Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

So,I'm an idiot that can't find out how to post. xD

Can somebody please help me out?Thank you if you do.
But you just did...

If you mean post a thread, you need permission in most competitive forums from a moderator. If you mean just post in a thread, do what you did here in another thread.

How to build a team from scratch. Will you help me? If you like ill even throw in an event volcanion
I can help you teambuild if you want. There's no need for payment or anything, as I'm doing this for its own sake. Feel free to write on my wall or private message me concerning your availability.

If you have any questions about anything regarding Smogon or competitive battling in general feel free to ask as well.

I think it would be useful to allow moderators to alter the title of the tour, so that
upload_2017-2-19_20-8-32.png

can be customized. I've seen it most in the monotype room, hence the image, but people tend to not be able to get that there may be other rules for a tournament (again, particularly in monotype), and bring Ubers to a monotype ubers or bring regular 1v1 to AG 1v1. Obviously it isn't needed by every room, and proba ly wouldn't solve all problems, but it would cut down on the needless hassle and hold-up that so often happens.

Hi again.
I will ask my question here... I think it is not a simple question, but after examining all threads, I think this is the best site for it...

So...
I am a youth monitor of 11-13 years old students. In my club, we want to use pokemon showdown through an alternate reality game (ARG) to motivate our boys to participate in our activities and to be polite.

In this games, our students earn points weekly (I will not explain how because it would take me a lot of time). With this points, they have to choose one of the following weekly actions: capture pokemon, train pokemon, challenge other trainers or Gymn Leads, exchange pokémon with other trainers, and so on.

Our association will have two pokemon showdown accounts with the information of all the trainers teams. To simplify, we will play without objects.

The initial level of starter and wild pokemons is 50. When they train a pokemon o win a batle, their pokémon will level up. How many levels could a pokemon gain without affecting the balance? For example, if a level 50 pokemon is trained and gain 10 levels, the next week it can be overpowered. By the other hand, if a level 50 is trained and gain only 1 level, trainers can think it worths more to capture new pokemons instead of train your owns ones.

Thank you very much.
It depends on the Pokemon. For example, if my Unown gains 20 levels in a week, but can only use the mighty hidden power poison as an attacking move, it would not nearly be as 'overpowered' as, say, an Excadrill that gains only 5 levels in a week. Experiment with the level gain per week and adjust it depending on the amount of students choosing to train a Pokemon. If the level gain is too high, then you'll find that the most profitable option would be to train; if it's too low, you'll find no one actually training as it is not as efficient as catching wild Pokemon. I'm sorry if this doesn't exactly answer your question, but highly theoretical questions such as these are hard to answer in a concrete fashion. The only way you'll get a definitive answer is putting what I just said into practice.

this is an interesting question but let's say i had out tapu fini and sent out a tapu bulu with misty seed would that seed activate before the terrain change or would it just be a useless item?

It activates in the same turn that the relevant switch to change the terrain was made. So to answer your question, no, it would not be a useless item; it would activate the turn Tapu Bulu is sent out.

Last edited by a moderator:
It activates in the same turn that the relevant switch to change the terrain was made. So to answer your question, no, it would not be a useless item; it would activate the turn Tapu Bulu is sent out.
thx for the reply i figured it out like 2 days after it would have made him a great bulk up tank though

So I'm new to both Smogon and competitive battling. I'm familiar with the basics; IVs, EVs, Natures, etc... but I have no clue where to start when it comes to actual team building. What is a good resource for me to use to build a S/M team from scratch?

I ought to know by now, but can the mods unlock a thread 1) that I myself asked them to lock and 2) that I made? I have a defunct trade thread I made over five years ago and I like its sense of antiquity. I'd rather not duplicate the thread and make a brand new one if possible, although I'll do that if I have to.

So I'm new to both Smogon and competitive battling. I'm familiar with the basics; IVs, EVs, Natures, etc... but I have no clue where to start when it comes to actual team building. What is a good resource for me to use to build a S/M team from scratch?

