Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics - May 2009

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Thanks as usual Doug.

From my early calculations, the Suspect metagame is even more centralised than the Uber metagame. Suspect diversity numbers are 2+3+4+5+12 = 26 compared to the diversity numbers of 3+3+4+6+11 = 27 for Ubers, so Ubers is slightly more diverse than Suspect!

I'll provide my usual stats from these when I return home from work.

The things that I'm the most surprised about are: Manaphy on the suspect ladder. Mamoswine's low usage as a lead, as he is a very good one. And Blissey Falling outa the top ten. All of those physical sweepers must have done her head in.

GO! GO! Porygon2!
hes really fighting his best to get into OU and he made it into the top 50.
no surprise seeing as he is a reliable switch in to 3 of the top 4 in standard.
thanks doug you rock.

I cant belve this for like 6 months salamence scizor heatran gyrados and metagross/infernape have been the top 5.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Qwilfish usage in Standard seems to have risen from 127 to 115, I see. Much of it's my doing, of course. Not enough, though- I plan to get the forgotten fearsome fish o' fantasticness into OU! See, when enough of my opponents realize how powerful Qwilfish can be, they'll be inspired to use one on their own OU teams. Which will lead to THEIR opponents being inspired and so forth. This is why I use a team full of UU or lower Pokemon in OU. And I actually do win.

And Scizor's got the top spot. I wouldn't be surprised if that starts to drop in the next month, seeing as I have been able to defeat every single Scizor I was faced with using an Arbok. Intimidate lets it survive Bullet Punch. Then it can OHKO with Fire Fang. This is the sort of thing that'll get Arbok into OU.
really wish people would stop making posts like this—nobody cares what x user has done to get y pokemon z spots up in usage.

and we definitely dont care about how easily you can beat x ou pokemon with y uu/nu pokemon, as if that's really why scizor's usage will drop next month or that we should be actually trying to get x nu pokemon into ou. unreal how pretentious a post this is, dont do it again (can you tell im not one for deleting posts)

Is there no "fail safe" to prevent obviously overpowered Pokemon from going into UU based on usage alone. I mean Heracross and possibly Dugtrio, although both completely suck in OU simple theorymon will suggest that they dont belong anywhere near that tier.

My question is what is done about this?

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
From my early calculations, the Suspect metagame is even more centralised than the Uber metagame. Suspect diversity numbers are 2+3+4+5+12 = 26 compared to the diversity numbers of 3+3+4+6+11 = 27 for Ubers, so Ubers is slightly more diverse than Suspect!
Interesting....
Probably because either people spamming suspects or them missing Garchomp.

While 64% Chomp surprises me, it actually makes sense considering that Garchomp is probably the easiest to fit in. Shaymin-S, although very abusable, can't just stick itself into any team, while generally only one Lati@s appear in a team (even though combined Chomp still beats them). Chomp's immunity to SS, Sand Veil, Electric, resistance to SR and 108/95/85 Defenses let is slip into teams better than Lati@s imo.

(Not saying Chomp is Uber, of course)

Actually this month's stats are interesting in general
1) Wobba dropped to #12
2) Palkia went up to #2
3) Rayquaza dropped to #6
4) Giratina-O is used more than Giratina-A
5) Dugtrio goes to #53

Is there no "fail safe" to prevent obviously overpowered Pokemon from going into UU based on usage alone. I mean Heracross and possibly Dugtrio, although both completely suck in OU simple theorymon will suggest that they dont belong anywhere near that tier.
This is the same mentality that gave us our 'old UU'. Just because they're OU stalwarts doesn't mean that they''ll overpower the tier. People said things about Yanmega - they didn't turn out to be true.

Comments, from the top down:

Scizor being at number 1 is no shocker, although, useage HAS risen, from 37% to 29%. Salamance also retains number 2, but has dropped to 22.6%, which I blame the faster Latias carring the OHKO Draco Meteor for.

Garados useage actually is surprising, I see a lot more than just under 20% of teams with it. That said, all the Rotom running amok...

Heatran and Metagross being number 4 and 5 respectivly. Scarftran is scary to most things, and I see it everywhere. Metagross, I don't see why it's so high right now. I don't see many, and when I do, they always fail to KO.

Steel types have 3/5 of the top spots. Grab your Ground and Fire types! Camerupt would be capable of OHKO'ing all three of the reigning Steels.

Infernape and Lucario play similar roles, and, being wall breakers, they are no shocker.

Gengar's going back up, last time, I saw Gengar going down!

Swampert's have been leads left right and center.

Blissey at 11 0_0

Jirachi, new lord of flinchhax, is at 15, proves how many rely on hax...

Skarmory is at 17? I blame Magnezone's rising useage to trap the leading steels.

Jolteon's gonna give Zapdos competiton for top Electric!

Rotom at 26?! I see them EVERYWHERE.

Ludicolo being at 57 worries me slightly, due to them being a staple on all rain teams, and a manace when doing so.

