1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics - November 2008

Discussion in 'Pokémetrics' started by DougJustDoug, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Zoro

Zoro

Anyone knows why Hitmonchan usage has risen that much this month ? =C

Thanks Doug, these are just awesome.
  2. goldemblem

goldemblem

I have been out of the competitive scene for a while, why the hell is Scizor in the 1st place of OU?
  3. Naxte

Naxte

Pretty much Platinum updates, which brought it Bullet Punch, which is a great move on it, getting STAB and Technician boosts, on top of being a priority move coming off 130 base attack. It's pretty much been high since it got it; in October it was number 2 and it was already jumping up in the middle of September, when the Platinum updates were added.

Scizor is also part of the reason why Zapdos has increased in usage, since it works as a good counter for Scizor, especially since it got Heat Wave in the transition to Platinum.
  4. RaikouLover

RaikouLover

I never once even dreamed of the possibility of Yanmega beating Zapdos. However, Yanmega DOES beat Scizor one on one most of the time. Even a 50% health Yanmega can take out Scizor if you Air Slash predicting its switch in (which is pretty damn likely since people are so overzealous with switching in Scizor). Yanmega 2HKOs Scizor, and Scizor doesn't 2HKO Yanmega, hence Yanmega will always win, making Scizor a shit "check" that people seem to use it as. People are too blinded by Hypnosis accuracy drop, which was never the main reason you should be using Yanmega anyway. But yeah, just for everyone's reference:

394 Attack Life Orb Bullet Punch vs. Min HP / Def Yanmega: 51-60%
    394 Attack Life Orb Bullet Punch vs. 104 Def Yanmega: 45-53%

Emmm.... No wonder... I forgot I'm the only idiot that uses Defense EVs on Yanmega, thats why mine never loses to Scizor :-(... Dammit everyone! Stop running max speed with Speed boost!
  5. Trust

Trust

Ludicolo #58. I supose that my team helped with that. I hope it reaches OU soon, as it can start a sweep with Rain Dance and setting up with Swampert, Starmie or Heatran.

About Rhyperior and Flygon, it was clear. Rhyperior helps with a lot of threats in Platinum, and Flygon is the new lite Garchomp.

Yanmega also lost Hypnosis accuracy, and with Bullet Punch Scizor it can't be as strong as before.
  6. petrie911

petrie911

Magnezone at only 36th? Considering that you can switch it in on any Steel attack and have it do laughable damage (CBgross can't even break the sub with Meteor Mash), in addition to trapping and killing any steel that isn't Lucario, Heatran, or sometimes Jirachi, I would think people would be using it a lot. It's the main reason I don't worry about Scizor. It comes in on my Aerodactyl and I immediately go to Magnezone to eat the bullet punch. Unless it's Jolly with max speed or extremely specially defensive, I outspeed and OHKO every time with HP fire.

ScarfZone is also fun. Isn't able to counter non-choiced Metagross or EQing Bronzong, but has the nice advantage of pwning Lucario as long as it doesn't switch in on a fighting attack.
  7. RaikouLover

RaikouLover

If your not using ScarfZone, then why are you using HP Fire? Specszone is the shiz right now, it OHKOs Scizor anyway.
  8. grizzly bear

grizzly bear

i expected cacturne to be higher in ou, been seeing so many lately.
  9. rayquazamaster776

rayquazamaster776

Grumpig | Move | HP-Bug | 22.9
    Grumpig | Move | Signal Beam | 13.7

Does anyone else find this weird, or is it just me?
  10. Peachfuzz

Peachfuzz

Is Signal Beam a Platinum addition? People probably just don't know about it.
  11. Nido The King

Nido The King

Bleh I don't know how scizor gets to be the number one used pokemon, a lot of useful counters for it =/[/quote]

You forgot...
    With Pursuit and Bullet Punch steroided by Technicion, Scizor's trapping abillities makes Dugtrio look like Jumpluff!

Plus, Dance Orb+a healing move+big attack+amazing movepool/abillity+little weaknesses=a sweeper that makes even SKARMORY back away!!

Let's not forget a useful Baton Passer!

The only real insult is quad weakness to Fire and only average Speed and Defence.
  12. cim

cim happiness is such hard work
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

65 is "average" since when?

