Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

every now and then I get ghost alerts where I get a number for alerts popping up but there's nothing in the notification box. just now I had 3 alerts that turned up empty. does anyone know what might be causing this or how to make it stop? it's been going on for a little while now and it's getting quite obnoxious.

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
every now and then I get ghost alerts where I get a number for alerts popping up but there's nothing in the notification box. just now I had 3 alerts that turned up empty. does anyone know what might be causing this or how to make it stop? it's been going on for a little while now and it's getting quite obnoxious.
it's when someone posts something that would normally notify you, but the post gets deleted. or someone likes your post, but unlikes it after. something along those lines.

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Hey all,

New to Smogon. Usually I play on Nugget Bridge, but with their recent downtime I'm looking for an additional competitive battling community. Just curious what the major VGC tournaments/competitions are on this website. I see lots of tournaments, but just curious which ones play with VGC circuit rules and where I should begin. Thanks in advance!
Our VGC discussions/tournaments are localized here, so that would be a good place to start. Signups actually just closed for a tournament, but I'm sure there will be more; the mods (and community) are working hard to build it up. I know your account is old, but welcome to Smogon all the same!

edit: looks like signups are still open for the secret santa tournament

Last edited:
Hello I am a longtime Pokemon gamer and new to competitive battling. If I am looking for team building suggestions where is the best place to post? I have researched a lot and know the basics but I have questions in regards to specific Pokemon and weaknesses, etc.

Thanks in advance

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Hi, I've realized that some users have "I could be banned" and "banned deucer." as their status thing, Is that some sort of warning or is it just a meme? I don't get it o.O

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi, I've realized that some users have "I could be banned" and "banned deucer." as their status thing, Is that some sort of warning or is it just a meme? I don't get it o.O
"I COULD BE BANNED!" is a custom warning for forum users that have received 3 infraction points for rule-breaking offenses.
If the users in question keep ignoring this last warning and still misbehave, they will receive a 4th infraction point, resulting in an imminent ban.
Once these users have been banned, their username will be crossed through and their previous custom warning will be changed to "Banned deucer."

More information about Smogon's Global Rules can be found here.
More information about Smogon's Warnings can be found here.

I hope that this answered your question.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leo

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
"I COULD BE BANNED!" is a custom warning for forum users that have received 3 infraction points for rule-breaking offenses.
If the users in question keep ignoring this last warning and still misbehave, they will receive a 4th infraction point, resulting in an imminent band.
Once these users have been banned, their username will be crossed through and their previous custom warning will be changed to "Banned deucer."

More information about Smogon's Global Rules can be found here.
More information about Smogon's Warnings can be found here.

I hope that this answered your question.
Oh, I had no idea. Thanks for the information :D

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello I am a longtime Pokemon gamer and new to competitive battling. If I am looking for team building suggestions where is the best place to post? I have researched a lot and know the basics but I have questions in regards to specific Pokemon and weaknesses, etc.

Thanks in advance
It depends on what kind of teambuilding suggestions you are looking for!

IF:

- you are looking for general information on Pokemon for ideas on how to build a team, check out the metagame-specific thread discussions that you can find scattered in this forum.

- you have already built a team and want advice on how to improve it, check out the Rate my Team forum. If you follow the RMT posting guidelines, people may post in your thread with advice and suggestions on how to change your team.

Good luck!

why are the gen 7 formats on pokemon showdown all pokebank?
Expanding on the above, Pokebank is being released in the very near future. From our experience with the gen 6 Pokebank, we can make a very educated guess on what the gen 7 pokebank will work like. Tiering is also focusing on Pokebank, likely leading to increased popularity and importance of those ladders. Tiering is focusing Pokebank because those will be primary metagames when the Pokebank is released, and the primary metagames for the majority of gen 7.

The RMT threads say specifically not to ask about teams that are untested. Where can I go to ask about what would be a good Pokémon to fill a final spot on my team or just for team-building advice?

is there any way to prevent images from automatically downsizing? i've got a screenshot LP that I just posted the first update to here and at the moment the images are too small to be readable, requiring that they be clicked on to be read, which is pretty unwieldy. is there any way to get them to display full size?

NEEEEEVER MIND it was because the images in question were under a hide tag

Last edited:
So, quick question, how do I make a post on the forums? I've tried posting, but I can't find a "post on forums" button anywhere?
This is a post on forums. You type what you want to say in the thread in the box like you just did, and hit post reply. Some threads cannot be responded to because they are old and locked (Ie most ORAS threads) or restricted to certain posters (Like Policy Review).

Sorry, I meant to say make a new thread on a forum. My bad!

EDIT: Basically, I'm trying to create a thread on this http://www.smogon.com/forums/find-new/31777496/posts
You pick a particular forum, like the SM OU RMT forum here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/sm-ou-teams.409/
and click post a new thread. You then type out what you want the first post in the thread to say, and your title. be sure to read the rules of the Forum/Subforum, which can be generally found in a "sticky post" (The ones with a red pin on them), and follow the instructions. For a while, you'll probably want to just respond in threads (Most of the obvious threads are already made), but if you have something to add and have checked for duplicates & the rules, then go for it.

You pick a particular forum, like the SM OU RMT forum here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/sm-ou-teams.409/
and click post a new thread. You then type out what you want the first post in the thread to say, and your title. be sure to read the rules of the Forum/Subforum, which can be generally found in a "sticky post" (The ones with a red pin on them), and follow the instructions. For a while, you'll probably want to just respond in threads (Most of the obvious threads are already made), but if you have something to add and have checked for duplicates & the rules, then go for it.

Oh, okay. Thanks for the help!

Why has none of the staff answered my appeal yet? I've been waiting for them to respond for nearly a month now.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not sure if this is an error or a gag but the Site Staff badge is now a small Arcanine.

what lol hahaha that sounds hilarious :p probably a bug on your end. Try Ctrl + F5 hard refresh and see if it fixes it. Could be some cache problem in your browser.

Why has none of the staff answered my appeal yet? I've been waiting for them to respond for nearly a month now.
Are you referring to PS Discipline Appeals?

In the "Rate my Team" forums, There is a format for posting your team that is common/agreed on. I wish to follow the same format for my posting on the forums, but I don't know how people put the models of their Pokemon before they list all of their information on that Pokemon. How exactly would I do this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)