Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Crestfall

levitate, levitate, levitate, levitate
From my experience hosting generally by 1-2 weeks the TDs will have responded to your tournament application with approval/denial with requests to make it approved. Ciele or Isa (both of these are Tournament Directors) may be able to give you a clearer answer since this is all based on personal interactions.

Not sure where to post this, but what is the process for sorting out the tiers once Sun and Moon are released? How long would it take to sort out all of the new Pokémon into their tiers? Asking for a competitive league that uses Smogon tiering for fairness.
Thank you.

Conni

katharsis
Not sure where to post this, but what is the process for sorting out the tiers once Sun and Moon are released? How long would it take to sort out all of the new Pokémon into their tiers? Asking for a competitive league that uses Smogon tiering for fairness.
Thank you.
Hey! Just letting you know, this is the right place to post this sort of question.
Well for each individual tier, the tier leader and the tier council will decide on Pokemon that belong in what tier due to their aspects (eg. stats, movepool)
and might quickban some Pokemon that they already find too good for the tier, of course people would have to try playing the new Pokemon and come up with competitive sets so they can test how useful they are in battle, then the tier leaders and council will have more time to think if they really belong in the tier or not, and would hold regular suspect tests. The process might take a few months depending on how much viable Pokemon that are released and have to be tested. My answer might satisfy you, but maybe you can ask a tier leader/moderator about this for more clarification.

I hope you gain something out of my answer :)

Hey! Just letting you know, this is the right place to post this sort of question.
Well for each individual tier, the tier leader and the tier council will decide on Pokemon that belong in what tier due to their aspects (eg. stats, movepool)
and might quickban some Pokemon that they already find too good for the tier, of course people would have to try playing the new Pokemon and come up with competitive sets so they can test how useful they are in battle, then the tier leaders and council will have more time to think if they really belong in the tier or not, and would hold regular suspect tests. The process might take a few months depending on how much viable Pokemon that are released and have to be tested. My answer might satisfy you, but maybe you can ask a tier leader/moderator about this for more clarification.
I hope you gain something out of my answer :)
where would I be able to find tier leaders/moderators for more clarification? thanks for your answer.

You aren't going to get much of an answer now. Right now we don't have enough information to even speculate.
I wasn't following Smogon tiers back when X and Y came out, so I was wondering what the process was when Gen 6 started/would Gen 7 be similar...

Mq

It's Megaqwer's Time!
Any idea how to deactivate sm0gon account other than getting banned?

I'm not sure that this is the right place to ask this, but I was wondering something about the UU format in the strategy dex (http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/formats/uu/). Under the list banned items, there seems to be an arbitrary selection of which mega stones are not allowed and which ones are: the stones of mons which are BL or OU are listed, but the ones which are Uber are not, while these are listed in the OU format. This also seems to hold for the RU and PU formats, but not for NU, where Kang's stone is listed. Would it not make more sense that all stones which are not allowed are listed, especially since it is not done consistently? If this is not the place to ask this, please let me know where I should have put it.
Edit: I noticed that the NU format is not entirely up to date, since Manectric's stone is not listed.

Last edited:

trace

tell me
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
I'm not sure that this is the right place to ask this, but I was wondering something about the UU format in the strategy dex (http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/formats/uu/). Under the list banned items, there seems to be an arbitrary selection of which mega stones are not allowed and which ones are: the stones of mons which are BL or OU are listed, but the ones which are Uber are not, while these are listed in the OU format. This also seems to hold for the RU and PU formats, but not for NU, where Kang's stone is listed. Would it not make more sense that all stones which are not allowed are listed, especially since it is not done consistently? If this is not the place to ask this, please let me know where I should have put it.
Edit: I noticed that the NU format is not entirely up to date, since Manectric's stone is not listed.
It's not listed on UU because the stones were banned from OU and the same goes for others tiers.

