Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics - August 2009

There's also a thread in the Policy Review (I think it's called something like 'I'm in a bit of a quandry about how to calculate OU this month'), where you can see a lot of the process which resulted in the formula they use now.

I believe they chose 'T=20' so that we can have a large amount of Pokemon in OU. If they kept the number of OU Pokemon to about 20, then it'd take like 15 usage tiers for us to get down to the Pokemon like Luvdisc and Delibird.

I suspect, next generation, they'll adjust it so that we'll get more Pokemon per usage tier.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm happy to see Clefable's usage jump (20th to 15th). If revamping the analysis for him has done anything for me it's shown the near brokenness of Magic Guard on stall teams (and that he's not a Chansey copy ;]).

Yanmega's SR weakness is pretty negligable to be honest. It's just less used because it doesnt really fit on stall teams, unlike Milotic and Roserade.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
There's a variety of factors to explain why Yanmega isn't #1 in usage. Not so much that it's weak to SR, since teams built around it accomodate for that otherwise large weakness (i.e. they use Rapid Spin liberally), but there's social factors as well. Everyone assumes Yanmega is going to BL soon anyway. Some people will take advantage of it while they can, others will simply go "why bother" and not waste team designing a team that'll (presumably) be defunct in short order. Maybe they don't want to be seen as "cheap." Wobbuffet never reached all that high usage stats before we send it back to Ubers either.

It's a good illustration to the idea that usage does not define power. Shame too many people didn't seem to understand that before banishing Garchomp originally but you can apply it elsewhere as well. Scizor has higher usage than Salamence currently, yet the latter is the one more often discussed as a possible future Suspect.

No, but it really underscores the dominance of Dragons and Steels and the fall of pokemon that lack the necessary resistances for the metagame.

Is anybody suprised that heatran beat out gyarados.
Although I personally think that Gyara's a better Pokemon than Heatran, the amount of Heatrans that show up, I wouldn't be suprised to see it take second spot off of Salamence soon, as well.

There's a variety of factors to explain why Yanmega isn't #1 in usage. Not so much that it's weak to SR, since teams built around it accomodate for that otherwise large weakness (i.e. they use Rapid Spin liberally), but there's social factors as well. Everyone assumes Yanmega is going to BL soon anyway. Some people will take advantage of it while they can, others will simply go "why bother" and not waste team designing a team that'll (presumably) be defunct in short order. Maybe they don't want to be seen as "cheap." Wobbuffet never reached all that high usage stats before we send it back to Ubers either.

It's a good illustration to the idea that usage does not define power. Shame too many people didn't seem to understand that before banishing Garchomp originally but you can apply it elsewhere as well. Scizor has higher usage than Salamence currently, yet the latter is the one more often discussed as a possible future Suspect.
Garchomp was over-centralising. His useage was around 50% at it's hight, and it could tear through whole teams. OU was about setting up Garchomp, and stopping your foe's Garchomp. That's why Garchomp was a suspect, not only it's insane useage, but it's power. Garchomp, therefor, is a bit of a poor example. A better example might be Manphy. He was never used a lot, before he went Uber, but his brokeness in Rain Dance teams with Hydration + Rest + Tail Glow sent him to Uber.

Although I personally think that Gyara's a better Pokemon than Heatran, the amount of Heatrans that show up, I wouldn't be suprised to see it take second spot off of Salamence soon, as well.
Heatran was first place for a couple of months after 'chomp went to Uber, and even after Scizor took over it stayed in second palce for another two months. So it has always been on top of the ladder.

Heatran was first place for a couple of months after 'chomp went to Uber, and even after Scizor took over it stayed in second palce for another two months. So it has always been on top of the ladder.
Yeah, I know, but after dropping to fourth, it seemed like Heatran was losing popularity, but now it seems that it's going back to where it belongs in second. I can't see it ever topping Scizor though. I can't really see Sciz ever being knocked off top spot.

Yeah, I know, but after dropping to fourth, it seemed like Heatran was losing popularity, but now it seems that it's going back to where it belongs in second. I can't see it ever topping Scizor though. I can't really see Sciz ever being knocked off top spot.
Not if Garchomp comes over to OU again XD.
Other than that I agree. Maybe Salamence...maybe

If Garchomp enters OU, you can bet that Scizor will be right alongside it. The two fit together like Celetran (or like Scizor/Flygon before, but Garchomp is better). Maybe Scizor will keep the top spot too, just because it can do stuff like check the Lati twins and Skymin too. It will probably start to use way bulkier sets, though, and maybe even Roost.

Of course, this is pretty assumptive of what's entering OU, but whatever.

Somehow I don't think even all five suspects combined can dethrone Scizor from where he is. Having the game's strongest no-questions-asked priority in the game is too valuable of a tool to ignore.

If Garchomp enters OU, you can bet that Scizor will be right alongside it. The two fit together like Celetran (or like Scizor/Flygon before, but Garchomp is better). Maybe Scizor will keep the top spot too, just because it can do stuff like check the Lati twins and Skymin too. It will probably start to use way bulkier sets, though, and maybe even Roost.

Of course, this is pretty assumptive of what's entering OU, but whatever.
I highly doubt whether any of the suspects will be brought down to OU, apart from maybe Latios, and that will just increase Scizor's usage rate. Garchomp is the only one with a chance of overtaking Scizor, and I just can't see it coming back to OU, so therefore Scizor will remain no 1.

I highly doubt whether any of the suspects will be brought down to OU, apart from maybe Latios, and that will just increase Scizor's usage rate. Garchomp is the only one with a chance of overtaking Scizor, and I just can't see it coming back to OU, so therefore Scizor will remain no 1.
That's your belief. By the looks of it a lot of the qualified voters seemed to want Garchomp back to OU. I'd say Garchomp most definitely has a chance to come down from the realm of UBER. Also, not just Garchomp but Manaphy (Latios most obviously) also will eat Scizor up. From the following EV spread on Smogon (manaphy's first and Scizor's SD set with LO, which does the most damage), Scizor can 3HKO manaphy with SD + BP while +2 Manaphy's surf can OHKO scizor with SR.

That's your belief. By the looks of it a lot of the qualified voters seemed to want Garchomp back to OU. I'd say Garchomp most definitely has a chance to come down from the realm of UBER. Also, not just Garchomp but Manaphy (Latios most obviously) also will eat Scizor up. From the following EV spread on Smogon (manaphy's first and Scizor's SD set with LO, which does the most damage), Scizor can 3HKO manaphy with SD + BP while +2 Manaphy's surf can OHKO scizor with SR.
I wasn't aware that it was so likely. You might be right then. Although, Heatran and Gyarados beat Scizor easily enough, and Scizor still remains top, so who knows.

I do believe Skymin and Manaphy also can become #1 in OU if they were to ever come down. Skymin is just naturally powerful while manaphy has quite the bulk along with tail glow to do some ridiculous damage. Garchomp undoubtedly is powerful enough to become #1 as well but yeah. These are assuming if they come down to OU and are all but predictions...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)