last year but I'm so glad I impressed you enough to retain me for this season, you're such a cool guy and I'm glad I got to meet you irl at worlds 2015, hopefully you stick around but I don't blame you at all if you decide to make this your last hurrah. You're amazing and I wish you the best <3

atomicllamas keep being fabulous and thanks for being a great assman and testing with me whenever you could. you're amazing and i hope i see more of you in the future

Tamahome dude you are literally the most clutch player i've ever met. keep doing your thing and you'll keep winning. you're such a great teammate and I hope our paths cross again. god bless tamagoat

Nintendi secretly the best ORAS player in all of spl. keep doing your thing and you'll keep winning, glad we got to be on the same team fam

McMeghan ok honestly you are the best teammate anyone could ever ask for. you were so quick to test with me in a tier that not many other people could, and you gave the fuckin best pep talks possible once we somehow got to playoffs. I consider it an honor to be on the same team as you and I can only hope we meet again. even though you won't fucking meet me in belgium when i'm literally coming to your country ugh!!!

Mazar holy shit are you human or a god because I honestly don't know. you stepped up big time and are the ubers goat and clutched this victory for us, i don't even know what else to say. good luck in the rest of your tournaments, I'm sure you'll have even more trophies before your career is over

Steve Angello MAHLZEIT even though i never used any of your suggestions i appreciate them all the same and i hope you can keep your trophy red forever. keep those snapchats coming fam they're always lit <3

p2 you are so fun to be around and your games are always so fun to watch, keep expertly utilizing toxapex and i'm sure you'll be at the top for a while

Tokyo Tom dude i'm so happy we got you halfway through the year, you're always around to keep everyone upbeat and to test with and your memes are fuckin fire. you're a great dude and i sincerely hope we keep talking after this spl

EternalSpirit GAMAAAAAA even tho your internet suck i'm glad we had you around, you're amazing and i wish you only the best going forward

OP the LC god, i'm really happy that you were able to turn your bad start around and play like a god after midseason, you're awesome and we couldn't have done this without you

Edgar i'm sorry you had a bad start but you're awesome and i'm really happy we could get you that trophy. hopefully you stick around and we see more of you in the future <3

JabbaTheGriffin dude what can i say, you carried me through overwatch placement matches and to an spl victory. i'm sad that you're retiring from mons but hopefully we can tear it up some more in competitive pretty soon. keep being awesome and best of luck in your future endeavors <3

Zebraiken THANKS ZEBRAIKEN. you stepped up to the plate when we needed an rby guy and you came in super clutch when it mattered. thanks for being a super awesome guy in the chat and for also having the best first name ever. jakes UNITE

miltankmilk duuuude what can i say that hasn't already been said? you were probably the biggest reason i ever won a single game in this spl, your teambuilding and testing help was incredible and i can't imagine this tournament without you. i would love to have you on my team again next year but i truly believe you deserve your own starting spot. i wish you nothing but the best in whatever you do, and don't you dare stop teambuilding with me just because this tournament is over. i'll even forgive you for not coming to see me at 630 am at the champaign airport. you're the best <3

giara you may not have had the best record this year but i admire you for sticking around in chat and encouraging everyone, congrats on picking up that SPL W <3

Golden Gyarados this is our 2nd spl together and I know we didn't really talk much but i'm so happy that we could win one together and i hope your future tournaments go as well as this one

DeepBlueC dude thanks for stepping up to the plate whenever we needed you, whether it be to test in any of our tiers or to play whenever we needed a sub. you're awesome and i hope you have a great time in law school <3

Century Express you were a great midseason pickup even if your record might not show it. you came through when we needed you and you were a great presence in chat. thanks for being awesome :D

I'm so fucking happy I could get this trophy with my team, this has easily been my best experience with online Pokemon. I can only hope that I get to be on the same team with all of these people once again. This SPL was amazing and I cannot wait for the next one. Until then, I love every one of you Tigers and all our supporters, stay awesome y'all

Last edited:

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This has been the wildest 13 weeks I've ever been a part of. Roro said at one point when we started rolling that there was no way we were losing; we're in an anime with plot armor on. To be honest, I'd have to agree, since when we tied Week 7 I said this to llamas:

Somehow, it almost worked out exactly like that. In fact, this whole season ~just kinda worked out~. Even when we were down in the middle of the season, we all kept fighting as a team. The passion and the drive to win never left, and I think that was key to keeping us in the race. The original power rankings said "These two different cultures [talking about the vets and new players] are bound to clash this SPL, but that doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing if everyone on the team gets along and they are all open to each other and willing to do what it takes to maximize their teams' success." Well, that happened. We were a team, in all forms of the word.