It's not listed on UU because the stones were banned from OU and the same goes for others tiers.
But why are the stones of Mawile and Kang listed in the NU format list? This seems rather inconsistent. Furthermore, for new players it may not be immediately clear why the megas which are uber are not listed, while those which are BL or OU are.
Edit: To clarify a bit: when I am a new player and I look at the banlist, I would notice that megas which are BL or OU are listed there, so they do not count as separate pokemon. So if I combine the non-megas in Uber, OU and BL plus the banned mega stones, I should know what I am allowed to use in UU. However, from this it would follow that I would be able to use mega Lucario, which of course I am not allowed to. I don't see the difference from something having been banned from OU in comparison to something banned from UU itself, or, if looking at PU for example, something banned from RU.

Last edited:

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
But why are the stones of Mawile and Kang listed in the NU format list? This seems rather inconsistent. Furthermore, for new players it may not be immediately clear why the megas which are uber are not listed, while those which are BL or OU are.
Edit: To clarify a bit: when I am a new player and I look at the banlist, I would notice that megas which are BL or OU are listed there, so they do not count as separate pokemon. So if I combine the non-megas in Uber, OU and BL plus the banned mega stones, I should know what I am allowed to use in UU. However, from this it would follow that I would be able to use mega Lucario, which of course I am not allowed to. I don't see the difference from something having been banned from OU in comparison to something banned from UU itself, or, if looking at PU for example, something banned from RU.
Note that the base Pokemon and the Megas are tiered differently. In this case, Mega Kang and Mega Mawile are Uber, while their base counter parts are NU/PU. Same goes for Charizard itself being usable and tiered itself in NU, while its Megas are OU. Rightfully, the UU format doesn't state that you can use Mega Lucario, as it states any Pokemon from Uber, OU, and BL may not be used, and Mega Lucario is placed in Uber.

But yea you're right in that it could get confusing as there is a lack of proper transitivity of banned Mega stones between tiers. I'll see if I can contact the proper channel to see if we should have transitivity in Mega stones ban list or should it only list those specific to the base forms allowed in the tier itself.

Thanks for posting! :)

Note that the base Pokemon and the Megas are tiered differently. In this case, Mega Kang and Mega Mawile are Uber, while their base counter parts are NU/PU. Same goes for Charizard itself being usable and tiered itself in NU, while its Megas are OU. Rightfully, the UU format doesn't state that you can use Mega Lucario, as it states any Pokemon from Uber, OU, and BL may not be used, and Mega Lucario is placed in Uber.

But yea you're right in that it could get confusing as there is a lack of proper transitivity of banned Mega stones between tiers. I'll see if I can contact the proper channel to see if we should have transitivity in Mega stones ban list or should it only list those specific to the base forms allowed in the tier itself.

Thanks for posting! :)
Thanks:) I personally think it would be best to just show all mega stones that are not allowed: the argument mega lucario is uber so lucarionite is not listed could just be replaced by mega lopunny is OU so it is not listed and I believe that does not make it more clear.

Edit: (and at least something should be done since UU, RU and NU all do it differently right now).

Last edited:
Uhm... Excuse me... How many messages required for custom user title?
You actually just need to earn a badge to get a custom title, no post count # required.

Also to the further above about draft leagues, it's highly unlikely because they aren't a part of Smogons culture much at all.

Conni

katharsis
Is there some sort of bug/glitch/problem that you have a gif that's smaller than 100KB but it says that it's bigger than 100KB?
Apparently, this happened for me in the past but I didn't think that it would happen again to be honest :( So I wanted to know
If needed the gif is here:

If anyone knows why please do tell me. Thanks in advance!

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Is there some sort of bug/glitch/problem that you have a gif that's smaller than 100KB but it says that it's bigger than 100KB?
Apparently, this happened for me in the past but I didn't think that it would happen again to be honest :( So I wanted to know
If needed the gif is here:

If anyone knows why please do tell me. Thanks in advance!
It's something to do with the dimensions I think. A user asked this question a couple of months ago.
Oglemi said:
The problem comes from the file size + dimensions of the image. It can go up to 100 KB but not 200x200 pixels at the same time, the error just doesn't specify that.
I think you need to make the size smaller than 200x200 pixels for it to work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 8)