Smogon Tournament #7 - Round 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Smogon Tournament #7

Welcome all to this year's edition of the Official Smogon Tournament. As you all know, this is our premier Standard OU tournament, held each year to crown a sole champion of our standard metagame. On the line is a trophy, bragging rights and a place in Smogon history... let's just say if you walk out of this thing on top, you are kind of a big deal.

How to Join or Host a Tournament

Registration Thread

Prediction Thread

Rounds: 1 2 3

Specific Rules

• This is a standard DPP OU tournament.
  • Matches are to be played on Shoddy Battle (CAP Server) OR Pokemon Online (Smogon University or Pokemon Online Server). I only say this because the timer does not yet work properly on Smogon University, so PO might be a better bet. Also note, Shoddy does not have the newest event moves whereas PO does.
Standard Rules and Clauses

• Species Clause: A player cannot have two of the same pokémon on their team. For example, a player cannot have two Koffing on his or her team.
  • Sleep Clause: A player cannot put two or more different opposing Pokémon to sleep using attacks that induce sleep to opposing pokémon.
  • Evasion Clause: A player cannot increase their Pokémon's evasion stat with a move that specifically increases evasion. Items or indirect boosts do not break this clause.
  • OHKO Clause: Players cannot use Horn Drill, Guillotine, Sheer Cold, or Fissure in any of their Pokémon's movesets.
  • Battle Timeout: If a player exhausts the timer, he/she loses.
  • Uber Clause: Pokemon that are in the Ubers Tier are not allowed to be used. The tier list can be found here.

Questions and Answers
  • Q: Should I save a log of my match as proof of my victory?
    • Yes. While it is not mandatory to show us the log of your victory, it is the only proof you have in the case of a dispute and it is always a good practice to keep the logs of your tournament matches.
  • Q: Will there be a Predictions Tournament like last year?
    • Yes. It is linked at the top of this thread. Hurry and submit your predictions, and be sure not to battle before the prediction deadline is up!
  • If I was rejected, can I at least sign up as a sub?
    • A: No.
    --------NEW!!!---------
  • Q: What happened to Self KO Clause?
    • It was agreed upon in Policy Review here that the clause was "uncompetitive". As a result, if a match ends in a tie, it will count as though no match occurred. This means another match must be played, with whatever team you wish.
Finally, after much debate, it was decided that this years edition of the tournament will be Best of Three format. This means that players will play until one of them wins two games. Players are allowed to switch teams completely between games, or use the same team, it is completely up to the player. If players only partially complete a series before the deadline, it will be considered an uncompleted battle and action will be taken accordingly, either an activity win or a coin flip.

Rulings

Last, here are some rulings to cover any and all possible disputes that could arise, as we know people like to find loopholes:

Identity

I expect many battles to be completed under alts. This can be bad for tournament security, and thus I will make this clear: If I hear any whispers of identity theft (battling as someone you are not) or proxy battling (helping someone else battle through pm) I will not be pleased and I will take severe actions.

Scouting

Next, I do not want to hear anything about counterteaming, at all. Do not complain about it. I also don't want to hear about any blatant scouting. There is a difference between "[user] is known for using stall" and "let me follow [user] around all day to watch all his battles since I am his opponent". I expect a lot of the former and none of the latter.

With that said, I give permission to all battlers to ask any person spectating their battle to leave if they do not want them watching.

Timer Clause

As for taking long between moves, if your opponent asks you to hurry up, please oblige. If you are doing a damage calc for a key turn that is one thing, but prolonging every move is suspicious and annoying. Don't do it. Furthermore, Battle Timeout is a rule for a reason. If you run out of time, you lose, simple as that. It does not matter what your opponent says. Do not battle if you think you will have to leave mid battle, and instead reschedule for a better time.

Disconnections

Finally, in the case of a disconnect, the decision is in the hands of the player who did not disconnect. The options are: redo the battle move for move, redo the battle with the same teams but different moves, or redo the battle with completely different teams. If the battle was without a doubt over, they may also take the win. Any suspicion that a disconnect was committed on purpose to redo a match may be appealed to me, and if I feel this happened there will be severe consequences, don't do it.

I know that was a lot to read, but it is all necessary for me to have posted here so everyone can see it in the case of a dispute. I don't want any confusion or any problems.

If you have any questions, please PM them to a Tournament Director. If they aren't answered by this thread, then I will add it to the Questions and Answers section of this thread.

With all that out of the way, let's get to the pairings!

