Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics - July 2009

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I wish people would stop saying these sort of things. First Yanmega was obviously BL, then Dugtrio would destroy UU. Neither of these things happened. These are the attitudes that created the disaster that was old UU.
A-men to this. We need people like you posting more often :(

48 | Porygon2

So is Porygon2 going to be OU now?
Depends on its usage until the next tier list update, which is in October iirc

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Does Solid Rock ensure some key survivals that Rhydon falls to?

I'm not belittling Rhyperior, but his traits might not be enough to propel him into the top 10 or so of UU. But lets wait till he actually comes into UU before discussing this.
It will still need to run from all the special attacking Water and Grass types in the tier just like Rhydon does, but the stat increase and Solid Rock would make Rhyperior a hell of a lot more resilient to physical attacks:

252+ LO Honchkrow Night Slash vs 164/0 Rhydon: 34.44 - 40.82%
252+ LO Honchkrow SuperPower vs 164/0 Rhydon: 79.08 - 93.37%

Average damage roll of Night Slash + SuperPower vs Rhydon: 123.2%
Average damage roll of SuperPower + SuperPower vs Rhydon: 143.3%

252+ LO Honchkrow Night Slash vs 164/0 Rhyperior: 30.83 - 36.65%
252+ LO Honchkrow SuperPower vs 164/0 (Solid Rock) Rhyperior: 52.67 - 62.14%

Average damage roll of Night Slash + SuperPower vs Rhyperior: 90.5%
Average damage roll of SuperPower + SuperPower vs Rhyperior: 94.8%

As you can see, with this spread (164 HP / 252+ Atk / 92 Spe), Rhyperior can come in on any of Honchkrow's attacks and kill it or force it out, something that Rhydon could never hope to have done, while still outspeeding all the base 50s (Chansey, Donphan, Regirock, Registeel, Azumarill, Hariyama, etc) with its 92 Spe EVs.

---

Rhyperior's damage output isn't too much higher than Rhydon's, but can get some crucial 2HKOs Rhydon missed out on:

CB Rhydon Earthquake vs 252/252+ Donphan: 44.53% - 52.60%
(18.47% chance to 2HKO with SR and Leftovers)
CB Rhyperior Earthquake vs 252/252+ Donphan: 46.88% - 55.47%
(68.97% chance to 2HKO with SR and Leftovers)

The odds are no longer in the Donphan user's favour. The other thing is that Rhyperior doesn't have to fear Donphan's Earthquake nearly as much as Rhydon did:

0 Atk Donphan Earthquake vs 164/0 Rhydon: 55.61 - 65.82%
(guaranteed 2HKO if Donphan outspeeds (runs more than 16 Spe EVs))
0 Atk Donphan Earthquake vs 164/0 Rhyperior: 37.14 - 43.69%
(comfortable survival if Donphan outspeeds)

So in any case, Rhyperior is guaranteed to beat any Donphan switching into it, while Rhydon has a slim chance at best, and Rhyperior can always switch into SR and survive any two of Honchkrow's attacks, while Rhydon would always be taken out.

Pointless theorymon so much fun :) - I think Rhyperior is staying quite stably in OU for the near future at least.

rotom-a made it to the top 10?thats great news!seems that dragonite is slowly rising

thanks for the stats doug!
When I did play last month, I used a lot of Light Screen/Roost/Dragon Dance/Outrage Dragonite.. and it's very effective on a duel Dragon team. With his bulk, he can setup Light Screens for the team early, and sweep late.

Yeah, I don't think anybody should be panicking about the possibility of Rhyperior falling back out of OU again.

It's only marginally better than Rhydon, especially in terms of offense. Infact, due to the random number in the damage calculation, a Rhydon can actually deal more damage than a Rhyperior, if it's lucky. That's how small the offensive difference is. Not to mention, there is nothing that Rhyperior outspeeds that Rhydon does not.

Rhyperior's got significantly better defenses though. With moves that deal 1x damage and 4x damage, there probably isn't much difference, but the moves that deal 2x damage will do quite a chunk less to Rhyperior than to Rhydon, thanks to Solid Rock.

Rhyperior is better than Rhydon, and there's a few things that Rhyperior can KO or survive than Rhydon cannot, but is Rhyperior so much better that it will get 7,000 usages more than Rhydon gets now? Probably not.

When I did play last month, I used a lot of Light Screen/Roost/Dragon Dance/Outrage Dragonite.. and it's very effective on a duel Dragon team. With his bulk, he can setup Light Screens for the team early, and sweep late.
it lacks type variaity so your better off pairing it with a screener insted of using a dragonite as a screener its better to just run earthqauake/roost/dragon dance/outrage

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
it lacks type variaity so your better off pairing it with a screener insted of using a dragonite as a screener its better to just run earthqauake/roost/dragon dance/earthquake
Mono- Dragon is quite effective if you remove steels.

And nice moveset there :)

Mono- Dragon is quite effective if you remove steels.

And nice moveset there :)
yeah the duel screen dnite is effective vs mono dragon teams.problem is that i rarely go into mono typed teams

i also noticed that rotom-a is now the most used ghost,i wonder why gengar dropped and latias rose.all i see why latias is rising is because of salamence and infernape(who since latias arrival didnt mind her at all)

but the gengar drop saddens me despite the fact gengar wreaks latias to peieces with shadow ball(the scarf gengar set in pacticular)

and what is up with all that registeel usage i didnt suspect it to cilmb over mismagicus i guess the intro to dugtrio dropped missy a fair bit.

and what is up with all that registeel usage i didnt suspect it to cilmb over mismagicus i guess the intro to dugtrio dropped missy a fair bit.
If anything, it should be the opposite. Dugtrio would be trapping and killing Registeel, not Mismagius. I believe more people started to realize the value of Tinted Lens Yanmega, and although Registeel doesn't resist its attacks it has enough Special Defense to still counter it and cripple it. Registeel with Curse is also incredibly hard to take down.

