Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics - December 2008

I find it surprising that Dusknoir and Dragonite are both still OU - I honestly don't think I've seen a single one in weeks. They are both outclassed by another pokemon quite soundly, so I'm not sure why their usage stats are so much higher than something like Porygon2, who has no better equivalent in OU.
Dragonite has light screen going for it, which means it can't be forced out by bulky waters when setting up.

Note: this is only my opinion. I am quite new to shoddy and have not played in the Suspect Ladder.

November OU Ladder:
Code:
 |   23 | Jirachi    |  31660 |
December OU Ladder:
Code:
 15 | Jirachi    |  49271 |
December Suspect Ladder:
Code:
|    7 | Jirachi    |   4102 |
December Suspect Ladder Lead:
Code:
DEC 2008 SUSPECT LEAD +|     1  | Jirachi    |   2236 |
November OU Ladder Lead:
Code:
|   22 | Jirachi    |   5980 |
December OU Ladder Lead:
Code:
|    5 | Jirachi    |  18635 |
Interesting how Jirachi's usage increased in OU Ladder play between November and December. Most likely due to Suspect Ladder opening and Jirachi being used much more for resisting two common Latias moves (Ice Beam and Psychic) and can also CM up if Latias chooses to do so. This seems to have made people become more "fond" of Jirachi overall, and use it more in the OU Ladder.

Note: this is only my opinion. I am quite new to shoddy and have not played in the Suspect Ladder.

November OU Ladder:
Code:
 |   23 | Jirachi    |  31660 |
December OU Ladder:
Code:
 15 | Jirachi    |  49271 |
December Suspect Ladder:
Code:
|    7 | Jirachi    |   4102 |
December Suspect Ladder Lead:
Code:
DEC 2008 SUSPECT LEAD +|     1  | Jirachi    |   2236 |
Interesting how Jirachi's usage increased in OU Ladder play between November and December. Most likely due to Suspect Ladder opening and Jirachi being used much more for resisting two common Latias moves (Ice Beam and Psychic) and can also CM up if Latias chooses to do so. This seems to have made people become more "fond" of Jirachi overall, and use it more in the OU Ladder.
I think this is more of a result of the Platinum changes than anything else. Jirachi got a larger physical movepool to work with (especially Iron Head), and it also gained Trick. It is quite sturdy, can fill several roles, and is one of the few pokemon that can Wishpass effectively. I'm not surprised that people have been using it more and more.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm so scared for the BL ladder, I don't feel ready. :( Well, that's what these stats signify is coming soon.

lol Gallade out of the top 50

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
^ Platinum made Hypnosis' accuracy drop.

Although I suspect Rotom forms are also partly responsible for the falling of usage of OU Ghosts. Partly.

From what I gather from Policy Review, it will always be the top 49 or 50 Pokemon... Milotic just misses that mark...
Not necessarily. We had 53 OU back in September (or was it more?). It's based on usage divided by some number, which means that there can be more than 50, or way less than 50 (which would show massive centralization in the metagame).

I find it surprising that Dusknoir and Dragonite are both still OU - I honestly don't think I've seen a single one in weeks. They are both outclassed by another pokemon quite soundly, so I'm not sure why their usage stats are so much higher than something like Porygon2, who has no better equivalent in OU.
Who is Dusknoir outclassed by?

Dragonite isn't completely outclassed. He has certain things going for him in the mixed set (Super Power), can actually utilize a bulky set thanks to the Light Screen, and has the Bulky DDancer on which to fall back if he desires to go on Physical Offensive.

Dusknoir's defenses are just that high. Rotom may have high speed and a better movepool, but Dusknoir isn't as easy to KO, which is probably why people still use him.

On other notes, I find it funny how many Pokemon from the 30-50 range I use in comparison to the top 10 on Shoddy. Also, who still uses Electivire? I don't ever see those, and it's still number 29.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
Blissey usage stayed pretty consistent even with Shaymin-S going to ubers. It has dropped a few spots, but the actual number has stayed about the same.