Individual shoutouts (in reverse alphabetical order):

Tigres:

Zebraiken - I remember before the season, I asked you if you were able to play anything other than LC. I believe you said nah, but I got you anyway because I knew 2 things: 1) Pokemon skills translate across tiers and 2) You're one hell of a mentor for the newer players even if you don't play. You were around all season, cheering us on, and you picked up a tier you've never played Week 9 and won both playoffs matches in it. You're one hell of a player man, and I'm so glad you were on our team.

Tokyo Tom - Best midseason pickup ever? Probably. You fit right in with the rest of the Tigres and brought our Memes/36 through the roof. Plus, you took your BW game to another level once you started getting comfortable. You're a hell of a player and I'm glad I got to bring you back this season.

Tamahome - Are you glad I didn't listen to you when you wanted me to bench you earlier in the season? Because, I'm glad lmao. You're one of the best players of all time, and I'm glad you got the opportunity to remind everyone of that. Not only that, but you're one of the most supportive teammates I've had the pleasure of working with. You helped test and teambuild throughout the whole season, which really helped bring up everyone else on the team. You're awesome man.

Steve Angello - How the fk did SPL 7 and SPL 8 Champion Steve Angello only go for 3k in auction?? The world may never know. You're a top tier OU player and you proved it once again this season, keeping everyone off-balance both in your matches and in testing. Glad you avoided Buzzwole this season ;D

Seeme - You were only on the Tigres for a few weeks, but thank you for contributing when you could.

p2 - Part 2 of the Dream Meme Team with TTom, your SPL debut was :fire: :fire: :fire:. You were an excellent chat presence and test partner, and you're a hell of a fighter too. Really glad I was able to have you on my team this year!

OP - A repeat Tigre, you're a great player and a great teammate. Even when things got a bit tough in the middle of the year, you never gave up and you bounced back big time. Mad props to you, and I'm glad to have spent the last two seasons with you.

Nintendi - Axel may have been the Sheriff, but we all know who the real law man was 'round these parts. You showed people that the runner up in OST was no fluke at all, and now you have a trophy to show for it.

miltankmilk - Ignore the record. This man, in the span of a day or so, worked his ass off to learn not just a different tier, but an entirely different FORMAT than his main, in the SPL finals. That just shows the dedication moo had this entire season. You tested with Bowman every week, helped out whenever possible, and were a genuinely delightful chat presence. You may be Bowman's executive assistant right now, but don't be surprised when you're starting next season.

McMeghan - The Belgian Tom Brady, a true GOAT. I don't even know what to say here tbh; you were the QB of this team. You kept everyone grounded, motivated, and every time you came in the chat the whole room lit up. Like, in the semis when things started to get a bit dicey and we found out you were having internet problems, everyone started to get a bit antsy. Once you popped up in the chat, the whole team went NUTS and we closed out the series. You're a superstar player and an amazing teammate, and I'm so glad you were with us this year :humble: :pray: :goat:

Mazar - You went undefeated in a tier you didn't plan on playing at all. I don't know how much karma you went and stored after week 1 man but holy shit it worked. You owned the end of the season, and I think this last match in the tiebreaker showed everyone the type of player you really are. Even when you weren't destroying an entire tier's hopes and dreams, you were around testing and chatting and being an overall positive presence. Congrats, and thank you for clutching in the end.

MajorBowman - Do you remember when we first met? I 4-0'd you in the Boston Open playing VGC 15 using your own Thundurus spread against you. Looking back at it, that kind of has to be the single flukiest outcome in Pokemon history, because if we played that match 10 more times I doubt I win a single one. You're a great Pokemon player man, and you've come really far from just being "that random 3k VGCer tennisace always picks up". Enjoy the rest of your Europe trip, and try not to drink ALL the alcohol on the continent.

JabbaTheGriffin - A true champion. I'm so glad you've been a Tigre for the last 3 years, and I'm especially glad you get to walk off with the trophy. Next time we meet, drinks are on me.

Golden Gyarados - I know this season may not have gone exactly to plan for you, but you stuck with us and took it in stride. You're a great teammate and I don't regret having you on the team one bit. Hopefully next season you'll reach your full potential!

giara - Kind of the same deal with GG, this season may not have gone great for you but I don't regret you being on the team one bit. You were a great teammate even when things didn't go perfectly, and you were great with helping people test. Thank you!

