Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics - January 2010

uh, no. bulky waters are just as effective against mence and dragonite in most cases since they carry ice attacks, which are far less effective against latias. Salamence isn't exactly the best example since it could very well be the next suspect. Specially based dragonite with draco meteor/surf sounds interesting, but it's just so slow compared to latias. no real advantages over kingdra I think. Something like agility/dragon pulse or meteor/surf/thunderbolt would be really weird. I want to try it now.

The whole TTar thing is interesting, on my ladder team I've been running CBTar for a long time and I've found that in the last couple months its becoming more and more of a deadweight.

Its obviously still an awesome Pokemon so I've been trying other sets on some of my Unrated teams and LO-TTar dies to fast and is even more prone to being revenged by Scizor even though its not locked. Expert Belt worked pretty well. But Scarf was working very well. I was running a special set and you caught a lot of Gliscor and stuff off guard with Dark Pulse and Surf.

ScarfTar is a great set, but TTar's biggest asset is still his variety. People expected Pursuit/SE/Crunch/filler and it made TTar pretty worthless, now that he is running a greater variety of sets he'll be harder to predict and be more effective.

Awww, that's a shame. :(

How will this affect the April tier lists? To be honest, it probably won't make a difference anyway, so it's not a big deal.

Last I heard, the tier changes were being changed to Jan-May-Sept.
I hope not, because I think things can change a lot in 4 months, and the lists might not be representative enough by April/August/December, when they're 4 months old. But if that's what does happen, I'm sure, I'll just get over it.

However, even if the the next tier list is in May, there's still exactly the same problem. All 3 or 4 months need to be taken into account (although, they are weighted to give more importance to the more recent months), yet we don't have one month of the statistics.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
The idea with changing the tiers less often is that tiers will have more time to settle down rather than having a change every 3 months instead of 4. Also, the February stats are at chaos's house, but X-Act has currently disappeared.

The usage tier formula accounts for every month that has passed since the last tier change. There is also a mechanism for suspects that get dropped down during the period. Presumably, this would be used for February if no one had the February stats.

And you wouldn't expect a steel switch-in for Salamence or Dragonite?
Not exactly. If you know the Salamence you're facing is a mix-mence, you wouldn't dare switch in a steel type knowing you'll get fried by a fire blast doing >100%. The only way you're going to switch a steel type into it is, a) you have a choice scarf heatran after it kills one of your pokemon, b) You've got Mence to about 60% to get revenged by Scizor or c) got it to low enough health (30-20) to be picked off by a priority move, by which time it would've taken down a few mons. All the above scenarios talk about switching into revenge kill, not switching into a direct attack.

Now you may be saying, "if it just draco meteors, then i'll just switch in my steel". The truth is, even at -2, a Salamence with 252satk can still at least 2HKO the OU steel types. Metagross takes up to 58%, the standard scizor takes up to 124%, etc.

I normally would switch in a Steel-type if I had no prior information on Salamence (or D-nite), which was the situation I thought I was addressing when I made that post. Salamence can dent anything with Draco Meteor, which is it's safest attack. To use Fire Blast is to risk Heatran or a bulky water coming in and stopping you from netting a kill while you've lost 35% HP for nothing (possibly more if SS is in play). And the next time that you would switched back in, assuming you were retreating and not staying in, you would have lost 60% and not killed anything yet. There is absolutely no reason to lead with Fire Blast unless you know that all of your opponents safest switch-ins are weak to Fire. Steel-types are the greatest switch-in in a situation where the opponent hasn't scouted your entire team (unlikely as MixMence is generally an early-mid game Pokemon used for opening up holes in the opponents team) because Draco Meteor will always be the safest bet for Salamence to use, as it dents everything bar Steel types (kind of) and Blissey.

Also, a 2HKO doesn't matter in the situation that a healthy Steel-type comes in after Salamence uses Draco Meteor. If a Metagross with 60% (after SR) comes in after you kill something with Draco Meteor then it's going to kill you unless you CH. If Jirachi comes in with at least 50% (after SR, of course), it's going to kill you unless you CH. Of course this doesn't matter if you were trying to say that you bring in a Steel on the Draco Meteor, but your post didn't really sound like you were trying to say that. If it did, then yes of course it can still 2KHO but switch-ins all depend on the specific situation and the specific team and you can't generalize something like that. I could be sacrificing my steel or I could be using it to lure in a Fire Blast for Vaporeon or Suicune to make Salamence lose more HP, etc. Also I kind of lost where I was going so this post may be unorganized.

| Mewtwo | Move | Psychic | 6.5 |

In last April/May that was 10%; is Psychic useful, or people are simply misusing Mewtwo?

| Mewtwo | Move | Psychic | 6.5 |

In last April/May that was 10%; is Psychic useful, or people are simply misusing Mewtwo?
Different types get different usages in each tier. For example, in OU, there's a lot of Steels and Dragons get a lot of usage. Whilst in UU, Dragons and Steels are much rarer (only really Steelix, Aggron, Magneton, Altaria and Registeel). On the contrary, Grass-types are not very used in OU, but get a lot more success in UU (Venusaur, Shaymin and Roserade have all been #1 in UU multiple times).

So basically, Psychic on Mewtwo may be useful if you were using it in UU, but not in Ubers, as the types of Pokemon used in Ubers are more resistent to Psychic, than the types of Pokemon used in UU.

This is one of the arguements that people use to say that NFEs won't use the same strategies as their evolutions, as they'll be used in very different environments.

Atticus

Atticus
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
umm im pretty sure the the guy knew psychic was bad in ubers...

simple answer: newer players who simply assume stab is useful on mewtwo

I'd be interested in seeing the February stats to be honest. The last month we had stats for was Januray, and it's April now! I'd be interested to see Tyranitar's usage in OU, and Venusaur, Cresselia, Chansey, and others usages in UU.

In NU, they've missed a couple of months of statistics, but they put the skipped month's statistics with the month's after (if that makes sense), so they could do the same this time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)