Check out the viability rankings, good cores, sample teams and speed tiers for an idea of what is common and standard in a tier. From there, pick one of the 'good cores' and look at the viability rankings when building your team to get an idea of how your team thus far handles the threats on the rankings. After you've constructed your team, test it! The best way to gauge the effectiveness of your team is to practice with it a lot, even if it means that you will be facing a lot of defeats.

Here are the resources you need to consult when teambuilding. I will take them from OU as an example, but this applies to whatever tier you want to build for:

VR rankings
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sm-ou-viability-ranking-thread.3590726/

Speed tiers
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sm-ou-speed-tiers.3587531/

Good cores
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ou-good-cores.3591999/

Sample teams
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/xxxteamtacion.3595216/

If you have any further questions feel free to contact me.

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
Does anyone ever plan on updating or Creating a new "Introduction to Competitive battling" for Smogon? I think it it's extremely important that this be done but that is just my opinion. Currently the only I know of is from DPP and is quite outdated and old.

I've thinking of making giveaway thread and I was thinking of making my banner by myself. Question is, are there any suggested size in centimeters/inches for making a banner because I don't want to make it to small or too big.

Conni

katharsis
I've thinking of making giveaway thread and I was thinking of making my banner by myself. Question is, are there any suggested size in centimeters/inches for making a banner because I don't want to make it to small or too big.
It usually depends on your liking whether you want a thick banner or a thin one, personally I use 800 x 200 (w x h) because its kinda in the middle and I can draw or copy paste at least some pictures and it kinda fits nicely, but you'd always want your width to be significantly bigger than the height, like 500px is an ok distance.

Hope I helped and gl with your giveaway thread.

It usually depends on your liking whether you want a thick banner or a thin one, personally I use 800 x 200 (w x h) because its kinda in the middle and I can draw or copy paste at least some pictures and it kinda fits nicely, but you'd always want your width to be significantly bigger than the height, like 500px is an ok distance.

Hope I helped and gl with your giveaway thread.
Thanks man for the advice!

i was wondering if someone could give me a set for volcanion. my friend gave me a shiny volcanion with this set:
Volcanion@Choice Specs
Modest Nature
Water Absorb
ivs: 31/30/30/31/31/31
-Solarbeam
-Steam Eruption
-HP Ice
-Fire Blast
Any response would help me thx!

i was wondering if someone could give me a set for volcanion. my friend gave me a shiny volcanion with this set:
Volcanion@Choice Specs
Modest Nature
Water Absorb
ivs: 31/30/30/31/31/31
-Solarbeam
-Steam Eruption
-HP Ice
-Fire Blast
Any response would help me thx!
The best set for a pokemon depends on where it's fore. You can always look on the strategy pokedex, but the best set for doubles is going to be different from singles, or battle spot singles vs smogon ou wifi.

i meant singles ou
Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Earth Power

You'll want to EV train it and replace solarbeam with Sludge Bomb.

Last edited:
Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice]

You'll want to EV train it and replace solarbeam with Sludge Bomb.
why speed and not Hp like mine has? i thought he was very slow

With max Speed, you outpace non +spe Magearna and almost all slow and bulky stall pokemon to prevent them from recovering before Volcanion can attack.
oh i see but the hp investment lets him kill a adamant garchomp with hp ice if it isnt boosted cause it lives the eq he attacks with
tested this against my friend who gave me this abomination

Hey guys im new here, last night I got a pokemon on wonder trade and I want to know how rare this thing is. my cousin wants me to give him it cause hes been searching forever for one.
It is a 6IV shiny Shellos with Pokerus and Modest Nature. just how rare of a pokemon is this?

Hey guys im new here, last night I got a pokemon on wonder trade and I want to know how rare this thing is. my cousin wants me to give him it cause hes been searching forever for one.
It is a 6IV shiny Shellos with Pokerus and Modest Nature. just how rare of a pokemon is this?
that is like the rarest thing ever if ur gonna do it at least breed it with a destiny knot for a baby shellos with 5 of those ivs pokerus is rare enough , in fact rarer than shiny if that means anything what is he trading u?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)