Gen 1 Smogon RBY analysis challenge.

Discussion in 'Ruins of Alph' started by Hipmonlee, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Hipmonlee

Hipmonlee Have a rice day
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

The idea behind this game: who can spot the most egregious lines in Smogon's RBY analyses?

Here is a starting point:
    Good luck!
  2. Spork

Spork

That is hilarious...

The most egregious thing generally about those analyses is that they never seem to remember what metagame or what ruleset they're being written for.
  3. Tonykantos

Tonykantos

I suppose Farfetch'd whole analysis would count as one big joke, almost DPP kakuna-level

---------------------------------------------
  4. Hipmonlee

is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Farfetch'd analysis I wrote, and, trust me, that line is accurate.

Though the analysis manages to include yet another bizarre mention of Snorlax as a counter. I am certain I didnt put that there..

I dont know when or why, but someone seems to have gone through and added a line to the effect of Snorlax has high HP and therefore counters this pokemon to around about half of our analyses.
  5. Tonykantos

Tonykantos

Farfetch'd aside, this is my bet as ( a couple ) hilarious lines:

Made me laugh a little, actually

6. Hipmonlee

Here is another:

Ninetales I sorta get, but what the hell is Arcanine going to do that Zard cant?
  7. Jorgen

Jorgen World's Strongest Fairy
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Winner

A lot of weird mention of Supersonic as an option on just about everything that can get it. (Notable examples: Aerodactyl, Venomoth.) A lot of stuff has a sparse movepool in RBY, but Supersonic is just so awful.

Seadra's analysis lists a bunch of good water-types to demonstrate why Seadra sucks in comparison. Among the likes of Lapras, Starmie, Slowbro, and Cloyster is... Kabutops. C'mon, if you're going to do something like that, at least make it Kingler.

Other (admittedly nitpicky) quirks include:

-Omastar absolutely owns all those silly Pokémon that can only use Normal or Fire moves...
    (from Vileplume) -Although Acid is fairly weak, it destroys Parasect...

Yeah, play up those strengths. Ain't nothing that says RBY like the dominance of Parasect and Flareon.
  8. TM13IceBeam

TM13IceBeam

I know Tauros is like god-awesome but lolwut at the end
  9. Pocket

Pocket Nyanko Sensei >:3
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Doubles Leader

No srsly, Tauros is really THAT good. It can pull off a win out of its ass. If there's a Tauros there's a way.
  10. Hipmonlee

It also suggests toxic and psywave though, admittedly pretty tentatively..
  11. TM13IceBeam

TM13IceBeam

I'm quite sure the actual effect of FAIL Energy in RBY is quartering your crit rate instead of quadrupling it...
  12. ThriceElite

ThriceElite

I'm pretty sure paralysis doesn't lower your critical hit rate.
  13. waterwizard

waterwizard

wigglytuff the special sweeper

Aside from the fact that this sentence makes no sense, the author calls Wigglytuff a powerful special attacker... 198 special!
  14. Crystal_

Crystal_
    is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Winner

Every RBY and GSC analysis needs a complete makeover to be honest.
  15. waterwizard

waterwizard

Primeape the UU Sweeper?

Totally untrue. Primeape is terrible in UU, and is actually worse there than he is in OU.
  16. t3h Icy

t3h Icy

17. macle

macle &Vinc2612: to all lc players: is EQ gligar common?
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

go for it
  18. jrrrrrrr

jrrrrrrr wubwubwub
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderatoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Holy shitballs I think I just won; what a sentence this is, certainly not a run-on; it might need a bit more punctuation, to get it's message across
  19. Aerodactyl Legend

Aerodactyl Legend

Yeah, what the hell.

20. PKMN Hunter 18

PKMN Hunter 18 Remember! Drive Smoothly!

I think the critical hit rate in RBY was based on your speed stat. If you had high speed, you would have a better chance of a critical hit.
  21. Hipmonlee

Base speed, not the actual stat.
  22. 420

Aerodactyl is fucking horrible. Are you RBY2k10 scrubs seriously using it to wall snorlax? Please tell me you're joking.
  23. Jorgen

Jorgen World's Strongest Fairy
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Winner

Aero's more viable than you'd think. I personally wouldn't use it, but the sheer power of a Sky Attack crit and the ability to sponge hits from the most popular Snorlax set certainly aren't attributes to sneer at. It's not like it's being used as a standard or anything.
  24. waterwizard

waterwizard

420 is 4loko

At the risk of reading too much into this statement, I'd wager a guess and say you're the kind of person who has never made any contribution to the development of a metagame. You merely play with what is established by others and issue your shallow critiques which reek of xenophobia.

Aerodactyl is decent in standard, despite what that abysmal write-up currently says about him. Reflect Aerodactyl does indeed wall Snorlax and a CH Sky Attack will 1HKO about half of the OU. Late game, it can be very awkward to deal with Aero as a switch allows him to start glowing.

And no, we don't consider Aero a staple on our OU teams at rby2k10, but, yes, we do think that every pokemon should have a decent analysis. If you think that a write-up like that is "university" worthy, I'm worried about your education ;)
  25. Hipmonlee

Lax still does use surf from time to time..

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)