As far as Rhyperior entering UU, I'm not too concerned. Sure, it'll be a powerful sweeper and pretty decent wall breaker but certainly nothing spectacular or broken.

Alakazam moving into UU might change the metagame quite a bit, but I doubt it be considered broken with all the Sucker Punches flying around. However, people will need to be more creative with their counters:

Choice Specs Alakazam's Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Drapion:
553 Atk vs 186 Def & 282 HP (120 Base Power): 255 - 301 (90.43% - 106.74%) = OHKO after Stealth Rock

Choice Specs Alakazam's Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Calm Chansey:
553 Atk vs 339 Def & 641 HP (120 Base Power): 282 - 332 (43.99% - 51.79%) = 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Alakazam is certainly no slouch, and can kill even Chansey with just a tad of luck. However, it has to predict perfectly or else miss out on the KO.

If anything, it should be the opposite. Dugtrio would be trapping and killing Registeel, not Mismagius. I believe more people started to realize the value of Tinted Lens Yanmega, and although Registeel doesn't resist its attacks it has enough Special Defense to still counter it and cripple it. Registeel with Curse is also incredibly hard to take down.
dugtrio traps and KOs missy with night slash/sucker punch

but yeah registeel can take punishment from tinted lens yanmega and do some major damage with ice punch

dugtrio traps and KOs missy with night slash/sucker punch

but yeah registeel can take punishment from tinted lens yanmega and do some major damage with ice punch
Arena Trap does not affect Pokemon with the ability Levitate, which Mismagius possess. Mismagius also often uses Substitute and Calm Mind, meaning it can essentially set up on a Dugtrio trying to Sucker Punch it. Registeel is weak to Ground, Dugtrio's STAB moves and can be trapped by Arena Trap. Plus, many Registeel are more Special Defensively inclined.

I laughed out loud at this. I guess not many of the good things in UU have abilities that Trace can effectively turn against them?
The only useful things Pory2 can trace are

Speed Boost(Useless since Yanmega is already faster)
Chlorophyll/Swift Swim(A lot of Rain/Sun sweepers are faster anyway)
Intimidate(Hitmontop/Arcanine)
Flash Fire (Arcanine/Houndoom)
Arena Trap
Volt Absorb(Lanturn)

Ironically most of the useful trace switches are either bad or mediocre switches for P2. Arcanine might Overheat/Fire Blast on an intimidate trace or toxic on either, and a lot of Arcanines run Toxic/Lum Berry so even if Pory doesn't switch into it he might get toxiced while not accomplishing anything. Houndoom usually has nasty plot and/or taunt. Intimidate-Top usually has close combat. If the Pory2 has toxic then he would admittedly be a great counter to a lot of Lanturn builds but Lanturn is hardly something that gives teams problems.

Thanks a lot Doug! Also, one of the reasons Umbreon is a great pokemon, is actually an underated move: Sucker Punch. I personally run it on my current team, and it can surprise many players. I don't use it to do massive damage, but to really hurt the likes of Gengar, Latias, Alakazam, and other frail pokemon. Its also very good at stopping the likes of Focus Sashed pokemon. Think about it like this, you have a +2 Lucario with 1 HP thanks to your Focus Sash, and your opponet brings in an Umbreon. What whould you do? Extreme Speed? No, Close Combat. But then you meet a Sucker Punch to the face, killing your sweep. Another great part about Umbreon, is that it just came out of UU a month ago, so some people may have an empression that its frail, but with its 90/110/130 Defences, Most priority moves won't KO, and you can always just switch out on Scizor, as Umbreon resists those Pursuits with its awesome Dark typing. Plus it works as a great Wish Passer, and with Yawn, Toxic, and Taunt, it can help support any team.

Also, I hope Porygon2 does make OU, but its situation is Unique, a pokemon that preforms exelent in OU, but fails to do well in UU, so its at the brink of both the Overused and Neverused tiers, I wonder what will happen...

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks a lot Doug! Also, one of the reasons Umbreon is a great pokemon, is actually an underated move: Sucker Punch. I personally run it on my current team, and it can surprise many players. I don't use it to do massive damage, but to really hurt the likes of Gengar, Latias, Alakazam, and other frail pokemon. Its also very good at stopping the likes of Focus Sashed pokemon. Think about it like this, you have a +2 Lucario with 1 HP thanks to your Focus Sash, and your opponet brings in an Umbreon. What whould you do? Extreme Speed? No, Close Combat. But then you meet a Sucker Punch to the face, killing your sweep. Another great part about Umbreon, is that it just came out of UU a month ago, so some people may have an empression that its frail, but with its 90/110/130 Defences, Most priority moves won't KO, and you can always just switch out on Scizor, as Umbreon resists those Pursuits with its awesome Dark typing. Plus it works as a great Wish Passer, and with Yawn, Toxic, and Taunt, it can help support any team.

Also, I hope Porygon2 does make OU, but its situation is Unique, a pokemon that preforms exelent in OU, but fails to do well in UU, so its at the brink of both the Overused and Neverused tiers, I wonder what will happen...
0 Atk Umbreon Sucker Punch vs 4/0 Lucario: 7.11 - 8.54%

focus slash works decently on the sword dance set.you can get an extra sword dance while still surviving from lucarios rather fraill defenses

Hmm How did hitmontop fall so fast after all he possess every almost every single commonly used priority of note in UU.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)