It's a pretty mediocre trapper (Technician doesn't boost switch Pursuit) but it's an interesting Pokémon. It's a great revenger. I think it's a lot of hype that he's numebr 1, but he'll be top OU for awhile.
  13. Colonel M

Colonel M I don't suck it's my team that sucks!
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon

Trust me, Scizor is very useful because it CAN adapt to a team pretty well. It's by no means a horrible sweeper (priority Bullet Punch is still useful) and the Trapper set is a good set, especially in the Uber tier. Granted, Pursuit isn't boosted during the switch, but it still does consistent damage beforehand (unlike Heracross and Metagross). Choice Band plays mind-games with U-Turn, Bullet Punch, and Pursuit. Good Baton Pass Pokemon, blah blah.
  14. meteor64

meteor64

How come NO-ONE noticed shuckle at no.88 in OU? He ranks higher than a lot of BLs now, notably floatzel and Wak.
  15. Peachfuzz

Peachfuzz

Scizor's just a different heavy hitter unlike any of the other top sweepers like Salamence, or Heracross. It can fit on so many teams and fulfill so many roles. Awesome stand alone sweeper, trapper, scouter with U-turn, revenge killer. It stops a lot of frail sweepers that teams may otherwise have lots of trouble with. These qualities make it an excellent team player.
  16. never_again

never_again

On a side note, the top of the OU usage list doesnt surprise me one bit, as all of them are supposed to check one another. Tyranitar's increase was also expected, to switch into Zapdos, whose of of the top Scizor switch ins. Scizor *just happens* to scare off TTar, I swear OU is like a neverending cycle.
  17. JLei2k

JLei2k

Timid Zone with Leftovers is good because of Sub. All those Scarf Jirachi's and Scarf Metagross make him easy to switch in. Either he gets a Scarf tricked on to him and traps and outspeeds them both (Scarf Gross doesn't run EQ usually) or they Iron Head/ Mash then you can safely sub up kill them and have a Sub up for the switch in. I use a TTar lead so he is basically a magnet for those attacks. TTar is also a magnet for Scizor switch ins which this Magenzone can safely sub against as well since they'll normally just Bullet Punch you for some damage knowing you will outspeed or you can just HP Fire it and kill it. I'm surprised Magenzone isn't higher because it can revenge kill Scizor guaranteed and switch in on it pretty safely and guarantee the kill as well.
  18. Diana

Diana This isn't even my final form
    is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor Alumnus

Good stats as always, been looking at stats from here before I joined for sure.

Kind of surprised at Rhyperior jumping that high despite the fact that it's really good, it always seemed to get ignored.
  19. tennisace

tennisace brock you like a hurricane
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
    Twitter Head

I have to disagree, I've used them on the same team before and it was very sucessful, the trick is to not make them both DDers and use one as a lure.

@Skiddle, I use a Scarf Porygon2 with HP Ground to screw Magnezone revenging Scizor. Its really fun to trap the trapper.

Thanks Doug once again, and I can't wait to see those new additions!
  20. Syberia

Syberia [custom user title]
    is a Pre-Contributor

MixMence and DDNite together on the same team work very well, one eliminates the counters for the other.
  21. MorseCoder

MorseCoder

The Technicianed Bullet Punch on that Scizor made it a ...

It wasnt that nasty before it got Bullet Punch..
  22. cim

cim happiness is such hard work
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Don't call it a monster. Please.

Monster would imply it's somehow horribly threatening and there's nothing you could do to stop it.
  23. Amelia

Amelia

I'm an Electivire user, and well, i don't see why it's so high in usage really (apart from those newbies who used it). The only reason why I'm actually using Electivire is because I have a team of 3 Electric Weaks, and having Electivire in the team really scares the opponent into using Electric attacks. The trick to using him is to know when to switch him out.

Which is something i doubt the newbies know how to do.

And, the only surprising thing on this list is probably Shaymin-S. The rest are expected.
  24. twash

twash
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Thanks for this Doug, it sure will be useful!
  25. gorm

gorm
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

chris please keep your arbitrary definitions out of this thread ^__^~

why the vire hate guys? i run it with ~celebi~ + other zapdos bait and it does pretty nice, ohkoing scizor, heatran , and giving zapdos a run for it's money. it takes care of alot of top threats! it's just not very potent. people tend to use it as a sweeper (and it invariably gets walled), not a mop. even starmie can lategame clean, and it's attacking power is even lower than vires ;)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)