PAIRINGS:
Ditto vs TV-Rocka
BlisseyofDoom vs HBK
StevenSnype vs Vaz
ToF vs Sarenji
reachzero vs WhiteQueen
panamaxis vs Delta 2777
Optimusje vs Class
husk vs Buba
PttP vs Alaka
Zak91 vs Chronicles
goofball vs Golden Sun
Farmer vs EspyJoel
CriCri95 vs symphonyx64
sasu vs 199 Lives
M Dragon vs TheFourthChaser
NailsOU vs Towelie
Gouki vs Atticus
imperfectluck vs Ginku
george182 vs tito
Nachos vs Herocross
IronBullet93 vs Dubulous
DetroitLolcat vs shade
Xiang vs .CarloO~
Heist vs zfs

SUBSTITUTES:
None. No more subs will be allowed into the tournament after Round 1.

The deadline for this round is Tuesday, February 22, 2011 at 11:59pm EST. This is a hard deadline and there will be no extensions. With such a large amount of people playing, we will not be considerate if you have not completed your battle. If your battle is incomplete, you run the risk of losing to a coin toss.

If your battle is incomplete and the deadline is approaching, send a Tournament Director a PM saying why you haven't done your battle. We will use these to judge activity, and will call matches if one person has been much more active than the other.

Who will be the undisputed king of DPP? It's time to find out. Good luck everyone!

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
DO NOT BATTLE UNTIL 48 HOURS FROM THE TIME OF THIS POST TO GIVE TIME FOR PREDICTIONS

Be sure to submit your predictions here!

Good luck everyone, some STELLAR matchups this round. Last round was the round of upsets, and it looks like were going to lose a bunch more good players this round simply due to luck of the draw. 48 remain. May the best man win.

Bartman101

Banned deucer.
6A9 Ace Matador, gave an unbiased opinion, and said that I deserved to get the activity win.

(See post #17 for info)

^^^
stop whining

Also, while there are plenty of good match-ups this round, I didn't see any epic "omg must watch this" match-ups. Made me sad. :(

symphonyx64

Private messages are the best way to reach me
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
WTF? how did Blissey get through when I was clearly more active, did you not get my PM?

He did not reply to me, as he said he would do, once his internet was working.... (showing more activity for me)

He didn't even tell me his timezone until, like, 3 days before the deadline...

I was on for at least 15 hours over the weekend and I didn't see BlisseyofDoom on at all...

So, what did Blissey PM you?

Why do you believe that a coin flip was the right thing to do?

Also, what did you mean in the round 3 thread when you said

It was not 1-1, we did not do any of our matches....

EDIT: ok then, here's the full story, all the truth.

I VMed him on the 24th on Jan. He did not reply until the 27th, when he claimed he was having 'computer problems' and that he would get hold of me once it was fixed.

He DID NOT do this, I had to send him another VM, on the 2nd of Feb, to which he replied, that his computer was now working, but he was still working on his team... This was just 5 days before Jackal closed the thread. It was also only then when I learnt that his timezone was GMT+8, and with mine being GMT, the weekend was our best bet.

That Saturday I was on for at least 8 hours, from 1pm-9pm. I could not have been on earlier, as I woke up at 9am, ate breakfast, got dressed, and went to Karate at 9.30AM, and got back at 12:30pm, then I had a shower+lunch. I didn't see BlisseyofDoom online, even at 1pm, when it was just 9pm his time.

On Sunday I was on from around 2pm-9pm. I could not have been on earlier because the place where I want to do my work experience phoned me, saying I had an interview at 12pm. I did wake up quite late on Sunday, at around 10.30AM, but it was another eat and go, as the place is quite far away. I had planned to get back at around 1pm, again, but I could not as the guy who was chairing the interview was 45 mins late... So I got back at almost 2pm, ate, and was on the computer until 9pm, doing homework at the same time, but checking BlisseyofDoom's profile every 15mins or so, but, again, I did not see him online.

Surely I deserved to get the activity win?
This isn't Twitter or Facebook. I bet Jackal would be more inclined to read a private message than this thread looking for complaints. Its bad enough that you're insulting every American as being fat.

By the way, a lot of great matches this round. Competition is surely heating up.

6A9 Ace Matador, gave an unbiased opinion, and said that I deserved to get the activity win.

(See post #17 for info)
Bias? I never said you didn't deserve the activity win. I just said that a complaint doesn't fix much. So I said "Stop whining." There was no bias in my post, because there was no opinion in my post.

Gouki vs Atticus
panamaxis vs Delta 2777

These aren't epic???

I would love to see these
I think I'm dyslexic. Cuz I read the list twice and never even saw Atticus. :/

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Clash of the little cuppers. Played Towelieee tons of times in LC, never in OU though... shouldn't be difficult to get this done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)