Smogon Simple Questions/Suggestions

Why is my number of posts incorrectly displayed? It seems stuck at 20, but in reality I've made 64 posts (inc. this one).
The giveaways forum does not give you added post count, due to how effortless it is to get a lot of posts from there. The same goes for the ASB forum.

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this...

I was wondering which is best between modest or timid nature for a sheer force nidoking/queen. I was going to go modest for the added sp attk but I encountered a timid female before the modest one so now I have both natures on hustle nidorans F and I don't know which nature I should breed first...

Thanks!

Where did the phrase "no johns" and the other variations come from? Did that originate from Smogon?
No Johns comes from the competitive Smash bros. community. A player in the Crystal City, Texas Melee scene named John would constantly make excuses - like that there was something in his eye - for his losses. The crew would joke about it and as they traveled to tournaments it began to gain exposure. It also spread on smashboards which at the time the best place to discuss smash.

Basically a John is an excuse, Johning is making excuses, and No Johns means no excuses. It's kind of crossed over to other games.

Threw

cohiba
Ok, here's something I've been wondering since the day I got on here but keep forgetting to ask:

What's the deal with the "[please excuse our look during redesign!]" at the top of the page? It's been there for at least the almost 3 months I've been here and I haven't noticed any major changes in that timespan, so what's the reasoning behind it? Is there actually a major overhaul on the horizon, or is it just a "we're a constant work in progress" type thing?

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Ok, here's something I've been wondering since the day I got on here but keep forgetting to ask:

What's the deal with the "[please excuse our look during redesign!]" at the top of the page? It's been there for at least the almost 3 months I've been here and I haven't noticed any major changes in that timespan, so what's the reasoning behind it? Is there actually a major overhaul on the horizon, or is it just a "we're a constant work in progress" type thing?
This may not be 100% accurate, but as far as I am aware, they never got around to making the forums prettier (concentrating more on dex) and it's more like a slogan now really.

Last edited:

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
how to hidetag
How do you write the hide tags? I can't seem to remember...

Never mind, just happened to find it browsing through the earlier parts of the thread
this

Last edited by a moderator:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

It's been like that ever since we migrated to using XenForo a couple years ago and hasn't changed. The forum / dex / site receives updates every now and then but the slogan stays as it's become a bit of a joke amongst the community, just like how it says "fat [name]" at the top of quotes.

It may disappear (but will probably stay for the joke) if we move to another forum software again (not everyone loves XenForo)...

I'm new to Smogon and I'd like to start a giveaway for some spitbacks I have, but I can't see any button for starting a thread. I can still post on other's threads and I don't really know what I've done wrong to have 'insufficient privileges?'

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
The thread is here.

I'm not sure what the current plans for it are (I believe discussion is underway) but for now it's just staying in Closed Forums.

I'm new to Smogon and I'd like to start a giveaway for some spitbacks I have, but I can't see any button for starting a thread. I can still post on other's threads and I don't really know what I've done wrong to have 'insufficient privileges?'
Same. Also confused about this. I would like to start trading but I can't make offers without a thread. :(

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This may not be 100% accurate, but as far as I am aware, they never got around to making the forums prettier (concentrating more on dex) and it's more like a slogan now really.
we're actually still working on it, it's just progressing slowly.

Same. Also confused about this. I would like to start trading but I can't make offers without a thread. :(
this is odd, i'll look into it more tomorrow.

Also, does anyone know what happened to the Intro Hub / Introduce Yourself thread? :(
it was closed with the re-aligning of forums. we want to encourage new users to just dive into competitive discussion, instead of posting once in an intro thread then diving in anyway.

i think i have encountered a bug.. at pokemonshowdown, I submitted a picture at the link where you report stuff and i have not got any replies or feedback about it.

Screenshot_2016-03-09-07-52-09.png

I got paralyzed and poisoned. Not sure if that's the new meta now. and sorry for posting it here because i do not think the forum i posted it in is still alive.

cant say edit: try not to triple post. either say everything you wanna say in your original post, or add stuff to it using the 'edit' button

Last edited by a moderator:

Sobi

Banned deucer.
I got paralyzed and poisoned. Not sure if that's the new meta now. and sorry for posting it here because i do not think the forum i posted it in is still alive.
Hey.

This isn't the correct place to post bug reports (and nor is the PS! bug reports thread, in case you were wondering). Also, the app is not affiliated with Pokemon Showdown and/or Smogon in any way, as it is a third party app. However, you can post the bug here, and you can also inform the developer of the app (who isn't dead), user: RainFountain. Hope I helped.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hi!
I've been trying to get into the VGC 2016 meta recently, and being a former OU/Classic Hackmons player, the Doubles environment has been new to me. I read the Smog article explaining it, but I'm still kind of confused. Where should I look?

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Pretty much what you have now... I think if you had any more under the size you have it would get cut off as it is a hard limit.
Do you know the measurements [max] for a signature? I want to make a banner, but I don't want it to be too big.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Do you know the measurements [max] for a signature? I want to make a banner, but I don't want it to be too big.
I just used Snipping tool on your sig and I got 520wx120h so those are pretty rough limits... I think the width is as wide as the forum goes, but I think 120 is basically the vertical max.

The Gunner

formerly Enzo Gorlami
is a Tiering Contributor
Hi.
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, but every time someone tags me on a post, I usually do not receive a notification. I'm not sure if this is because of a setting I might've changed, or just Smogon itself. Can someone help me out?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)