Smogon RBY analysis challenge.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
The idea behind this game: who can spot the most egregious lines in Smogon's RBY analyses?

Here is a starting point:
Snorlax said:
Fire Blast isn't a bad option either if you are having Jynx, Lapras, or Cloyster problems.
Good luck!

That is hilarious...

The most egregious thing generally about those analyses is that they never seem to remember what metagame or what ruleset they're being written for.

I suppose Farfetch'd whole analysis would count as one big joke, almost DPP kakuna-level

try to do something such as stalling while the opponent destroys you.
---------------------------------------------

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Farfetch'd analysis I wrote, and, trust me, that line is accurate.

Though the analysis manages to include yet another bizarre mention of Snorlax as a counter. I am certain I didnt put that there..

I dont know when or why, but someone seems to have gone through and added a line to the effect of Snorlax has high HP and therefore counters this pokemon to around about half of our analyses.

Farfetch'd aside, this is my bet as ( a couple ) hilarious lines:

Flareon's other options said:
Mimic is cool for getting a new move, like Earthquake. [...] Leer can lower something's Defense on the switch so you can hopefully OHKO or 2HKO it.
Made me laugh a little, actually

♥

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
Here is another:

Charizard said:
Where Ninetales and Arcanine can hope for a lucky break to defeat their enemies, Charizard is stuck against the likes of troublesome Starmie and others.
Ninetales I sorta get, but what the hell is Arcanine going to do that Zard cant?

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
A lot of weird mention of Supersonic as an option on just about everything that can get it. (Notable examples: Aerodactyl, Venomoth.) A lot of stuff has a sparse movepool in RBY, but Supersonic is just so awful.

Seadra's analysis lists a bunch of good water-types to demonstrate why Seadra sucks in comparison. Among the likes of Lapras, Starmie, Slowbro, and Cloyster is... Kabutops. C'mon, if you're going to do something like that, at least make it Kingler.

Other (admittedly nitpicky) quirks include:

-Omastar absolutely owns all those silly Pokémon that can only use Normal or Fire moves...
(from Vileplume) -Although Acid is fairly weak, it destroys Parasect...

Yeah, play up those strengths. Ain't nothing that says RBY like the dominance of Parasect and Flareon.

Tauros is classified as a late game sweeper, usually finishing off poor, paralyzed Pokemon. Besides this, he has some other great uses. When someone is predicting him to use Hyper Beam, he or she may switch to Starmie, Exeggutor, or any other Pokemon that can take a hit. Instead, you can use your great predicting skills and use Body Slam. If you paralyze your opponent's newly switched in Pokemon, it's screwed. He's just so great at what he does that he should be an automatic entry in any competitive RBY Pokemon team.
I know Tauros is like god-awesome but lolwut at the end

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
No srsly, Tauros is really THAT good. It can pull off a win out of its ass. If there's a Tauros there's a way.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
venomoth said:
Venomoth is on the same level as Butterfree and Mr. Mime in terms of poor defensive capabilities.
It also suggests toxic and psywave though, admittedly pretty tentatively..

On IRC and NetBattle, Focus Energy is glitched like in the Gameboy version of RBY and will leave Jolteon's critical hit rate unchanged, or lower it to 0 if Jolteon is slower than the opponent's Pokemon.
I'm quite sure the actual effect of FAIL Energy in RBY is quartering your crit rate instead of quadrupling it...

wigglytuff the special sweeper

Bring in powerful special attackers on Weezing's special moves, like Electabuzz or Psychic Wigglytuff
Aside from the fact that this sentence makes no sense, the author calls Wigglytuff a powerful special attacker... 198 special!

Primeape the UU Sweeper?

Primeape is in his prime in UU. He can wreak havoc against the UU metagame, even if he is a little on the fragile side. He's a sweeper, and a darn good one for UU.
Totally untrue. Primeape is terrible in UU, and is actually worse there than he is in OU.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Golduck said:
Rest helps him to last a little longer, and would work better in the underused metagame, where he should be used; just make sure common counters like fast Electric-types have been already taken care of if you decide to Amnesia early, otherwise you'll be forced to switch, fearing a critical hit.
Holy shitballs I think I just won; what a sentence this is, certainly not a run-on; it might need a bit more punctuation, to get it's message across

A lot of weird mention of Supersonic as an option on just about everything that can get it. (Notable examples: Aerodactyl, Venomoth.) A lot of stuff has a sparse movepool in RBY, but Supersonic is just so awful.
Yeah, what the hell.

Aerodactyl said:
Supersonic has a 55% chance to hit and confuse the opponent, which can be your saving grace.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Aero's more viable than you'd think. I personally wouldn't use it, but the sheer power of a Sky Attack crit and the ability to sponge hits from the most popular Snorlax set certainly aren't attributes to sneer at. It's not like it's being used as a standard or anything.

420 is 4loko

Aerodactyl is fucking horrible. Are you RBY2k10 scrubs seriously using it to wall snorlax? Please tell me you're joking.
At the risk of reading too much into this statement, I'd wager a guess and say you're the kind of person who has never made any contribution to the development of a metagame. You merely play with what is established by others and issue your shallow critiques which reek of xenophobia.

Aerodactyl is decent in standard, despite what that abysmal write-up currently says about him. Reflect Aerodactyl does indeed wall Snorlax and a CH Sky Attack will 1HKO about half of the OU. Late game, it can be very awkward to deal with Aero as a switch allows him to start glowing.

And no, we don't consider Aero a staple on our OU teams at rby2k10, but, yes, we do think that every pokemon should have a decent analysis. If you think that a write-up like that is "university" worthy, I'm worried about your education ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)