Well, that's all I have to say.

Gouki

nice times all the times
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Past SPL Champion
Rotom at 26?! I see them EVERYWHERE.
rotom-a is actually 13th if you add the forms together.

also lol

67 | Rotom-c | 13137 | 1.94
68 | Rotom-w | 13136 | 1.94

Amazing job as always
I expected even more garchomp usage in the suspect ladder. Every team i have seen had garchomp.
Heatran is slowly falling in usage in standard ladder
Yea, I even expected a higher usage of Garchomp. Everyone uses it because it fits perfectly on any team.

Wow.....Hera and Duggy may just find them in UU very soon.

474 | Beldum | 1 | 0.00

Sorry whoever you are I Respect you ur legend for using beldum. ZENN HEADBUTT THOSE DOUBTERS TO DEATH!

This is the same mentality that gave us our 'old UU'. Just because they're OU stalwarts doesn't mean that they''ll overpower the tier. People said things about Yanmega - they didn't turn out to be true.
Seconded. Making decisions on a Pokemon's UU/BL status based on pure theorymon is now a thing of the past, and rightly so.

Interestingly though, Heracross is kinda like Gallade on steroids, what with a much more powerful second STAB and access to Guts. Murders stuff like Spiritomb and bulky Psychics that Gallade had trouble with, but perhaps has more problems with Poison types, particularly Weezing. Also OHKO'd by Shaymin's Air Slash, whereas Gallade could easily survive or benefit from it. The biggest drawback though is probably the lack of useful priority, opening it up to revenge kills from common sweepers like Espeon and Specs Mismagius that Gallade was never phazed by.

Would that be enough to stop Heracross from fulfilling the Offensive Characteristic like Gallade did? Only through testing would we know for sure, assuming the situation ever arises...

GO! GO! Porygon2!
hes really fighting his best to get into OU and he made it into the top 50.
no surprise seeing as he is a reliable switch in to 3 of the top 4 in standard.
thanks doug you rock.
From the trend you can see in Suspect(decline in usage of Salamence, and most likely Heatran and Zapdos too), if Garchomp becomes OU, then I think we will see a decline in the usage of Porygon2. Garchomp is a more dominant version of Salamence, and both Heatran and Zapdos can't do much with their STABs and psuedo STABs(at this point I consider Earth Power and Heat Wave, respectively, pseudo STABs, because they are almost obligatory). Porygon2 was a decent check for these pokemon, although admittedly he does much better against Gyarados than any of the aforementioned pokemon, due to Salamence running mixed sets and Heatran having Toxic quite often.

So 1/4 of teams use Crobat in UU, and 2/5 of them use Crobat as a lead.

Interesting. I was definitely thinking more as leads (Like 15%).

Seconded. Making decisions on a Pokemon's UU/BL status based on pure theorymon is now a thing of the past, and rightly so.

Interestingly though, Heracross is kinda like Gallade on steroids, what with a much more powerful second STAB and access to Guts. Murders stuff like Spiritomb and bulky Psychics that Gallade had trouble with, but perhaps has more problems with Poison types, particularly Weezing. Also OHKO'd by Shaymin's Air Slash, whereas Gallade could easily survive or benefit from it. The biggest drawback though is probably the lack of useful priority, opening it up to revenge kills from common sweepers like Espeon and Specs Mismagius that Gallade was never phazed by.
This is definitely true, I hate when people assume UU is full of pokemon with glass defenses and paper bag offenses. And Heracross is very similar to Gallade, and probably better imo with that tiny bit of speed more and Megahorn! to destroy Slowbro, and to fill out a CB set with. Also, doesn't it have access to Sucker Punch, effectively stopping Missy and Espeon clod. Another advantage is Hera resists Honchkrow's Sucker Punch with a 4x resist, and with Guts makes possibly the best switch into Spiritomb and Chansey.

This is definitely true, I hate when people assume UU is full of pokemon with glass defenses and paper bag offenses. And Heracross is very similar to Gallade, and probably better imo with that tiny bit of speed more and Megahorn! to destroy Slowbro, and to fill out a CB set with. Also, doesn't it have access to Sucker Punch, effectively stopping Missy and Espeon clod. Another advantage is Hera resists Honchkrow's Sucker Punch with a 4x resist, and with Guts makes possibly the best switch into Spiritomb and Chansey.
Heracross does not get Sucker Punch and he only resists Sucker Punch 2x. Bug does not resist Dark, only Fighting, Dark, and Steel do (making Lucario the only existing Pokemon who x4 resists it).

The main problem with Heracross is that Fighting and Bug do not have great coverage together. Yes, Bug hits the Psychic types that Fighting fails against, but they both are resisted by Flying, Poison, and Ghost. This means that Heracross is hard-pressed to find a set that can hit everything it needs to. On a Swords Dance set he's stuck with only three attacks, which leaves him stranded against the Nidos (Stone Edge is resisted, Neutral Night Slash does pathetic damage), Crobat (a neutral Night Slash does pathetic damage to him, Immune to Earthquake), or Mismagius (Facade on the Flame Orb sets leaves a resisted Megahorn as the best option, immune to Earthquake). Even on 4-attack choice sets he's stuck picking between Night Slash to hit Misgmagius or the potentially more useful Pursuit.