December Stats said:
| 7 | Blissey | 64442 |
November Stats said:
| 6 | Blissey | 67548 |
October Stats said:
| 5 | Blissey | 68286 |
September Stats said:
| 5 | Blissey | 65400 |
I'm not surprised by the suspect stats. Latias' usage does not exactly reflect its place in the metagame since everyone wants to give it a try. What I think is interesting is the amount of Steel-types in the top 10 (5). It would be interesting to see if they all stayed that high or if people are just excessively reinforcing their teams for Latias in the beginning stages.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Also note the lead changes for jirachi
Yeah. Jirachi was #1 lead on suspect ladder but no where close on the OU ladder. Similarly, Azelf was #1 on the OU ladder and only #6 on the suspect ladder.

It's also sad to see less overall usages in the Ubers ladder. Kyogre (#1 in both Nov and Dec) went down from about 4100 to 3668, and most other pokes dropped too. Groudon had a big drop - about 40% of its usages disappeared, going from #3 to #5.

| 38 | Minun | 70 |

heh Suspect leads.

Slowbro being at #64 makes me sad. It's got potential...! I'm surprised it's #62 in suspect though. A metagame where Tyranitar/Scizor/Latias/Blissey thrive is kinda overwhelming for him .-.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yanmega returns to the top 50!! Yay!! It has so much potential, but SR really hates it.
And I personally hate the new Jirachi Scarf lead......its so annoying with flinch...

And lol, Electivire has more usage than Flygon, after all the talks of flygon becoming the new Garchomp(not in terms of centralization)

I blame the fact that Azelf, Ttar and Aerodactyl are the top 3 leads. If you lead with Iron Head Scarfrachi, you have a 60% chance to ruin suicide Azelf/Aero, and you force Ttar leads to go away.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
A Yanmega lead can take out the jirachi : protect first turn, after the speed boost use Hypnosis, then start spamming Bug Buzz or HP Ground if he stays in. Sadly, he probably won't.
Too bad about Hypnosis's 60%.............

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Dusknoir stays with a good spot in OU by several reasons most notably:

Walling Heatran: A Modest Heatran Fire Blast cant 2hko dusky, what makes him an awesome counter to massive damage the beast with an EQ.

Walling Scizor & Other Physical threats (Gyarados, Salamence, Lucario): Willowisp makes him very good in the physical side.

AND His ability to recover damage while damaging others. I dont know why ppl think Pain Split is a bad move. Its awesome against the likes of Blissey or Snorlax.

Dusknoir FTW!

| 46 | Shiftry |
| 47 | Quagsire |
| 48 | Absol |
| 49 | Jumpluff |
| 59 | Primeape |
| 62 | Poliwhirl |
I find pretty interesting how some UUs appear in the Uber Metagame more than the likes of Suicune, Starmie and Snorlax. Just to point it out.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
Have to agree with ReyScarface here, Dusknoir is one sturdy Ghost.
And not only can he cripple the aforementioned Scizor, Lucario, Gyarados, and Salamence, he can hit them for super-effective damage with the respective elemental punches.

Same here.
Personally, I've seen a lot more porygon 2 then dusknoir, and recently I think I've seen more hitmontop then any of them.
The consistently high rating of dragonite despite my never seeing it surprises me, as well as why people still use electivire. 29?

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
If the OU Cutoff is at 50, then Gallade is out?

Flygon is 30... Oh gosh.
Gallade might still make it, according to X-Act's formula.

As for Flygon.... well, someone had to replace Garchomp's Ground/Dragon role, right?

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Erazor, I think you seriously underestimate Flygon. Of course it picks up where Chomp left off as Ground/Dragon is a fantastic typing both offensively and defensively, but beyond that U-Turn (and levitate to a lesser degree) makes it extremely useful.

Scarf Flygon is a terrific answer to all the stupid psychic-tanks throwing around t-wave/trick. U-Turn kicks 'em in the nads and makes the situation even more nice, and just overall is just a phenomenal move on a choice poke.

Edge/quake resistance finds itself even more useful in Suspect ladder with CB ttar everywhere . . .

Without a doubt if Garchomp were back it would thrive in this arena, but there's no doubt that Flygon is a real contender.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)