1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics - March 2009

Discussion in 'Pokémetrics' started by DougJustDoug, Apr 5, 2009.

1. kd24

kd24 yo daddy musta been a drug dealer? why, cuz you're dope
    is a Pokemon Researcheris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

if forry sets up toxic spikes you switch to lucario or rayquaza and get a free sd / dd

if forry sets up spikes you go to rayquaza

if your only sweeper is groudon and forry sets up toxic spikes, just use safeguard.

i love switching wobb into forry, it usually means i get a free ko or two.
  2. Jibaku

Jibaku Not taking FS requests atm.
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

I'd much rather switch Lucario/Ray directly into Forry rather than wasting two turns to get Spikes in. While Ray could eat a Gyro Ball it can threaten Forry away with Overheat. Lucario threatens Forry anyways unless it has EQ, which I don't believe is used. The rare Reflect could get in the way for Lucario, but only I use Reflect on Forry so it doesn't matter much.

In many of my battles swapping Wobb into Forry usually puts me at a large advantage later in the game when they realize they start taking 37.5% every time they swap something in. For one free KO they could do their whole team is now crippled, and something could easily take advantage of that (like Kyogre). Of course this is coming from someone who plays with a defensive team so set ups don't phase me as much as it would against a frail team. I think Theorymon would back me up on this since he has experienced firsthand of what happens when you Encore Forry's Spikes.
  3. auramaster

auramaster

Great job Doug, always look forward to new stats.

Rotom-A was used 56,118 times, which puts him 15th, behind Gengar.

Looks like the RSE trio is back, Lucario is now Uber strong:), but brought his Partner in Crime with him:(.
  4. Theorymon

Theorymon You have a fever. I prescribe more dead angels.
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

I must agree, sending Wobbuffet into any spiker is just asking for trouble. I guess people send Wobbuffet in because they think Wobbuffet is the best switch in to support pokemon, which is not the case for spikers like Forry and Skarm.

I am also surprised that Mewtwo's usage went down, as its a great answer to Wobbuffet thanks to taunt.

I'm very surprised that many people are not using Wobbuffet with wish support, it really makes him a lot harder for most teams to handle in my experience.
  5. ultimifier

ultimifier

but the thing is most teams that have forry i.e. stallish teams, have a SUREFIRE check to SD quaza/luke. one of my stall teams has a scarf dialga that completely screws over those 2 sweepers. another one has a scarf mew that simply explodes on rayquaza or trickscarfs lucario into ES who is then walled by giratina.

creative thinking can get around a set up and then 3 layers of spikes are present, which is very helpful for a stall team
  6. locopoke

locopoke indulges in unsavory behavior
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Well, I agree, but the situation may differ depending on the teams and what Pokemon are left. If Wobbuffet lets Forretress set up 3 layers of Spikes, but then SD Rayquaza comes in and the other player has nothing to defend against it, it's gg.
  7. Random Pizzaman

Random Pizzaman

Wait a sec:
    45-Ninetales
    49-Houndoom

Why is Ninetales above Houndoom? 'Doom does NP so much better
  8. LoveDensity

LoveDensity

9. panamaxis

panamaxis Allons-y!
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

*waits for dusknoir to drop out of OU*
  10. joshe

joshe the best

I might be a little late, but Thanks Doug.

I'm a little surprised at why Aerodactyl and Ninjask were so high on the lead usage list. Metagross owns them.
  11. Paltheos

Paltheos

That's fine, Jib. I haven't played much this month (and my laptop's broken right now, so "even if"). You may find these figures helpful in your analysis (and hopefully everyone else also finds them interesting).

Diversity Trends (Overall Usage)

There were approximately 38.8% more uber battles this month.

Rank - February - March* - Percent Change
    *- scaled down to actual usage*~.7205

1).......7136..........7261.2.......+1.8%
    2).......5567..........5993.1.......+7.7%
    3).......5475..........5237.3.......-4.4%
    4).......5450..........5181.1.......-5.0%
    5).......5184..........5155.9.......-0.5%
    6).......4401..........4837.4.....+10.0%
    7).......3588..........3359.7.......-6.4%
    8).......3313..........3018.9.......-8.9%
    9).......3198..........3005.9.......-6.0%
    10).....2769..........2909.4.......+5.1%
    11).....2536..........2267.4......-10.6%
    12).....2465..........2242.9.......-9.0%
    13).....2385..........2162.2.......-9.3%
    14).....2324..........2013.8......-13.3%
    15).....2249..........2009.5......-10.7%
    16).....1944..........1876.2.......-3.5%
    17).....1907..........1668.7......-12.5%
    18).....1411..........1479.2.......+4.8%
    19).....1301..........1441.7......+10.8%
    --- OU cut-off point --- (February/March)
    20).....1129..........1064.9......-5.7%
    21).....1090............977.0.....-10.4%
    22)......925............945.3.......+2.2%
    23)......848............917.9.......+8.2%
    24)......827............906.4.......+9.6%
    25)......726............858.8......+18.3%
  12. sbc

sbc

Electivire usage greater than Suicune usage what the hell. I don't see why Ambipom is so high in UU, especially with Mismagmius, Spiritomb, Registeel and Steelix so common.
  13. EvilMario