Heracross does not get Sucker Punch and he only resists Sucker Punch 2x. Bug does not resist Dark, only Fighting, Dark, and Steel do (making Lucario the only existing Pokemon who x4 resists it).

The main problem with Heracross is that Fighting and Bug do not have great coverage together. Yes, Bug hits the Psychic types that Fighting fails against, but they both are resisted by Flying, Poison, and Ghost. This means that Heracross is hard-pressed to find a set that can hit everything it needs to. On a Swords Dance set he's stuck with only three attacks, which leaves him stranded against the Nidos (Stone Edge is resisted, Neutral Night Slash does pathetic damage), Crobat (a neutral Night Slash does pathetic damage to him, Immune to Earthquake), or Mismagius (Facade on the Flame Orb sets leaves a resisted Megahorn as the best option, immune to Earthquake). Even on 4-attack choice sets he's stuck picking between Night Slash to hit Misgmagius or the potentially more useful Pursuit.
After a SD, Guts boosted Megahorn is guaranteed to OHKO 48 HP / 0 Def Mismagius(standard CMer). The next bulkiest spread on the analysis, 252 HP / 0 Def, takes 97.84% minimum, so have fun trying that. In return, since Missy is faster, and Heracross's burn takes place after Burn Orb, he will only have 87.5%. Mismagius's Shadow Ball does 44.70% maximum, so Heracross will be left at 42.8% after killing her, burn bringing him down to 30.3%, which isn't a lot, but definitely enough to bring down another pokemon. You are much better off trying a Dusclops than Mismagius to stop him.

EDIT: The same Hera's Facade will also bring down the Nidos, while Close Combat will take down any other physical wall. He doesn't need perfect coverage in UU, he can use his sheer power to overwhelm the walls/tanks.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Also it's not exactly as if Heracross is "frail" 80 / 75 / 95 is nothing to write home about, but it's respectable enough for a sweeper.

Heracross will have big problems with Crobat. Sure, Stone Edge will hurt, but that's what prediction is for. What I'd be interested in is seeing how Heracross will work with Baton Passed Speed under its belt.

But thankfully, we still have another month. And chances are that Heracross could stay in OU anyways. What we should be a lot more worried about is Dugtrio - like someone mentioned previously, it has good synergy with Crobat and U-turn.

How the UU Tier has changed, usage-wise, from April.

Code:
1.  Crobat (+7)
2.  Shaymin (-1)
3.  Mismagius (-1)
4.  Registeel (+1)
5.  Milotic (+1)
6.  Roserade (-2)
7.  Hitmontop (+3)
8.  Honchkrow (+3)
9.  Steelix (-2)
10. Blaziken (-7)
11. Spiritomb (+1)
12. Claydol (+4)
13. Yanmega (+7)
14. Arcanine (-1)
15. Regirock (+3)
16. Ambipom (-7)
17. Uxie (+2)
18. Espeon (-1)
19. Azumarill (-4)
20. Slowbro (+1)
21. Chansey (+2)
22. Moltres (+9)
23. Clefable (-9)
24. Altaria (+4)
25. Ludicolo (+7)
26. Kabutops (+7)
27. Umbreon (-1)
28. Hitmonlee (+9)
29. Feraligatr (+0)
30. Omastar (+26)
31. Absol (+3)
32. Toxicroak (-2)
33. Blastoise (-9)
34. Drapion (-12)
35. Miltank (+0)
36. Hariyama (-9)
37. Swellow (-12)
38. Lanturn (+5)
39. Venusaur (-1)
40. Cloyster (+25)
41. Rotom (+7)
42. Electrode (+3)
43. Porygon2 (+7)
44. Scyther (+0)
45. Medicham (-4)
46. Sceptile (+4)
47. Houndoom (-11)
48. Gardevoir (+6)
49. Nidoqueen (+8)
50. Poliwrath (-11)
51. Charizard (+1)
52. Magmortar (-10)
53. Nidoking (-13)
54. Mesprit (-5)
55. Quagsire (+40)
56. Weezing (+3)
57. Hitmonchan (+18)
58. Ninetales (-3)
59. Primeape (+8)
60. Articuno (+28)
61. Shuckle (+13)
62. Drifblim (-16)
63. Typhlosion (-5)
64. Tangrowth (-11)
65. Torterra (-14)
Trivia:
- Ludicolo and Kabutops were only separated by 14 usages last month; it is the same difference this month.

I might do some more with this later.

oh god it looks as if suicide leads are coming back in style... Where did the good times go? Well, at least meta is inb the top leading spot, grats for that, however azelf has a close second which is just meh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)