Eternal Spirit - The third OU musketeer, you helped test and build teams this entire season and you're a genuinely fun person to talk to in chat. I'm glad all your hard work this season got rewarded in the best way possible :)

Edgar - I know you got frustrated in the middle of the season, but I'm glad you stuck around with us and helped out the team come playoffs. You're a really good teammate and I'm glad you were a Tigre this season.

DeepBlueC - You may not have played much, but I'm really glad I got you on the team. You helped out whenever asked, and you were a fun chat presence. I'm looking forward to your inevitable breakout next season :P

Century Express - You were a great midseason pickup. You fit in with our team, you tested with us, and you contributed in the chat. You 100% belong on an SPL team in the future, and I'm glad I picked you up this season.

atomicllamas - Well, we did it. I was going to jokingly write in "fuk u llama" but nah, real talk. I couldn't have handled this season without you also at the helm. When everything was slipping weeks 5 and 6 and I was in a terrible place IRL, you kept me and the rest of the team grounded. You're an amazing assman and I'm so glad I got to win this trophy with you.

Tigres: thank you all again. This season was the most fun I've had in my 8 years of SPL, and I'm so so so glad I got to share it with you all.

Others:

GOAO - The reason this was all possible. Unfortunately it was only like, the third biggest win this season (Mazar and Tama have the top 2), but without you, we wouldn't have made it to playoffs. I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do going forward in tournaments and wish you the best of luck!

People who helped out during playoffs: Pearl Finchinator Freestylerking, Get this Money, qsns, osgoode, Acacia, and sergi - thank you all for hanging out in the discord at playoffs time after your teams were eliminated. The extra encouragement (and team help!) was very much appreciated and it kept the mood light when everyone got stressed towards the end of finals/tiebreak.

Sam - You still owe me pizza and beer, friend. You're a hell of a manager and hopefully someday you'll win one too. I hope it doesn't take you as long as it took me though!

Oglemi - /me pet Oglemi

Solace - /me pet Solace

little gk - /me pet little gk

Nexus - You can finally cash in on your "I WAS ON THE BANDWAGON BEFORE IT WAS COOL" cred, after supporting the Tigres for like 6 or 7 seasons!

Celticpride - Thank you for supporting me man, now lets see the Celtics and Bruins win one!

Everyone who supported Tigres in Semis & Finals - Thank you all, having people root for us was great, regardless of your reasons.

Omfuga & Finchinator - Thank you for motivating me to be a better manager. I may not have been perfect this year, but I was trying my best to be there and support my team. Hopefully I'll keep getting opportunities to improve.

Everyone who didn't support us - Thank you for giving us motivation and bulletin board material, and sorry your team of choice isn't celebrating.

Prague Kick and Esteemed SPL Host Ginku - Thank you for hosting. You both kind of picked it up on the fly and while I may not have agreed with every decision due to personal bias, you were both fair and active and engaged and I don't think there's more a manager could ask for from the hosts.

-----------------------------------------------

I don't know if I'll be back next year. I'd like to defend this lovely red trophy, but who knows where I'll be on Smogon and IRL. For now though, after 8 years of fighting for it, I'm going to kick back and enjoy this.

goatace out.

Last edited:
Aaand this is over.

I never expected I could have been SPL host. When Isa contacted me at the end of December, offering the role, I initially thought it was a joke. Despite I already hosted some PL format tournaments outside of Smogon, this was definitely the biggest and most important one, and my "palmares" on this site wasn't big enough to expect this call. I liked the idea and accepted.
I really didn't mind too much early complaints about my position as sole host, mostly because the decision to give me a co-host as Ginku ended up being the best choice I could ever get. Indeed Ginku proved himself to be an excellent host (and the living embodiment of SPL), and there were certain situations where, without him, I could have ended up getting crazy lol. I really liked dual hosting, confronting each other during decisions was really helpful and stress-relieving, I'd recommend doing this more often.
The tournament itself went kinda smoothly, besides Val, forum clock and last playoffs accidents, so thank you all guys for being nice for most of the time n_n
A big thank you to Isa and all TDs for believing in me from the beginning, a big thank you to Esteemed SPL Host Ginku as well, for being the best co-host I could have, and a big thank you to all players and managers that every year make SPL the best team tournament so far.
It was a fun experience for me, I hope you all enjoyed.

Yours truly Kicc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)