EvilMario

Indeed, I question all the Fake Out Ambipom leads as well. The most dangerous set, at least against me, is a surprise Baton Pass Ambipom lead.. because my instinct is always to switch to my mono-attacking Spiritomb.
  14. Cost

Cost

Not one person ran knock off on their Sandslash and Venosaur movesets. o_o

How come?

edit: Nvm, some people ran knock off on their venusaur, but knock off should still be one of sandslash's main moves o_x
  15. Veedrock

Veedrock

It really says something about how centralized Ubers is when a Pokemon gets all but 200 of its usage from leading and still makes the top 10.
  16. ninja1357

ninja1357

Seeing the difference in rank between standard Ludicolo and suspect Ludicolo makes me lol

Thanks Doug.
  17. Matthew

Matthew I love weather; Sun for days
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I think it's interesting that the RSE Trio have claimed the top three spots for the first time since November.
  18. Peachfuzz

Peachfuzz

Ambipom as the number one lead after Crobat's banning seems to be increasing in April. Every team I face has a god damn Ambipom lead. It completely ruins a lot of offensive teams just by switching in, Faking Out, and switching out.

The UU metagame seems to be fairly balanced between offense and defense. It is not as defensive/stall based some people are making it out to be. The biggest surprise to me was Honchkrow at 5th. I haven't seen it often, but it plays a similar role to Salamence in OU, who wrecks havoc on the opponent's defenses at the right moment and suicides (at least the ones I've seen).

It also makes me happy that four of the top 15 UU leads carry Stealth Rock (you can argue Nidoqueen, but I mostly see those setting up Toxic Spikes, which are still useless by the way). In OU it's all of them, which shows you how different the metagames are as well as the significance of Stealth Rock on pokemon usage. I don't want to see any Stealth Rock/Explosion Registeel or Steelix anytime soon please.

Just some thoughts. Thanks Doug!
  19. Staraptor Call

Staraptor Call

Completely inferior NFEs got 9759 uses in March, which puts them between #64 Arcanine and #63 Azumarill. And that doesn't even include other joke uses such as Luvdisc and Whiscash.
  20. Scofield

Scofield Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

I keep thinking mence will take the top slot and it never does =(

Is there any reason why all of the Rotom-A aren't all combined into one? That would give a much more accurate reading of Rotom-A's frequency. I mean, it is how the tiering works for those forms, where if one is OU they are all OU.
  21. Thorns

Thorns

ok guys please stop saying 'yeah half of those usages are mine' or I guess that's my fault' cause it's not. there are thousands of matches played and unless you're scizzy or some shit like that you did not play thousands of matches.
  22. RBG

RBG Got a long list of ex-lovers, they'll tell you I'm insane.
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Facebook Manager

Because they have different sprites and that is how shoddy is programmed. Plus, with the stats this way, you can see the chance that a ROtom-a will not have its special move.
  23. panamaxis

panamaxis Allons-y!
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

Stealth Rock is usually one of sandslashes main moves, Earthquake for STAB, Rapid Spin (which is why you would use him over other pokes in the first place) and something to hit ghosts (rotom and mismagius are immune to earthquake, usually stone edge goes here). One of sandslashes main roles is rapid spinning, and it needs at least two slots to cover that (which is probably why knock-off isn't popular).
  24. Erazor

Erazor ✓ Just Doug It
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Knock Off would actually help against Mismagius though, wouldn't it?
  25. neato

neato

Why is Dusknoir OU?

So i've been playing with this cool pokemon, and as asthetically pleasing as he is, I got to wonder why is he OU? His moveset is virtually identical to spiritomb except the elemental punches. But spiritomb can attack just as well by using his higher special stat and is a better CM user. Ghost/dark is also a better combination than just ghost. Furthermore, he can really only be used on a team with Blissey. Even then, rotom usually makes for a stronger spin blocker. I rarely see or face him. And if I do I usually kill him really quick or setup on him. He's the most suspect person of OU I think, even over some of the lesser used pokemon.

Am I missing something or am I using him wrong? Why is he so strong? Is he just useful on stall teams and so is keeping himself in OU strictly because of blissey?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)